•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

The Joker

Joker's Grow Lounge

The problem I'm having is I switched my lights to be on at night. Now during the day my dehumidifier heats my room too much when the lights are off. I have a huge exhaust fan that comes on for 20 minutes each hour, which is helping. I guess I need a mini split ac. I would have to silence the hell out of it though.

The problem I'm having is I switched my lights to be on at night. Now during the day my dehumidifier heats my room too much when the lights are off. I have a huge exhaust fan that comes on for 20 minutes each hour, which is helping. I guess I need a mini split ac. I would have to silence the hell out of it though.

If you don't mind, I'm curious about a few things.

What is the temp and RH of the air right BEFORE it gets inside the grow room?

I'm surprised that you would have high humidity without high ambient temps.

High ambient temps would mean you have an AC or are running exhaust 24/7.

Maybe I'm looking at it wrong. How do you ventilate when the light is on?

I have an exahust fan running 24/7 pulling hot air out of the tent and, through negative pressure, bringing in fresh air. At night, the ambient is a colder, so I run the lights at night. During the day, if the temps creep up, i can turn on the AC to keep the source of fresh air cooler. This way, i'm trading either adding heat with the light or removing heat with the AC.

As it gets really hot into summer, the AC might have to run into the night.

Like I said, maybe I'm misunderstanding your situation.

Thanx Whazzup on your post,that kind of informations(about mycorhiza dormant state) i was looking for.

it is recommended though to add fresh spores or propagules when planting. Soil life is really extremely interesting and very complex matter. Bactaria and fungi are not necessarily equally spread in the soil, you can find for example different colonies of different mycorrhizae colonize different parts of the pot. You will also measure extreme differences in pH in your pot, in flowering as low as 4 near your roots when your average is 6.3. Tip: Adding humic acid has a pH stabilizing effect on the substrate. It is something that you might not notice immediately but you will see less problems with nutrients too. Even in mineral grows humic acid can make a difference.

What is the temp and RH of the air right BEFORE it gets inside the grow room?

How do you ventilate when the light is on?

Temp and humidity are fine when the lights are on. I pull in fresh air and exhaust with a 10" fan through a huge carbon filter. During lights off I have to turn off the ventilation due to 60f, 90% humidity outside. So I run the dehumidifier inside with no ventilation during lights off, except to dump excess heat periodically.

About the light and the heat: If your room temp is 10 degrees above ambient there is something wrong with your ventilation. My average temperature rise in a tent is between about 5-7 degrees with passive inlet (based on 5x5' tent)

I always prefer to run my lights at night, winter and summer. And not only because night electricity is cheaper :)

Thanks for the help guys.

My lights are in open reflectors. I'm working on more ventilation. I just ducted my exhaust further from the room so I can turn up that 10" fan more without worrying about the noise.

I have my fan on a speed controller. It was set on the lowest setting possible for two reasons:

1. Carbon filter efficiency, the slower the air goes through , the more it filters

2. Exhaust noise. I installed an inline ozone filter ( best money spent) to kill smells that overwhelm the phresh filter.

In order to do that, I had to remove a duct muffler and the exhaust to the outside has gone from silent to moderate.

I did turn the fan to medium amd the temps dropped, but now the exhaust is louder than I prefer. Yesterdays temps were between 65 and 78. That was with the light turned back to 1 k.

I get fog cooling from SF Bay but about two weeks per summer it gets very hot. I'm also sealing my passive intake which is filtered from outdoors. The cool bay air raises the rh.

Thanx a lot Whazzup for your explanation,i was allready think to buy Humic Acid,but here they dont have this product,i will take it via Sannies Shop,i was read good stuff about HA.Joker,no disrespect,like your thread,i was have need to tell Whazz thanx for informations he share with all of us.

Greets,DJ

Something funny about filters... If you use them at a rating much lower than they were designed for you have a chance that the under-pressure is not low enough to pull air through evenly. Most air will pass the coal closer to the flange. If you want to overcome that you can for example block the first part with clingfilm after a while. But that increases the pressure drop of your filter.

That's why we don't use a lot of in-line fans in Holland, mostly boxed squirrel cage 4 pole motor fans. They run very quietly.

A rule of thumb with a passive intake is that is has to be at least 3-5x the surface of the exhaust ducting. Improving the in-flow will dramatically influence your extraction rate, air circulation, climate and any possible draft problems.

One of the simplest way to prevent a lot of noise is large size (insulated) ducting. Much noise is often caused by air flow, not by the fan.

Thanks Whazz. I've really tried to apply your advice, from the lighting changes, to getting blumats, to using the Phresh filter , to trying organics , bigger pots and on.... I appreciate it.

I have 3 angles in my ducting and each angle makes it louder.... that's the bigger issue. I have 6 inch ( 15.2 cm) ducts that ARE insulated and a 6 inch fan With the muffler the out take was silent, without it goes whsssss! I vent into a tree, but a nosy friend of my wife's figured it out before I had the ozone generator. He saw leaves fluttering on a windless day. He always snoops around when he's here. He's been near the grow, but it's hidden behind a rolling bookshelf! My fan is suspended from bungee cords and wrapped in soundproofing insulation. The room is insulated with attic insulation and plastered 1/8 ' thick for silence.

It's all about the happy middle. Enough light, but not too hot. Enough ventilation, but not too loud.

Next move will probably be going from 16 plants in 3 gallons to 12 in 4 gallons. We'll see.

A little bird came by and gave me a Fire OG Kush and Girl Scout Cookies, so I'll be running those very soon. Was going to run Chemd, but we'll see.

It is quite the juggling act, this growing business. This information is valuable and will be used as I set up a tent here in the next couple of days and I wont see "cool" temps again until late October or so. Thank you both Whazzup and Joker, you are huge assets to our community.

Joker at least you found some nutes that you like, lol.

Nice score on the cuts dude. You still gotta run the D though, it's sooooooooo good.

I know. I'm torn. I am going to run all Cherry Pie again, but 2 plants per 3 gallon just to see what happens. ( Ed Rosenthal had it in his book I got a few years back ) . I have 15 rooted clones. I will veg a single Chemd to get cuts and run the D with one Girl Scout Cookie tester next round. I love the D too. I wish I could automate the General Organics, but it would clog the blumats and smell like a subway bathroom in two days.

I guess I'm doing drain to waste in soil now until I use up the last of these nutes.

So the noise you have is actually air noise. If you have the opportunity you can try to change the ducting to 200 or even 250mm as from the fan to your exhaust. That will make it much quieter. Anything above 7m/s makes too much noise.

Are your intakes big enough?

I have a single darkroom vent in a box built over a slightly larger opening to the outside... ( with a filter on it behind the vent for bugs and pollen etc.). The size is about 20.3 cm x 20.3 cm. Was going to close it off completely because it draws moist foggy air in and I want to lower Rh.

http://www.amazon.co...35571509&sr=8-1

Was thinking about putting the darkroom filter on the opposite side pulling air passively from indoors. Is that too small? The room is 2 meters high, about 2.25 meters long and 1.4 meters wide. Thats's 4 ' wide, 6 ' high and 7 ' long for the rest of us.

Hi Guys

Its seems, a lot of the problems with growroom climate, could be eliminated for some of you if you went the Co2 route. You all seem to run A/C's anyway.

I have been playing around with Co2, and are most happily surprised. I bought a 6 kilo bottle and it has lasted more than 4 weeks by now. So if sealed properly, its not using a lot actually. Leafs are thicker and overall plants look very, very good.

If I lived a hot place, I would not hesitate a second, if I had the dole to, and fingers to seal up my room and hook up a Co2 tank and some automation. I understand why Rosenthal always emphasize how useful it is.

I have other reasons for going this route than excess heat, cause I struggle to keep up +30 C in my room even in daytime and in spring.

I do have some small humidity issues that a dehumidifier fixes along 3-4 C + to help me reach 30C. But it kills some of the savings, not all though.

I wanted to cut the exhaust fan more or less, since it was a good way to save some k/Watts. Also, I could save heating costs in the winter, by not sending the heat out to the birds, but keep it in the cellar. I wanted to be more independent of the outside climate, and its seems to be a lot easier than anticipated. This is why I would recommend others to try it out as well.

Its really good fun and it pays in the end.

I am kind of in doubt, of what the higher temp does to the soil life, but will evaluate the roots afterwards. I will try some in Coco next, see what happens.

Anyway good to see y'all...and as always, lots of golden nuggets to get wiser from here.

Funny thing.....I have not used nicotine in 6 weeks, after smoking cigarettes happily for 35 years. This has profoundly changed my taste and preferences in weed and the way I consume it. Which may be obvious to the bright reader...LOL...

I would wish SOME BREEDER hmmm, started developing an almost THC, CBD etc free cannabis strain with very good taste and burnproperties. Then get it accepted as cigarettestop medicine, instead of the poisenous shit big pharma sells people, and hurt damage their liver and kidneys with. I wonder what kind of money such a strain would generate ?

I stopped cigarettes without any difficulties, because I had all the joints I wanted.

Downside was, I was less serious, dedicated and target seeking during that period, but I had fun though. also I had no "Satori"(the all time weakest I've ever grown) so I had to use Chemd+4+theWhite OD and some other strong leftovers.....I really wished I had some, many times...LOL

Rule was smoke a J whenever the need for a cig came up.....Now I don't like J's so much any more and got me a Volcano and some bubblers, smoking has changed...for the better.

@Joker....have you ever considered using 2xdimmalbe 600 watts instead of the 1000 watts. Reason I ask is your height in the room

I had an easier time controlling 2x600 than 1x1000 in my room and we have similar limits in height, for me the circulation pattern did not work out.

Have a good one everybody.

Satyr

I have a single darkroom vent in a box built over a slightly larger opening to the outside... ( with a filter on it behind the vent for bugs and pollen etc.). The size is about 20.3 cm x 20.3 cm. Was going to close it off completely because it draws moist foggy air in and I want to lower Rh.

http://www.amazon.co...35571509&sr=8-1

Was thinking about putting the darkroom filter on the opposite side pulling air passively from indoors. Is that too small? The room is 2 meters high, about 2.25 meters long and 1.4 meters wide. Thats's 4 ' wide, 6 ' high and 7 ' long for the rest of us.

anything in a passive intake will dramatically reduce air intake. These louvers are not any different, most suppliers specify the pressure drop. The easiest way to cool is an active intake, that reduces the intake size, but be sure to spread that air through your room.

(8x8") Light-tight louvers that allow fresh air to pass through freely. Most efficient when used with a Darkroom Fan. But one or more may be used to ventilate the darkroom. 12x12" for a room up to 12x14', or 12x24" for a room 12x20'

8" by 8" is very small. I would go for a much larger size if you want to use it passive.

That's the only part of the room I've not modified. There was an existing passive vent and I filtered and boxed it in. I think I will close it off and make a small intake on the opposite side using a small square fan .

Sad day today. Adam Yauch of the Beasty Boys died. He was Vajrayana Buddhist so hopefully his practice kicked in at the end. I grew up listening to them. I remember Haze and some of the original NYC Graffitti artists piecing Beastie Boys around Manhattan to promote them. Rest in Peace and thanks for the music...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUP2vdEmAmA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

That's the only part of the room I've not modified. There was an existing passive vent and I filtered and boxed it in. I think I will close it off and make a small intake on the opposite side using a small square fan .

Think capacity. Will all the passive and active intakes be enough? Computer fans do not add a lot ob air unfortunately.Think real fans ;).

I'm going to get inline fans for my intake and pull cool air from a crawl space.

Grape Krush x Blueberry. Smells like cat piss and fruit. Yielded quite well.

gallery_312_1070_2164675.jpg

gallery_312_1070_532974.jpg

That looks tasty man! I am guessing it leans to the BB side? How far along in the pics?

I would imagine the crawl space air will be a more consistent temperature than pulling in outside air, good idea.

I am growing a Blueberry outdoors this summer, this thing is a beast! I am going to light dep my outdoor this year, starting in a couple of weeks, so I can have it all done and down by early September at the latest. Bugs start doing their thing late in the season and the smell is going to be ungodly, lol, with the line up that I have going this year. The least I can do for my neighbors is to have it over and done with quick, save them the long, drawn out, end of the season stank. This will also allow me to let some of the longer finishers ripen properly, Chem d, the OG's, Lemon Thai..., and not run into weather issues in the fall. That's the plan at least, lol.

Nice work Joker, she looks beautiful. Not bad for a 1 seed shot :verrygood !

I took it ten weeks. I have no idea. She was VERY grape at first , then that wonderful smell disappeared. Then a new smell came out in week 9, the pineapple, grape. But the cure will tell. I've got 8 Blueberry in flower and they smell completely different.

Crazy outdoor line up! I think FFC easily pulled a lb with the BB. Gonna be stinky...

When I put black plastic bags over the plants to induce flowering, I became alarmed at the condensation in the bags. I worried it may lead to bud rot or mold. The bag interiors would be dripping wet .

Yeah, this is going to be one of the worst smelling outdoor grows I've done. That's another reason I will light-dep them, get them done sooner. The first time I tried light-dep I left them covered all night and was freaked out by the condensation on the inside of the plastic. What I do now is to just cover them from about 6pm until nightfall, then I uncover them and let them breath and wake up with the sunrise. I just have to look at the following days sunrise to know when I have to cover them. They are only ever under plastic for 5 hours or so. I also use a large black "tent", large enough for multiple plants and room to breath. If it looks sketchy by the end of flowering, I will stop covering them and they will finish fine by that point.

good intake plan! Nice buds!

The bags fortunately only need to go over the plants for a few hours, until it's dark. Ever tried white/black/white foil? Keeps out the heat too and very air tight.

Thanks! Bought two of these

http://www.homedepot...-fan-62960.html

With the cords I had to wire on, it's the same cost as the ones htg sells already assembled , shipping too.

So funny. I'm at Home Depot Pro wearing boots and a company shirt and a guy sees me messing with the inline fans. He asks if I work doing heating and ventilation and I politely tell him no, this is for my home.

He proceeds to ask questions and I explain how the fans work . He then says, well I'm building this for an air filter and I look him dead in the eye and say" It's too weak for a carbon filter." He stutters a bit and looks surprised like the air was just taken out of him. Very funny. Must be a new grower and very paranoid. That was the last thing he expected to hear from a guy wearing the uniform I was wearing ( contractor...).

He scurried off.

It's fun to play, "Guess Who Grows?"

I live in a non-med state, and at grow shops you have to play a different game, called Discuss What We Do Without Mentioning What We Do.