•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

J-ZAP

Questions about

I know the glass Mason jar is the standard....but I dont understand why? I mean....why/how is glass better than those "burpabable" plastic containers? And.... even tho Ive been using Mason jars, my cured weed almost never has much of a smell. After a couple of months I can open a jar and get a TINY bit of that nice smell....but never that "WHOA! Man, that smells GREAT!" kinda smell. Ive grown several breeders White Widow, Medicine Man, Juicy Fruit, Black Widow, Madonna, Sweet Tooth....and NONE of them had the great smell I associate with Great Weed, LOL. I have NO complaints about the potency of any of these strains---they ALL kick ass. Im just wondering if it's something Im doing wrong....or if maybe these just all have little or no "baffy aroma"...?

I think Im doint it right...I hang dry for five days or so, until the "almost snaps", then into the jars....Iopen the jars at night and close them again in the morning until all dampness is gone....then just leave the jars closed. Should I be doing something differently? Does anybody else have a history of "no smell" strains?

I was kind of gratified when a friend brought some California "Trainwredk" he paid 400/oz for, LOL. It LOOKED great but had no smell. I was also gratified to smoke some and fine it was good, damn good....but just a tiny bit NOT as good as my own C-99 in taste and potency. However, even tho it was called Trainwreck, Im not totally certain it really was. Im under the impression TW is a heavy-duty couch-lock stoner.....and this stuff was DEF a sativa high. Anyway....what's up with the No Smell thing?

Long as Im in Question Mode, here....another thing Im not getting is, WHY are my buds not as hard and tight as much of the California weed I see? Is it because I run a 600 instead of a 1K? Or.... should I be using some kind of bud enhancer? I have used GRAVITY, but frankly, I cant say for sure it really DOES anything. What bud enhancers have you guys used that wrok? It kind of kills me to see those BIG beautiful fresh buds turn light and airy when they dry. Ive used BOTANICARE and CANNA SUBSTRA nutes....Ultra Snowstorm and GRAVITY. Oh, and BUSHMASTER. Of all those, the only one I KNOW really works id the Bushmaster. That stuff WILL stop the stretch. The rest.....I dont know . I can say that those buds that I used Ultra Snowstorm on did seem to have bigger trichs under the microscope. Im a little suspicious of the seemingly endless products out there....I wouldnt mind spending bucks on ANY product that actually DOES make buds bigger or denser..... it just seems yo me that IF all this or that product really is is an extra jolt of P or K, then why would a bigger dose of bloom nutes serve the same purpose? Im TOTALLY confused about all the many additives out there. Maybe Im just cynical. But I have this feeling some of the companies think if they put some P and K in a day-glo package and name it something like "God's Super Bud" or some shit, all us "stupid stoners" will buy it.

What have you guys learned about additives from your own experience?

Thanks

J-Zap

First of all I feel the plastic will absorb some of your smells and flavor. If you take let's say something witha tomato base haven't you seen it absorb into the plastic and leave a stain? Have you ever seen that with any glass container? Also a lot of the trichomes get knocked off while they are jarred, also the resin builds up. I can clean that out of the jars and have some kick ass smoke from it. I'm not able to with the plastic.

Now about your Trainwreck. Trainwreck is one of my top two favorite smokes. It is mainly considered to be a haze. Haze is not intended to give you couch lock. It is supposed to make you high not stoned. After smoking a good haze your mind should be active and you should want to do something other than being a vegetable.

Now was it really Trainwreck that you had? From your description I would say doubtful. Trainwreck has a smell and taste to it that you can never forget. It will be more of a piney smell and taste. The buds are sticky and gray in color. After smoking it you will have a terrible case of the munchies and you feel energized.

JZ,

I have had some of these same experiences~ with Madonna, Jackhammer, KF, Bluehammer, Walhalla, etc., etc... NO SMELL. (Ok, maybe a light, light smell) and somewhat airy buds. I don't know what medium you use, I grow in soil. This last grow I used a bloom boost/root stimulator (NPK= 5-50-17+micronutes) for the first time, and holy crap Batman... HUGE difference in bud density. Now, mind you I don't grow organically... I used to use Peters, but the stuff I used this time is made by a company called Plant Marvel. They are the ONLY chem. nute system my grow shop carries. This stuff is UNREAL. It completely dissolves in water, with no residual "crumbs/chunks" in the bottom of the gallon container. There is no overfeeding of this stuff that I have seen, and no lockout. Ask Mav about the bud density... It was right on. It didn't do anything to make the smell increase, however. Granted, when you break one up or grind it, that's where you can smell the goodness. I was really suprised by the Madonna especially, as it says in the seed shop that she is extra stinky.(Paraphrase). I am not going to tell you to run out and buy some Plant Marvel. What I WILL suggest is some kind of a root/bloom stim... at around the NPK numbers I listed. It seems to be key in bud formation. Also, the roots grew like crazy. I know that helped in itself.

Good luck man, and if you learn a secret make sure to share!

Peace~

I think the drying process has a fair amount to do with how well your stuff will smell. Just my .02 cents. Dry them slow, and cure them long. Also, Mav is dead on with his description of the real Arcata Trainwreck.

UM

Glass all the way (for me) I've invested in glass gallon, 1/2 gallon, quart & pint.

It took a couple of years of growing & drying before I feel like I came close to perfection in my drying/curing. I used to always wet trim (as in completely manicure when the branches were just cut from the plant) due to the ease of trimming when everything is firm and crisp. (as compared to limp and sticky) One day, by accident, I was was stoned and fell asleep while trimming. I had somewhere to go for 6 days when I got up - I hung them to dry (with all their fan leaves cut off and any leaves not containing trichomes) When I came back, they they were quite dry (stems snapped). They had been drying at 67 degrees for those days. I freaked at first, and then thought, well, I'll keep this for myself and give the better stuff to my patients.

To my great surprise and happiness, when I started manicuring the dry buds - a beautiful aroma had developed (some even better than when they were growing) Buds that smelled dank, even when not in a huge collection in the jar. From that day forward it was dry manicuring for me. For so long up until then, I felt like a did a pretty good job growing, but was always sorta disappointed in the lack of extreme dankness at the end of the process. Good luck with the learning curve & give it a try (even if you just test a few branches with how I'm describing) I don't think you'll be disappointed.

*PS - it also seems that if you check them daily and manicure at their peak, you won't have a lot of need for burping because they are well dried but still sticky from the protection of the outer sugar leaves before you cut them off.

hi ho all, threr is something that i mfeel is a very important part of the drying and curing prosess. and that would be whenyou dry it just keep it where it is dark and the temp is low and go slow. now when the stems are almost able to snap ya know just before they break when snapped ..they will be about one more day and then they would snap quite easy.take them down and putted them in paper bags the ones from the store nearest you. then put them in a dark location for about a day or so. this dark local should not be as warm as where as where you had them hanging to dry. just a nice safe dark place. then finish the drying after you do this. Ps. when you think they are done make sure to check to see that the stems are still snapping.many times there is moisture left that is very difficult to detect. if you jar it up with this moisture left in the buds they will almost surely mold. i hang my plants in the garage high up and leave it so their is a little air flow also. and heres something that ive experienced. there is a point when the oder seems to have gone south on me . not allways but once in a while some strains lose aroma. and then it comes back at the final portion of the prolonged cure. take your time. if ya want some smoke right away just put a few buds in a paper bag a small one and put it in your sock or pocket. its actualy the same kind of temp a little warmer but the same in that the temp should be constant,a low temp that stays at that temp the whole time cept when in the paper bags. ive used cardboard boxes with strings to use as hangers like little clothes lines and put in a closet or better yet in the attic up in the atic is great but you shouldnt dry it all the way in the attic just a day or two as it is usualy to hot for the whole dry..and it seems to me the aroma is realy brought out when you use the bag method. putting it in sock or pocket is meant as a much better fast dry than the microwave oven . the microwave is a sure way to fuk it all to hell. good luck and be safe. Peace Andmoreagain :) oh yeah the prosses i descibed has been used for ever by tobacco companys.its called sweating. and it has a place in the ganga world to. ok by now :D

First of all I feel the plastic will absorb some of your smells and flavor. If you take let's say something witha tomato base haven't you seen it absorb into the plastic and leave a stain? Have you ever seen that with any glass container? Also a lot of the trichomes get knocked off while they are jarred, also the resin builds up. I can clean that out of the jars and have some kick ass smoke from it. I'm not able to with the plastic.

Now about your Trainwreck. Trainwreck is one of my top two favorite smokes. It is mainly considered to be a haze. Haze is not intended to give you couch lock. It is supposed to make you high not stoned. After smoking a good haze your mind should be active and you should want to do something other than being a vegetable.

Now was it really Trainwreck that you had? From your description I would say doubtful. Trainwreck has a smell and taste to it that you can never forget. It will be more of a piney smell and taste. The buds are sticky and gray in color. After smoking it you will have a terrible case of the munchies and you feel energized.

Thank you SO much! That answered not only the questions I asked but one I didnt---WTF is "haze"? LOL. OK. Yes, I have seen the yucky re3d stain from spaghetti sauce that you cant seem to EVER get out of tupperware. OK. Now, I see. Allrighty, then....GLASS.

The only "haze" Ive grown or smoked was Super Lemon Haze (Greenhouse_. Fabulous. Got better the tlonger it sat in the jar and even eventually got a nice smell. Im dying for some Neville's Haze. I like it SO much I feel like I want to experience MORE of the Hazes.

Now...the Trainwreck my friend shared was more golden in color, very HIGH, no Stoned.....so whatever it was, it was damn fine, but probabably NOT "real" TW. This is good news, because TW has been on my "Gotta get this" List for some time and the stuff I smoked, wgile extremely nice, wasn not something I'd kill Grandma to get some seeds of. OK! Now TW is BACK on my list, LOL.

Again, THANK YOU. It seems that in the world of MJ, there is a lot of Truths, a lot of myths, and a lot of pure BS! It seems like my (our) job as Growers is, FIND the Truthhs.

MANY Thanks

J-Zap

JZ,

I have had some of these same experiences~ with Madonna, Jackhammer, KF, Bluehammer, Walhalla, etc., etc... NO SMELL. (Ok, maybe a light, light smell) and somewhat airy buds. I don't know what medium you use, I grow in soil. This last grow I used a bloom boost/root stimulator (NPK= 5-50-17+micronutes) for the first time, and holy crap Batman... HUGE difference in bud density. Now, mind you I don't grow organically... I used to use Peters, but the stuff I used this time is made by a company called Plant Marvel. They are the ONLY chem. nute system my grow shop carries. This stuff is UNREAL. It completely dissolves in water, with no residual "crumbs/chunks" in the bottom of the gallon container. There is no overfeeding of this stuff that I have seen, and no lockout. Ask Mav about the bud density... It was right on. It didn't do anything to make the smell increase, however. Granted, when you break one up or grind it, that's where you can smell the goodness. I was really suprised by the Madonna especially, as it says in the seed shop that she is extra stinky.(Paraphrase). I am not going to tell you to run out and buy some Plant Marvel. What I WILL suggest is some kind of a root/bloom stim... at around the NPK numbers I listed. It seems to be key in bud formation. Also, the roots grew like crazy. I know that helped in itself.

Good luck man, and if you learn a secret make sure to share!

Peace~

Hey HEY!!!! What was the name/brand of the root/bud stimulator you used?? Im ready to order the same one! LOL...seriously, ANY product anybody has used that really works is on The List. What drives me nuts is the endless array of prettily pacaged stuff that costs plenty but doesnt really do shit. Ever bought any of those? I bet you have!

Have you ever useed PK 13, 14 by CANN? The directions say to use it for one week at 6 cc's /gal. Now THAT shit does seem to work. The other thing I notice is, some strains just seem to produce bigger, denser buds. I have some Killing Kush that tastes great, kicks your ass, smells good....but just doesnt produce those great big buds. They're more like...thin, narrow, long buds. NO complaint about potency!!! But damn....I just wish the buds were twice as fat! Is it possible that the KUSH varities just produce long skinny buds? And...what, exactly, does "KUSH" mean? Ive heard of The "Hindu Kush"....are KUSH varieties from India? Is the taste of the KUSH varities kinda earthy? Im trying to learn what the heck all these differnt terms mean..."Blue", Kush", Haze".....jeeeez. To be able to taste something and say, "Oh, that's def a KUSH"....or, "Haze" would be a valuable skill. Im such an Olde Farte, Im still used to just tasting/smelling something and saying, "Damn! That's GOOD WEED!" I WANT to fine tune my taste buds and all.....but Im having trouble with the Fine Points of knowing just by taste, smell or even looks, just WTF Im smoking. Seriously, back in "The Day", weed basically came in three categories..."pretty good"," damn good" and "Killer". This whole expertise in subtleties like, "fruity", let alone REALLY zoomed in descriptions like, "grapefruit" or "pineapple"......just confuse the crap outa this Old Timer. I mean...OK, I CAN acertain a fruity quality in something like Super Lemon Haze, LOL. But....Ive heard growers dexcribe their phenos as, "like Lemonade", "burnt lemon peel" and "more lime". I just dont think I have that kind of discerning nose or something. LOL! For me, "Kinda lemony" is about the best I can honestly do. Somebody told me that Pineapple Express IS C-99.. I dont think this is true.... My C-99 didnt smell or taste anything like pineapple...but again, Im not sure my taste/smell talents are Top Shelf I can tell "perfume-y" and "earthy" and "fruity"....but the fine diffs like, "tastes lime lemonade" are lost on me..

Thanks.

J-Zap

hi ho all, threr is something that i mfeel is a very important part of the drying and curing prosess. and that would be whenyou dry it just keep it where it is dark and the temp is low and go slow. now when the stems are almost able to snap ya know just before they break when snapped ..they will be about one more day and then they would snap quite easy.take them down and putted them in paper bags the ones from the store nearest you. then put them in a dark location for about a day or so. this dark local should not be as warm as where as where you had them hanging to dry. just a nice safe dark place. then finish the drying after you do this. Ps. when you think they are done make sure to check to see that the stems are still snapping.many times there is moisture left that is very difficult to detect. if you jar it up with this moisture left in the buds they will almost surely mold. i hang my plants in the garage high up and leave it so their is a little air flow also. and heres something that ive experienced. there is a point when the oder seems to have gone south on me . not allways but once in a while some strains lose aroma. and then it comes back at the final portion of the prolonged cure. take your time. if ya want some smoke right away just put a few buds in a paper bag a small one and put it in your sock or pocket. its actualy the same kind of temp a little warmer but the same in that the temp should be constant,a low temp that stays at that temp the whole time cept when in the paper bags. ive used cardboard boxes with strings to use as hangers like little clothes lines and put in a closet or better yet in the attic up in the atic is great but you shouldnt dry it all the way in the attic just a day or two as it is usualy to hot for the whole dry..and it seems to me the aroma is realy brought out when you use the bag method. putting it in sock or pocket is meant as a much better fast dry than the microwave oven . the microwave is a sure way to fuk it all to hell. good luck and be safe. Peace Andmoreagain :) oh yeah the prosses i descibed has been used for ever by tobacco companys.its called sweating. and it has a place in the ganga world to. ok by now :D

Now that you mention it...I remember usign the paper bag...and YES, it does seem to make a diff between the DRY stage and the CURE stage for getting OIUT that last little bit of koisture. I kinda forgot about nthe paper bag....but now that you've reminded me......Im going back to it. I had some very nice Black Widow that SEEMED dried turn kinda amonia-y on me in the jars. I took it out and put it on a shallow trya and let it sit in the sun light for an hour and the amonia smell went away. But I bet if Id have put it in the paper bag for a day or two BEFORE the jar, I could have avoi8ded the amonia problem.

Excellent...thanks.

J-Zap

Glass all the way (for me) I've invested in glass gallon, 1/2 gallon, quart & pint.

It took a couple of years of growing & drying before I feel like I came close to perfection in my drying/curing. I used to always wet trim (as in completely manicure when the branches were just cut from the plant) due to the ease of trimming when everything is firm and crisp. (as compared to limp and sticky) One day, by accident, I was was stoned and fell asleep while trimming. I had somewhere to go for 6 days when I got up - I hung them to dry (with all their fan leaves cut off and any leaves not containing trichomes) When I came back, they they were quite dry (stems snapped). They had been drying at 67 degrees for those days. I freaked at first, and then thought, well, I'll keep this for myself and give the better stuff to my patients.

To my great surprise and happiness, when I started manicuring the dry buds - a beautiful aroma had developed (some even better than when they were growing) Buds that smelled dank, even when not in a huge collection in the jar. From that day forward it was dry manicuring for me. For so long up until then, I felt like a did a pretty good job growing, but was always sorta disappointed in the lack of extreme dankness at the end of the process. Good luck with the learning curve & give it a try (even if you just test a few branches with how I'm describing) I don't think you'll be disappointed.

*PS - it also seems that if you check them daily and manicure at their peak, you won't have a lot of need for burping because they are well dried but still sticky from the protection of the outer sugar leaves before you cut them off.

WahT are you saying? Im not sure Im getting it! I remove all fan leaves first, THEN hang individual branches on hanger in the closet for 4-6 days, THEN remove the little leaves....is this what you're saying? THEN into the jars? Also, I live in the southern USA and except in winter, it's never 68 degrees! My druing closet in the summer is more like 76 degrees. Is that too hot? I have no idea how I can cool the drying closet....in the suummer, it's hot and humid where I live. But in the winter, I keep my room tempot about 68, which sounds perfect, right?

Great info--thanks.

J-Zap

WahT are you saying? Im not sure Im getting it! I remove all fan leaves first, THEN hang individual branches on hanger in the closet for 4-6 days, THEN remove the little leaves....is this what you're saying? THEN into the jars? Also, I live in the southern USA and except in winter, it's never 68 degrees! My druing closet in the summer is more like 76 degrees. Is that too hot? I have no idea how I can cool the drying closet....in the suummer, it's hot and humid where I live. But in the winter, I keep my room tempot about 68, which sounds perfect, right?

Great info--thanks.

J-Zap

You've gotten my gist - mid - upper sixties is ideal (so you can go low and slow) but if it's a bit warmer in your closet, try to keep them lower in the closet for slightly cooler temperatures. In humid conditions it's especially important to keep good ventilation going. Do you have a good exhaust fan installed in your drying area?

Good luck - seems you got a lot of advice :D

Hi JZ,

I actually have not ever bought any of those nutes. I am loyal~ to a fault sometimes. I had always used Peters nutes until they stopped making it. They are going again now, under a different name (Jack's Best or something along those lines) but I honestly think I am going to stay with what I have now (Nutriculture by Plant Marvel; they make a 20-20-20 and the 5-50-17) and that's it. I just can't complain about the results. Here are links to a retailer (not one I use) that lists a description of the products, and a link to the manufacturer... Good reads.

http://www.horticulturesource.com/plant-marvel~m180

http://www.plantmarvel.com/greenhouse.htm

On the "stank" topic... I have never had a smell problem throughout any of my grows; not in veg nor flower. The end product, post cure, had a slight smell but nothing you wouldn't carry in your pocket. I think maybe Robo shared some great info on that topic with us...

Good luck and take care,

Real

Hi JZ,

I actually have not ever bought any of those nutes. I am loyal~ to a fault sometimes. I had always used Peters nutes until they stopped making it. They are going again now, under a different name (Jack's Best or something along those lines) but I honestly think I am going to stay with what I have now (Nutriculture by Plant Marvel; they make a 20-20-20 and the 5-50-17) and that's it. I just can't complain about the results. Here are links to a retailer (not one I use) that lists a description of the products, and a link to the manufacturer... Good reads.

http://www.horticulturesource.com/plant-marvel~m180

http://www.plantmarvel.com/greenhouse.htm

On the "stank" topic... I have never had a smell problem throughout any of my grows; not in veg nor flower. The end product, post cure, had a slight smell but nothing you wouldn't carry in your pocket. I think maybe Robo shared some great info on that topic with us...

Good luck and take care,

Real

VERY helpful, guys! Thanks. I'll be looking into those nutes, too.

Seems like the growing part is getting easier, but the curing....that still hangs me up some. I did discover a trick maybe somebody hasnt thought of---if you live somewhere real humid, like me, sometimes it can take a LONG time for buds to dry. My last grow those buds hung in the closet 8 days and were still damp. I took them and put them on a big flat plate and stuck them in the fridge over night! Next day, they were perfect for jarring. The humidity inside the fridge must be pretty low...plus, it's dark and cool, too. So---when all else fails, stick em in the fridge, LOL.

I guess folks who live in the desert have the opposite problem? Buds dry TOO fast?

Man...there's just so much to learn I did have a piece of good news this morning. All parents think their own kid is the best looking kid in the world and growing MJ us kinda the same. Im never certain I can be totally objective....maybe I think this or that strain is GREAT, but maybe Im just too close to it, you know? I mean....after four months of blood sweat and tears, you finally get to smoke what you grew and to YOU it seems amazing, right? So, I like to give a bud to this one friend of mine for a "second opinion". This morning she called and said, "Man....this shit aint for daily use.". LOL! That's the objective smoke report on the C-99! I thought it was super special....but having somebody else think so, too is the icing on the cake.

J-Zap