•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

silver surfer

50W ! high tech DIY LED lamp test

the scrog today at 43 days of 12/12

gallery_3562_2741_181507.jpg

an healthy cannalope haze bud

gallery_3562_2741_203119.jpg

The Kolossus tent, 70W of leds, 40x40cm tent, day 43 of bloom

gallery_3562_2741_176446.jpggallery_3562_2741_348.jpggallery_3562_2741_53747.jpggallery_3562_2741_229511.jpggallery_3562_2741_9917.jpggallery_3562_2741_80027.jpggallery_3562_2741_221512.jpggallery_3562_2741_220295.jpg

a little bit overfed, leaf tips are starting to burn, i will lower the nutes, but she eats a lot, I tried to know how much she could eat.

I water her with 0,8l every two days with 0,5ml F1, 0,5ml H2, 1ml of iguana bloom (will be enough, i raised to 1,5ml every two days!)

Probably still 4-5 weeks to go (this is a plant from seed), maybe more. She is well named, a robust plant, take a look at the main stem.

that leaf issue: if it is just one plant I doubt that it is a fungus. It is more likely to be a calcium deficiency that is caused by low transpiration under LED. I have seen that before. High phosphorus levels can also cause or help cause calcium deficiencies. It won't heal but you can stop it with a calcium nitrate of chlorate spray once in a while or some extra calcium chelates in your nutrients. Don't overdo it in your soil, that will create all kinds of lock-outs. Spraying is in my opinion the easiest and safest way.

Hola Whazzup, I'm glad to read you here

Yes I know the low transpiration issues with LEDs, knna told me about this when I build my first DIY lamps.

-Temperature of the leafs here is around 23-24°C so perspiration is good. Such issues will appear with much lower temperatures.

-There is enough blue and IR in the neutral white leds spectrum, and these wavelengths are increasing leafs temperature for a good perspiration.

-I use RO water with sensical (as I do with an HPS grow, 0,5ml of sensical/l of water), (but the plants can't eat it well...)

-Have you seen the first grow in this topic? 2 criticals and 2 cannalopes, and i had no issues, plant were healthy till the end, it was exactly the same phenos and the same led spectrum. The only thing that is changing in this second grow is the soil of the 3 critical plants, 3cm of clay peebles at the bottom and another soil mix, probably plagron batmix, wich is very high EC soil.

The Critical plants will be harvested in 10 days, so this is to late to use a Ca spray, but thanks for the tip.

If I have this issue again for a next grow I will do that.

But i will never trust someone else's soil again :)

Another thing:

My Advanced nutrients bottles are one year old, they were stored in a cool place but maybe some are too old and the nutrients are bad quality now.

The kolossus is yellowing a bit, and this is not because she is fed to low.

My other plant the big cannalope haze in the 60² tent is yellowing too and some fan leaves are turning to purple (but temperature is always 24°C at day and 18-19°C at night) (see my other thread "another experience with cannalope haze").

I know this range of nutrients very well and i always use it with canna pro plus or canna bioterra since 2 years. The plants are always healthy. But now i think this is time to buy new bottles.

Question: I have pure Fulvic (F1) and pure humic (H2) bottles, I think that the lifetime of fulvic and humic can be high, what do you think about that? is it necessary to change F1 and H2 after one year?

For iguana bloom, sensizym, bud candy and B52 I'm sure this is better to buy new bottles.

8 weeks of bloom, 56 days of 12/12, harvest day

the problem with criticals was never fixed, my friend told me that the issue is coming from the clay peebles at the bottom of the pots, he removed them with some plant, and kept them with other plants, all the plant who kept the clay peebles had issues, the other ones are staying very healthy. That's what I thought.

But the harvest is still nice, I expect 40-50g, with only 60W, not bad at all.

pics:

gallery_3562_2795_126138.jpg

gallery_3562_2795_261183.jpg

the cannalope haze alone

gallery_3562_2795_166626.jpg

a cannalope bud

gallery_3562_2795_225242.jpg

C+ buds

gallery_3562_2795_56521.jpg

gallery_3562_2795_228275.jpg

gallery_3562_2795_170833.jpg

News from the Kolossus, under 75W lamp, 5 engines of 7 leds

this is impossible to keep the dark green color of the leafs, I think this is the same issue as with the big cannalope in the 60² tent (see my other thread), my nutes bottles are too old, very probably. But she is still healthy and buds are going to be ripe, I will harvest her next week, I have to move, sh will be harvestable, even if she could go another week.

The smell is hashy with some spices, a bit hazy, a soft smell, not fruity at all, not lemony.

gallery_3562_2796_130173.jpg

gallery_3562_2796_259479.jpg

gallery_3562_2796_118375.jpggallery_3562_2796_46838.jpggallery_3562_2796_1565.jpg

gallery_3562_2796_139538.jpg

High Silver Surfer,

Nice job despite the leaf issue still very nice buds u got there!!!

Those Kollossus reminds me of cheerleader pompom's :D So hairy!

How long do you have to go with her?

Greetings!

Hi Lexn,

yes this Kolossus is an hairy lady :D ! but she have buds everywhere, definitely a big yielder plant.

I can't wait to smoke her.

I think she could go another couple of weeks, but i have to move from home, so I will harvest her next week, at 9 weeks. So a cutting could be ready at 8-9 weeks (fortunately i kept a mother from this plant).

the smell is a bit unusual but nice (i can't wait for the curing to see how the smell will turn), sugary, hearthy, a bit spicy/hazy, hashy, a soft smell, no need for a carbon filter. Buds looks like they will be hard as rock and heavy, and easy to trim. Resin production is average, the leafs are not coated with resin compared to my cannalope.

Don't know how the potency will be, but anyway it will be a nice daytime smoke if the high is soft.

The scrog yield is 24g of C+ and 12g of cannalope, so a total 36g of dry manucured buds + extra frosty small leafs for the pollinator. My first harvest with this lamp was 40g, and now 36g with unealthy plants in scrog.

A scrog with healthy plants could give 50g, so 50g/60W= 0,83g/W

Lady Kolossus at 9 weeks, will be harvested soon...

gallery_3562_2817_19819.jpg

gallery_3562_2817_205886.jpg

gallery_3562_2817_105702.jpgvgallery_3562_2817_94716.jpgegallery_3562_2817_194323.jpgrgallery_3562_2817_89140.jpgygallery_3562_2817_131379.jpg pleased with this plant, nice job Sannie! her smell is more intense now

can't wait to smoke it !

Helluva job with that low wattage. Give you a couple of years, and you'll be scroggin' it up using candles! (with bonus CO2!)

Nice work Silver surfer, do you think harvested more than 1g/w is possible ?

I have seen people telling they harvest more than 1,2g/w ???

Good luck for the end of the blooming dude. :wave:

Helluva job with that low wattage. Give you a couple of years, and you'll be scroggin' it up using candles! (with bonus CO2!)

hi Wrecks, yes it will be very exiting to reduce power more and more

another thing i would like to try one day is to supply the leds with a solar pannel, easy to do with a small setup

yes I will try CO2, i never tried it, and i don't know how to manage it but i will study this question

greetz

Nice work Silver surfer, do you think harvested more than 1g/w is possible ?

I have seen people telling they harvest more than 1,2g/w ???

Good luck for the end of the blooming dude. :wave:

Hey Hiwatt,

harvest more than 1g/W with this kolossus? no i don't think so. I think she will give about 50g (this lamp has a ~72W power consumption, crruent is not as high as with the 60W/4 spots lamp), but i don't know, i will see soon (the yield won't be more than 50g, anyway, or i will be very surprised, but this is related to bud density).

but with this setup yes, this is possible to match the g/W. Temps was low during this grow, 18-19°.

When the temperature will rise a bit in my room the harvest will be higher (better CO2 uptake, 24°C would be perfect).

This plant had an issue from the start. I used an old soil (6-8 months canna bioterra) in a 4l pot for the early stage of the plant and she wasn't healthy. She recovered when i re-poted her in a 9l pot with new soil. But she was a little overfed too (see burned tips). With perfect temperature, soil, nutes... i'm pretty sure i could match the g/W easily with a good kolossus phéno, scrogged or strongly lsted. I will probably try that in the next months.

temperature was 18-19 the day and 17-18 at night, a 8-10 degrees of temp difference is better imho.

This kolossus is not easy to LST! her main stem is very very strong and huge, i could use steel wires to LST her. Kolossus is the right name for this strain!!! well choosed name! :)

Greetz

yes this is possible, but there are many different led pannels, ~1,5g/W is possible with some pannels actually

my led pannels have their limits, wich i don't know actually (myself i have a limit about MJ growing :D )

yesterday i made some hash (pollinator) with the small critical + leafs, pressed by hand, 2,15 g of blend pollen + 0,15g of top quality 00

gallery_3562_2795_251561.jpg

gallery_3562_2795_23145.jpg

End of the road for the Kolossus, 68 days, I will harvest her today :dribble:

pics of the beauty:

gallery_3562_2833_125840.jpg

gallery_3562_2833_80324.jpg

gallery_3562_2833_193712.jpggallery_3562_2833_85459.jpggallery_3562_2833_7609.jpggallery_3562_2833_86071.jpggallery_3562_2833_117142.jpggallery_3562_2833_252193.jpggallery_3562_2833_63366.jpg

her smell is much stronger now, very sweet and appealing

I stopped the nutes too early, but i'm pleased with the results

Much success! :)

I've been wondering if yellow leaves right at the end might actually be desireable, considering that a large part of the slow drying / curing process

is to take away that green chlorophyl taste.

Hey Wrecks,

it's a very good question. Probably I started to stop the nutes to early with this plant. But I don't know this strain and this pheno in particular so I did my best. Last watering with nutes was 15 days ago at least, and it was very light fed.

And 15 days ago her leafs were allready yellowing.

So may be the yield could be a little better with more nutes, and may be the ripening process could be a little faster.

But this is sure that the curing process will be shorter.

I don't know what is the best way to go with organic nutes. It seems to me that E$ko wrote somewhere "do you want to harvest healthy plants?" or something like that, and that he prefers to harvest a green plant, but I'm not sure anymore, my memory fails sometimes :whistle:

I would love to know experts point of view about that.

...anyway this will be quality smoke :dribble:

I got a few things, first where do you get your lenses and second, have you thought about using the LXH7-PW40 4000k white. It seems similar to what your using but has a little more uv near 350nm.

Nice LED grow! hell of a job with the DIY lamps too. Id love to make some for side lighting in my tent.

Hey all,

finally I harested 48g of dried Kolossus buds. Very nice smoke!

I didn't expect such a yield, buds are heavy so this is 48g/70W, 0,69g/W.

gallery_3562_2833_222839.jpg

gallery_3562_2833_93709.jpg

This is possible to make a better harvest with this lamp, with a SCROG. But I'm pleased with this first result with the 35leds flowering lamp.

Last week I build a new lamp, for veg, 45W at max power (700mA), 5 spots of 5 leds (2reds 660nm, 1 coolwhite, 1 royal blue, Luxeon rebel leds, all are the most efficient Rebel emitters that I found).

I got a few things, first where do you get your lenses and second, have you thought about using the LXH7-PW40 4000k white. It seems similar to what your using but has a little more uv near 350nm.

hi hardtofathom,

I used two type of lenses. For the first leds theyr are single led lenses 68°. I don't know what brand they are. The company who make the reflow soldering selled them to me, but they don't want to tell where they bought them. Anyway this is not possible to mont these lenses by hand.

For the second lamp (70W), i used 7 leds lenses from Ledil (C11254_RER-7-WW-PC) +/-29°, designed for MR16 7 rebels leds.

This solution is cheaper but the wider angle I've found is 54°, a bit to narrow, but it works.

The LXH7-PW40 has a lower efficiency than the LXML-PWN2 (205lm/W @700mA VS 230lm/W@700mA). Between efficiency and spectrum I will always choose efficiency.

And UV is not very usefull for our plant. It only make a little more THC (maybe), but blue makes the same thing.

emmmmm those buds look swell mate!

hi Blue B,

yes they are, this Kolossus is a very nice smoke. One friend grows another pheno and the smoke is very strong, so strong that he is very carefull when he rolls a joint of it. This a tasty smoke as well. Nice job Sannie! congrats!

Nice LED grow! hell of a job with the DIY lamps too. Id love to make some for side lighting in my tent.

Hi Dreadly,

thanks bro,

just do it, just ask if you need some help.

Greetings all.

Thanks for sharing your results,

Silver Surfer. :)

As usual, I am following your grow.

in addition to your zeal, I appreciate

your controlled experiments. LED

cannot be beaten for the increase in

aroma and quality of trich development.

Continue to represent well my friend,

Chupa

hey Chupa,

thanks bro, I agree with you, bud quality is awesome with leds.

I started a new grow 12 days ago. All plants from seeds.

The first ones i sprouted were a personnal cross, Cannalope haze melon/pineaple pheno with a nice Deep Purple male from subcool. So this is a Sativa x Indica cross, it wont probably be stable, but maybe i willfind nice phenos. This cannalope and the deep purple are my personnal favorite smokes so I tried a cross, it could be a funny cross, maybe i will find a keeper.

One week ago i started 2 holy grail OG Kush from DNA, feminised and 2 C99 from female seeds, and one DJ short blueberry.

It wasn't enough so i decided to start two Amnesia X G13haze from E$ko, they are the youngest of the tent.

The lamp is my old DIY 60x60 led pannel without the 660nm channel.

There is one channel with 16 cree XPG neutral R4 and 12 KNOVA 635nm and another channel with 9 osram golden dragon plus 455nm and 24 KNOVAS 635 from Dominant semi. Both channel are at 500mA, total power is 80W, the tent is 2'x2' (60cm x 60cm).

80W is more than enough for veg, I could go with 40W but I like a "more than enough light" way of growing.

The young ladies are enjoying the light, temp is 23-24°C, hygro is 50%, a bit low but this not possible to increase it easily.

Pics:

gallery_3562_2890_42646.jpg

gallery_3562_2890_54064.jpg

gallery_3562_2890_220439.jpg

the cannalopes:

gallery_3562_2890_221836.jpg

DJ Short blueberry: I hope it will be a female, if not I will keep the pollen

gallery_3562_2890_6649.jpg

the family:

gallery_3562_2890_85914.jpg

the 2 Amnesias x G13Haze:

gallery_3562_2890_235674.jpg

some of these plants will flower under my two DIY led lamps, the 54W 4 spots and the 70W 5 spots in two 40x40 tents, the other plants under a 250HPS plantastar with a lumatek in the 60² tent

High Silver Surfer,

You just keep on surfing I see :) Surfing your way to some fine buds!!

All the best mate! will be peeping in sometimes.

Greetings!

Silver Surfer, what did you decide was your best wavelength LEDs mixture of light? The 4000K Neutral White LEDs and the Red 630nm/660nm? What was the ratio between the 3 colors you found work best? I'm thinking of doing a LEDs build project. I can't decide if I want to use only red and blue leds or if I should mix in a white led like you have. I though maybe to use a 2700k White Led to increase the orange/red 630nm without having to use a seperate 630nm led, just 2700k whites and 660nm red at a 50/50 mix. The 4000K neutral white has more of a 440nm blue wavelength where as the 2700k white has a 460nm blue wavelength. I've thought about mixing the 660nm reds, the 2700k whites and the 4000k whites together to get the best of both blue wavelengths and still have all the rest of the white spectrum while boosting the deep red area. What do you think? Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for all the help!

hey Blueb,

If you can find very efficient warm white leds, this is a very good idea to mix them at 50/50 with 660nm.

Using only red and blue is not enough for cannabis flowering. For veg it will work very nicely, but not for bloom phase.

Keep in mind that the spectrum is related to the strain you are growing. Indicas prefers a more reddish spectrum. Sativas needs more blue light, to avoid streching. Some plant prefers 630nm, others are reacting better to 660nm. So this is not simple.

Use very efficient leds, the more photons, the better results.

Silver Surfer,

Could you please post a photo of your new veg fixture with the 2 x 660nm, 1 x cool white, 1 royal blue leds? I'm interested in seeing the color of the overall spectrum.

I really appreciate your thread! Thank you so much for sharing. More updates!

I'm getting ready to build my fixture soon. I have my heatsink and drivers. The warm white leds are out of stock, so I have to wait for them. My plan is to use 12 x 660nm, 5 warm white, 4 blue 460nm leds.

I am really going back and forth about the leds. I can't decide if I should use only neutral white and 660nm deep red at 50/50 mix, OR use my original idea with the 12, 5, 4.

I guess I'm thinking that the 5 warm white idea is not enough leds to give enough yellow/orange light to the 12red/4blue mixture. It also seems like the spectrum might be a bit "blue heavy" overall for flowering, but may work great for vegging. It also seems like 12 x 660nm might be way too much deep red.

So that's why I'm thinking of just using 50/50 Neutral white/660nm Deep Red, kind of like what you did on page 1, but without the added 630nm single led. The white leds I will use have quite a bit more 630nm wavelength than yours so that's why I don't think the added pure 630nm led is necessary.

BUT, at the same time, I still think it would be ok to add a blue 460nm in there like you suggested. This is where the problem occurs.

My drivers can only handle up to 9 white leds. Or it can handle a combination of white and blue leds and add up to 9 because the white and blue leds use the same forward voltage.

I'm using 2 identical drivers. I can run 12 Deep Red 660nm leds off of one driver. I can only run 9 white(or white/blue) with the other driver.

I would like to run the drivers at max voltage, but it's not necessary which is what I'm guessing you will say. :)

So, if I don't run the max voltage on the drivers, could you give me a suggestion on how many blue 460nm, warm white(or neutral white), and deep red 660nm I should run altogether?

My reasoning behind the 4 blue, 5 warm white, and 12 deep reds was just to be able to use the drivers to their fullest potential. I have no problem turning the voltage down however. So this opens up more possiblilities in order to balance the spectrum correctly.

I can buy a new driver that can be connected to a dimmer so I could dim the 12 x deep red 660nm as well. Then I could really boost up the 660nm towards the middle part of flowering. The number of each color leds is what I'm having trouble with.

It really seems that the warm white or neutral white will be the "main" part of the spectrum. But, at the same time I was thinking of using the red/blue combination as the "main part of the spectrum where the warm white leds would add as suppliment for added green, yellow, orange wavelength.

This may seem a bit confusing, but I hope you can understand the message I'm trying to convey and the questions I'm asking. The thing is, I've seen some really nice grows done all the way through flowering using only blue 460nm and red 660nm leds at a ratio of 1:5 blue to red ratio.

Basically in my original design I would do 1:3 blue to red ratio and then add the warm white as supplement. I know you will disagree with this, but that is ok. I can link you to the guy who had good growth with the red/blue only spectrum. He also said that the spectrum would only work for 1 of his strains. For another strain it would not work because the plants did not grow quite right.

Personally I'm finding that my Sativa dominant strains are doing better under a more blue/red only spectrum which is slightly blue heavier. My Indica's are not finishing the flowering process under this light spectrum. They are in need of more yellow/orange/red type of wavelength.

I would like to try and make my light adjustable to accomodate Sativa or Indica, but it may not be possible.