•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

dequelo

Cloners , Cloning And Clones

Guest Big V
good to hear!!! glad it works for you too!!! what ratio do you have as far as how many rooted???? mine is 5 outta 10, also my first time!!

Right now there are 8 of 10 that have roots but I will wait a few more days to discount them. They may just be lagging behind.

Great thread D

the mass of root that u get and the thickness of the stalk

as they move onto veg is really impressive

it's got me on the way out to the shed to get some bits that i've lyin about

steal a tub of the missus and I'll have it set-up and give it try

much respect

this is why I like opengrow it's stimulating me to try different methods

dragon

so hows that cloner coming along dragon!!! my second run and a week later i have 6 outta 10 so far!!!

Hey weedy well i've found all the bits I need but it's been

a bit hectic today so I haven't had the time however

I have reservations about using rockwool, just don't like the stuff not good for yer health

so I may do a trial with Jiffy plugs and/or sannie's pitpots

must admit it'll be really strange for me because i'm used to dippin them in clone gel then straight into soil

soaked with highland spring water with a poly bag over the pot held with an elastic band under flouros

and I can't remember the last time I lost a clone :tu

take care all

dragon

Nicely done dequelo, now I find myself not only missing growing, but missing my bubble cloner.

I used one for years with no real problems, and I think I learned all the ins, and outs of doing so.

It was Outkastt that got me into using a bubble cloner back on OG, I never regretted it for one day either, it is one of the simplest ways to clone, whether growing hydro, or soil/soil-less.

A few things I learned, do NOT use any additives like rooting hormones of any kind, they are not needed at all, and especially do not add any kind of nutrients, they are not needed, if you do either of these things you run a risk of having the slimy stem rot killing off your clones, I know because it happened to me before I figured out what the culprit was.

Also as mentioned, having the water too warm will cause the stem rot as well.

Light does matter in my opinion, because by nature roots grow into the ground, and into darkness, there is no need to have lights getting to the roots as they play no part at all in photosynthesis.

Having light getting to the water, and or roots, can cause you to have algae form in the water, which of course will cause stem rot, and kill your clones.

The only thing I ever added to my bubble cloner on occasion was a drop or two of peroxide, that was only in the summer months when it got a little warmer, I did so as a precautionary step to try to keep the slimy root rot from setting in.

Some of you may remember I would use little pieces of aquarium tubing with a slit cut through it for my clone collars, granted it was small, and made you have to be very careful when opening them up to remove the clones, but they never really gave me a problem.

If one goes that method I highly suggest at least getting 3/8" fuel line from a store like advance auto, it is much easier to work with..

Let me add a few comments/tips...

When you clone this way there a a few rules I like to go by, some are already stated above.

Let no light get to the water.

Have your stems submerged at least an inch and a half, or two, this helps in case your water evaporates too quickly.

Check the cloner every once and a while to see if it has had water evaporate, if so top it off.

Keep the water around 2 inches from the top of the cloner, so the water does not bubble out.

Try to make sure your air stone stays at the bottom, it works best that way, if the stone is too close to the stems it can kill the clones for some reason, I noticed this when my tube got disconnected form the air stone, and floated up to my stems, all the clones near the end of the tube died.

Do not use a humidity dome, the plants do not need one, and IME using one hurts more than it helps.

Every time a set of clones is done, dump your water and use fresh water, de-chlorinated of course.

I used well water, and had no chlorine, but I'd still bubble my water overnight to be sure nine was present, I also wanted to let the water warm up.

Keep your water from 75-80F max for best results, any warmer and you will get stem rot, 75 pretty much is the optimal temperature, but I went for 78F myself.

One other tip, when cloning this way, if you do go from the cloner to soil then do not let the clones stay rooted up in the water too long, around 3-7 days is the most I'd let mine stay in there once roots were present.

This is because the roots become what is considered water roots, opposed to air roots, I wish I could explain better what I mean, but is has been a while since I read about this.

It was Syko or somebody that I read this from, a site called Toke City I believe it was, the person was great at water cloning methods, there was another guy too, a Ninja something, i wish I could remember his name... ;)

With that said, happy cloning!!!

The only thing I ever added to my bubble cloner on occasion was a drop or two of peroxide, that was only in the summer months when it got a little warmer, I did so as a precautionary step to try to keep the slimy root rot from setting in.

yeah I find it stops rotting in mine and algi growth so win win situation with a lil peroxide twice a week as it turns to water quickly.

Do not use a humidity dome, the plants do not need one, and IME using one hurts more than it helps.

So you recommend that I remove that dome away from those clonings at left? Before everytime i have used somekind of dome, I just bought those small propagators, were cheap, only few euros each..

At right there in bigger bubbler is 10 sannies jack and 3 annas growing, what about with those? That dome (plastic beer stein) should I keep those? (when they are little bigger i remove jacks to aeroponics and those annas diffrent aero or somekind drip feed, dont know yet, have to build it first). I should grow those annas in soil, but i dont know anything about that, have been everytime growing with somekind of hydro :j

Clones are White Widow, White Rhino and Northern Lights x Shiva. Next week perhaps few AK47 clones, that should keep me busy all autumn ;) ;)

gallery_1739_1013_202110.jpg

And how high should i keep that 250w cfl?? It's now 30cm over those seedlings. Clones can be much far away, right??

And how high should i keep that 250w cfl?? It's now 30cm over those seedlings. Clones can be much far away, right??

IME, having the CFL's closer to the plants worked better than having them farther away. The ones I used put off hardly any heat so I could get the lights down in their faces.

IME, having the CFL's closer to the plants worked better than having them farther away. The ones I used put off hardly any heat so I could get the lights down in their faces.

Ok, i'll take it little bit lower.. 10cm above should be fine? I just bought those cfl's, have a red one too. Couple first grows i just used some little 18w for seedlings to start and clones to root, after that under 600w HPS (but i'l kept that at the beginning like 1m above). Thanx! ;)

So you recommend that I remove that dome away from those clonings at left? Before everytime i have used somekind of dome, I just bought those small propagators, were cheap, only few euros each..

At right there in bigger bubbler is 10 sannies jack and 3 annas growing, what about with those? That dome (plastic beer stein) should I keep those? (when they are little bigger i remove jacks to aeroponics and those annas diffrent aero or somekind drip feed, dont know yet, have to build it first). I should grow those annas in soil, but i dont know anything about that, have been everytime growing with somekind of hydro :j

Clones are White Widow, White Rhino and Northern Lights x Shiva. Next week perhaps few AK47 clones, that should keep me busy all autumn ;) ;)

gallery_1739_1013_202110.jpg

Yes I do recommend removing the domes, when using a bubble cloner a dome is not needed, as long as you have the reservoir bubbled, and the clones stay submerged into the water a bit then you do not need a dome.

Unless maybe you have them in a really cold room maybe.

I have cloned with a bubble cloner for around 5+ years, and never used a dome, and always got at least a 70-80% success rate, usually if all is done right all the clones will root.

As for your light, I'd keep it from 10-15 CM's of the clones, that would be not too close, and not too far away, if they were rooted & growing I'd say from 8-10 Cm's....

If you cannot get the light any closer you should be fine though, because they really are not going to start growing till the rots form anyway, but they do still need to be able to get a little light to keep alive during the rooting process.

Yes I do recommend removing the domes, when using a bubble cloner a dome is not needed, as long as you have the reservoir bubbled, and the clones stay submerged into the water a bit then you do not need a dome.

Unless maybe you have them in a really cold room maybe.

I have cloned with a bubble cloner for around 5+ years, and never used a dome, and always got at least a 70-80% success rate, usually if all is done right all the clones will root.

As for your light, I'd keep it from 10-15 CM's of the clones, that would be not too close, and not too far away, if they were rooted & growing I'd say from 8-10 Cm's....

If you cannot get the light any closer you should be fine though, because they really are not going to start growing till the rots form anyway, but they do still need to be able to get a little light to keep alive during the rooting process.

Thanx for info! Did you still spray those clones with plain water once in a while ? Air humidity is about 30-40%. Not much...

Okey, i took some new cuttings yesterday and put them to bubbler (left one at that pic) and removed that dome over it. After first 6 hours those new cuts were looking sad, and hanging down. This didnt happen week ago when i cut first ones. So i put that dome back. After next 6 hours all new clones were looking very good, and at that same bubbler is 3-4 days old cuttings, they looked good even if there wasnt that dome. Just like those on the right cloning bubbler, removed dome over that few days ago and looking very good. Maybe its good to use that dome first couple days and then remove it to support plants root grow?? ;)

Theyr really growing, some roots beginning to show (exact 7 days, fast to root that White Rhino).

Next question:

Is there any difference when taking clones from top ones or lower ones... any difference going to be with yielding or how powerfull its going to be, or something else?? Top ones of course are looking very good comparing to lower ones (only what i know is that lower ones might get roots faster).

Okey, i took some new cuttings yesterday and put them to bubbler (left one at that pic) and removed that dome over it. After first 6 hours those new cuts were looking sad, and hanging down. This didnt happen week ago when i cut first ones. So i put that dome back. After next 6 hours all new clones were looking very good, and at that same bubbler is 3-4 days old cuttings, they looked good even if there wasnt that dome. Just like those on the right cloning bubbler, removed dome over that few days ago and looking very good. Maybe its good to use that dome first couple days and then remove it to support plants root grow?? ;)

Theyr really growing, some roots beginning to show (exact 7 days, fast to root that White Rhino).

Next question:

Is there any difference when taking clones from top ones or lower ones... any difference going to be with yielding or how powerfull its going to be, or something else?? Top ones of course are looking very good comparing to lower ones (only what i know is that lower ones might get roots faster).

That is odd that you removed the dome & the clones started to lose vigor, are the the ends of them actually submerged in the water?

I have honestly never seen clones do poorly due to no dome, so I am a loss as to why yours did so.

It is possible they would have perked back up if you would have left the dome off a little longer

Is your water bubbled well?

What are your water temps?

What are your room/ambient temps?

As for taking higher, or lower cuttings.

It depends really, if your plant is in near perfect health, either will work the same.

I have found that clones taken from the top half seem more healthier, I think that is because if you do anything like slightly under feed, or have plant moisture stress, then it is the lower half that usually is affected first.

So if you can try to take your clones from the middle to te top of the plant, and only take lower cuttings if they look really healthy.

As for potency later on, that is not going to change no matter where you get the clones from.

That is odd that you removed the dome & the clones started to lose vigor, are the the ends of them actually submerged in the water?

I have honestly never seen clones do poorly due to no dome, so I am a loss as to why yours did so.

It is possible they would have perked back up if you would have left the dome off a little longer

Is your water bubbled well?

What are your water temps?

What are your room/ambient temps?

As for taking higher, or lower cuttings.

It depends really, if your plant is in near perfect health, either will work the same.

I have found that clones taken from the top half seem more healthier, I think that is because if you do anything like slightly under feed, or have plant moisture stress, then it is the lower half that usually is affected first.

So if you can try to take your clones from the middle to te top of the plant, and only take lower cuttings if they look really healthy.

As for potency later on, that is not going to change no matter where you get the clones from.

Removing that dome really did help a lot! I just picked one clone up and it has roots allready, 2-3cm long! It was exact 4 days ago when i cutted it! Never seen so fast rooting. Has it also something to do with superthrive , used that like half drop and some rooting stim, never used superthrive before. You cannot buy it from here.. Last time rooting tooked 10-14 days at least.

Water is well bubbled, but temps are little bit high, like 27-29c and cannot do for it much now. Our house is under a construction and all windows and balcony door to outside are blocked, fresh air comes from staircase ;) (and lower part of one window, thats not much, but next to plants). Its been that all summer, been waiting for autumn and cooler days ;). In next couple weeks its finished, finally...

Again thanks very much!

Removing that dome really did help a lot! I just picked one clone up and it has roots allready, 2-3cm long! It was exact 4 days ago when i cutted it, it is white widow. Never seen so fast rooting. Has it also something to do with superthrive , used that like half drop and some rooting stim, never used superthrive before. You cannot buy it from here.. Last time rooting tooked 10-14 days with ak47 .

Water is well bubbled, but temps are little bit high, like 27-29c and cannot do for it much now. Our house is under a construction and all windows and balcony door to outside are blocked, fresh air comes from staircase ;) (and lower part of one window, thats not much, but next to plants). Its been that all summer, been waiting for autumn and cooler days ;). In next couple weeks its finished, finally...

Those white ones are quick to root.. i used bubbler before too but diffrent kind set up..

Again thanks very much!

Hah, tried to edit my last post and this was the result...

Removing that dome really did help a lot! I just picked one clone up and it has roots allready, 2-3cm long! It was exact 4 days ago when i cutted it! Never seen so fast rooting. Has it also something to do with superthrive , used that like half drop and some rooting stim, never used superthrive before. You cannot buy it from here.. Last time rooting tooked 10-14 days at least.

Again thanks very much!

Cool, that is good to hear, and you are very welcome, always glad to help another out!

The superthrive may have helped, but I'd honestly try not to add anything into the water, especially considering your temps are already on the warm side, you do not want algae to form, and rot the stem out.

26-27c is as high as you really want the res temps to get, 24-25c being ideal.

I actually bought Superthrive to use when I was rooting in soil, I used a drop mixed with about a quart or so of water, once I made my bubble cloner I quit using it though.

Id get roots from 6-8 days on average.

i dont use a dome either for my bubble clonner!! i use straight water and let it sit over night to evaporate the chlorine!! i think my resv. temps. were about 75* and about 7-8 days they were rooted and put into soil for the rest for the growing life cycle!!

I get 100% rooting in these but you have to watch your water temps if it is too cold they will root but way slow and if your water is too hot you will get stem rot

Hello dequelo,

what is the optimal temp?

some say 21 some say 25. or is this already the ideal range?

I just want to say this thread has helped me greatly.

1st time cloning, lowly bag seed with high aspirations:

Ive seen some clones in a bubbler, cut at one or two weeks into flower. The clones are were not looking good. One leaf heavily yellowed and started to get some dark spots on it.

They were foliar fed a bloom feed. They perked up very nice and the very yellowed and spotted leaf essentially dried up and came off but otherwise the clone is doing much better.

No signs of roots, its been about a week and I know it takes time and patience.

I realize I should get a water heater from an aquarium store, its in the room the seed was germed in.

I realize I should get a water heater from an aquarium store, its in the room the seed was germed in.

they work try to keep your water in the 72 to 75 degree range watch too warm or they may rot on you

I put my tubblers on heat pads if the water is too cool , if the water is cool they root but much slower

1st time cloning, lowly bag seed with high aspirations:

you got to start some where :welcome:

back in 1970's when I started growing that is all I ever used (bagseeds), I still grow bagseeds :spliff: well out of my bags that is

all the best and if I can help you with any questions please feel free to PM me

peace and stay safe

Dequelo

they work try to keep your water in the 72 to 75 degree range watch too warm or they may rot on you

I put my tubblers on heat pads if the water is too cool , if the water is cool they root but much slower

you got to start some where :welcome:

back in 1970's when I started growing that is all I ever used (bagseeds), I still grow bagseeds :spliff: well out of my bags that is

all the best and if I can help you with any questions please feel free to PM me

peace and stay safe

Dequelo

Thanks for replying, I did get a water heater and all grew roots, however I changed the water after a week in so doing some of the roots broke off. I understand this happens and not to get overly excited about it but I kicked myself in the butt and will take even more kid glove precautions next time. Anyways, one clone has not grew any roots since. I changed its place in the bubbler as it does sorta look like its trying to grow some roots again but if nothing in a day I was going to recut her and try it again.

The rest of the clones are doing nicely.

I am concerned when it comes to transplanting as I plan on transplanting into all perlite hempy's. I am thinking of just tying her to a stick and slowly fill her into her hempy container when ready. I am also wrestling with when is the optimal time to transplant root wise.

Thanks very much for the assistance offer.

I do not change the water until I am done :welcome:

Thanks very much for the assistance offer.

any time always glad to help a grower out if I can

if they are well rooted they should stand up in the perlite just fine but a stick should work

I forgot who I saw that used tomato cages in hempy buckets

all the best in your grow and stay safe

Dequelo