•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Françoise

First try on COCO, some help needed :)

Hello !

I've been growing for some years now, always in soil (Biobizz mostly, some distributor brand but good quality ..), i'm quite pleased with it, but as i made a new flowering room, and i just finished my Veg room, i've got plenty spare space .. that i'd like to fill :specool

I was looking about soil, found Esko's reciepe .. i think i'm gonna give it a try .. but i also would like to give pure coco a try.

I read different stuff about coco, using coco with flood system, with drip systems, or hand watered .. etc etc .. but i still end with a few questions :

- Do i need to feed on each watering ? (or do i just keep doing the same as with soil, 1 water 1 feed 1 water 1 feed ?)

- If i go the flood way (using a plastic tray, filling by hand, and flowing back in a bucket under the tray), do i have to flood even if the substrate is still wet ? Or should i wait for it to dry just like with soil ?

- I have some clones, i made in coco pellets, then repoted them in paper buckets (0.30L) with light mix, can i put this paper bucket in coco ? No risk to get mold in coco ?

- A friend is using Advanced Nutriments line, and he's got a product that is some soil life to add to your soil (can't remember the name, Voodoo juice or a strange name like that ..), can i use it with coco ?

Any input is welcome :specool

Thanks in advance.

Françoise

Well,

I flood every other day, not because the plants need water but to keep the ec and ph levels correct. You need good buffered cocos and feed every time you flood. Good cocos is inert, no food inside like soil.

When you catch the last few drups of drainwater everytime, you can see on what levels (ec&PH) your next flood must be.

I pre grow in mesh baskets filled with soil. I put the whole basket inside the cocos.

Good grow, GrR

Thanks Racker !

So i'll flood them tonight :specool

I use brick compressed coco coir, a french brand, Truffaut (the same as the stores, i think they are also present in other euro countries ..).

I'll keep you updated, i watered my pots with Water (ph 5.8), following GHE schedule (2.5/2.5/2.5 Flora Series), i think it's a bit light for rooted clones :specool

Anyway, if someone has already grown coco with GHE Flora Series, any advice will be apreciated :P

I've been using GHE for 3 grows, on soil, their feeding chart works well .. tho .. i don't know for sure, i always reuse my soil adding Premix to it, and some home-made worm casting .. i hope the girls won't miss anything .. growing in some inert medium is brand new for me :engel

Françoise

Calcium nitrate you need to buffer the cocos when it is not already done in the factory. Cheap coco is mostly not buffered, which will cause (among other things) calcium deficiency later on in development because the unbuffered coco will bind that and it will release Sodium. When using bricks it is a good idea to check the ec of the water you can press out of the bricks, over the years I have come across some very salty ones.

I see a lot of ebb flood with coco though gold label recommends to grow a bit more dry actually. That's why Gold Label coco already comes a bit humid, is buffered and has some added coco nutrients, trace elements and chelated Fe to give your plants a good start. You always need to water your coco with nutrients. If you soak bricks I would soak them with low ec nutrients and prevent it from getting too wet. Coco has a high water capacity and capillary action. For small plants you need air in your substrate and let the roots find the water. Ebb and flood or water to drain I would personally only do on coco with mature plants when they can almost completely use that water in a day. You can mix clay pebbles with coco for a better water retaining hydro substrate and more air. Gold Label has 60/40 HydroCoco and 80/20 HydroCoco. Which one you use depends on your style of growing and fertigation.

Nice that it's used to buffer coco. I buffer it again than i guess. The main reason i do it is to eleminate the potassium that's in the bloom nutrients. Don't want that in my little plants.

Side effect is the nitrogen that comes with it. I use the gold label cocos, and yes, in the beginning it's mutch to wet. Don,t need to water the plants the first 2 weeks (in my set-up) The plants didn't mind, thanks to the high quality cocos i guess.

gallery_2823_2265_427412.jpg

This plant i didn't water for 2 weeks

GrR

Hello :specool

Thank you very much for your inputs !

I rekon, i maybe should have searched more !

The coco bricks i have, seem to have been cleaned/bleached/steamed/cleaned again !

Thanks god, they also seem to have ph stabilised around 5.5-5.8 :specool

When you catch the last few drups of drainwater everytime, you can see on what levels (ec&PH) your next flood must be.

Good grow, GrR

So i did !

I took the last run off water, and tested it again :P

PH is ok, 5.6 .. i checked before the flood, it was on 5.7 :engel

I then checked EC, using a multimeter ( C = ) calibrated with both tap water (it gives me 0.7 .. on the water provider website they claim about 0.65 to 0.75 depending season .. so it's close enough !) and with distilled water .. (gives me around 0.1 .. and it claims to be max at 0.1 ..), so it works well :kill:

On the last few drop EC seem to be inferior to 0.1 !

It seems like all the nutes and calcium from tap water (that gives that 0.7 ec on tapwater ...) have been absorbed by the coco !

Any trick to buffer coco using .. common feeding products .. while plants are in ? (i bet not, but who knows ! ^^)

So far, the clones don't do too bad, while the 4 seedlings i put in coco, seem to come light green .. do you think i should leave them dry a little, or flood them again tomorrow to add nutriments to the coco and give some to the plants ?

I've got plenty of hydroton, i'll try to mix some to the coco next time (they also need to be buffered), but for the calcium thing (Calcium nitrate), can it be found in common shops ? even hydroshops ? Because i've been searching for it, and none seem to sell this kind of coco buffer .. :no

Thanks in advance :wub:

It's fun to try new things, but i'm often too fast, i should plan more :lol:

Françoise

Just found Canna has some buffering agent : COGr Buffering Agent :specool

Could it fit ? if my coco bricks are not already buffered ?

On the "user manual" they say to add a few on each water tank, maybe i could do it :specool (despite i haven't soaked them in this buffer agent ..)

Françoise

Thanks for your help Racker :specool

I'll try to find a reseller in europe .. :specool

To this point, the plannts have been in coco for 3 days, should i repot them in some regular ground ?

Then correctly buffer my coco, and give it a try later ?

Or can i still continue like this ? i bet i'll end with more problems than i'll figure solutions out ... :P

Françoise

Hello :o

Thanks to my new camera .. i can't take pictures !

They replaced the old fashioned 4*LR06 by some NICD battery pack .. so when you forgot to charge it .. you can't shoot any photos !

(and i got plenty LR06 left .. !)

So i took some with my cell phone, some sort of cheap shit, that makes crappy photos, i'll try to do some better tonight :o

They're not doing too bad, but compared to the one i repoted into 11L bucket with reused All-mix .. they're not doing so good :o

Françoise

337504201109291300292.jpg

403067201109291300382.jpg

298767201109291301032.jpg

334356201109291301182.jpg

The oldest leaves are turning yellow, they tell you that your plants are hungry :o The light collor green tells you the same. Your EC must be to low..

Increase your EC with some basic nutients and add some nitrogen and they will be fine.

GrR

I use Vitalink products with a twist,oxy-plus+rootexcelarator... in a 30=30=40coir/compost/growrocks(lightweight,largegrain) i find i get all the bens of hydro but the simplicity of pots. FEED=VITALINK1 TO 2ml per litre AB BABYS..............plus 2ml per litre oxy/plus........plus1/2ml per litre rootexelarator.....you up de vita as the plant gets bigger up to 5ml per litre,,same with the oxy max 3 per litre............no ph pen needed ever again,no ec reader ever again.......DISCOVERED THIS AFTER HAVING DIFFICULTYS,,,,,used as an emergency wash out but against all recommendations carrried on using it never looked backed...perfect plants every time.....now i just worry about genes......