•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Dicomaco

3, 5, 7, 9 finger leaves?

I've researched this myself before asking here but the information is scarce.

What determines if a plant has 3, 5, 7, 9 etc leaves..? I read that the percentage of sativa/indica in a strain has something to say, but haven't had it confirmed..

I'm also wondering, how come some of the 5 and 7 finger plants I've taken clones off, sometimes only grow 3 fingers? I don't know why but I always think of it as less healthy if a plant has few fingers, but does it really mean anything?

Hi Dicomaco,

And what about the day you joined opengrow ? Does it mean something ? :)

Peace.

Sorry I don't see your point? Do you think my question is stupid? ;)

The relevance is related to two things.

1- age. young plants usually get three leaves before five and seven.

2- genetics. some plants have five some have more. I have seen a mutant plant with 13 leaves.

My two cents.

Peace.

P.S. Weedstiti- I too do not understand the point of your response, and it kinda comes off condescending for reference.

Sorry guys i was just trying to make a joke as Dicomaco joined on 10/10/10 and his question was also related to numbers. My bad.

English is definitely not my cup of tea. Or should I take some course ? Maybe just stop smoking too good stuff..

I sincerly apologize, it was certainly not not my intention to appear condescendent as I don't feel like that at all. Quite the contrary...

Peace and sorry for this poor humor....

The relevance is related to two things.

1- age. young plants usually get three leaves before five and seven.

2- genetics. some plants have five some have more. I have seen a mutant plant with 13 leaves.

My two cents.

Peace.

P.S. Weedstiti- I too do not understand the point of your response, and it kinda comes off condescending for reference.

That 13 fingered plant wasn't mutant it was a sativa dominant plant... My columbian red haze X northern lights have 11 and 13 fingers.

Sorry guys i was just trying to make a joke as Dicomaco joined on 10/10/10 and his question was also related to numbers. My bad.

English is definitely not my cup of tea. Or should I take some course ? Maybe just stop smoking too good stuff..

I sincerly apologize, it was certainly not not my intention to appear condescendent as I don't feel like that at all. Quite the contrary...

I got it bro, don't worry!

I think its def strain related btw, and size of plant

yea man strains will have all sorts of different looking leaves but usually all the strains that i've grown start off as seedlings with one bladers then the next set is 3 blade (sometimes 5 blade if the plants excessively happy with life i think lol) then the next set is 5 leaves etc. sometimes they dont increase fingers with each set. each plant will have its peak of how many fingers it can achieve (genetically programmed). it also has something to do with hours of darkness per day. if you flower a plant it normally decreases its fingers on the leaves. ends up tossing out one finger leaves sometimes during flowering. if you re-veg your female plants they will most time push out some deformed curled looking one blade leaves and the serrations on the leaves also become deformed or absent. then as per seedling stage they will start increasing numbers of fingers with each new set of leaves after re-veg has kicked in properly and the deformations start to normalize on the newer leaves.

Many strains will do a genetic shift when they get old - like if you keep a plant for a mom. When this occurs the plant will go through some morphologic (shape of the leaves and plant) changes. Several of my clone moms only put out single leaves until a cutting is rooted and growing on its own, then it puts out more. When it matures it looks like a normal plant.

Some strains do not do well after said shift. The Killing Fields yellow pheno got stunted and began to grow poorly after I ran a cutting as a mom. It flowered out and refused to develop roots from cuttings so I tossed it. The purple pheno is very well behaved, though it has only singlet leaves.

Other strains never do end up looking like cannabis though - they continue to put out only single leaves right through flower. Genetic drift again.

i thought it was funny ;) :)

;)

genetics determine leaflet count, but again, if you was born if a hotter climate, would you have grown so much hair as your hairy mum and dad in an icey country? (metholodically speaking, not saying your parents are hairy..)

Environment will usually determine, but outdoors and in right conditions, leaflet count may be limited by genetics..

Bonsai mums usually never grow more than 3-5 leaflets, but the same cuttings can grow 7 leaflets in same photoperiod and different environment so im guessing keeping the mother plant the way I do is reducing its leaflet potential.

KF indi pheno(green),

gallery_2317_1303_927121.jpg

right, there is a shift, but......

if you turn your plant on 12/12 and take clones of it, you will end up with "preflowers" on your clones.

it is very important to remove all "preflowers", otherwise your plant will stuck in this "preflower-period" and usually develop only 1-3(some do 5 if vegged bit more, but usually stay with that) leaves, doesent matter if you turn them on 18/6 or 24/0.

a clone stucked in "preflower" will never turn out to be like the mom, stretch is decrased because shes already in flower(some genetics are also decreasing stem-size/grow), the worst scenario would be a plant with 1-3 leaves.

remove "preflowers" and they will turn back to "veg-period" and start developing usual leaves.

this issue could be useful for sativa-dominant plants to prevent a huge stretch, they will yield near the same amout compared to plant size but will never stretch that much as a vegging plant. To me "stretch/real flowershift" is very important because its not only simple the size of the plant or even distance between internodes, it is also a increase of stem, development of huge fanleaves (sure more yiled because of that here), and its also the fastest development-period of leaves/plantsize.

just what i experienced, correct me if i am wrong :)

i will add some pics later of stucked/nonstucked plants.

namoste

chu

KF indi pheno(green),

right, there is a shift, but......

if you turn your plant on 12/12 and take clones of it, you will end up with "preflowers" on your clones.

it is very important to remove all "preflowers", otherwise your plant will stuck in this "preflower-period" and usually develop only 1-3(some do 5 if vegged bit more, but usually stay with that) leaves, doesent matter if you turn them on 18/6 or 24/0.

a clone stucked in "preflower" will never turn out to be like the mom, stretch is decrased because shes already in flower(some genetics are also decreasing stem-size/grow), the worst scenario would be a plant with 1-3 leaves.

remove "preflowers" and they will turn back to "veg-period" and start developing usual leaves.

this issue could be useful for sativa-dominant plants to prevent a huge stretch, they will yield near the same amout compared to plant size but will never stretch that much as a vegging plant. To me "stretch/real flowershift" is very important because its not only simple the size of the plant or even distance between internodes, it is also a increase of stem, development of huge fanleaves (sure more yiled because of that here), and its also the fastest development-period of leaves/plantsize.

just what i experienced, correct me if i am wrong :)

i will add some pics later of stucked/nonstucked plants.

namoste

chu

I just took some clones from plants that had been flowering for 9 days, they had micro pre flowers... should I still remove those? I don't have a lot of confidence removing flowers from plants, I'm afraid I'll cut off too much heh :S

The only time I've experienced clones having retarded growth, was back when I foolishly tried to veg 25-30 clones under 100w cheap-ass CFL's bought in some crappy discount store. They grew completely retarded, with stretch and single to double leaves. I managed to cut down a few of them and start them over under proper MH light, but most of them never recovered.

Otherwise I've cloned successfully up to 2-3 weeks into flower a couple of times, without removing the pre flowers... and when I think of it it didn't take longer for them to root / reverse than when I take cuttings in veg...

KF indi pheno(green),

This one is a special plant ^^

14 leaves ... sounds like a genetic history ^^

A grow is 1.3.5.7.9.11 . (13)

flow is (13)11.9.7.5.3.1

chuvalley; this plant look nice. i wish i could see her entire. if you can ;)

( hope no one died reading my newb's words :) )

great's

nathalie'

I just took some clones from plants that had been flowering for 9 days, they had micro pre flowers... should I still remove those? I don't have a lot of confidence removing flowers from plants, I'm afraid I'll cut off too much heh :S

The only time I've experienced clones having retarded growth, was back when I foolishly tried to veg 25-30 clones under 100w cheap-ass CFL's bought in some crappy discount store. They grew completely retarded, with stretch and single to double leaves. I managed to cut down a few of them and start them over under proper MH light, but most of them never recovered.

Otherwise I've cloned successfully up to 2-3 weeks into flower a couple of times, without removing the pre flowers... and when I think of it it didn't take longer for them to root / reverse than when I take cuttings in veg...

yap, i would remove them.

to me its always preflower`s that causes single/triple leaves on clones.

dont be afraid, by removing preflowers you cant go wrong.

my expirience is:

clone#1 with preflowers still not in veg after 6 weeks(max 5 bladed leaves, smaller stems, smaller leaves and slow growth compared to "full revegged")

clone#2 removed preflowers, took about 5 days to full veg

if you have preflowers on the top of your plants, dont try to remove them by now, you could cause some dmg to them(way to small to remove them without breakeing/harm the plant), just wait abit till they grow out and then remove.

Ofcourse they will grow and flower without removing preflowers, but as i mentioned - to me they simply lose alot of potential, flowershift will not cause the same stretch/growth as usual and most of them will never see a 7 or even 9 bladed leave, leave-size and stem-size is also reduced.

This one is a special plant ^^

14 leaves ... sounds like a genetic history ^^

A grow is 1.3.5.7.9.11 . (13)

flow is (13)11.9.7.5.3.1

chuvalley; this plant look nice. i wish i could see her entire. if you can ;)

( hope no one died reading my newb's words :) )

great's

nathalie'

thank you natalie, indeed shes a special, she did some strange things anyway :)

she`s ready in about 40 days, she throwed some sterile nanners, after that her clones - it seems to be realized the situation and stopped throwing nanners, instead of that they started development of empty seeds :)

anyway, realy a nice smoke with incredible up high with a indi touch to this, lots of lemon in the smell, makes everyone smile for 2h, people say its the most "active" smoke they had from my garden, everyone on this is used "to do" something, to much and you will see strange things ;).

i wish i could show off more or better pics, but all i have of the mom is this here, at day #35 flower, about 90 cm+.

gallery_2317_1303_136563.jpg

EDIT: ah i found few pics from early flowering, notice the internodes ratio.

gallery_2317_1303_123207.jpg

gallery_2317_1303_327599.jpg

gallery_2317_1303_231765.jpg

here you can see a dried nug of her, the one on the left with small empty "seedshells"

gallery_2317_1303_535199.jpg

here again, the right one is KF green, left is KillingKush, same empty seedshells- shes is simply trying to survive :lol:

gallery_2317_1303_319596.jpg

i`ve got to mention that they were NOT pollinated.

namoste

PS: damn again i forgot to take pictures, i promise to take some today :lol:

i will show you a KillingFields deeppurple pheno, "extra-stucked" in flower to prevent stretch, and some other things that will explain my words bit better.

chu

yap, i would remove them.

to me its always preflower`s that causes single/triple leaves on clones.

dont be afraid, by removing preflowers you cant go wrong.

my expirience is:

clone#1 with preflowers still not in veg after 6 weeks(max 5 bladed leaves, smaller stems, smaller leaves and slow growth compared to "full revegged")

clone#2 removed preflowers, took about 5 days to full veg

if you have preflowers on the top of your plants, dont try to remove them by now, you could cause some dmg to them(way to small to remove them without breakeing/harm the plant), just wait abit till they grow out and then remove.

Ofcourse they will grow and flower without removing preflowers, but as i mentioned - to me they simply lose alot of potential, flowershift will not cause the same stretch/growth as usual and most of them will never see a 7 or even 9 bladed leave, leave-size and stem-size is also reduced.

finger licking....... ;) and purple as hell!!

thank you natalie, indeed shes a special, she did some strange things anyway :lol:

she`s ready in about 40 days, she throwed some sterile nanners, after that her clones - it seems to be realized the situation and stopped throwing nanners, instead of that they started development of empty seeds :)

anyway, realy a nice smoke with incredible up high with a indi touch to this, lots of lemon in the smell, makes everyone smile for 2h, people say its the most "active" smoke they had from my garden, everyone on this is used "to do" something, to much and you will see strange things :).

i wish i could show off more or better pics, but all i have of the mom is this here, at day #35 flower, about 90 cm+.

gallery_2317_1303_136563.jpg

EDIT: ah i found few pics from early flowering, notice the internodes ratio.

gallery_2317_1303_123207.jpg

gallery_2317_1303_327599.jpg

gallery_2317_1303_231765.jpg

here you can see a dried nug of her, the one on the left with small empty "seedshells"

gallery_2317_1303_535199.jpg

here again, the right one is KF green, left is KillingKush, same empty seedshells- shes is simply trying to survive ;)

gallery_2317_1303_319596.jpg

i`ve got to mention that they were NOT pollinated.

namoste

PS: damn again i forgot to take pictures, i promise to take some today :lol:

i will show you a KillingFields deeppurple pheno, "extra-stucked" in flower to prevent stretch, and some other things that will explain my words bit better.

chu

Bison, did you wanted to tell me something and took a hit from the bong? lol

Edit: just noticed your text in the quote :)

anyway, here we go:

KF dp pheno, came straight from a BUD(about 6 wks in or later), so to speak rescue cloning.

now, most users would think shes vegging, no shes not - still stucked (for size control, she will be kept as a mom later), she will not develop more than 5-bladed leaves until i remove preflowers.

gallery_2317_1303_37447.jpg

gallery_2317_1303_206798.jpg

here you can see the spots, where i removed preflowers, but still left some on the top of this plant.

gallery_2317_1303_87412.jpg

Preflowers on the top

gallery_2317_1303_62826.jpg

Now, this is the same pheno(KF dp), extra-stucked to control the size. Switched 12/12 on 2.11.10, 2 weeks in flower(7L pot).

you will never see more than 5-bladed(hardly a 6 bladed one from stress) leaves on stucked plants.

gallery_2317_1303_13384.jpg

gallery_2317_1303_61884.jpg

This one is Cheeseberryhaze, halfstucked - i removed the most preflowers about 1 week before switching lights to 12/12, same reason - size-control(7L pot).

gallery_2317_1303_91824.jpg

gallery_2317_1303_2113.jpg

This Plants are also 2 Weeks into flower, CBH-CBH-KillingKush, the one in the middle had also some preflowers left, notice the difference(5 bladed leaves on the stucked one).(7L Pots)

gallery_2317_1303_219069.jpg

gallery_2317_1303_308394.jpg

gallery_2317_1303_282958.jpg

gallery_2317_1303_131063.jpg

anyone that could confirm that? ;) just try&see

do some research on high yielding grows and you will see that plants with high blade-ratio on the leaves are related to high/higher yields compared to stucked ones.

namaste

chu

this is very interesting! i have never removed my preflowers before but after checking what you said im going to do it all the time now ;) ;) :) very useful info it it works !

I've researched this myself before asking here but the information is scarce.

What determines if a plant has 3, 5, 7, 9 etc leaves..? I read that the percentage of sativa/indica in a strain has something to say, but haven't had it confirmed..

I'm also wondering, how come some of the 5 and 7 finger plants I've taken clones off, sometimes only grow 3 fingers? I don't know why but I always think of it as less healthy if a plant has few fingers, but does it really mean anything?

i think its reversing starts 3,5 on indicas.if its going gack 5,3,1-throw it//sativa 3,5,7,9 fingers,same with that too