•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Captain Skunk

The Captains 12 Easy Steps To Making Butter

I know there are already several "how to's" in the canna community on making canna butter, and from experience, I know they all work great.

What I have done is refined the process to 12 steps and eliminated some of the mess associated with cooking and seperating the butter from the plant material.

For that, Mrs Skunk is very appreciative

Here's what you'll need:

4 sticks of butter (1lb) for every cup of trim (buds).

A couple of of cooking pots.

A piece of cheescloth (or an old clean tee-shirt)

A heat source (stove or hot plate).

A container to store your finished butter.

Straight from the Captains galley, it doesn't get any easier than this!

gallery_668_305_215566.jpg

gallery_668_305_166172.jpg

gallery_668_305_47237.jpg

gallery_668_305_38112.jpg

gallery_668_305_8806.jpg

gallery_668_305_144355.jpg

gallery_668_305_41947.jpg

gallery_668_305_268030.jpg

gallery_668_305_39815.jpg

gallery_668_305_43543.jpg

gallery_668_305_27514.jpg

gallery_668_305_178140.jpg

Once cooled the butter can be used in any recipe that calls for regular butter, or can be stored long term in the freezer almost indefinately.

Enjoy!

• Like 6

Thank you Capt! :D

This is a very good recipe...have used it many times! UC trim makes really nice budder...;)

Thanks for sharing it w/ us!

Peace...wpw

Nice thread! I hope you don't mind me adding a few optional step to the thread...if you do, simply say the word and I'll remove it.

If the reader happens to be one of those people that can't stand the "taste" of cannabis food, you can add a few additional steps...

These are not my pictures, but the author doesn't mind me using them...trust me... :rofl

After you strain the cannabutter, you pour it into a pot half filled with water (3 parts water/1 part drug filled butter), and then bring it to a simmer for an hour, stirring every 15 minutes.

The idea behind this is the thc, cbc, cbn, and wnbc are NOT soluble in water, but the green shit is (chlorophyll, etc).

After an hour, pour it into a suitable tupperware container:

gallery_622_281_71848.jpg

Then put it in the freezer for 30 minutes to an hour. The two layers will seperate, with the fat on the top, and the water on the bottom:

gallery_622_281_16949.jpg

Next, pop the whole thing out, and slide the butter off of the frozen green water that contains all of the foul tasting stuff from your original pass through the cheesecloth.

gallery_622_281_82045.jpg

Toss the large chunk of ice, as it has no active drugs in it, and contains only non-psychoactive plant matter.

These steps are totally optional, and Captain Skunk's method will get you some knock out cannabutter in a jiffy.

• Like 2

Nice thread! I hope you don't mind me adding a few optional step to the thread...if you do, simply say the word and I'll remove it.

If the reader happens to be one of those people that can't stand the "taste" of cannabis food, you can add a few additional steps...

After you strain the cannabutter, you pour it into a pot half filled with water (3 parts water/1 part drug filled butter), and then bring it to a simmer for an hour, stirring every 15 minutes.

The idea behind this is the thc, cbc, cbn, and wnbc are NOT soluble in water, but the green shit is (chlorophyll, etc).

Then put it in the freezer for 30 minutes to an hour. The two layers will seperate, with the fat on the top, and the water on the bottom:

Next, pop the whole thing out, and slide the butter off of the frozen green water that contains all of the foul tasting stuff from your original pass through the cheesecloth.

Comments are always welcomed in any of my threads so feel free.

I just had a similiar converstion with another grower about the benefits of using water in the mix. Most strong tasting butter is a result of over heating and overcooking your mix.

For those folks that use a vaporizer you'll understand that the trichomes vaporize at a temp of 355F and 365F depending who's vape your dialed in on. Once you have melted off the trichs you start burning the plant material and get that burnt popcorn taste. The same holds true for making butter. Once you melt off the trichs the simmering process will start to leech the nasties from the plant material giving you a that strong "green" taste. This is a direct result from cooking your butter for hours unnecessarilly.

Once that butter comes up to temp it's finished.Anything after 60 minutes and your cooking down leaves and stems. That's exactly what you don't want in your end product, which brings us to why any water would be needed at all. Chlorophyll is a plant pigment and does not dissolve in water but like many things related to our hobby has evolved into a myth.

For those of us that don't cook often, there is a huge difference between simmmering and boiling something, and that's the key to clean butter without that green taste. If you willing to try my method, I think you'll find there is no detectable taste in any of the baked goods you make and only a slight hint that somethings different, if your just buttering toast or popcorn.

Hopefully you'll return to thank me for eliminating that nasty water procedure and the additional mess created seperating your butter from a block of ice.

• Like 2

I just finished making a batch o budder using my butter/trim/water method....I'll give this a shot w/ some UC x Bog x Lemon Chemo trim I got...:popcorn:

Thanks Capt!!

Peace...wpw

Chlorophyll is a plant pigment and does not dissolve in water but like many things related to our hobby has evolved into a myth.

You're right, apparently it's the "Terpenoids" and "Anthocyanins" in cannabis that taste like shit, and those happen to be water soluble.

Chlorophyll is fat soluble...so I guess no matter what, unless you dissolve some BHO or Kief in butter, it's going to have a green tint.

Chefs use chlorophyll to colour a variety of food and beverages green, such as pasta, or absinthe.[12] Chlorophyll is not soluble in water and is first mixed with a small quantity of oil to obtain the desired result.

I used to use a vape all the time...making butter with the pellets will make you retch if you don't do the water/oil seperation. I haven't tried it with buds though...perhaps I will.

Terpenoid is a largely broad term used to identify a carbon based plant compound in many aromatic plants. I can't find any educational data that suggests it isn't water souluable, so I'll take your word that it is. By not introducing water into the butter making process, there's no need to remove the terpenoids. The green tint in the end product is the result of a small percentage of water you'll find in any processed food. Even using the water method your butter still has a green tint...so why take the extra step of trying to remove terpenoids that will end up in the refuse can at all?

Anthocyanins are also carbon based compounds that are clear and flavorless and responsible for little more than the red pigment in fruits. There are many suspected health benefites from anthocyanins, but I doubt we utilize them by smoking a joint. Here's a link about anthocyanins written by a two time Nobel prize winner, who is a Professor of Food Science and Technology for Oregon State Uni.

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/ss01/anthocyanin.html

Chlorophyll is fat soluble but before it's processed into food coloring it's rendered down into concentrations we'll never achieve in our kitchens at home. Which makes my point that the longer you cook your mix the stronger your butter will taste.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say you're making butter with pellets. I was just using the digital temp on the vape to make a point about overheating trichomes.

I know there are already several "how to's" in the canna community on making canna butter, and from experience, I know they all work great.

What I have done is refined the process to 12 steps and eliminated some of the mess associated with cooking and seperating the butter from the plant material.

For that, Mrs Skunk is very appreciative

Here's what you'll need:

4 sticks of butter (1lb) for every cup of trim (buds).

A couple of of cooking pots.

A piece of cheescloth (or an old clean tee-shirt)

A heat source (stove or hot plate).

A container to store your finished butter.

Straight from the Captains galley, it doesn't get any easier than this!

gallery_668_305_215566.jpg

gallery_668_305_166172.jpg

gallery_668_305_47237.jpg

gallery_668_305_38112.jpg

gallery_668_305_8806.jpg

gallery_668_305_144355.jpg

gallery_668_305_41947.jpg

gallery_668_305_268030.jpg

gallery_668_305_39815.jpg

gallery_668_305_43543.jpg

gallery_668_305_27514.jpg

gallery_668_305_178140.jpg

Once cooled the butter can be used in any recipe that calls for regular butter, or can be stored long term in the freezer almost indefinately.

Enjoy!

hey.. I know this is an old thread but if anyone could help it would much appreciated.. I recently made some canabutter but forgot about it and left it on the heat for nearly 2 hours. Will this affect potency? Thanks

peace.. Lung

I think the first time I saw and tried a recipe to make butter was in "Easy Rider" back in it's beginning. As I remember it said to simmer for 12 or 16 hours. I know I have allowed it to do it longer. I could not tell any difference.

• Like 2

hey.. I know this is an old thread but if anyone could help it would much appreciated.. I recently made some canabutter but forgot about it and left it on the heat for nearly 2 hours. Will this affect potency? Thanks

peace.. Lung

It kinda depends on how high the heat was on. You start messing with the good stuff when you get over 300 degrees F or so.

I prefer the water method for that reason. The temperature of the butter never goes over the boiling point of water.

You will know when you try it out if the heat degraded the potency. gl

• Like 2

Hello!

How many trim leaves for 1lb of butter?

Once I ate a too strong butter and I had violent hallucinations a few hours later..

Worse than with mushrooms!!

Thx

Peace

• Like 2

Hey MS, this is kind of subjective I guess. I use 3 ounces of trim w/popcorn buds or 4 ounces if just leaf. Butter made from trim tends to be more sedate than butter from bud so it is good for sleep. Try making cookies or something out of it for better dose control. One cookie made from 1/8 cup of dough is all I need. Find a cookie recipe that uses 1 cup of butter for best results. GL

It kinda depends on how high the heat was on. You start messing with the good stuff when you get over 300 degrees F or so.

I prefer the water method for that reason. The temperature of the butter never goes over the boiling point of water.

You will know when you try it out if the heat degraded the potency. gl

EXACTLY!The whole thing will be a mess, so you might as well have the water to begin with and never have to worry about leaving it too long or getting too hot. You don't want to decarb everything, that will happen when you bake.

Ultimately, the amount of butter doesn't really matter, just do some math to find out dosage.

Say that you need 2 grams of trim to get high, 4 grams to get very high, multiply the grams by the number of cookies / portions your dish will make.

dozen cookies times 4 grams of trim per cookie, that's 48 grams or about 2 ounces. regardless of how much butter the recipe calls for.

Making cana butter is one thing, but you have to have the end dish in mind... 1 lb butter - 4 ounces of trim is pretty standard and would allow to control the high pretty well.

A light smoker would get baked on 1 cookie, someone adventurous might take 2-3 and see how they feel in 1 hour. When you go to eat another, just think twice, when it hits are you ready for twice as intense?!? unlike smoking, I find the effect to coupound and get get pretty serious pretty fast ( actually, really slow release, which means you at at the mercy of your digestion...) you know what I mean... paranoia from smoking was nothing compared to anxiety from easting 6-7 cookies in 1 sitting over the course of 4 hours... that was not a pleasant night at all and the only salvation was being to fall asleep after a few hours.

don't mean to kill the buzz, just take it easy and you will have a blast, don't try to show off and things will go smooth.... I guess that's an everyday life lesson applicable to anything, but you get the point

Extra Credit since I am home sick today so you guys get to read all my rants...

I stopped with canna butter after a few months. Too stinky in the house, too much work and messy. And I think it tastes like spinach / crap ( and I like Spinach! )

With Peanut butter and Choco, it's passable, but not enjoyable for me.

I started getting BHO from a friend at the time, and since I found the stuff to be a PITA to smoke and was just too wicked strong. Since I was still trying to get high from my buds, the BHO was just upping my tolerance so much when I smoked it that I was not enjoying the rest of my weed.

Anyways... I got the idea to take 1 gram of BHO, and dilute it in 5 tablespoons of melter butter. The butter can now be mixed with the rest of your plain butter for the recipe or you can take the melted BHO butter and pour it into an ice cube tray and stick in the fridge. Couple hours later you will have a ready cube with enough kick to knock out a horse.

If I only had kief or dry hash to make edibles, and I did a few times, I would chop and grind until it's the smallest powder possible. Then, I would mix it right into flour and mix it in well.

I found this to be much easier then trying to mix into butter and guaranteed even distribution. Some people say that because I didn't mix straight with butter, the THC isn't binding-BS. I've made a many cookies, brownies and even a giant 420 cake ( that was actually 3 cakes shaped like the numbers and frosting with BHO in it :D ) that we cut 90 pieces from ( and sooo many people came back the next day to tell us about it! )

• Like 2

ok I'm gonna try this method, will use a cup of good buds to 1 lb of butter. crock pot should do me right on the long wait.

i was happy to get it as a house warming gift. as soon as i realised what it was i was happy that i could do slow cooked meals and make edibles with it too.

so i'll simmer in the crock pot for 60- 75 min max. I trust Captain Skunk because he's trust worthy and a no bull shit type of guy. I must admit I miss him & i have to thank him as i feel he was a mentor of sorts back on over grow along with mole and a few others.

Although ages old topic, I find this still valuable and useful and shall try with my harvest.

i went to the only walmart in the city that did not have freaking cheese cloth lol. i can use a tshirt, but i wanted a less dense strainer because i wanted to make it satchel style for my coconut oil. with the butter a t-shirt will do fine.

you know what Ghost poet,

in your honor i'm gonna make that freaking butter right now. i was gonna use a new crock pot, nut no need i have a new ceramic pot i can use it's a virgin. i'm gonna get her all sticky .

as promised the butter is in progress, so i used a little more then a measuring cup of ground up buds. NL. #5 TO BE EXACT. i think it was skuffed before sale, but's it still good weed.

the kif i collected from the mixer surprised me. i used my finger to get it out the 1st. time, on the 2nd. mix of buds i used a rubber spatula to extract the kif and it was much better this way. any powder left over are gonna be in the smoothie :icecream: . marinated ribeye tonight with omaha steaks naked potato. if this lady does not call that's what i'm having for dinner.

oh boy i can smell the subtle aroma from the butter. i actually put my pot inside a large skillet with water just to prevent accidental boiling.

so i used almost a full mason jar of buds. so i know that is close to an oz, so this butter should do the trick so far as potency is concerned

we have about 40 minutes left before it gets put through metal strainer, what is left will get squeezed out of a tee shirt once it's cool enough for me to handle. :showoff: :dribble:

• Like 1

Ok, the butter is setting up nicely in the freezer. sea green/pastel in color.

I did not use a t-shirt at all. i opted to use a colander, then strain through that into a finer mesh screen . then i passed the results again through the fine screen. turned out very well like that imho. i used some of the left over herb to put in a smoothy. it has effect for sure and i just finished off maybe 5-6 oz that was left in the blender.

i saved the rest for other smoothies. a slight heating in a skillet and u can add it to ur smoothie once it cools down enough. i saved the pasty stuff too. i figured i use it for bread or pancakes; but now that i think it would be better with pasta imho. easier to deal with the taste that way. so before i drink soie more i'm gonna head to bed so if i feel the need to fall out i'll be in like flynn lol. :wave:

i forgot to say, so in essence i will be able to use virtually all of the bud i stated with no need to toss anything in the trash either. so very economical to make & use it in this way imh. i could easily smell the essence of the plant still strongly in the mashed matter. it was not rocket science lol.

• Like 2

you know what Ghost poet,

in your honor i'm gonna make that freaking butter right now. i was gonna use a new crock pot, nut no need i have a new ceramic pot i can use it's a virgin. i'm gonna get her all sticky .

Hey Sacred Plant Warrior, I'm honored that you took inspiration to make butter just because I appreciated the Cap's instructable! That is wicked cool and you got some nice butter and made it easier for me to understand what to do with the left overs. How cool is that! Many thanks and happy growing! I hope you enjoy your butter!!!

Although ages old topic, I find this still valuable and useful and shall try with my harvest.

i

i'm about to eat an herb omelette with white deluxe chz , dehydrated onions and seasoning. i heated up the left over mashed matter with a little butter nad non-stick olive oil spray. one good size sausage patty for a tag team brunch. :wave:

• Like 1

With my butter I go about an OZ of trim per stick, or QP per LB of butter.

Get a stock pot and put a good 5" of water, bring to rolling boil and melt in butter. I use the water as a control so the butter can never exceed 200 degrees F. No bottom of hot pan ever.

Add in your trim once all butter is melted.

I do 2 hours on rolling boil stirring often and 2 hours low boil stirring often.

I strain into a bucket or large bowl that will hold it all.

Set in fridge over night.

In the AM you will have a hard puck at the top of yummy light light green canna-butter. Simply pour off the water below and set the big ass puck and put on freezer for storage.

My butter hardly ever has the green taste, always super potent as well.

I only use hash with coconut oil as it dissolved better and faster. A much better conduit for extreme potent edibles.

• Like 1