•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
ryno

1000w light fixture

I was wondering with a 4x8 growing area what kind of reflector should i use? i see large hoods with cooler holes, regular old batwing style, parabolic, then theres the adjustable bat wings and econo wings. Lets just say for my 4x8 room what reflectors are gonna get the most light scattered around my tent, and add which bulbs youd use im thinking i should get dual arc. Im not gonna say money is no issue so dont go nuts just wanna get close to the best for less that 600$ including bulb

Have you consided maybe using 2 x Gavita Pro 600 (with green power 400V bulb), might get a better spread than say with 1x 1000W in a room with those dimensions.

Or a cheaper option and allows dimming...... 2 x Gavita digistar 600 complete with reflector and again the Greenpower bulb (240V this time)

Can't praise the Gavita 1000DE enough though.

Grtz from The Hill :rolleyes:

I agee with Hillcrest, 2x600's would be better, thats what i have got for a similar area. It would be one light per 4 x 4.

Good luck

DOH! i didnt say id be using 2 lights!! and the cap for each light would be 5-600$ my fault so you think 2x 600w would be better than 2 1k?

edit

I like the gavita alot but i need to see what the store near me will have in stock as right now they have only 240v and i would like to keep 120v the salesman says they are getting some 120/240 gavita lights in.

You'd be better with 2 x 1000W yes, but overkill I'd say. If you can deal with he heat from 2x1000W and can get a nice distance of plant to bulb then go for it.

I'm sure alot would recommend 2 x 600W though.

@Hill thanks im pretty sure i can deal with the heat of 2 1k's but thats about 400w overkill according to a calculator i found... i wonder if 3 600's would be more heat than 2 1kw?

@Hill thanks im pretty sure i can deal with the heat of 2 1k's but thats about 400w overkill according to a calculator i found... i wonder if 3 600's would be more heat than 2 1kw?

Get whazzup in here im sure he'd say 2 x 1000W fine, he likes overlap.

3 x 600W is pointles,s as 2 would cover the area, only reason to go 1000W's is penetration and adding more 600's doesnt increase penetration.

It's more the Radiation from the light, than heat. Recommended distance of bulb to plant is 16" plus. Not talking ventilation but hieght allowance.

Hmm light calculator !!! like to see that.... so does this calculator factor in which reflector.... which bulb... etc etc. erm...NO pretty sure it doesnt and that can make a world of difference :rolleyes:

PS. You wanted close to the best..... Gavita 1000DE IS the best. IMO

I would go with 2-1,000 watt bare bulb verticals. I'm not that much of a believer in the reflectors. Take a look at Indicans grow. He also uses bare bulb. I don't know what the temperatures are on the 600 but I bet you find that it isn't that much more than the 1,000.

Bit hard to do a vertical with the DE.

I upgraded from the 600 to the 1000DE and the overall temp isn't that much greater at all.

grtz from The Hill :rolleyes:

Bit hard to do a vertical with the DE.

I upgraded from the 600 to the 1000DE and the overall temp isn't that much greater at all.

grtz from The Hill :rolleyes:

I don't see any place where he says he has a DE. So far it appears you are the only one mentioning a DE. In fact the way I read it he has not purchased anything yet.

A 1,000 vertical is a quiet common lamp in the US. In fact the most common 1,000 here can be used both horizontal and vertical.

I don't see any place where he says he has a DE. So far it appears you are the only one mentioning a DE. In fact the way I read it he has not purchased anything yet.

In Ryno's first post he raises.. 'dual arch' which I misread as DOUBLE END (de)

And yes I was the one to raise DE and sing it's praises.

A little defensive arn't we ?

In Ryno's first post he raises.. 'dual arch' which I misread as DOUBLE END (de)

And yes I was the one to raise DE and sing it's praises.

A little defensive arn't we ?

You can call it defensive if you want to Hillcrest. I personally call it being accurate. I am not here to sell Gavita or any other brand of product. But I am here to give advice and not read something into the original post that was not there. If I have to be defensive to make it accurate so be it.

What you were telling him is true, but it wasn't what he was asking about.

Ok didnt want to raise an argument heres a link to the calculator i used. http://www.thcfarmer.com/forums/growfaq/growfaq/1745.htm

Im sure this is just a rough estimate but its a cool little tool.

It seems im gonna use 2x 1kw bulbs with reflectors im doing SOG style so id like to fill up the whole floor.

Thanks for all your input and i think im gonna just use the bat wings and maybe add super spreaders.

Im building my own 8x4 grow area with pvc and orca plastic my entire setup is DIY including the cloner i made. On the front will be like 2 barn doors with a sheet over the doors and velcro all the way around so i can open one door or both if i want and still keep it light tight in the dark.

I have 99% of the details worked out I really want the gavita lighting but i talked to the salesman again today and he said itll be months before they get 120v gavitas.... :rolleyes:

@indican ive seen your grows i like them alot and i know you get good results from your method, its just that it feels safer for me to do it this way since i have children and i dont want a barebulb just hanging around and i also want it SOG style and i dont think bare bulb would work with a floor full of plants.

Oh and the bulbs i was thinking of using for flower at least were ushio dual arc i guess it gives a better spectrum? Kinda pricey tho.

good luck with your new room Ryno :rolleyes:

The Gavita Pro-line will never be available as a 120V ballast. The Humboldt MicroMole is available as a 120V version, and so is the Canadian Gavita DigiStar (distributed by Rambridge). Those work at very high frequencies too.

I think HillCrest is infected with the Gavita virus - I know, it is contagious. Though I recently found out that I know hillcrest in second degree through the shop salesman who sold him the fixture I must repeat: Gavita is not sponsoring him (yet) :rolleyes:. Don't stare in the light too long mate, it's blinding :rolleyes:

I would have gone for two good 600W fixtures on that surface though, you were right about that HillCrest. I can't comment much on vertical lamps, interlighting (lamps between the plants) is used in greenhouses (as additional lights between the crops), but seldom in climate rooms and seldom indoor in Europe. We all use reflectors.

but an experienced grower can use more light (sannie 1000W on that surface for example)....

Good choice Ryno. I grow same style mostly, also using AAW's, speaking of which, don't buy or use the "super-spreader", they suck and just moves the light and heat out from the center. If you have temp/height issue, then make sure you have lots of ventilation above the reflectors, not below.

What makes me fall in love with the 1000DE is the possibility of adjusting the output. I like to use different amounts of watts in different phases of the flowering. I would like to be able to boost them to 1000watts week 4-5-6

@Whazzup what is the recommended surface for a 1000DE, the one where you can change the Miro reflection, for reasonable money, 150x150cm ?

Satyr

go 1000 watters for pure buds. the other adjustables and what not are a waste of time and energy if you're going for max bud/ minimal time. whatever tho!

Ditto Maverick on bare bulbs. Save the cash and buy two ballasts and bulbs, waaaaaaaay better! Go vertical with em

I am very interested in setting up a bare bulb set up.

How can I find more information about this?

I looked up Indicans profile,but can't figure out how to find posts that deal with vetical bare bulb grows.

If anyone has any information or links on this subject,I would appreciate any help.

One thing that really appeals to me is that with a room with alot of hieght,you could get penetration for big plants with multiple smaller bare bulb verticals.

For instance used ,high bay warehouse lights,that are all over the place used,and dirt cheap here in the US.

They are readily available in 400 watt and 1000 watt size.

I could get 10- 400 watters for $200.00 total price used.

4000 watts for $200.00

They can be modified to run MH or HPS bulbs.

All identical.

A lifetime of spare parts

Or is a bigger light preferrable there also?

For instance used ,high bay warehouse lights,that are all over the place used,and dirt cheap here in the US.

They are readily available in 400 watt and 1000 watt size.

gallery_164_91_2925.jpg

three 60$ 400 watt high bays for 1200 watts in 4 foot 8 foot boxes

love that box grow lots of smoke in it

gallery_164_32_19413.jpg

freebie Skunk #1 from Satan

gallery_164_32_26559.jpg

Big Bud from Nirvana both plants are 24 day into 12/12

I love 400s they are cheap , the bulbs can be bought almost anywhere in a pinch

you just have to keep to your plant height under control

all the best and grow well

Dequelo

For what it's worth I used to run 2 1kw HPS vertical lamps in a 4' x 8' room. I supplemented w/ 4-400w when the gals got a lil too bushy.

D' & lazlo are correct in that 400w are very prevalent & you can buy them used for pennies on a dollar. Just be aware of the line voltage needed to run it. Some are hardwired for a 477v input. You will want to check & see if the ones you would buy have a multi-tap voltage input w/ a 110v or a 220v input.

I love the 400's too! Grew w/ them for many years! but once I stepped up to the 1kw....there was a world of difference in the plants.

I am a bit confused though as lazlo says the high bays can be modified to run both MH & HPS.

They can be modified to run MH or HPS bulbs

All identical

MH & HPS ballasts are not identical.

You can convert a HPS ballast to run MH by installing a SPST switch inline from the transformer to the ignitor. You cant add an ignitor for HPS on a MH ballast unless you know exactly where on the transformer windings to splice it in...not saying it cant be done but it is a P.I.T.A. without the proper tools.

Hey D'... :wave:

Peace...wpw

I love the 400's too! Grew w/ them for many years! but once I stepped up to the 1kw....there was a world of difference in the plants.

I have never bought them used always go to the electrical supply house and buy them from a wholesaler

and just buy multi-taps

I amwith you HPS to MH but I have never seen it done the other way around

would love to see :)

I am using only digitals now so I can run almost anything I want it in what I have to a point

I went out and bought a couple of 600s if I had it to do again I would buy 1000 watters

but hindsight is always 20/20 eh?

good to see you W'

peace and stay safe

Dequelo

For what it's worth I used to run 2 1kw HPS vertical lamps in a 4' x 8' room. I supplemented w/ 4-400w when the gals got a lil too bushy.

D' & lazlo are correct in that 400w are very prevalent & you can buy them used for pennies on a dollar. Just be aware of the line voltage needed to run it. Some are hardwired for a 477v input. You will want to check & see if the ones you would buy have a multi-tap voltage input w/ a 110v or a 220v input.

I am a bit confused though as lazlo says the high bays can be modified to run both MH & HPS.

MH & HPS ballasts are not identical.

You can convert a HPS ballast to run MH by installing a SPST switch inline from the transformer to the ignitor. You cant add an ignitor for HPS on a MH ballast unless you know exactly where on the transformer windings to splice it in...not saying it cant be done but it is a P.I.T.A. without the proper tools.

Hey D'... :wave:

Peace...wpw

Sorry about that.............

I must have mis-understanded what I read,regarding the warehouse lights being transferrable between MH and HPS

I ended up doing a 1000 watt bare bulb vertical setup,so didn't get the used high bays.

My next upgrade will be adding another 1000 watt bare bulb 2 feet above the other one.

my flower room is 6.5ftx6.5ftx9ft high.

The goal being to grow 8 big plants in a perpetual donut around the lights.(individual screens)

Very cool Deguelo

Very cool Deguelo

Thank you :)

I grew lots of weed in that box

the box has become a storage cabinet for tools for now

good luck in your grows and be safe

Dequelo

go 1000 watters for pure buds. the other adjustables and what not are a waste of time and energy if you're going for max bud/ minimal time. whatever tho!

true