•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

dequelo

Cloners , Cloning And Clones

Dequilo, nice presentation, did not know you could submerge one of those tank heaters..

kiefer, love Oscars, had one that would jump out of water and grab your finger..

um, i was only talking about the bubble cloners or cloning in general.....it is not necessary to use anything but water.....

i use LK throughout my grow, just not cloning....

ok, im sorry, im glad you use LK though ;)

UM

Dequilo, nice presentation, did not know you could submerge one of those tank heaters..

kiefer, love Oscars, had one that would jump out of water and grab your finger..

Yeah! You can pet them too, they'll even recognize their master and shun other people. The eye-spot on the tail is supposed to confuse piranha and discourage tail nipping (it's supposed to look like the oscar has a head on each end, so the piranha doesn't know which end to attack)...it might be true...they are the only fish that get along with my piranha other than Plecostomus.

Pure Blend Pro and Liquid Karma under a 400 watt MH. it wwas my mother for a long time and put out top notch cuttings.

Hey man, what's the difference between "Pure Blend" and "Pure Blend Pro"? Are they both active product lines now? I was gifted a bottle of "Pure Blend", and was wondering what the differences were before trying it out.

Hey man, what's the difference between "Pure Blend" and "Pure Blend Pro"?

Hey, good question and i don't reall know that there is a real difference. Botanicare stuff like pure blend is a highly respected product of american agritech. ive used it for a long time with the Pure Blend Pro/cal mag/liquid karma formula and thats all i plan on using because it has always worked so well for me. ive experemented with many differet ferts(earth juice, fox farm etc) and i find that this simple formula, along with some molasses is all i really need to succeed. Although, i have been reading a little bit about biobizz products. They sound pretty nice. perhaps i will start a thread about them.

UM

www.americanagritech.com

I hope that I am not "jacking" this thread. I think this is the correct place to post this as the thread starter named this one "Cloners, Cloning And Clones, a little bit about cloning". Hopefully the information in this thread will help others improve their clone game or get some good ideas on how to. ;)

To anyone interested in making a very cheap, very effective, small, mass cloner that costs less than $5 USD:

This is NOT my invention, however I do use it with great success. It is super easy to use and is very effective! I believe the inventor and all credit should go to "budleydoright" from ICmag.

Here it is:

15799wally_cloner_006-thumb.jpg

Here in the states you can pick one up at the evil corporate giant - Walmart. You can probably find them in other stores as well. It is an ice-cube tray that makes icecubes for water bottles. The ice cubes form in a cylinder shape so they can be slipped into your PolandSpring bottled water. I have also heard of others using popsicle makers to do this. But this thing works awesome.

The only other things you need are some perilite or a verm/peri mix to use as your substrate and a tub that will act as your res as the tray sits in it.

Just take a tiny drillbit and make 1-3 holes in the bottom of each cap. Fasten the blue pop-on-top, flip it over, submerge the caps in water, only a bit higher. You can add some cloning solution if you'd like, but not necessary. Fill with your sub. I like about a 50/50 verm/peri mix. You can number each slot if you'd like with a Sharpie to keep track of each cutting. If you'd like you can pop out the early rooting strains 1st, leaving the others in for a bit longer, while freeing up some room for more cuttings. There is a total of 27 slots which is plenty for me. ;)

The water is wicked up and provides a great water/air ratio. I have used this with and without rooting hormone. Great results either way. You can also get a dome if you'd like, but this isnt absolutely necessary either. In about 10 days you will have visible roots. You can leave in longer to let a more mature root system develope.

When you want to remove the clone, just uncap it, lie it on its side and use something that is round so you can push out the sub and cutting as one. If you use straight perilite you can also just pick them out w/ a small tool. I actually use a DutchMaster cigar holder to push them out the top. Its the plastic single cigar tube with the sticker pealed off and slightly sanded to fit perfect.

One very important thing is proper temp. If you temps are too cold you may want a small heat-mat to increase your temps. Be very careful, as too high of a temp will cause major stem rot and fungus/mold. ;)

If you are looking for a very affordable, DIY tiny mass cloner, this is definitely worth checking out. Since I started using this method I have about a 90% success rate and could easily have 100% if I stayed on top of temp and moisture a little bit more.

If you need more clones you can apply this wick method to a tub inside a tub with mop strings or rope as the wicks and the entire tub full with perilite. This allows you to place as many cuttings as you can fit side by side. Just allow the wicks to go up into the sub and be sure that the wick material acts as a good water absorber.

I hope that this information can help others as it has helped me to get my clone game where it needs to be. Remember to keep it simple. This is a set it and forget it piece of equipment. It takes about 15 minutes to build and costs you a whopping 5 bucks.

Enjoy - MedicineMan :D

I used to use an aero cloner and I found it to be too high maintainance and easily contaminated. I had to clean every part and change the mix weekly. My homemade cloner works way better. But I have had better success using nothing but water than any cloning solution or addition of cloning solution.

I think it may depend on your climate, grow set up etc, to see which works best for you. The moment I add any food, I got algae. But that really was an aero cloner problem. But I still get roots with water. I have been cloning successfully in cups of water with a neoprene puck holding the cut , floating in plain water too.

It's best not to interact with people you find unpleasant and or put themselves at risk. For your own mental well being and safety... it's just one less thing to have to worry about.

Peace.

Well...once again @ the request of the thread starter....I am going to do some cleanup in here...;)

This is the part of being a mod that sucks...

Peace...wpw

Medicineman,

your cloning method is definitely a no brainer, you have to love wick methods, set it up and forget it till it roots.. of course i think it is a bit expensive.. :D l

I just use the bottoms of a couple of 2 liter bottles, an old shoe string, and vermiculite ;)

i do tattoo the stem with root powder also.

like to keep temps around 75*

works great with plain water, or i like to use couple shots of peroxide, small amount of flowering nute, couple of aspirins.. and very little light.

to remove the cuts after rooted all you do is flood the vermiculite with water and pull the rooted clones out.. no harm done to the roots.

I do 20 cuts at a time ;)

gallery_697_370_30554.jpg

Thanks Shaman. Gotta love the Ronco "set it and forget it" method like his commercial for that rotisserie oven :)

@ KeenKutter: Yea...I gues $3.99 is a bit steep for some :D

Only thing is...when ever I bring up this thread my pic is x'd out. If you click show picture after right clicking it seems to pop up. What am I doing wrong when posting pics? Anyone?

Well, I just edited the thread w/ a new link to the pic so hopefully the masses and catch a peek of this magically lil machine. Enjoy! -MedMan :rofl

I'm curious to see how the rapid rooters work in it...

Using rapid rooters was a total waste of time. I thought they'd work, but they stayed way too wet, no matter how little of the plug had contact with the water. I say, use them for the tray that they were made for, or upside down in a cup like I do. The only thing to root was a Campsis radicans...but then those are kind of crazy plants anyway.

Rapid rooters might be ok for this setup as a mino hydro seedling propagator, where you grow the seedling in a pitpot, then cut a square in the rapid rooter, and insert the pitpot, and plop that into the bubble cloner with a ppm sufficient for seedlings...then you could transplant from that into beer cups, or go a long time, and directly into your larger pots.

As for this bubble cloner AND rapid rooter plugs for CLONING...they ain't cloning but two things - Jack and Shit, and Jack left town...

Having a problem figuring what you are saying Kiefer about putting a rapid rooter in a pitpot. They are practically the same thing. Yes they would stay way to wet they are practically a sponge. If I was going to try that, which I am not, I wouldn't put the rapid rooter in direct contact with the water anyway.

Ok folks I thought I would up some current photos of some cuttings in the tubblers

the cuts are Sanie's JackBerry x BlurKronic , these cuts are from some unsexed seed plants and I did forget to

label them ( the cutz ) so the will be sexed in the future

so here we go

these photos were taken on 12-7-2008

the plant to cut

gallery_164_500_68395.jpg

I cut off about half of top growth to root , a shot after the cut

gallery_164_500_4746.jpg

then into the tubbler

gallery_164_500_95800.jpg

I do not mist or use a dome , Itry to keep it as smiple as possible cut, dip, then wait for roots

at one time I would soak my rockwool overnight in rockwool conditioner, but I found if I just soak it for a few

minutes before I use it that is more then enough

gallery_164_500_86383.jpg

gallery_164_500_42052.jpg

gallery_164_500_15674.jpg

I like the gel but have used others or none and they still root

here is a couple of days after the cut no wilt

gallery_164_502_60891.jpg

gallery_164_502_79068.jpg

looking good

there is one week after taking the cuttings I still have no root as my water is on the cooler side but I have no dead

cuts , they just root only a little slower

gallery_164_511_119287.jpg

gallery_164_511_8806.jpg

so here is 12-20-2008 which is about 2 weeks since the cutting they now have roots :grinning_respect:

gallery_164_528_118392.jpg

gallery_164_528_103815.jpg

I did fill the tubs with some females for a SOG I will be doing some day soon but that is another thread :specool

12-24-2008 it took 17 days to get good roots with the cooler water with a fish tak heater in the water they would

have rooted quicker but I am in no hurry so it took as long as it took

but into soilless they go in 3.5 square pot for now

gallery_164_536_78030.jpg

gallery_164_536_97712.jpg

nice healthy roots

gallery_164_536_97712.jpg

then under a four foot shoplight for awhile

gallery_164_536_7359.jpg

I fill my tubs right up with water to start with then top them off once before the roots show after that just the mist

from the bubble are enough

air is the key , no air your cttings will rot much ezer

so a good airstone is a must and clean it good between uses

gallery_164_536_65374.jpg

a tub full of GDP cuts for a SOG

the icecube tray is a cool idea , I have rooted many many cuttings of many many kinds of plants and by far this is the ezest way I have used

the air pump is the most costly part of the tubblers but I have had mine for years , I do buy new tubbler from time to time as they seem to get used for other things when I am not using them

but it is all about what works for you in your grow

all the best and stay safe

Dequelo

ibeen looking at making one of these!!! my way of cloning aint cutting it these days/!!!! so i wanna try something new!!! i here alot of good things about these!!

They work well, weedy....I'll never go back to peat pellets....:grinning_respect:

Peace...wpw

They work well, weedy....I'll never go back to peat pellets....:grinning_respect:

Peace...wpw

that settles it i am gunna build one today!!

weedy they make rooting cuttings ez

I get 100% with no work

be safe and be free

Dequelo

the root shots are killer dequelo,that cloner looks like it works great.

i have a hard time with water cloners thou as i live in a warmer climate, might be ok in some months of the winter....what is the ideal temp for optimum results with that sytem?

well built it last night.... let it run all night and works perfect!! got a 10 hole cloner. water stays at 70* and i am gunna cut some clones this mornig and hope they all make it!!!

wasnt to hard a project. took about 20 minutes to build!! had most everything. all i needed was the tub!!! i will get some pics this morning!!!

got some pics as soon as the wife wakes up and shows me how to upload the pics from the camera to comp. i will post them!!

ok finally get the chance to post!!!

got it set up and let it run all through the night!!

gallery_1064_542_59130.jpg

woke up this morning to check the temp and it was at 70* so i decided to start using the new toy!!

gallery_1064_542_38452.jpg

gallery_1064_542_70357.jpg

gallery_1064_542_48484.jpg

gallery_1064_542_86802.jpg

took 10 clones

3 super silver haze

3 bottle rocket

3 columbian red

1 jack here x aurora indica

i will let you know in a week how things went!!

• Like 1

Guest Big V

Looks awsome weedy!

I was just going to ask Dequelo if I could put the roots right into the water without rockwool.

Be sure to post the results.

i think so i dont see why not!! i think i have seen it done this way!! but i will keep you posted

You can just stick the cuttings in the water & they will root just fine Big V....:grinning_respect:

Peace...wpw