•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

e$kob@r

How to Grow Hydro Flooding Style

Guest Soi

gallery_9762_4823_11637.jpg

mapito buster,,, great for removing roots, and removing stumps, from your crates.

all the best

Very nice thread only thing that concerns me is that mapito stuff or what ever you want to call it looks like it can hold water for to long thus creating possible stem rot and that and rockwool seems to hold to much water for to long causing less 02 to stay in there after pulse the pulse brings in nutrients and water the drain is suppose suck fresh air into the root system but with medium retaining water for to long 02 gets depleted to quick inbetween pulses or waves as you say it so plants are holding there breath sort of speaking

I suggest Turface for the medium of choice And also make some sort of wicking system incase power failure so medium can wick fluid back up

Guest Soi

i have a paving system in my room,,, so there is alway a little water in the bottom of the room.

the roots smell lol the water, so even is i did have a power failure,, the plant would search more for the liquid..

hope that makes sence,,, mayb i post and image,, to give a better idea.

Just to WARN you all about mapito RFX-1, before you use it you better disinfect cause it is a factory of maggots!!!!! I found myself in some really shit, lot of money throw away cause i trust the product and was it not only happened to me. If you see your plant stall more than three days, check your fucking mapito, or the run off, get a microscope and don´t be afraid, use cipermetrine after pulling your plants, or use Cloripirifos 48% to try to kill them. I suggest to make your own mapito!!!!! The company will not give you solutions, they will only say they treat the shit!!!! As many you know it is winter time, and there is no bugs flying around plus for my indoor it is impossible to get them in. The yellow sticky band confirms that too. The only thing you cannot control is the medium, that you cannot imagine it carries eggs inside of it. So people be careful, and if you use it new or used, disinfect it, other wise you might end up like me and other people that has encounter with them

• Like 2

Mapito and rfx are two different mediums.

Rfx is a new medium, introduced a few years ago and if you buy it new, ......well, ....you buy it new.

Mapito on the other hand is made of chopped up rockwool slabs from the agriculture (like tomato- or pepper-growers) and coco chunks.

The mapito may contain leftover nutes, and/or pests, bugs or whatever was in the slabs before they were disposed. If you know this and treat your mapito right before you use it, where's the problem?

if you use it used, disinfect it, other wise you might end up like me and other people that has encounter with them

No disrespect meant, but this was the only part of your post that made sense,

So if your gonna use mapito, make sure you flush it well, and the last time you flush it you add h²o² to it.

Soi is right. Hydrogrown roots have no boundaries.

@Bagwell, you can't jugde somethin if you haven't tried it. Even in rockwool slabs is enough oxygen for the roots.

@Soi, Nice! You found that at the garden store?

• Like 2

Hey Mogliw, thank you very much for your input, maybe i did not explain well.

The RFX-1, i bought came infected with bugs, that´s it! easy and clear!!!

Hope you understand now!!

I know how to make my mapito, and i did it once, and changed to RFX for recommendation, and got wrong decision, so I suggest people to make their own mapito and do not buy from any place, buy your slabs and start chopping. you end up with better stuff than that RFX

• Like 3

Rfx 1 is crap. They trying to change a winning team.

I agree with u shark. Ive seen gnats also inside new bags.

I stay away from it.

When i wrote this manual it didnt existed.

• Like 3

You got any pictures with mapito being used ??? i am wondering if it retains to much water thus causing yellowing and possible root rot ,,, i am sure it has wicked wicking properties also i would bet one flood a day anymore and your drowning the plants ??? being its like a sponge this also concerns me about 02 being replaced during the suction ( Drain period ) if it holds to much volume and flood times are rare

then other issues might arise

Guest Soi

glad you back up and running sharki

i know it was painful for you when they just stalled and did f=ck all. and then the bugs.

i am glad i just re read this last bit. as i know the trouble you had.

as you say make your own.

i must say i like the Cultilene Mapito 80L, this work very well. but is not cheap

rfx 1 is cheap in comparison to Cultilene Mapito

peace bro

• Like 1

RFX1 collapses after several uses. These brown chunks dont have the same consistens.

Its possible to get two decent grows on it, then its wurth for garbage.

It misses the re-use.

Ive seen somebody with a fresh room, fresh everything of growgear and bam ... gnats out of the rfx1.

I belonged to the original Testers for RFX1 and i gave negative feedback about it.

They called it organic mapito.

When a company want to force such things on the market, testing or not, they will sell it.

Stay away from it.

• Like 3

esko, do you use Mapito solely because it's reusable or is there a real advantage to the medium, over say NFT suspension or even flood and drain using expanded clay pellets/ grow rocks?

Peace

RM

for me it is the watering intervals, like on soil almost. every 3 days.

in between there is nothing much to do other then have a toke :)

and hell yeah, the reusable element is definetly a big plus as well !!

• Like 5

Mapito is the best for many reasons.

U read passion in this discription i wrote, beyond the re-useability.

A fresh rooted cut in flower, 8 weeks later harvest. 6 decent harvests a year.

Optimising = best yields + best quality + lowest cost + minor handling/effort

Hydro went the wrong way, making it to complicated.

To many people think the magic is sold in a bottle or a system.

Clay pellets or hydroton was ditched a few years after hydro introduced itself.

Maybe it is presented to u, like the best, on internet.

But at the end its the results that count in your jars.

Mapito has the sponge effect, unbeatable. Make it more spongey, it fails. (quantigo and other likewise copies)

Growing weed on a nice scale is risk. In this risk there is no time for slow soil for me.

Once i was a dedicated soil grower, and i still am as bio gardener. But when it comes for buds, i chose hydro.

Its pretty logic that the lowest EC with the healthiest plants, is the purest nutrients suited for my plants. For that i use Hesi.

The mapito made me learn to understand the roots, the flowering.

The combination of flooding on mapito is the most powerfull u can have for growing buds.

Do the same with drippers and it will allready cost u yield.

• Like 6

Thanks san and esko, good food for thought. Although I don't agree with it all, I certainly appreciate it.

Peace

RM

Hi, apart from RFX-1 which after reading this thread I won't buy, I have found two other sources for Mapito in my country. Bio-Green and Cutilene, has anyone had good or bad experiences with either of these?

A fresh rooted cut in flower, 8 weeks later harvest. 6 decent harvests a year.

Optimising = best yields + best quality + lowest cost + minor handling/effort

Hi esko, nice u back from breeding lab to forum. (hope u have some thing new for us :)

mapito the best for me. but i have a dubt about 8weeks strains. if 10weeks strain brings a 20%(or more) yield increase = less flushing + less rooting cuttings + best quality / same (or more) efort.

im sad about HD down, i lost my current Lady Cane run records. almost 1 year run.

but i found 2 the best fenos wich gives me the great yield and smoke for 73 days.

i had to take at least 30 beans instead of 20 to find huge yeilder.

so that is the question, is 8weeks strain so good due to rapid harvest?

• Like 2

This thread is loaded with useful information, thanx for that esco!

I first found about mapito from NL grower Limbo, some 5 years back and I was in love with the system already, Im on my first grow coco/perlite/grodan mini cubes 50%/40%/10%, but I'm looking forward to get courage and try this

so I have few questions.

@escobar

1.Cutilene is only brand I can get in my area, it is about 38€ per 80 liters bag. Is it good? And does it comes in 80L bag or the bag has smaller volume/ vacuumed?

2. Is it possible to build flooding table from OSB board and cover it with 0.15mm black and white PVC foil and if it is possible is it better to face black or white side up? I'm guessing white is better for foil protection from light, but when it comes to algae can maybe black facing up be better?

3.Can a flood table be on the floor? Or reservoir under table is must? I'm wondering what would be best method of draining from floor level flood table. I have idea to solve this like this, get 5cm Styrofoam sheets to cover the floor and leave one 20x20cm corner spot without Styrofoam so this hole would be place exes feed could be extracted with the pump. OF course foil would go over Styrofoam Am I thinking good or is this waste of time? Having pretty much leveled floor it would be huge advantage if I could make table like this and Styrofoam will protect foil from any potential piecing

@ReverendMaynard

4.I'm also interested to hear good tips on getting rid of algae as much as possible

thanx

Guest Soi

if you can master mapito and follow esko thread on what to do you well see. it took me a bit of time.

you can line a floor with pond liner and flood with pump from resivor, after flood you return water to your rez.

hope that makes sence.

i have made my own mapito, and also buy cutilene type which the plant love,,, very light mix,

you need to make sure if you dont have a table that the crate are raised of the pond liner i use some tiling under crate it about 40mm high the tile the crate sit on this, and then the return pump is lower than this so it sucks all the water out of the liner.

HD WAY rocks and as santero say,, once you set it up which can take some time depending on the size etc. it is very very low mantanice.

:whistle:

greg@@@@@@ let see that last tent bad boy..

peace out

• Like 3

@Sharkota, I'm sorry man, have seen the rfx many times, it always looked nice, clean and new as it came out of them vacuumed bags.

Cause of hearin and readin stories with different problems durin the grow and therefor different outcomes I've always stayed away from it.

@Dalmatia, 1. Yes, mapito comes in 80L bags, unvacuumed, weight may vary due to humidity, here they're brandless white bags.

Think €38,- is a bit pricey, they're €23,- here, maybe no cutilene.. But hell, once you got it you're good for the next 3-4years

2. Yes you can build a table with osb, but it's better to use pond-plastic (1-2mm rubber) as a cover, and that answers your second question in this one, as the rubber is black. (white stimulates algea growth and will become dirty and makes your table look like a mess
:whistle:
)

3.You could use any design for a table, as long as it does what it's supposed to do.. Think Esko's design with the res underneath is by far the easiest, but can imagine with a larger table a different design could be preferably. Although 20x20x5 is a very small space for a pump it could work if you'd use an "ultra-zero" pump (
)

Soi's solution is an easier way. Not only for buildin, but for maintenance as well. You could use the same pump as mentioned above to drain your table.

4. No Light = No Algea.

If you'd cover your pots with some black/white foil till the plant covers it your good, just make sure your pito can "breathe". Same goes for your table, if it were necessary.

Please note that the rockwool used in pito don't take ph lower than 4 or it will start fallin apart. If needed to flush don't go under ph5 for the preservation of your medium.

Hope this helps a bit..

:wave:

• Like 2

Sorry to read all the bad story's about rfx. I'm using about 900L of the stuff for about a year now without any complaints.

Since the launch of rfx (used to be called docpito) about 5 years ago agrawool changed the composition a bit. Most dutchy's using it now witb out problems.

• Like 2

Sorry to read all the bad story's about rfx. I'm using about 900L of the stuff for about a year now without any complaints. Since the launch of rfx (used to be called docpito) about 5 years ago agrawool changed the composition a bit. Most dutchy's using it now witb out problems.

i've seen a perty nice reports with rfx.

do u flood rfx every 3 days?

... greg@@@@@@ let see that last tent bad boy.. peace out

ill post a final pics ASAP my HD friend))

• Like 2

ey, honestly fellas, lol ... i have been growing on rfx1 and had no issiues so far. but i just started out,

growing on the tables for about a year now, little less. so i still may bump into problems with that stuff.

well ... time will tell, they did change the composition a bit, maybe it helped.

Speak openly what u not agree in, i listen. Even curious ...

• Like 3

Flood every other day so 1 day flood 1 day dry. The longer you use rfx the better it will keep/hold the moisture.

Water each other day to keep the EC and PH value's at the right height not because rfx dry's out fast.

• Like 3