•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

charlie brown

small 400 watt box

I know that a 400 watt light is overkill in this size of a grow box but at $129.00 out the door i thought it best . the cabinet is vented by a bathroom exhaust fan i am going to pick up a 4inch booster fan later today with some clones , nutes and a mh bulb . to make up for the small size of the cabinet i have recessed the my planter through the bottom of the grow box and the table it sits on hopefully this will keep root temps closer to actual room temperature and also give me more space for scroging in . The ultimate goal is to use this to get better equip. and have a lil head stash. gallery_2013_1852_1014347.jpg. I cant get the other pics to transfer but you get the point . once the intake fan and clones are added i will post more , all feedback is welcome and appreciated .

Hey CB,

dropping the medium through the floor is one of the best improvements I made to my boxes,overall, and when I was hydroing, it REALLY helped cool down the temps, as I could add a lower resevoir, that constantly remove the heated nutes, down to the cooler one, then back up again.

I'd suggest you cut some intake holes, down lower, then your fartfan can pull some air up through your box. The round soffit vents are a good friend for cover, and pack the inside of them with some poly batting, LOOSELY, and you have light tight, intakes. Or good enough for our endevors.

Some cheapo weather stripping, will help reduce light leaks also.

I love boxes.

Hey CB,

dropping the medium through the floor is one of the best improvements I made to my boxes,overall, and when I was hydroing, it REALLY helped cool down the temps, as I could add a lower resevoir, that constantly remove the heated nutes, down to the cooler one, then back up again.

I'd suggest you cut some intake holes, down lower, then your fartfan can pull some air up through your box. The round soffit vents are a good friend for cover, and pack the inside of them with some poly batting, LOOSELY, and you have light tight, intakes. Or good enough for our endevors.

Some cheapo weather stripping, will help reduce light leaks also.

I love boxes.

I went and bought a roll of that last night to care of leaks around the door and was going to install the vent fan today i just got a 4in booster fan from htg has anyone used an air diffuser i was thinking of making one to keep an even air flow going through the canopy from the bottom pushing up the fart fan is mounted on top already and does a great job of pulling heat . once i get that done my soil mix is setting up just mixed it. have a great day everybody

Don't worry about the size of the space, your eventually going to make it bigger.

My 4 by 4 foot 2 part cabinet has grown out from the closet into a plywood shantytown that's taken over a third of my apartment.

Don't worry about the size of the space, your eventually going to make it bigger.

My 4 by 4 foot 2 part cabinet has grown out from the closet into a plywood shantytown that's taken over a third of my apartment.

Thats my basic goal ! thats why the overkill on light hope to use it as a veg light and be able to afford something better for flowering after this . just getting home and starting from scratch its actually been fun trying to make do with what i have been blessed with.

What kind of diffuser are you talking about? I have made a little air-floor that I vented a 150mm fan into, that worked ok.

Maybe you should think about some 80 - 100mm PVC piping, get some elbows to make a square, and a T-junction for the intake fan to go into. The just drill some 1" holes in the PVC pipe for air dispersal.

Just remember you will lower your air intake with a diffuser, it's a trade-off between air dispersal and in-take rate, and you may still need an oscillating fan to keep air moving (depending somewhat on your diffuser design.

Is that an air cooled hood? I can't tell from the pic. If not the bare bulb might cause some temp issues. What is the temp with the light on at the moment?

What kind of diffuser are you talking about? I have made a little air-floor that I vented a 150mm fan into, that worked ok.

Maybe you should think about some 80 - 100mm PVC piping, get some elbows to make a square, and a T-junction for the intake fan to go into. The just drill some 1" holes in the PVC pipe for air dispersal.

Just remember you will lower your air intake with a diffuser, it's a trade-off between air dispersal and in-take rate, and you may still need an oscillating fan to keep air moving (depending somewhat on your diffuser design.

Is that an air cooled hood? I can't tell from the pic. If not the bare bulb might cause some temp issues. What is the temp with the light on at the moment?

just added a 4 in booster fan and got it down to 84 will a diffuser cause more heat issues , i got a piece of glass and was thinking of mounting it an inch below the light and sealing that part off then adding a computer fan up above , think it would help or be a fire hazard i vent through the top anyway to suck as much heat as possible

If you add that glass then you will not be able to adjust your lights (if I understand your description properly), given that you can't adjust your plant height either you might want to do one or the other.

I would say a diffuser isn't needed, you have a small space, a 120mm intake fan and a small deskfan would probably do everything you want. You just gotta try and see, I've played around with a lot of different configurations, and had real temperature issues.

They way I have it know is almost perfect, in terms of temps, but I could still streamline it.

Micro-issues: temp, light, air flow, noise they are all related, tinker with one and you'll change something else, the only thing that is really fixed is your light (assuming you don't change lights part way through).

If you add that glass then you will not be able to adjust your lights (if I understand your description properly), given that you can't adjust your plant height either you might want to do one or the other.

I would say a diffuser isn't needed, you have a small space, a 120mm intake fan and a small deskfan would probably do everything you want. You just gotta try and see, I've played around with a lot of different configurations, and had real temperature issues.

They way I have it know is almost perfect, in terms of temps, but I could still streamline it.

Micro-issues: temp, light, air flow, noise they are all related, tinker with one and you'll change something else, the only thing that is really fixed is your light (assuming you don't change lights part way through).

ok so i'm at 6 days after the flip my grape ape is 20 in across and 20 in high i did end up adding the glass and cant believe how much it has helped with temps. my noise from ventalation is out of line but i'm ok with that for some reason my pics won't transfer over but they are in my gallery and public i found that grape ape really likes cooler temps and is popping flowers everywhere i cant believe how quick she has responded to the photoperiod change well may 10 hopefully we will have a nice box of nugs i still have extra cuttings if anyone is in co and has red card hit me up much love and respect opengrow

ok so another week down and this plant is insane there is no more room for her to spread out at all and she's covered in crystals man she is beautiful and stinky for only starting her third week of flower i'm impressed grape ape will definitely stay in my garden

sounds great charlie...are you still having problems posting pics from your album?

i cant get em to transfer they are in my alblum any ideas