•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
thor

soil vs. hydro

alrighty gang,i know of no other place to go that has so many pro breeders and growers to help me put this issue to rest.my cousins husband is not a grower at all,i am no pro by far but have been doing it more like a hobby and so i will have my own good smoke without having to deal with possibly shady characters not to mention saving money and have been at it for a few years.anyways i have always used soil,mainly cause it is easier to deal with and have always had pretty good smoke but somebody who i guess claimed to know what they were talking about had told him that weed grown in soil is no good and only weed grown in hydro is any good,probably was his dealer,go figure,lol.and i have tried with no luck to say that just isnt so.see i have just moved closer to them so i have not had a chance to bring some of my stash over and blow that stuff out of the water but i have some extrema curing and fixing to show him was up because i stand by what i got.anyways wanted to hear from all you guys just to make sure a hundred percent that i am correct or atleast it doesnt make any difference,or that i am wrong but i thought i have read just about any sight i go that everyone pretty much prefers soil grown,thanks all :whistle:

Soil imparts a flavor I prefer over hydro, although I have had some very nice dro.

It has most to do with the grower. Proper flushing and not overfeeding is the key.

Some strains, chem's mostly, taste better done right in hydro.

My cents.

Peace

soil/soilless grows are more forgiving :)

or that is how I find it but I have never done that much hydro

peace and be safe

Dequelo

Remember the film Deliverance?

Imagine it went a lil differently. You're John Voight's character, the least likely survivalist in the bunch.

So were past the rape part, and when Roddy got shot in the head. Lets imagine the hillbillies have also raped and killed Ned 'Fatboy' Beatty and Burt Reynolds. The real life Ned and Burt lol.

You need to escape. Failure will result in multiple bouts of hillbillies doing what they were born to do, and a massive amount of lovebites on the middle and upper back.

You are faced with two paths; one route, over soil, or the other, across swampland.

That's you now, stood at that fork in the hillbilly backass nightmare you're in.

My experience would say that taking the soil root, whilst being a bit more hassle, is more forgiving, giving you something a buffer 'safety net.' Taking the hydro path would give you a more direct path with better results, but if you lose direction along the way, well, its a lot easier to get lost on the hydro path away from redneck rape.

Smoking super skunk.

experienced growers can get the exact same results out of both in the end, with hydro providing faster results.

piss poor drying methods used by cash croppers gives hydro a bad rap for taste.

I have done both soil & hydro w/ the same strains and there was very little difference in the end product....

As I look back I feel that my soil plants had a bit deeper taste & aroma to them. I cure the same way every time so it wasn't a cure issue...

Growing wise ya cant beat the vigorous growth of hydro in veg. Bloom I couldnt tell much difference.

A 10 week plant is still gonna be a 10 week plant in either soil or hydro...

Peace...wpw

i have to say thor with all the available 411 on line u didn't have to ask that ? at all . the common sense u were born with should suffice to answer that question without asking other folks.

i'll tell you what i just recently told my young student of 13, and waht i have told my niece & nephew of 11 & 14 .

before you ask a question, you should try to think about that question and answer it based on what yuou already know. next step is to try and find out more on try own. and the last theing you do is to ask other people, who usually are not that much smarter then yourself.

I try to tell folks the truth, and when they seem like they don't want to believe me now, I tell them to seek out more info on there own cause the truth I told them don't seem to be good enough and I'm not in the business of proving nothing to noone anymore.

I used to make it a point to go to great lengths to prove what i was saying was the truth/factual. i have stopped wasting my energy that way for a few years now. and feel waaaay better for it too. :icecream:

Yup i'm what some folks call a " curmudgeon " by this definition. btw the person who spoke about Pete Sparks was Jack Kelly.

After knowing Pete for awhile, I searched for a word that would adequately describe him. I had always thought I knew what the word , curmudgeon meant- An older person who spoke his mind even when his opinions were less than popular. I looked up the definition of the word anyways. A curmudgeon is anyone who hates hypocrisy and pretense and has the temerity to say so; anyone with the habit of pointing out unpleasant. facts in an engaging-manner. Pete was a comparatively young man when i first met him but even then was the personification of a curmudgeon

i only included this last part cause i did not intend to offend you in anyway. cause from what you already wrote about your soil growing hobby you have enough sinse to dismiss BS.

last but not least, you should not let them know you are growin that dank if u let them try it. u can say the dude u got it form only grows in dirt. that way you later won't get hurt and try to figure out who done it.

your relatives should not knowm, your friends should not know. only you need to know. share in small quanities and don't take with you huge buds. put what you share in aluminum foil or a small street type baggy, and they will never know.

it's better to be safe then sorry. folks get jealous/ spiteful for no good reason and then they can cause you hell/harm!

grow your soil dank and STFU! :wave:

since wpw saw fit to add some comment i'll say this much.

using coco you can get speed of growth damn close to hydro and and siwtch to 12/12 sooner because of it.

coco is very easy to grow with with out some of the normal hassles associcated with straight hydropoincs. the exception to that being a hempy bucket of course. :dribble:

wup wpw!!! :wave:

I'll just add that when I DO go back to growing it will be in soil.... :j

Not to jack the thread.... but WUP ya old curmudgeon SPW? :wave:

Peace...wpw

A 10 week plant is still gonna be a 10 week plant in either soil or hydro.

well said :)

that's where hydro is going speed things up.

that it will

when I did a couple of hempy bucket the plants grew crazy fast

peace and be safe

Dequelo

Rev' Maynard, you are correct!, Hydro will speed things up in veg quite a bit. I also saw that w/ my Hempy buckets D'.

I may be different from others but I don't take into account any veg times when describing how long a plant will take to finish. It's as if veg times don't really count in my book.

Peace...wpw

I think everyone agrees that you can get good results on hydro too, though for taste most lean towards soil. I'd say towards organic. You can still use mineral nutrients on soil/soilless and spoil it ;).

As a medium soil/soilless buffers nutrients better, also soil life, structure and organic material helps, and it is a lot more forgiving towards pH.

You can really fuck up (excuse my french) a hydro grow by one mistake. On the other hand nutrients mistakes are also easier to correct as you can quickly and frequently flush most hydro media. For me it's just a much more clinical way of growing and you need to take good precautions against infections and infestations. You need to work clean and precise. I prefer to watch the tensiometer in my big tub of peat every day. In the beginning I took a lot of soil pH measurements. Very boring... I give water right out of the tap, pH 8.2, my soils pH was always around 6.3 - 6.5. My tensiometer tells me exactly how much she drinks and helps me predict when she is ready.

So if you are a technical grower: by all means use hydro. If you have never even grown it before: Start learning to grow on soil and start learning how a plant grows and what you need to do to keep it alive ;). If you want to be close to nature and grow in a very relaxed way without the ec and pH mumbo jumbo then I would certainly recommend soil/soilless and organic nutrients.

On a personal level : I feel more in touch with a plant grown on soil :D

oh, and about vegging: Most growers here don't even veg for more than a week, sometimes two in a sog ;)

It's one thing when you are running straight from clones. Veg time is allot less right off the get-go. But there are dudes like myself that grow pretty much every batch from seed. Strange? maybe but I love popping a pack of beans and enjoying as many pheno's as I can to stave off getting immune and board from my stash :)

@Whazzup, I grow in soil-less (used to be exclusively hydro) and I get what you're saying about feeling more in touch with the plants. I get depressed when I harvest....nuff said lol.

That said I can grow the same cut in hydro, soil-less and soil using the same food lineup and no one could tell the difference in a blind taste test. I've done it or else I wouldn't even comment :)

Rev' Maynard, you are correct!, Hydro will speed things up in veg quite a bit. I also saw that w/ my Hempy buckets D'.

I may be different from others but I don't take into account any veg times when describing how long a plant will take to finish. It's as if veg times don't really count in my book.

Peace...wpw

What system/style that "you" use effectively. Is the best at that point in time. I often see people make comments like how one system is better than other systems but when and if you take a good look at some of the grows they show. Well they are not often the vision of perfect health and/or often they had some aspect/issue that negatively effected the plant. When this happens, you cannot genuinely weigh the experience "if" you are not comparing them to other successful grows. Speaking generically.

I suggest that instead of weighing the grow style option first, take a look at your grow environment and begin working towards a setup that will best fit that. Far too many times do I see someone go out and by a hyped hydro system only to realize they cannot manage their environment properly or to the point to effectively take advantage of a system such as hydro and speedy growth. Depending on how hands on you are with your plants. You may not want a super fast grower where as the grower who can devote the time and energies to the plants can better take advantage of that system than say the person who checks every few days or so.

Fast growth with an inexperienced grower does not necessarily equate to better plant. Often these people have too much stretch, where as if they better trained and affected the environment for the plant better than aspects as stretch can be better manipulated naturally. I say this as I see many people in my opinion plan around what they "think" is best. I suggest plan around your environment and which ever style/technique it will likely be better than you hope for.

For new people to hydro, I recommend hempy buckets to esko's style flood & drain but I am no one special.

I won't start the discussion between mineral and organic ;). I grow in a virgin white peat substrate, which is in fact soil-less, but very organic indeed. I use a substrate without perlite so it can go straight into the compost bin for recycling.

You can really fuck up (excuse my french) a hydro grow by one mistake

that is true for sure , I found the hempy buckets are very forgiving but I used 50% vermiculite in mine

and vermiculite in soil/soilless helps to buffer the mix so it may do the same in the passive hydro setup

I also saw that w/ my Hempy buckets D'

mine grew insane only problem I ran into was I used small buckets and they fell over ez

I plan on doing a couple in 3 or 4 gallon pail with about an inch a #2 stone in the bottom

which should take care of the that

I veg then for however long I have to until I can flower them it is not all that hard to keep your

plants short the way a grow them

if I was in any hurry I would buy weed ;) ....not

good to see you W' :) hope all is well with you and yours

all the best and be safe

Dequelo

Or you can combine like in Humboldt Nutrients A+ B line. They use salt ferts with mycchos, bacteria and sugars to get the best of both worlds. I've been doing it and it works great. Growth of ferts with the health of organics, you don't have to water as much. Taste wise, don't know yet.

Or you can combine like in Humboldt Nutrients A+ B line. They use salt ferts with mycchos, bacteria and sugars to get the best of both worlds.

I am going to try seablast from earth juice for a couple of grows

I know some folks using it to grow other things and like what I have seen

I do not know if you can use it in Hempy buckets

I used supenaturals ferts they worked good but so did peters

good to see you J' hope all is good with you

peace and stay safe

Dequelo

I am going to try seablast from earth juice for a couple of grows

I know some folks using it to grow other things and like what I have seen

I do not know if you can use it in Hempy buckets

Dequelo

I just peeked at the earth juice sea blast grow and bloom formulas. i don't see why they would not work in a hempy bucket, u should be fine imho. do the normal 1/2 strength feeding style and see what happens the plants wuill tell you the rest from there as usual.

feel free to show us/me lol, that grow. i'd love to see a hempy grow from you. i started the GDp that finished in a small pot with the same ratio of medium used in the larger hempy bucket. which was a 5 gallon cat liiter bucket. ph'd water using lemon juice to get it in that magic range. i used CNS -17 nutes.

I just chopped my RDWC (recirculating deep water culture) hydro and am going back to my hempys.

The RDWC grew crazy fast and produced really good weight but in the end, it was not as easily managed as my hempys.

I recently switched my hempys from 50/50 perlite/verm mix to straight perlite and have seen little difference. My opinion on that is once the roots hit the ressy, no need for the verm in the mixture. To help with this I start in "solo" plastic cups, until about a mth old, then switch them to a 2 quart container for another mth.... then transplant into a 5 gallon bucket for flower.

That seemed to work just fine and I'll prob stick to that method until I figure out something that works a little better.

My RDWC plants were literally twice the size of my hempys but didn't provide twice the weight. The buds were on the airy side but this is my fault as I didn't lollipop the plants and cut the lower growth. I kinda though the RDWC would force the popcorn to turn into buds but it didn't happen and took away from the overall plant.

I'm a huge fan of 5 gallon hempys, huge fan.... I have referred some friends that just wanna grow their own smoke to check them out as it is really hard to mess them up. Worse case scenario, you just flush the plant's ressy and start again with your feeds.

I honestly think hempys are easier than soil, as you can't over water, you know what the nutrient levels are and it's pretty hard to mess up

I recently switched my hempys from 50/50 perlite/verm mix to straight perlite and have seen little difference. My opinion on that is once the roots hit the ressy, no need for the verm in the mixture. To help with this I start in "solo" plastic cups, until about a mth old, then switch them to a 2 quart container for another mth.... then transplant into a 5 gallon bucket for flower.

thank you for posting this I am one that really believes in the end transplanting is a good thing for your plants

in soilless/soil I have always gone from drink cups to 6 inch pots 1 one or 1 1/2 gallon pots (10 inch) to my final pot

whatever that maybe

five gallon is bigger then i want to use but to each his own, I will do 3 gallon pails or a little bigger this time

I cannot see why 100 % perlite would not work

the hempy buckets were indeed painless to grow in but soilless for me is about the same but the growth rate

in the hempys were noticeably faster and the root just exploded

I may try a SOG with them in a small bucket done on flood and drian to waste setup

but there never is enough space or time

I honestly think hempys are easier than soil, as you can't over water, you know what the nutrient levels are and it's pretty hard to mess up

I have to agree :)

I have grown in dirt , in soilless , in the ground , in pots , inside and out

hempys can indeed be painlees but I have found with growing any plants you can make it as hard you want it to be

and the plant we grow is a ..............weed ;)

all the best and thanks for the tips

Dequelo

I'll post up some pix later once the girls light comes on.

I do run a 100% perlite and there is no difference imo. I used to be by the book guy and run a mix, switched and it's saves time and energy.

With the 5 gallon buckets I am to use plant supports (round with the screen built in) and scrog the plants maximizing my light foot print.

I prefer this to regular scrog as you can move the plants around for cleaning and even light distribution and still get tons of buds like you would on a normal scrog.