•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

keesthemad

TEST: Advanced nutrients & RO water by KTM

Test: Advanced Nutrients by keesthemad.

gallery_9137_7880_325110.jpg

I had heard a lot about Advanced Nutrients in the past, but I had never seen it in Holland... Then my friends at KJ-Products said to me that they had some Advanced Nutrients products that needed testing, so I was in love ;). It is texts like the one below that make me feel this way about these nutes:

PERFORMANCE GUARANTEE

If for any reason, you are not 100% satisfied with the perfomance of this product, please return the unused portion to place of purchase for a full refund.

Personally this looks like the best any line could offer... I'm hard to satisfy!

---

Okay, I'm going to test these nutrients against a line that is in use in Holland by a lot of growers. The line is called Bloombastic, the brand is called Atami. This is a regular bio-mineral line. Not biologically, usually one would use a pH and an EC meter to mix the nutrients.

---

Spacee:

Darkroom DR100

Extractor:

375m3 ruck in. Air-out is passive]

Lights:

1x400W Lumatek HPS, bulb: Sunmaster Super HPS [vertical]

1x100W Procyon LED 25%Blue 75%Red]

Genetics:

4x Amnesia, needs no introduction.

Medium:

Specialmix Light [4x50L]

---

So, then the test can start!

I don't have the whole nutrient line, but I have the essential bottles.

B52, SensiZym, Final Phase, Connoisseur A+B, Liquid Carbo Load, Voodoo Juice.

gallery_9137_7880_1628082.jpg

Some other pics to start this first post with...

gallery_9137_7880_85122.jpg

The bulb

gallery_9137_7880_352396.jpg

The top of the tent.

gallery_9137_7880_2600234.jpg

Comparing normal growing to vertical growing... A lot more space for light and no losses in hoods.

gallery_9137_7880_46844.jpg

AAAAAAAAAAAAhhh cute little Ammy...

gallery_9137_7880_2067697.jpg

So guys, this is the test, I skipped some info from the original but I will fill it in along the way so that it still is an interesting topic...

(test)Kees.

déjà-vu??? ;)

succes ouwe,

Doc

its test like this and hupla's that make this site great. It kind of gives new indoor growwers like me an unbiased view of nutes and what to expect.....not to mention it hopefully will entail how each of you use these nutes.....I know I tend to error on the low side of caution but I have seen others do the opposite and grow great big bushes. I am excited for both nute shows.

Now we have arrived on day 9 of flowering. They have had 3 waterings of about 5L each side. About 30 liters in total so far. The Atami side got regular tap water whilst the AN get's RO water with regular water mixed into it untill we meet 150ppm (0.2EC). Plants will die without the calcium...

I've decided to keep to this nute schedule...

It's the medium schedule supplied by Advanced Nutrients. Although the haze could have a lot more, I have to smoke it myself and I like my weed well flushed so I don't boost the plants to their near death... I will try to blow them up a bit... More is better ofcourse.

gallery_9137_7880_22595.jpg

Then the plant's looked a bit like this...

gallery_9137_7880_446300.jpg

I started using these two... Mammoth Hydroponics... Look familiar ? Well these are cheaper... But same quality...

gallery_9137_7880_84426.jpg

Keeping the atami side down on the nutes, 1.42EC is all they are going to get. Higher than this and I will kill off any microbiological life... The specialmix is perfect for hosting all sorts of life and I could use that to flush my buds... The advanced nutrients should be soooooo special that it does this for me, even at higher nutrient levels.

This is how they look

gallery_9137_7880_7832.jpg

Guess this baby will be a cola...

gallery_9137_7880_39434.jpg

And this one too... They all will be cola's... ( I HOPE :verrygood :smoke )

gallery_9137_7880_92499.jpg

Kees.

Since they started growing it was waiting till some of the branches grew towards the light... And that was not so bad, most just grew straight up. They don't even turn their leaves towards the light :verrygood . I think I figured out what happens, the light bounces back from the back wall and is veryirregular in direction, so light ends up everywhere. This is probably why every branch has the same ammount of flowering in it, I hope they all have the same ammount of hormones, A LOT hehe...

So I protected them from the heat..

gallery_9137_7880_556874.jpg

Huh, yes I did.

gallery_9137_7880_668968.jpg

Like this...

gallery_9137_7880_1528081.jpg

This is how it looks when you have a whole field full of them...

gallery_9137_7880_2020014.jpg

Advanced Nutrients

WK1

EC 1.42 / pH 6.30

WK2

EC 1.71 / pH 6.30

WK3 (next week)

EC 2.00 / pH 6.30

Atami

WK1

EC 1.42 / pH 6.30

WK2

EC 1.42 / pH 6.30

WK3 (next week)

EC 1.42 / pH 6.30

That's it I think...

What do you guys think about it ?

Kees.

So well, at the moment we are nearly at the start of week 8, week 8 could already be called a flushing week as the EC is lowered quite a bit. In the last week nearly pure water will be given. Only pH ajusted.

Advanced Nutrients

WK4

EC 2.00 / pH 6.30

WK5

EC 2.00 / pH 6.30

WK6

EC 2.00 / pH 6.30

WK7

EC 1.71 / pH 6.30

WK8 (next week)

EC 1.42 / pH 6.30

WK9 (last week)

EC .. / pH 6.30 (RO + enzymes)

Atami

WK4

EC 1.42 / pH 6.30

WK5

EC 1.42 / pH 6.30

WK6

EC 1.42 / pH 6.30

WK7

EC 1.42 / pH 6.30

WK8 (next week)

EC 1.42 / pH 6.30

WK9 (last week)

EC .. / pH 6.30 (RO + enzymes)

As you can see, WK9 will be real flushing. After week 9 there is a period of darkness for the plants. In this period they are allowed to swell up a little more and to gain some more weight... Previous runs have proven that using a certain dark period before harvesting is essential for both taste and yield so I'm pretty much stuck with that method.

5th July (day30)

gallery_9137_7880_999339.jpg

12th July (day37)

gallery_9137_7880_308329.jpg

Advanced:

gallery_9137_7880_802333.jpg

Atami:

gallery_9137_7880_396252.jpg

I moved the plants yesterday and found out that there are a lot more buds than I have seen, everything has fallen over etc. etc. It's a big mess, but I've seen huge ammounts of buddage.

Whilst using I've become very fond of the liquid carbo load. That shit just seems to work. I've added some of the nutes to my other grow to see if I could see something happening in both grows that was quite distinct, and I did. It's unbelievable, but the plant's just smell better and seem to be healthier...

Also I'm very fond of the B52 booster, it's a simple "extra" nutrient, but with the vitamins it will get the stress out of your plants, remember people saying "your plants will stop for two days because of that" well, they didn't stop at any time during this grow, every day I opened the tent I could see a difference... It's huge.

The enzymes are working on both sides, so at least I don't have anything to complain about. Leafs are still somewhat intact, after moving some leave has been damaged, but I really don't give a shit.

This is day 47 or so, somewhere around now...

gallery_9137_7880_1550435.jpg

This was right before I moved them...

gallery_9137_7880_4187884.jpg

Nice buds...

gallery_9137_7880_866366.jpg

Twins

gallery_9137_7880_460221.jpg

Nice right ?

gallery_9137_7880_649765.jpg

Well, that was it for now, I will try to update when I update wietforum next time...

Any questions, please don't hesitate, that is what this topic is for.

Kees.

That's lovely Kees :tu

I'll be using RO water in the future, but I'll get the necessary calcium/magnesium from blackstrap molasses. Wonderful stuff, that ;)

Holy crap I'm so jealous. Why is it that in some of your pics it looks like your bulb is putting out a green spectrum light? It almost looks like green blue neon or something. Anyway, amazing chunky fat buds...I can only hope one day I can have a place to do that kind of large scale thing...

Holy crap I'm so jealous. Why is it that in some of your pics it looks like your bulb is putting out a green spectrum light? It almost looks like green blue neon or something. Anyway, amazing chunky fat buds...I can only hope one day I can have a place to do that kind of large scale thing...

The light appears to be green due to the incorrect white balance. Because there is a lot of red and a lot of blue (LED light) my editting program doesn't understand how to do the white balance. I click something white and it's supposed to make it right, but when It's this kind of double arteficial light the program is shitty... But it looks good.

Thnx for the replies people!

Kees.

Unless you're working with RAW (.nef) photo files where you can do white balance adjustment after you've shot the photo, trying to do color correction with Photoshop or similar types of programs is only going to get you close to the correct colors. The whites might be white but the other colors are probably not going to be right. The best way to do it is to do a manual white balance on the camera using a grey or white card as a target under the HPS lamp.

The light appears to be green due to the incorrect white balance. Because there is a lot of red and a lot of blue (LED light) my editting program doesn't understand how to do the white balance. I click something white and it's supposed to make it right, but when It's this kind of double arteficial light the program is shitty... But it looks good.

Thnx for the replies people!

Kees.

How could i miss this :welcome:

Looking great kees and keep those pics coming

greetz sannie

Unless you're working with RAW (.nef) photo files where you can do white balance adjustment after you've shot the photo, trying to do color correction with Photoshop or similar types of programs is only going to get you close to the correct colors. The whites might be white but the other colors are probably not going to be right. The best way to do it is to do a manual white balance on the camera using a grey or white card as a target under the HPS lamp.

I'm using RAW format.

And I'm actually too stoned to tell more... This cake really got me...

@Sannie, thanks!

Kees.

So actually this is the week before harvest, the light is off, the last 5 days they do not get any light, they get a little water with final solution, sugars and citric acid for pH. This way the buds will clear up all the build up energy in the plant and grow a little more without actually killing the plant. The plant is thinking it dies because winter is coming, this way plants that want to colour will colour better and calyxes will grow a bit untill buds are nice and compact, most hairs will turn brown also. Resin is excreted in a sick ammount...

Last week no light seems to be better than with light, and it saves me $7,92 in power... :welcome:

So...

I didn't succeed in keeping them green all the way. But this is actually she's out for nearly 9 weeks now... She's going to do about 61 days I believe which is nearly 9 weeks.

Atami in the back, AN in the front.

gallery_19_8_1142343.jpg

Looks good from the other side too...

Actually Atami is on the left AN is on the right...

gallery_19_8_119620.jpg

A bud...

gallery_19_8_208433.jpg

Another bud... Looks white, doesn't it ?

gallery_19_8_504786.jpg

AAAAAAAAAAAH WANNA SMOKE U!

gallery_19_8_22463.jpg

I can't draw any conclusions without harvesting first... I'm not able to see what is happening... It's like a maze of buds, buds everywhere, no clue from what plant...

gallery_19_8_1334358.jpg

So that was it... Next week they will be up drying...

Kees.

Looking delightfull kees!!!

Am really curious in the final results and judgement :welcome:

enjoy your harvest :D

Hup

Actually this is quite an exiting moment that I've been waiting for for a while.. The results of the tests, or at least what I've got out of it. I've been busy with the advanced nutrients line for a while now and I've tried to find ways of figuring stuff out... For instance I tried the carbo load on some other plants I had around and discovered that it is a great contribution to the plants general health.

After using Advanced for about two weeks I finally thought, ahwell, it isn't so bad all those bottles, the first time I was totally "wow", thinking "how am I going to mix this up every day", yep that's right, I mix up the water for the plants every day as I believe that this is the best way to go, adjusting pH and EC every day to keep up with the demands of the plant, ofcourse you don't have to do it this way but I'm just illustrating my situation.

Finally I got used to mixing up and this only took me a few minutes every day. The pH was well adjustable, when my EC's were low, at about 1.5 the pH ended up like 6.3 when using 150ppm water. When EC's got a bit higher the pH started to drop to about 5.8 and I had to use some potassium hydroxide solution to bring the pH up. Atami I only used 1.5EC as this is what Atami recommends (up to 5ml/L) the pH I kept between 6.3 and 6.5 but usually it got to that pH without changing. I have been using these nutrients on Gold Label Specialmix (light), this stuff has performed as a hydro medium and it has done well, this was the first time for me to do this on soil.

It's hard to say what nutrient has better ergonomics, but when figuring out how to use it's hard to say, I really like the fact that Advanced prints the recommended use on the label which made it more clear. Connoisseur is really thin liquid, compared to the bloombastic booster, this stuff is really hard to measure correctly if not impossible, and to make it worse, it's strong... Really strong... If I add 1ml/L I'm already over EC 1.5 (without base nutes).

So in the end I really like the style advanced has chosen for, it allows for little changes in nutrients because it is build up of so many different components that you don't have to use but could use if it works out. I've seen a big catalog of Advanced products that has a bottle for every problem, so that's where the cool part is. Next time I'm definately going to use something that has a PK boost in there, hammerhead ?

There will certainly be a next time, I will explain this in the next bit.

Although Atami had a lower EC the taste of the Advanced buds is so much better, it's a softer smoke with more taste to it, the atami tastes good, very good, but there's nothing like the advanced buds, they just smell great and all the way through the bag into your nose, asking to be smoked...

What is strange tough is that the atami buds are more compact and look better visually. Right now some of it is grinded up a few feet away and this really strong smell is... ahhhh...

Now the most interesting part is this, the yields, this is what everyone is waiting for, yes ?

Well, Atami yielded 240grams and Advanced Nutrients yielded 280grams.

A 17% increase in yield makes it interesting to grow on AN, I think that for someone with a limited space and a need for the best quality medicine Advanced is the right nutrient (fits me ;) ). Now in early tests the advanced also seems to be stronger. It has been great to do this test and I hope I can see some more of the products that advanced has to offer. Then at last the issue of the cost, ok, Advanced is a lot more expensive than some other nutrients around, but I have to say that for instance the enzymes will last a long time, I have more than 70% of the B52 left, so I think I would only have to purchase about a third for the next round... Experienced growers can make a difference with this nutrient in my opinion, and it's up to the grower to make the choise.

Because of the forum crashing all the time I have had some trouble placing pics, I will add these later on, so this post will be edited but I didn't want to keep this from you guys.

Advanced, thanks for the oppertunity.

Greets,

Kees.

What is strange tough is that the atami buds are more compact and look better visually. Right now some of it is grinded up a few feet away and this really strong smell is... ahhhh...

You said they look better visually. Are they (Atami)frostier? Smaller (AN)? Dryer looking(AN)? Any pics of the two side by side?

I'm sorry, I've been a bit thin in time...

Yes the Atami has more pigments, it looks darker. The Advanced Nutrients is a lot lighter in colour, but hey. When you smoke it there's a real difference, personally I don't really really care about the looks, as long as smell taste and effect are okay!! That's what's it about right ?

I will do some side by side pics, also I will ask someone to write a smoke-report :P.

Kees.

Have been without Internet for a few days..

I will try to make the pics this weekend...

Kees.

Hi Kees,

Next time I'm definately going to use something that has a PK boost in there, hammerhead ?

You can use "big bud" from AN, you cand find it in powder or liquid bottle, works great !!!

See U,

hmm ok, thanks Chicken, I will have a look at it.

BTW, the smokereport is still on the way, but BeeKaa is on holiday...

So we have to wait...

Greets,

Kees.