•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
rockycrag

EDTA

So apparently its as far from organic as you can get, but its in cal mag and various other nutrients, If you google EDTA, youll find some of the same articles of its pros and cons. I cant find anyone that is really for or against it, all i know is that its supposed to be bad for the environment, I just started using cal mag for bloom, seems to be working great, its plant food, so is it harmful to be smoking, does anyone have any experience using ferts with iron EDTA in them??

organicare makes a calicium supplement without EDTA but its made with out magnesium, if i want to grow completley organic shhould i got with the calcium from organicare or do i need magnesium also to keep the plants green through bloom??

I think the problems with EDTA are more complicated than the chemical itself being toxic. It eventually breaks down in soil, and there is probably very little in Ca/Mg nutes.

EDTA essentially wraps itself around metal ions and keeps them isolated from their immediate environment. Metals, like Ca and Mg are only very slightly soluble in the conditions they encounter in soils, soil solutions and hydro water. What EDTA does in this case is keep the metals in solution so they can be taken up by plants. Chances are, the Ca and Mg would eventually precipitate out of their nutrient solution without the EDTA.

The big issue is that EDTA also makes insoluble heavy metal ions, like lead, chromium, nickel, cadmium, zinc, etc., soluble. When a lot of EDTA ends up in sewage treatment plants, they can no longer properly process the water to remove all the heavy metals.

The bottom line is that I wouldn't worry about putting a solution that includes EDTA on my plants. Maybe you want to make sure you don't flush it to the sewage treatment plant.

If you want to grow organically, I would sugges you would use Chicken manure and Mearl (seaweed lime) for Ca/Mg.

All things in bottles are bullshit imho. Organics imho is solids, only bottled substances I ever use is Molases, everything else is solid....

Kees.

PS EDTA is a non-natural substance, so it's never good for the environment, EDTA when used outside (or indoors with flushing) WILL flush away (all) micronutrients. The EDTA molecule is in constant equilibrium;

EDTA + M <===|=> EDTA-M

Or something like it, where there is very little 'free' M (metal ion), this constantly goes back and forward, but EDTA has affinity to more then what you buy it connected too... It also flushes away yer micronutes.... So if you use Chelates, be sure to use FULL LINE NUTRIENTS, so u get Macro/Micro's in the right ratio's, and if you want to spike one of the elements, DON'T FLUSH !!! That's what kills your plants, taking away the micronutes and replacing them with a shitload of CA!

I hope you understnad what I wrote down, i wasnt feeling like typing 2 pages, so if you want to know more, please ask and I can explain in more detail. (i used to do chemistry/biology/physics education to my classmates that were not so good at those)

just don't combine chelates with organic nutrients, seems like a bad idea. That can create an imballance in the nutrients. For hydroculture I would use chelated micro elements.