•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

ledm8

A new LED grower checking in

Hello

I'm a new grower that has no earlier experience except doing some vegetation and cuts. My first project is a micro grow with LED system in scrog. Basically I'm here to spread the word about LEDs to help people to decide what's the best lighting for their needs.

Welcome to OpenGrow. Nice to see another LED grower on here. I'll be watching your grow the LED fascinates me. Enjoy your time here.

welcome to both you guys have fun look foreward to seeing what can be done with led's

Hello ledm8. Welcome to OpenGrow. I would like to get into growing with LED's, but they're still a little too expensive at the moment. I'll be looking forward to seeing what you are doing with LED's. :P Fascinated. :P

One more LED boy. It keeps coming. LOL. Pretty interested myself. Read today, that Bridgelux and Osram I think it was, were refining a new buildingprocess for LED using silicon as medium. They expected to reduce prices for LED with around 75% within 2-3 years.

By then they expect the likes of Samsung atc to join the party

Also it seemed, that there so far, is an upper limit to the power output of LED on 235 Lumens pr Watt.

To bad such news keeps me sticking to HPS a little while longer.

Kudos for leading the way and paving the road for us conservative growers

Hello :P

I won't say welcome, as i'm even newer than you ;D

Anyway, i'll follow your grows, LEDs are the future for indoor growing imho :P

Jim

What kind of unit are you running? How many watts, watts per light, etc?

https://www.opengrow.com/index.php?s=&s...st&p=483080 if thats the case how am i getting 8000 lumens from over 40 feet away?

I'm always convinced to go LED, up until the point I start looking at prices.

I know it will save in the long run, but it's a lot easier to pay a somewhat higher electric bill each month than to come up with 2-3x the initial purchase cost.

I dont know ibez... http://www.lighting.co.uk/news/silicon-boom/8613498.article

this is not the article I got the info on the theoretichal max lumens output, but they seem to be jubilant to get 135 lumens pr/watt. In another interview with the CEO of Bridgelux he himself mentions a theoretichal output on 245 lumens/watt.

Still if your gear is just a 60 watt led with a 135 lumens/watt you should get 8000 lumens from that one. I guess you are running more than a 60 watt LED setup. Or am I wrong ?

If you have a decent LED light it should be at least 300 watt to produce more than souvenir harvests. That should give you 40.000 lumes output on a 300 Watt LED, so 8000 lumens 40 feet away is not really anything in that connection.

If you run a 300 watt on 245 lumens/watt that gives you 73.500 lumens....just for comparison...a 600 watt HPS gives you 90.000 lumens.....So if they reach 245 lumens/watt you are blasting HPS to hell lumens whise...

400 watt HPS is ca. 50.000 lumens

400 watts of LED at 245 lumens/watt gives you 98.000 lumens.....Thats way more than a 600 watt HPS with just 66% power consumption.

400 watts of LED at 135 lumens/watt gives you 54.500 lumens

So what about your poor and mesasly 8000 lumens at 40 feet, I can understand you are dissapointed that you dont get more lumens from your gear, but its probably subpar Chinese stuff with bad LED's, Cant explain your very low lumens in other ways....Bad LED's

Can you ?

Mister Dirt wait two years or so, and you will have thrown a highpower LED in your bag for peanuts compared to the prices today. The raw material is much to expensive today, but with silicon prices will plummet with 75%....just wait, they will be cheaper than HPS

I dont know ibez... http://www.lighting.co.uk/news/silicon-boom/8613498.article

this is not the article I got the info on the theoretichal max lumens output, but they seem to be jubilant to get 135 lumens pr/watt. In another interview with the CEO of Bridgelux he himself mentions a theoretichal output on 245 lumens/watt.

Still if your gear is just a 60 watt led with a 135 lumens/watt you should get 8000 lumens from that one. I guess you are running more than a 60 watt LED setup. Or am I wrong ?

If you have a decent LED light it should be at least 300 watt to produce more than souvenir harvests. That should give you 40.000 lumes output on a 300 Watt LED, so 8000 lumens 40 feet away is not really anything in that connection.

If you run a 300 watt on 245 lumens/watt that gives you 73.500 lumens....just for comparison...a 600 watt HPS gives you 90.000 lumens.....So if they reach 245 lumens/watt you are blasting HPS to hell lumens whise...

400 watt HPS is ca. 50.000 lumens

400 watts of LED at 245 lumens/watt gives you 98.000 lumens.....Thats way more than a 600 watt HPS with just 66% power consumption.

400 watts of LED at 135 lumens/watt gives you 54.500 lumens

So what about your poor and mesasly 8000 lumens at 40 feet, I can understand you are dissapointed that you dont get more lumens from your gear, but its probably subpar Chinese stuff with bad LED's, Cant explain your very low lumens in other ways....Bad LED's

Can you ?

Mister Dirt wait two years or so, and you will have thrown a highpower LED in your bag for peanuts compared to the prices today. The raw material is much to expensive today, but with silicon prices will plummet with 75%....just wait, they will be cheaper than HPS

Dude, are you looking for information, or were you just born a jerk? My led gives off 65,000 lumens with 15 different light spectrums including uv and ir, bro, and is one of the top on the market as of the beginning of 2011. At 40 feet away (your 600 watt hps probably is doing about the same lumens as an incandescent at that distance) 8000 lumens is to show the light has greater penatration capabilities. I looked at different lights for over 3 years before getting back into growing indoors. The only problem I have with this light is the cooling fans on the light, too noisy the closet it's in is not insulated, gets pretty loud in the bedroom. this light covers the same area as a 1k, he has a 1300 watter that is crazy bright. And. while it may be fabricated in china, so is most of your hps bulbs, ballasts, hoods, etc., so all that crap you can save, it's the quality of the lights and the manufacturer that put it together, along with the engineer who designed it. These lights were designed by a grower, actually a group of growers out in cali. They are sold by a grower out in cali. He doesn't make alot in advance, so there is a little wait still, but the light definitely does the trick, and without me having to spend 600 more than I did for cooling, etc., would have taken up even more of my room. The only thing I wish was different was the ability to do a vertical grow, like to hang 5 or 6 of these in a circle and see what they could do with a vertical stadium grow, something like that. I know that only 1 week into flower last go round I had trichs jumping out all over the place, it was crazy!!!

In the articles you are reading take into consideration the size of light they are talking about, the wattage, etc. And, remember this, all the energy is used to produce LIGHT not heat, like hps. Also, only about 30% of that light directly affects the plant, everything else has to be reflected back to it. There have been several successful led grows, on 420mag and cc among others, Irishboy, ebflow, settingsun did a sidebyside with led and hps, led won, lots of others out there. I read an article recently where they had a 1k led, the chip was half the size of a stamp, brighter than the sun but burned up within a minute, but still they did make the light and are working towards that technology. Can you imagine a 1k led, adjustable colors, 200,000 lumens, no heat, uv, ir? Granted they are still expensive, and for the most part they don't do what they claim BUT THERE ARE SOME RIGHT NOW that definitely work, and work well. Don't be a jerk with your flamer comments, bro. LIfe is too short to waste on stupid shit.

Welcome dude...this aint a place ive seen bashing like that, so ots all good, just post the pics as proof...i do know this, my grow store i use has a sign that says they dont and wont sell leds, but i have no opinion on em. I just love killer smoke and seein pics of great buds, so again, welcome!

Indican

@Ibezphil........I may have gotten slightly irritable, but I am not flaming LED's in generel. What I did, was showing the infancy LED still is in. I dont say they don't work, and I am familiar with Irishboy, dunit etc. and their grows. I do follow the development. Hell I have been very impressed with Saddhu's grows, and am even comtemplating buying a LED rig.

The point I make, is that the production cost, for the time being are exorbitant compared to a few years in the future. Quality of the LEDs goes the same way. If you pay 2.000 USD for a 1300 watt LED that will probably be 500-700 USD in 2-3 years.

Another thing is the way the way the are getting better at making colors that matches Kelvin temps closer. Like buying a 6500K LED or a 2700K just like a HPS but with higher lumens output in addition to a more targeted Nm range.

From what most in the business says, problem with Plasma and LED today, compared to HPS is the intensity, even if it not in the theory, it does have a large say in the end product.

Can you show me many grows, side by side, where LED are really outperforming a HPS seriously watt on watt ? Especially when cost are factored into the calculus.

I am so close to buy a LED rig, but every time I go through all the facts, it seem not to make sense from an economical perspective - Yet.

But how many growers are gonna prefer a HPS to a 235 Lumens/watt.....hardly anyone. But today its still novelty item with lower output and if you are in it for the crop HPS is the safe and economical choice. LED are good for situations like stealth grows in dorms where you cant have an 800 m3/h running to keep temps low.

Just to give you an indication of my motivation for being a LED boy....I pay usd 0.50 pr kw/h..... so just a 20% saving would do me and my wallet a lot of good, so dont call me a LED hater or flamer. On the contrary, the lumens number above shows everybody that HPS is old tech about to be obsolete. But not yet.

Did those you bought your 1300 watt LED from give you numbers for the lumens output/watt on the LEDs ? 8000 lumens at 40 fett is impressive, I agree, but imagine what 245 lumens/watt will do

I see LED as having a place depending on the grower and their environment. Not all lights fit all situations and that most people only have a view of the LED from the internet essentially realistically limits the genuine understanding most people got by reading on the internet and most of that would be grow logs and the like.

So I care not for much speak on who wrote what and the like. I am generally not impressed by mere words alone no matter who speaks them. Since many base their knowledge on internet writings typically they tend to be as subjective as rumors on grapevine so it can be rather amusing when I see people get their panties all wadded up over such issues they generally have no real knowledge of. Its one thing to take that information and build from it but do not take that information as whole fact.

I have seen LED grows that looked liked a 250w HPS and those I would say closer to a 400w. I have not seen much so I am no expert and far from being more than competent in my view on my understanding of the plant. With that this is my view and its not a whip out contest for those who may feel threatened by LED discussions lol.

LED have less heat. In many cases further cooling is not necessary due to light heat. I have not seen the latest generation of LED lights that are said to be a bit warmer but may depend on manufacture.

LED does not need to replace bulbs and operate at a lower cost. This appeals to those with keys on keeping a lower grower footprint. Not bulbs to buy and lower monthly electric cost but higher upfront cost for light.

LED will not typically have the same light footprint as other lighting options. (in a vast majority of what I have seen, led lights have a small footprint but like I said I have not seen any of the latest models but seen a few people say they were closer to an HPS footprint but often disagreement on size.)

To date I have seen the best use of a LED in veg, early flower and as booster lights in HPS/flouros.

I would love to see a LED light that is genuinely comparable to a 600w that I could see. I have not seen it yet but I am no expert.

In my limited understanding of LED grow lights, supposedly a direct comparison of lumens/watt is not legit, since so much of the output of an HPS (or an MH) is not used in photosynthesis.

Because I'm looking for a low heat light fixture for vegging, LEDs have come up on my radar (again). The rough equivalent of HO T5 fluoros is less than half the purchase price of the LEDs, so I won't be owning them this year. If there were a lot of examples of people who grew side-by-side LED vs. HID or T5 available to peruse, I might consider going into a little debt to get them, but I haven't seen many. I assume that will change soon.

I paid 13 bux fot 4ft t8 fixture at walmart, a hundred for 1000 watt ballasts at the grow store, and a hun for bulbs

I easily get 99% seeds to pop, and get 1.5 lbs or more without even using reflectors. I could buy 10000 watts of hps. Y would i even consider anything else?