How to Grow Hydro Flooding Style

335 replies to this topic

#321 Hempyfan

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4305 posts
  • Interests:I have seen God! They never tell you what to do after that. So I vape on and I vape on..
    Jah Bless!

Posted 27 June 2016 - 04:50 PM

I count water EC plus nutrient EC combined. For me 1.5 EC is a bit high but others do run that high so I say as caution. Your plants will tell you.

With return of .7ec in rez, I would take tap water + EC to = 1.5 or your desired range.

Their are many ways to calculate, I am for generally going low in EC and let the plants show you the way as you increase EC until you know the genetics. I say generically.

Hope that helps.
Hempyfan.
I say Jah Bless. I say this I ask for blessing in all that I do and blessing to all those who take time to read me. If it causes a person issue, understand my meaning and I wish you well under whatever view or belief. To be simply happy and Joy in your heart is all I hope and mean!

#322 henny

Just Sprouted

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 11:10 AM

Hey Fellas its me again :wave:

I have now the RFX 1 from Agra wool and i Start it few days ago a new Grow this thread says first time flooding after 5 days BUT
the mapito in the bottom box is still wet and i can squeez it easily!!
The surface is a lil bit dry i cant squeeze it

So what i have to now?!? Wait a 1-2 days longer or flood the floor?!

thanks for reply

greetz henny

#323 The Rose of Darkness

Sexy Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 03:01 PM

Hi Henny,

I have also been trying to tweak out the moisture gradient that rockwool works really well for :)

The 'wet and dry' cycles for rockwool/mapito is what makes it potentially amazing as a media. You need to find a line between letting it dry out enough to allow the rootzone to breathe but flood enough to recharge media with nutrients. The ammendment of drainage in rockwool (mapito) assists this.

Still it would appear the Euro lads appear to dry out faster for some reason and flood every 3 days with success.

I found a 4-5 day flood worked better, but perhaps a healthy mychorhizal population in their rootzone helped to drink faster.

My little secret mapito tip I have discovered is to dose the nutrient with 2ml/10L of H2o2 (50% strength) about 30mins before flooding. This pumps the rootzone with oxygen for the initial 24-48hrs to stop the plant "bogging down"... works amazing ;)

Dont be deterred by RW/mapito... once you get it tweaked and understand "moisture gradient" and "steering" it is an incredible media to work with :)

Hopefully the pro's chime in shortly for you :)

Rose.
~Through growing I learn it is better to understand what I did wrong, than not understand what I did right~

#324 henny

Just Sprouted

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:42 AM

thanks for reply rose i have send you PM :mobile:

#325 Hempyfan

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4305 posts
  • Interests:I have seen God! They never tell you what to do after that. So I vape on and I vape on..
    Jah Bless!

Posted 07 September 2016 - 11:55 AM

Growpito flood and drain Video: Official and not a grower made one.

Flood and Drain: https://www.youtube....h?v=iMfFHCF3HAY

Transplanting in Mapito: https://www.youtube....h?v=kAi97L6oksc
I say Jah Bless. I say this I ask for blessing in all that I do and blessing to all those who take time to read me. If it causes a person issue, understand my meaning and I wish you well under whatever view or belief. To be simply happy and Joy in your heart is all I hope and mean!

#326 ledfoot

Illuminated Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 01:48 PM

View PostHempyfan, on 07 September 2016 - 11:55 AM, said:

Growpito flood and drain Video: Official and not a grower made one.

Flood and Drain: https://www.youtube....h?v=iMfFHCF3HAY

Transplanting in Mapito: https://www.youtube....h?v=kAi97L6oksc

Good videos. Don't watch the follow-up video in the first link unless you enjoy being greenwashed to death.

#327 The Rose of Darkness

Sexy Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 03:24 PM

Where are all the Hennepdesk guys these days? :P

If i may on your behalf Henny,

Henny has small planted clones (12") that are yellowing from the bottom up.

Tips are light green (new growth) with mid growth leaves yellow with green veins and some of the lowest leaves yellow but becoming necrotic (dying with edges and leaf turning crispy white)

I suspect root rot issue which would explain lack of water uptake and yellowing.

Distorted/discolored new leaves = elements unavailable - check ph availability

Distorted/discolored old leaves = insufficient amount of element = increase element

Hidronesia spoke of bad starting/yellowing but in regards to reusing mapito (decomposition of old roots causing N deficiency) but henny's is first use I believe.

What are your experiences guys? :)

Rose.

~Through growing I learn it is better to understand what I did wrong, than not understand what I did right~

#328 henny

Just Sprouted

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 04:00 PM

thanks rose again your are the best thumps UP buddy here is my problem plus picture links ;)

I have some problems with my ladys the surface is almost dry i cant squeeze out water..
but in side the crates is still wet and i can squeeze water out and the EC is 0.7
the Temperatures are max.29° celsius min. is 20° celsius
humanity is max.65% min.40%
The problem is the leafs are yellow i will add some pictures for you so you can see what i mean ;) (link)

i think the leafs are yellow because the PH is not correctly so i just bought a new ph gauge and the ph from my old gauge was 0.3 ph
higher!!! i flush the floor with 5.6PH but the real PH was 5.9!
So what do you think what i have to do now? flush the floor every 3rd day with the right PH 5.6?! or what is your advice?!

Or the issue is to low nitrogen?! iam using HESI for my ladys and the NPK stats are 3-2-4 very low i guess ?! i will buy now from
CANNA the hydro vega nutrient NPK stats are 6-2-8 i will spray on the plants directly hopefully it helps.....

please help me...

best regards
henny...sorry for my poor english...

here are the picture links

http://www.directupl...2ys9vrh_jpg.htm

http://www.directupl...kqpmq82_jpg.htm

http://www.directupl...qp8hq4o_jpg.htm

#329 Hempyfan

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4305 posts
    Jah Bless!

Posted 08 September 2016 - 12:27 AM

Potentially a handful of aspects going and lets not jump to conclusions on certainty nor cure. In the below sequence, before we do anything we need to identify what the issue is and then give it a proper think before acting on it.
  • Rule out bug infestation. If it is a bug infestation look for larva of fungus gnats. If you have any small flies, you got em.
  • Rule out root rot or any other rooting issue. (Check and clean filters in pumps if you have that type) If rez temps rise too high this can be direction of root rot. (using some H2O (hydrogen peroxide) at time of feeding will help with this but also helps add oxygen to water and has root benefits. Do not do this if you use bio organic nutrients.
  • If absolutely nothing eating roots and roots are white in the crate and normal looking then proceed.
  • Possible phosphorous deficiency was noticed and reacted with a high dose of vegetative nutrients (nitrogen) and scorched tips. This could also be caused by normal feeding but with damaged roots if a bug or rot issue it causes an aspect similar to high EC.
I look and look at your pics and I feel like I am just not seeing something. I cant put my finger on it but I am zombie tired and that may be it.

I do not see PH issues.
Check res temperatures at feeding. Make sure around 72f add ice bottles if necessary to bring down. I am not sure what that is off hand in voodoo Celsius numbers :wOOt

In hydro I like to add a we bit of yucca as to help ensure even distribution in root zones but in mapito this may not be as effective as I act like it is compared to DWC and the like. Still I recommend it at 1/4 to 1/2 tsp per 10 -15 gallons for maintenance level. It will help with pumps.

I will try to be back tomorrow and give a fresh look but this the Hempyfan zombie tired level of help so I apologize if I missed something.

Good night and I hope tomorrow finds you better.
Hempyfan

#330 henny

Just Sprouted

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 10:12 AM

Thanks a lot Hempyfan you help me a lot :tu

i will make more pictures from other plants and roots so you can get a better look maybe you can see something then!

And i will check the roots and make some pictures but i dont think there is root rot inside the crates..we will see
I have use now new mapito from agrawool and i flushed before the new mapito and i checked the EC was 0,5 and now i squeeze the mapito out and EC is 0,7-0,8
maybe i have to put more nutrients?! higher EC??!!

Or could be the issue i have feed the plants before with wrong PH ?! and now i only need to flush/feed with the right PH?!
i never go above 1.0 EC in the first 2 weeks so the EC is not to high now....
maybe the issue is the HESI nutrients??!! because the NPK stats are to low for my plants (cheese) and the ladys need more NPK like canna got on his nutrients?!

here is a link i think this could be the issue
http://www.growweede...o-marijuana.jpg
watch the color of my leaves looks similiar or?!

and here is something i found on growweedeasy.com

Sometimes you can get the signs of a cannabis nitrogen deficiency if the pH at the plant root zone is too low, even if the nitrogen is there. This is because when the pH at the roots is not right, your plant roots can't properly absorb nutrients.
and they say also on this side this about PH range
No Need to Be Exact - Let pH Range Up & Down
The thing to remember with pH is that you don't need to be exact. What you do need to be is consistent in keeping the pH from creeping too high or too low in your plant root zone.
As long as you stick within the recommended pH ranges above, you will prevent the majority of all nutrient problems caused by too-high or too-low pH.
Why is it a good idea to let the pH cover a range instead of always adjusting to the exact same pH number? Some nutrients are better absorbed at slightly higher pH readings, while others are absorbed better at lower pH readings. Not having to try to pinpoint an exact number also saves a lot of unnecessary frustration.

So what is your advice PH for mapito at 5.5 - 5.8 or higher/lower?

So much maybe this maybe that..iam totaly confused :wacko:

hopefully i get them back to normal color....

thanks in advance for help and reply :)

#331 Hempyfan

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4305 posts
    Jah Bless!

Posted 08 September 2016 - 11:29 PM

I like ph of 5.6 in veg and early flower going to 5.8 in flower.

I do not believe PH is an issue here. I have no experience with Hesi nutrients but most would say to go EC of around 1. First lets rule out root issues.

Do you see the splotches on the leafs
http://www.directupl...kqpmq82_jpg.htm

This is a stages of phosphorous deficiency in leafs
http://www.growweede...-deficiency.jpg

More signs of phosphorous issue
http://www.directupl...2ys9vrh_jpg.htm
Notice the type of yellow and dying part of leaf.

you could have several things going on and very well could be low EC for the plant. When you figured your EC did you count the water EC or without it. Lets say you have a water ec .40 and your target is 1.0ec. You could add in the water .40ec water and .60 nutrients to = 1ec but most will tell you to add 1 ec to the water for a total of 1.4ec. I tend to go cautious until I know the plant and might start at .7ec plus water and work from their. I think your plant is starving but it might be better to punt if you can make new clones.

Hopefully someone with hesi experience can offer better input regarding your line. I have heard good things regarding the line.

Mapito is a unforgiving but rewarding media. I recommend watching the growpito videos posted above to give a good expectation, while the mapito may be a bit different the basic concept remains the same.

Hope this helps.

I think you are signalling on the yellow. This can be caused by many things.

Questions are stems only going red after transplant or always red.

#332 henny

Just Sprouted

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 07:24 AM

Hello and thanks again for reply
Ok your advice is to stay low in EC for the next feeding right?!
And PH range veg 5.6 and flowering 5.8 ok ;)
I cant make new clones...so i have to wait and hope the plants will recover!!

What you think about the plants can they recover in the next days/weeks?!

here a some new pics with roots and overall take a look please

http://www.directupl...tzlfo9g_jpg.htm

http://www.directupl...4mzynl3_jpg.htm

http://www.directupl...ok2lq5g_jpg.htm

http://www.directupl...gkgb79h_jpg.htm

greetz henny

#333 Hempyfan

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4305 posts
    Jah Bless!

Posted 09 September 2016 - 11:31 AM

Ok, LOW EC is a certain. I can see whole stem better in first pic.

See where it is green and goes to dark purple. This is not likely genetic as it is hungry for Phosphorous.

I would up the EC to 1EC at 5.8 range. As to help better get at the phosphorous.

PH chart for nutrient absorption for hydro and soiless medias.

https://www.thcfarme...ndex-gif.24276/

I would increase your EC 1 ec (not counting your water ec) to and see how the plant responds. Give some type of amino acids and calcium as well. Some of your hesi products probably has this. Check labels. The amino acids will help the plant uptake the calcium and work to keep up with fast nitrogen growth which you might get if get this right once the plant turns around.

I believe they are starving all things considered. Be careful to not just go crazy in raising EC. Better to do it in smaller jumps than one large one but if you last was .7EC raise it to 1EC and watch. I normally would be more cautious and raise EC in increments of .10 each feeding following as the plant shows but she is starving.

After she feeds, next day lets look at pics again and compare. You want to see better growth, the old growth will not improve in appearance. Look to see new growth begin to lose that purple.

Transplanting will help with root growth. Also pay attention to water temperature.

Some HD guys would tell you tell you to go higher EC far earlier than I did but I have seen my share of plants in mapito that does not want higher than 1 EC counting water EC. So I am far more cautious before stating to go to traditional numbers.

I believe most of HD would say to go up to 1.2 depending but I say 1 ec and watch the plant. It will respond quickly. Also add magnesium with the calcium (calmag type of product). Likely part of your calcium input already.

They will be fine and should green up nicely in future growth.

#334 henny

Just Sprouted

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 12:10 PM

I increase the EC to 1.3 included tapwater...my tapwater EC is 0.4 and PH is now 5.6 i spray it today on the plants directly just the plant not the surface.
inside is still wet.
next day i will spray it again with higher PH 5.8 ;) and same EC!
I use it canna product now the NPK is higher then Hesi products hopefully it helps.... lets wait a few days i will make new pics at monday maybe something has changed

have a nice weekend cya

#335 henny

Just Sprouted

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 06:38 AM

Good news some plants/leafs are goin back to good green color...i dont have pics now but i will post it soon..thanks again Hempy

#336 Ian

Advanced Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:Plant botany,sativa strains,listening,learning,thinking,planting,

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:17 PM

Hey guys I've just started my first Mapito grow thanks to all u guys fr your help God bless any help in my topic is very welcomed thanks guys so so much I am struggling a little thanks God bless