•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

carper

which brand of (bulb)s do you use?

i am using a ultrasun hps now..good price on th ebulbs,ultrasun also has a dual arch bulb for around a 100 dollars which is a great price..going to try that next,the hydro store i go to had one running for a display and it was really interesting.

Dual arc tube - as in a dual HPS tube - don't buy them. They are not made for horticulture, but for street lanterns etc. to provide a safety against lamp failure. I have seen them on the US shows and it is ridiculous to use them for horticultural lighting. They are never aligned with your reflector and block each others output.

The HPS/MH combined lamps (especially the 400-600W ones) have a really bad output compared to a separate HPS and MH. You need to consider the power of the arc tubes in the lamp is small, and the smaller the lamp the less efficient the light production. Also MH has a shorter life than the HPS, the light maintenance over time is much lower than a good HPS lamp. So combining the two in one lamp doesn't sound like a really good idea.

Hey Carper

I use 600w eye hortilux super hps, but found out the hard way They are not compatible with digital ballasts because they require higher amount of amps to fire up.

If anyone had dealt with a bulb that went dim/flickering wit a digital ballast, this could have to do with compatible issues I found out after talking with the rep.

There are very few HPS lamps specifically designed for high frequency. So are tested to withstand high frequency, but that's just luck in the design. The arc tube and wire frame need to be specifically designed to withstand the high frequency ballast signal. Philips designed the 400V EL (Electronic) series, together with the ballast for it. It runs at +100.000 Hz. Do the acoustic resonance test: put your welding goggles on and see if the discharge in your arc tube is straight ans stable. Acoustic resonance looks like this:

I have a 600W HPS and A 400W CMH and the 400W cmh bulb out performs the 600W in yield, bud density and trichome production by far.

When your 400W MH outperforms your 600W HPS then there is really something seriously wrong with your HPS. (Remember CMH is NOT suitable for high frequency electronic ballasts!) Spectrum is very important, but it doesn't increase the performance of the light by more than 50% (which is what you are saying here)

I use Dutch Philips GreenPower EL lamps now(they are a bit different from the US bulbs btw) together with the GAVITA ballasts that are suitable for driving this lamp on 230V. Electronics and lamp are designed for each other.

I have had really good results combining MH and HPS.

Dual arc tube - as in a dual HPS tube - don't buy them. They are not made for horticulture, but for street lanterns etc. to provide a safety against lamp failure. I have seen them on the US shows and it is ridiculous to use them for horticultural lighting. They are never aligned with your reflector and block each others output.

The HPS/MH combined lamps (especially the 400-600W ones) have a really bad output compared to a separate HPS and MH. You need to consider the power of the arc tubes in the lamp is small, and the smaller the lamp the less efficient the light production. Also MH has a shorter life than the HPS, the light maintenance over time is much lower than a good HPS lamp. So combining the two in one lamp doesn't sound like a really good idea.

thanks for the info whazzup..very interesting

no way anybody can convince me otherwise :-) cause i have a light meter.

i change my bulbs twice a year with cheap bulbs (plantmax) i get on ebay.

a 1000w hps is about $35 to 40 shipped to my door.

to my smallest lamp 250w mh is about $15 shipped.

i keep 2 extra bulbs in every size :250, 400, 600, 1000

so gudkarma your saying that the cheapos are just as good but dont last as long :rofl

i'm saying i prefer optimum lumens at all times @ less cost.

im also saying : keep $ in your pocket

before we flame up : i say this tounge & check : & cause im that confident : no war okay?

==> same set up, same lamps, same techniques, same everything but "bulb philosophy" and no way you pull more weight than me.

save them $ brohams & buy beans :-)

most peeps are gonna buy a ushio or hortilux and run that bad boy as long as possible.

@ $100+ a pop i would too.

that $35-$40 1000w bulb i'll trash in 6-7 months & change with a $35-$40 freshy has me 1) saving $ & 2) getting max output more of the time.

just my 2 cents nothing more.

My results with Ushio was about about a cycle and a half then burned out.

Lumatek 6 months burned out, ok results.Ran in a 600 watt digital set up.

Cheepo bulb ($35)last test run did just fine nothing amazing but ok results. saved me some cash. One thing that brought my Purple KF to a screeching halt and didn't fully recover was adding too much Koolbloom. I get my best results going light on the nutes and correcting any plant needs right away.

I also clean my cool tube inside a out free of a dust as not to block any goodness.

I had to shut down this summer as I don't have any jars left. :rofl

i'm saying i prefer optimum lumens at all times @ less cost.

im also saying : keep $ in your pocket

before we flame up : i say this tounge & check : & cause im that confident : no war okay?

==> same set up, same lamps, same techniques, same everything but "bulb philosophy" and no way you pull more weight than me.

save them $ brohams & buy beans :-)

most peeps are gonna buy a ushio or hortilux and run that bad boy as long as possible.

@ $100+ a pop i would too.

that $35-$40 1000w bulb i'll trash in 6-7 months & change with a $35-$40 freshy has me 1) saving $ & 2) getting max output more of the time.

just my 2 cents nothing more.

It makes sense bro i was just trying to make sure i understood you.I use phillips and ive used the same bulb for a year now and have had good results,but your philosophy makes sense to me fresh bulbs shine brite

let me explain something about lumens, good lamps and why people are throwing money away.

First of all you can not measure the output of a lamp for plant growth with a lux meter. You need to measure the photosynthetic photon flux with a quantum meter. High lumens values don't mean a thing. It only means that the lamp outputs at least a lot in the region around 550 nm, for which our eyes are most sensitive. Lumens are for humans. Until manufacturers all will show their ppf in micromoles you can not compare lamps at all. Some even invent their own new standard, such as the scientifically non-exitant PAR Watts (I think Venture does that). There is no such thing as PAR Watts in growlight. It is meaningless.

Bet let me tell you one thing, and this is a fact we have tested in the Ulbricht sphere:

A Philips 1000W EL Double ended outputs over 2000 micromoles. Initially even over 2200 micromoles. Even after a year of use it still outputs more than any new US HPS lamp. And all that extra light you have available over the complete grow period. So you can buy cheap lamps and change them ever so often, or buy one good lamp and keep that for a year, as it has a light maintenance of over 95% over 5000 hours. The difference can be up to 25% with one of the major brands US lamps. That represents 250W of power wasted. Over a year that is 1250 kWh of energy that you could have had available as light. 25% more light over let's say 4 harvests a year means up to a kilogram difference. Or more if you do 5.

Now that is throwing money away in my opinion. True, those double ended buggers are a bit more expensive, but up to 25% more growlight compared to leading US lamps it a lot. I just wish every manufaturer would cut the crap and just publish those industry standard micromole measurements. Philips does those for her horticultural lamps, every other horticultural lighting manufacturer does it in Europe. Inventing your own standard and self declaring yourself a winner in that category doesn't make any sense. And it also doesn't make sense to convince people to buy a lamp that is only tested in how well the eyes percieve the brightness of the eyes. You are not going to stare in the light, it's not for you, it's for your plants stoner :rofl!

I'm not going to publish all those figures on the forum though I must say it is very tempting. I hope the lamp manufacturers in the US picks up on these things and start getting their head out of their asses. (excuse my French)

no way anybody can convince me otherwise :-) cause i have a light meter.

so do I ;)

I have been using standard bulbs for about 10 or 12 years now I replace them after 3 grows and lifes good

my plants don't appear to know I am using a cheaper bulb

but whatever works for you is what you should do eh?

all the best and stay free

Dequelo

i change my bulbs twice a year with cheap bulbs (plantmax) i get on ebay

best buy I could find on 600s

D.

Philips but looking at dual archs ^^ I might need to do some more reading because they make 600 watt versions. Has anyone tested the Dual Arch 600's or is there any info out there like side by sides against philips bulbs?....If I can't find the info I might just take one philips out next crop and drop a dual arch in to test it...Looks great in theory just wondering if the canopy penetration pans out. Philips is a good bulb I usually go for that brand. If you shop around properly as well btw you can actually find philips dam cheap.

Urban Oasis

Gavita IR 250 / 400 / 600 watt

Works for me

greetz sannie

Anybody using Digilux?

Just moved in to a new grow room with a larger tent, fan, light and reflector, filter and so on...

I just lit up a Digilux 600HPS a couple of days ago so I can't give any real feedback....I also have a Digilux 600MH that I plan on using the last couple weeks of flower to try and increase potency via the UVB light it puts out. They appear to have a decent light spectrum and must be used with a digial ballast for max performance....expensive lamps.

peace...

I was wondering how those work MrGreenthumb.

I have a pair of 600s right now, one with an Eye Hortilux the other with Lumatek. I've always been a big fan of the Hortilux bulbs, but I swear the Lumatek is brighter. That being said, the lumatek is new and the Hortilux is about 6 months old.

Lumatek ballasts here also.... when I purchased another ballast, it was highly suggested that I buy the Lumatek bulb as they were hearing complaints of the Eys's failing due to the different starting voltage.

I got the full range of sunpulse bulbs to go with my digital ballast, four in total, two types for veg, one for most of bloom and one for last week of bloom.

What a load of shit, paid extra money for lower yields.