•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

silver surfer

50W ! high tech DIY LED lamp test

Hi OPG,

I build recently a new LED lamp, dimable, 60W maxi.

Spectrum is a mixing of red leds and neutral whites leds, highly efficient emitters Philips Luxeon Rebel, with individual lenses.

I started a grow in a DR 40 mylar tent (40cm X 40cm), with 4 cuttings in soil, 2 cannalope haze pineaple cut, 2 critical mass. Nutrients are the organic range from Advanced Nutrients.

1 galon pots (4l) with 50% canna pro + and 50% plagron batmix.

The just rooted clones went directly to 12/12 under my 25W veg lamp (DIY led lamp with Osram Golden Dragon leds and Cree Leds).

Here the plants after 1 week of 12/12

gallery_3562_2436_182477.jpg

gallery_3562_2436_215892.jpg

And today under the new flowering LED lamp:

gallery_3562_2436_242131.jpg

gallery_3562_2436_214290.jpg

the lamp actually dimmed to 45W at 500mA (driver and fans included)

gallery_3562_2436_259181.jpg

gallery_3562_2436_257550.jpg

Many led grow light builders use blue leds, but I choosed to use only white and red ones, may be i'm wrong, we will see :o

Let's see what highly efficient leds with a 2000K-2500K spectrum can do in a small tent.

I would love to make a scrog but i can't wait, these strains are heavy producers, wait and see :o

• Like 1

Hallo SilverSurfer,nice setup ,nice strains also :smoke

wish you a good run i´m already pulled a chair :)

Thanks Ledm8, i wish you the best too! :)

Hallo Saxo, yes these strains are nice, especially the cannalope haze pineapple pheno, probably the best smelling and tasting plant i've ever grown! These cuttings are very hard to root but It's worth it!

The critical + cuttings were given to me by a friend, i didn't smoke it, but they are heavy producers and they are very interesting for a lamp test. These little plants are very very nice, the leafs are very nice shaped, with a shiny green.

Hey SixxWhunNyne,

yes there is blue wavelength (440nm peak) in the neutral white spectrum, here is the spectrum:

gallery_3562_2436_67640.jpg

This blue peak is very good for thrichomes production (it works like UV to boost the THC content, blue 440nm is a very energetic wavelength), and it works too for photosynthesis. There is much more blue in the my lamp spectrum than in HPS, but less than in most commercial LED lamps designed for both veg and flowering. This lamp is designed especially for flowering, i don't need a veg/flower led lamp, the efficiency will be better with a special lamp for veg and another lamp for flowering, with special spectrums.

And with the 4 red LEDs /each spot, there is a lot more 610-670nm (red wavelength) than in HPS spectrum, the ganja plant loves it for flowering and they are lacking in HPS.

The neutral 4100K rebel ES spectrum has green:

recently the scientist found that green is used by plants when irradiation level is high, that's why I used 70° lenses, to increase the irradiation level localy. And green is nice for the CRI (color rendering index). With this lamp I can "read" my plant without taking the plants out the tent, as with other commercial led lamps, here they look like they were under the autumn sun.

There is a lot of yellow, and orange in this spectrum too, as in hps spectrum wich are good for flowering.

This spectrum will give red too, and a little far red (wich is very good for flowering too).

So this spectrum is very rich, all the usefull wavelength are covered, and the global color temperature is warmwhite, with a good efficiency, and we all know that warmwhite is the best for bud production.

Actually the lamp is at 15cm from the plants (6"), this is enough to cover the totality of the 40x40 area.

At 15cm I measured 13000 lumens with my luxmeter just under a spot, not bad !, but red 660nm can't be measured with a luxmeter and the ratio of 660nm is 12/28 leds of the lamp, so irradiation level is high and I think much better than with 55W 830 PLL tubes at the same distance.

4 spots, 4 plants...

All this is theory, we will see in practice, they are just starting to bud now.

Pics:

gallery_3562_2436_154317.jpg

gallery_3562_2436_224853.jpg

gallery_3562_2436_72360.jpg

gallery_3562_2436_96582.jpg

gallery_3562_2436_258425.jpg

gallery_3562_2436_18498.jpg

Hey Maverick,

yes, it should be... :rolleyes:

Update: 1 week under the new light, one week of blooming

the tent:

gallery_3562_2467_306336.jpg

gallery_3562_2467_82214.jpg

gallery_3562_2467_112784.jpg

gallery_3562_2467_60926.jpg

Critical 1:

gallery_3562_2467_170981.jpg

gallery_3562_2467_162736.jpg

gallery_3562_2467_292621.jpg

gallery_3562_2467_12675.jpg

Critical 2:

gallery_3562_2467_924.jpg

gallery_3562_2467_147440.jpg

gallery_3562_2467_3399.jpg

Cannalope haze 1:

gallery_3562_2467_2647.jpg

gallery_3562_2467_125295.jpg

Cannalope haze 2:

gallery_3562_2467_197735.jpg

gallery_3562_2467_159775.jpg

gallery_3562_2467_89356.jpg

Yesterday I dimmed the current to 600mA, power is almost 50W, fans included.

It's possible to go to 700mA, 55W maxi, the heatsinks are very cold, so leds efficiency and lifetime will stay very good. The exhaust fan of the tent, a 12cm 12V fan, 0,72A (8,6W) is very powerfull, so it cools the lamp too.

The little plants started to bud nicely, unfortunately this is impossible to LST them, the tent is too small for the 4 plants. Next grow will be with 1 "big" :rolleyes: LSTed or Scrogged plant, probably a Cannalope.

But this way of growing is interesting, with SOG I can see the real penetration of the lamp, and with the "one bud style" Critical + I will see how big a single bud could be.

The lamp height is 16 cm from the tops, more than 200000lux (20000 lm) at 700mA at 16cm under one spot.

Feeding is:

1,5ml/l iguana bloom

1ml/l F1 fulvic

1ml/l H2 humic

2ml/l sensizym

2ml/l B52

0,5 ml/l sensical

RO water

1 liter every 3-4 days for the 4 plants, 250ml each

I stopped piranha, tarantula and voodo juice, they are well rooted now.

I'm very excited with this grow, can't wait to see the final result. The first trichomes are coming on the cannalopes, this pheno is very very resinous, this is a 9 weeks pheno, with a beautifull, delicious mango/pineapple/melon smell, just a little spicy, but a lot more fruity than spicy.

Intriging.

Looking very similar to the Philips Greenpower lighting productioin modules.

Are they the same LED...drivers ?

Grtz from The Hill :rolleyes:

Hey HillCrest,

No, this lamp is a DIY lamp, the LEDs are Philips Luxeon Rebel and Rebel ES.

The 7 LEDs engines are custom engines, I ordered the leds seperately and a sent them to a specialized company for the reflow assembly to MR16 boards.

Each engine has a mix of 3 different LEDs, neutral white, red 630nm and ed 660nm.

The GreenPower LED modules HF are only single color modules, deep red, far red or blue.

The driver is a 50W Inventronics dimmable driver, with a 20KOhm dimmer. The cooling is made with black anodized heatsinks + Sunon 40x20mm fans.

So the only things from Phillips in this lamp are the LEDs. The Hey HillCrest,

No, this lamp is a DIY lamp, the LEDs are Philips Luxeon Rebel and Rebel ES.

The 7 LEDs engines are custom engines, I ordered the leds seperately and a sent them to a specialized company for the reflow assembly to MR16 boards.

Each engine has a mix of 3 different LEDs, neutral white, red 630nm and ed 660nm.

The GreenPower LED modules HF are only single color modules, deep red, far red or blue.

The driver is a 50W inventronics dimmable driver, with a 20KOhm dimmer. The cooling is made with black anodized heatsinks + Sunon 40x20mm fans.

So the only things from Phillips in this lamp are the LEDs. The GreenPower modules are very different from this lamp.

GreenPower LED module HF:

gallery_3562_2467_283.jpg

Just the once was fine :rolleyes:

Great I've just burn't my brain out reading up on plasma over the past 24Hrs.

Really interested in LED for a possible upgrade to my cloning/prop area and losing my T5.

I have a feeling I'll be reading awhile longer than I was for the plasma so think I'll hang fire awhile till I'm 100% happy with the flower area.

Have to say .... nice light :rolleyes:

Just out of curiousity.... How much did it cost you to put that system together ?

Grtz from The Hill :rolleyes:

Hey HillCrest,

thanks! The cost was big, 300€ for a 50W lamp.

But:

-it is customized and this is totally impossible to buy such a lamp anywhere

-it is very reliable, the driver is totally protected, works at full charge so the efficiency of the driver is 90%

-very long lifetime, more than 50000 hours (11 years of 12/12)

-this is very easy to change the 4 LED engines when better LEDs will be available

-this is experimentation :rolleyes:

-a manufactured LED lamp with efficient Cree LEDs costs 240€ for 45W so this is almost the same cost, and i'm not sold with the spectrum they are using, even if this lamp works, and it could not work in a square tent, they have 3 spots on a line and the heatsink length is 50cm.

Really interested in LED for a possible upgrade to my cloning/prop area and losing my T5.

So you mean a led lamp only for veg? DIY lamp?

What is the size of your grow area?

This is easy to make a good DIY led lamp for a small veg area, it works very well. 50-60W for a 4 sq ft tent is enough, and you can dimm the light when seedlings or cuttings are small, you don't even need lenses so the price of the lamp decreases. You don't need fans too, passive cooling, no noise, big lifetime.

I am interested in LED for vegging aswell. I am using T5 currently, but I am about ready to do a little experimentation.

Also saving on my K/Wh is a high priority, more than initial cost actually. So if I could save some in my mother and verge it would be much appreciated.

I use a 80x80cm mother room, I use 96-144watt T5 with good results. Would it be possible to lower that to less than 75watt ?

Satyr

hey Satyr,

for vegging with LEDs, you need 120W/m².

For rooting clones you need only half of that, and for mother maintenance 100W/m².

So for vegging this is 75W in your 0,64 grow space for vegging.

The interesting thing with leds is that they can be dimmed.

But a DIY for 0,64m² will have a cost, you need at least 32x 1W coolwhite leds and 32x 1W red 630 leds at least.

Making a DIY for 0,64m² willbe a big project. But I'm sure that such lamps will be available on the market soon.

greetz

12/12 +25 days, 17 days under the flowering lamp

gallery_3562_2496_218004.jpg

gallery_3562_2496_1699.jpg

cannalope 1:

gallery_3562_2496_112162.jpg

gallery_3562_2496_30265.jpg

gallery_3562_2496_21402.jpg

cannalope 2:

gallery_3562_2496_98930.jpg

gallery_3562_2496_145656.jpg

critical + 1:

gallery_3562_2496_7050.jpg

gallery_3562_2496_191361.jpg

gallery_3562_2496_236884.jpg

critical + 2:

gallery_3562_2496_196895.jpg

gallery_3562_2496_72617.jpg

gallery_3562_2496_32850.jpg

gallery_3562_2496_111.jpg

The temperature in the grow tent is a bit low, 18-19°C, but they are budding well. Now i'm sure that this spectrum is good, with a scrogged plant i'm almost sure that this is possible to go over the g/W. I will try it for the next grow.

I will start to veg and LST a big plant now.

Now the lamp is at full power, 55W (50W of leds + 5W of fans), current at 680mA and the heatsink are very cold to the touch. ;)

When i put my hand under one spot I can feel the heat of the infra reds, the neutral whites leds are doing their job.

Resin production is very nice on both strains :bier . The critical smell is very very intense and fruity.

The cannalope haze pineapple phéno is amazing, I'm totally in love with this plant. ;)

34 days of 12/12, still growing :yummy:

can't find how to post a pic here with the new forum, in my gallery there is no URL with the pic as it was before, I just found the "my media" solution,... if someone could help...

pics:

Box

4 plantes 2

4 plantes

C 1 A

C 1 B

C 1 C

C 2 A

C 2 B

C 2 C

CH1 A

CH1 B

CH2 A

CH2 B

CH2 C

Heya,

The critical +1 and +2 u show in your pevious update.

The yellow parts in those top are not normal at all.

Keep a good eye on them, i am affraid this is a hermie problem.

Globally the healthy is ok for a led grow.

Good luck

Grdz e$ko,

heya E$ko,

Yes I have seen this yellow parts, I know them, I don't think this is an hermie problem (I hope).

I have seen the same thing on el monster buds grown under very high irradiance, here these main buds are just under one spot, at 8" and irradiance is very high. I think this is only young buds.

When i read your post I tooked the plants out of the tent for a carrefully check with a magnifier and I haven't seen any banana on these two plants, they are 10 days older now and there are no bananas. When i zoom on these parts i just see small and tight yellow/greeny female pistils.

U are dedicated, that was a fast check.

I didnt ment to create panic, but better be sure offcourse.

U are doing a great grow under LED,

Normally i see the growing phase go very good, but the flowering phase is another thing ...

Keep it up

Grdz e$ko,

thanks E$ko,

This is not my first grow with leds. This is my 5th prototype of DIY leds lamp, and the second one for flowering.

For veg this is a fact that led are awesome, I will never use my old T5, PLL or MH lamps again (in small setups). For blooming it works as good as HPS or better.

I was flowering under led lamps (manufactured ones) for one year, in bigger setups and I was never disappointed with these lamps (but they are some of the bests actually on the market).

here my last grow in 1m² with 350W under leds, cannalope haze, third dimension, NYCDxJilly Bean and Deep purple. Third dimension and Deep purple are light yielders but yield will be around the g/W.

JUNGLE

wow that is gonna be some frosty stash when its finished!!

looking good man!!! all the best!

greetings