•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Bodderas

Granular garden lime.

Has anyone ever used garden granular lime before,and is it ok to use?.

Edited by Bodderas

you'll get a far better result in a more timely manner from finely pulverized dolomitic lime. lime should be ground extremely fine like baby powder in order to be effective during the relatively short life cycle of mj.

I dunno m8, I'm not saying you are wrong, but as soon as water hits the pellets the lime disperses in the run off well.These are roughly the same size as medium perlite granules and with soil its helping get air down there just like de perlite, so i have added both to my medium seems to be doing ok, so far so gud.Dolomite lime and garden lime I have read somewhere that they are literally both the same?.

I use hydrated lime in my soil mix. It also gets mixed in with waterings if the plants are show -Ca.

Seems to act pretty quick, for the amount of Calcium we need..

I use hydrated lime in my soil mix. It also gets mixed in with waterings if the plants are show -Ca.

Seems to act pretty quick, for the amount of Calcium we need..

Besides it's ph buffering properties dolomite lime is an excellent source for both magnesium and calcium. Powder, Granular, Pelletized, it's all the same thing. The difference is the rate at which it effects the plant which Boston Bud was eluding to, sort of. Finely ground lime is what you want if you're adding it to an existing pot of soil to address an active problem such as cal/mag deficiency or a ph issue. That's in order to encourage a quick and near immediate effect. If you are mixing up your soil however, and add dolomite lime to prevent those problems, then you want to use granular or pelletized so it has more of a time release effect.

Personally I buy a product called Garden Lime (aka dolomite lime) made by a company called Espoma. It sells in most hardware stores and is just a few dollars for a small but decent size bag of it. I don't recall the package describing the contents as granular but that's how I would describe it. I mix it in at the rate of 1-2 tablespoons per gallon of soil mix when mixing soil and if I need to use it on an existing plant then I grind it up fine, sratch it into the surface of the soil and then water it in the rest of the way

Besides it's ph buffering properties dolomite lime is an excellent source for both magnesium and calcium. Powder, Granular, Pelletized, it's all the same thing. The difference is the rate at which it effects the plant which Boston Bud was eluding to, sort of. Finely ground lime is what you want if you're adding it to an existing pot of soil to address an active problem such as cal/mag deficiency or a ph issue. That's in order to encourage a quick and near immediate effect. If you are mixing up your soil however, and add dolomite lime to prevent those problems, then you want to use granular or pelletized so it has more of a time release effect.

Personally I buy a product called Garden Lime (aka dolomite lime) made by a company called Espoma. It sells in most hardware stores and is just a few dollars for a small but decent size bag of it. I don't recall the package describing the contents as granular but that's how I would describe it. I mix it in at the rate of 1-2 tablespoons per gallon of soil mix when mixing soil and if I need to use it on an existing plant then I grind it up fine, sratch it into the surface of the soil and then water it in the rest of the way

That's not accurate. I know what your talking about though. I bought the granular as I thought it would last longer, but when I checked the label it contained no magnesium. Only the powdered one contains both magnesium and calcium.

What I have is Horticultural Hydrated Lime, made by Hi-Yield. compared to Ca, the mg level is non existent.

Heres the guaranteed analysis of it

Calcium (CA) .................................................. .... 51.00%

Calcium Oxide (CaO) ............................................ 72.50%

Magnesium Oxide (MgO) ......................................... 0.45%

Calcium Carbonate Equivalent (CaCO3) (eq.) .......... 131.00%

Calcium Hydroxide (Ca(OH)2) ................................. 95.79%

E.N.P. .................................................. ............ 130.35%

E.N.V. .................................................. ............ 130.35%

I still add epsom salts to my water about once every 2 weeks..

That's not accurate. I know what your talking about though. I bought the granular as I thought it would last longer, but when I checked the label it contained no magnesium. Only the powdered one contains both magnesium and calcium.

Well that conflicts with every definition of dolomite lime I've ever seen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolomite

What I have is Horticultural Hydrated Lime, made by Hi-Yield. compared to Ca, the mg level is non existent.

Heres the guaranteed analysis of it

Calcium (CA) .................................................. .... 51.00%

Calcium Oxide (CaO) ............................................ 72.50%

Magnesium Oxide (MgO) ......................................... 0.45%

Calcium Carbonate Equivalent (CaCO3) (eq.) .......... 131.00%

Calcium Hydroxide (Ca(OH)2) ................................. 95.79%

E.N.P. .................................................. ............ 130.35%

E.N.V. .................................................. ............ 130.35%

I still add epsom salts to my water about once every 2 weeks..

Yes but I don't recall anyone saying anything about the ratio of calcium to magnesium. It was implied that only the powderized has magnesium which just isn't true. Now what is true and what I was wrong on is that it turns out dolomite lime and Garden lime are not necessarily the same thing. The one I use is because it says "made from doloite lime" somewhere on the package. According to this page though:

http://www.allotment.org.uk/fertilizer/garden-lime.php

Agricultural lime and Garden lime are the same. It then goes on to say, "Dolomite lime is similar to garden lime but contains a higher percentage of magnesium." I'm assuming in your case Horticultural and Agricultural are the same.

Ok you got me to go check for sure. So I use the lilly miller brand. The Granular says it is derived from "Lime Stone" The powdered says it is derived from "Dolomitic limestone"

So you are correct dolomite lime always contains magnesium. The limestone however seems not to. So for lilly miller the magnesium is 11.8 % with calcium 22%

It would be best to check the labels first to make sure it contains magnesium unless you use epsom salt. I don't use epsom salt.

Ok you got me to go check for sure. So I use the lilly miller brand. The Granular says it is derived from "Lime Stone" The powdered says it is derived from "Dolomitic limestone"

So you are correct dolomite lime always contains magnesium. The limestone however seems not to. So for lilly miller the magnesium is 11.8 % with calcium 22%

It would be best to check the labels first to make sure it contains magnesium unless you use epsom salt. I don't use epsom salt.

Yes, most definately good advice, always, always check your labels. Don't just take what somebody you've never met, except on the internet, tells you and run with it. Not that people try to intentionally mislead but we're all human and therefore prone to mistakes. Like me for example, I said garden lime and dolomite lime are the same which I then found out isn't always true.

It's also a good practice, when asking advice to get second and third opinions and not just run with the first thing that sounds good.

Hi there peeps let me describe how the lime pellets work?.As soon as water hits them they disperse leaving equal amounts in the medium,theres Mg,and Ca in there too.They go real soft and they dilute well with water /feed, I will nt go without em anymore.I don't think no matter how well prepared powdered lime is bt I no for a fact it does not disperse like the lime granules/pellets!?>