•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

rampageZA

PC Grow Case CFL

Hey all, i've decided to start growing but space is very limited so I had an old PC case lying around and I did some reading and research and converted the old case for about R100 (about $15). I'm not going to do a tutorial as there are already alot of good tuts out there. I've got a car windshield reflector on the inside and a fan i took from the old power supply that is pulling in cool air at the bottom, there is also another 10cm fan at the top to push out the heat from the lights. I took a piece of wood and screwed on 3 light sockets and wired them up with some strip cord and put a plug on the end. For some reason I struggled to find CFL's with bayonet fittings, so at the moment I only have two 11 watt cfls and one 20w but as soon as I can I want to replace the 11w with 20w bulbs. Luckily the fan i took from the power supply is super quiet and not louder than my PC is at the moment. The fan is powered by an extra cellphone charger that I had lying around. The genetics of the plant are unknown, its some bagseed from what we call Swazi Gold (sativa dominant) here in South Africa, usually this is considered a low grade smoke but is also highly dependant on how much care the plant is given by the grower. The PC case is intended only for veg and I have a closet that will be converted into a flowering cab in a few months. The plants are 11 days old at the moment and I have just started LST on the larger plant. Any comments or advice is appreciated. :icecool

Sorry I dont know how to add images in this post that are already posted in my gallery, it will only let me add an image from http and not my hdd or the gallery?

OPen an image in your gallery, cut and paste the BB code window into the thread . Voila! gallery_3298_1917_68513.jpg

Hey, thanks Joker :icecool , sorry it took forever for my pics to upload cos of my slow connection and then I was just getting frustrated and just gave up. So here are the pics everyone ;)

gallery_3298_1917_72284.jpg

gallery_3298_1917_266499.jpg

gallery_3298_1917_197810.jpg

gallery_3298_1917_227432.jpg

gallery_3298_1917_86115.jpg

gallery_3298_1917_95869.jpg

gallery_3298_1917_125450.jpg

gallery_3298_1917_111383.jpg

gallery_3298_1917_285036.jpg

gallery_3298_1917_12920.jpg

gallery_3298_1917_261570.jpg

gallery_3298_1917_11222.jpg

gallery_3298_1917_10829.jpg

gallery_3298_1917_69366.jpg

gallery_3298_1917_332511.jpg

gallery_3298_1917_82862.jpg

Now that is a wild plant when you have to rope it. :icecool

Cool, thanks for the comments guys :icecool the reason those cotyledons are so deformed is because the seed shell took a few days to fall off and I wasnt home to help them off the plants. Also due to my inexperience I left the pots way too far away from the lights and caused them to stretch quite a bit. However I've got them much closer to the lights now and they are looking much better now ;)

Thats cool.

Some smart thinking, playing some Mcguyver and your off for a grow.

What is that on top of your soil? pieces of wood?

The plants look healthy.

Grdz e$ko,

Thanks e$ko, yeh I didnt have alot of cash and saw alot of other guys getting some nice results from pc grows so I figured I should just give it a shot. On the top of the soil is some wood chips that came from the bag of potting mix I bought. Its organic so its filled with all kinds of sticks, but under that layer is some finer soil, I've also added in some bone meal to the mix. I also give them an organic supplement of nutes when they are watered. Lighting is at 18/6 and they get about 9 hours in the sun and the other 9 under the CFL's/

and u did a nice job there. Cheap and working.

Cause we give our plants allot of water, the wooden chips will get wet often.

Thats not a very good thing. Allot can happen.

Nothing is better then sunlight.

But the overwelming power of the sun, and only 9 hours could get them into flowering.

9 hours of sun and rest cfl is almost day and night difference.

U dont actually have to go 18/6

U can go 24/0 in growing phase without problems, that works faster.

24/0 has the advantage to keep the same conditions(specially temp) all the time.

3 strains are know around u, that is the Gold, the Redbeard and the original Swazi.

U will see the difference. Its all fine ganja to smoke.

Grdz e$ko,

Looks almost like pine bark in a way. That stuff is acidic. Every outdoor grow I have done I try to stay uphill and away from pinetrees. Bad thing is, those things are everywhere here. Google Map is your friend for sure..........

Thanks for the info, I removed the large bits of bark off the top now, hopefully it hasnt affected the acidity of the soil too badly. Yeh this is a very cheap set up and I'm quite happy with how it is working so far :icecool I'm busy watching the Jorge Cervantes Grow dvd 2 some awesome stuff ;) forgot to add that the plants are 12 days old in the last pics. I'm not actually too sure which strain of swazi it is, I know for sure its not redbeard (we call it Rooibart here) from the colour and taste it seems like swazi gold but it could just be the way it was cured/grown. I'l post another pic update tommoro.

Hallo rampage,welcome on OpG :icecool

cute,little babies ;) i like those bonsai-style Grows

Took some new pics tonight, the leaves look droopy on the large plant because I have to bend them down to allow the new leaves to get as much light as possible.

gallery_3298_1917_219585.jpg

gallery_3298_1917_137456.jpg

gallery_3298_1917_155069.jpg

gallery_3298_1917_162019.jpg

gallery_3298_1917_171914.jpg

gallery_3298_1917_176580.jpg

Thanks for the comments hupla, the plant is now growing outdoor hopefully it should start flowering soon as we have 12/12 outdoors now and the coldest temp in winter is about 14 degrees celcius(about 57 farenheit) and that is still about 7 weeks away.

here are some new pics

Day 42

gallery_3298_1917_329709.jpg

gallery_3298_1917_189349.jpg

Day 44

gallery_3298_1917_100987.jpg

gallery_3298_1917_11500.jpg

gallery_3298_1917_81100.jpg

Hallo Rampage

your SwaziPlant doing fine,as it looks from here :o can´t wait to see the first flowers !!

Thanks saxo :o unfortunately this plant should have had a flower room to go into but had some personal disasters and I wont be able to afford my flower cab right now. But I like learning by experience and thats why I've planted bagseed at first. I cant wait to get to my second grow started with better genetics and better equipment.