•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

which books have you read and which one will you read?

I've only read a few good books (4) actually:

The hobbit by tolkien

and robbin hobb's farseer triology book 1 and 2 (assasins aprentice and royal assasin )

And a dutch written book about the Spanish inquisition (the story goes about a young boy in the capital of my country during inquisition)

i Bought brave new world today written by Aldous Huxley (only 4 euros , cheap :) )

planning to buy more books he wrote.

Other great author on the list which i need some works from , Timothy leary and Terence McKenna

Yes i read books but not story ones.

The books i did read already

108 Insights into Tai Chi Chuan,

Back Pain Relief: Chinese Qigong for Healing and Prevention ,

Dr. Wu's Head Massage: Anti-Aging and Holistic Healing Therapy,

Natural Healing with Qigong: Therapeutic Qigong,

Essence of Taiji Qigong: The Internal Foundation of Taijiquan

Simple Chinese Medicine - A Beginner's Guide to Natural Healing and Well-Being.

The books i need to read

101 Reflections on Tai Chi Chuan,

Tai Chi Secrets of the Ancient Masters,

Principles of Traditional Chinese Medicine- The Essential Guide to Understanding the Human Body,

Qigong Meditation: Small Circulation, The Root of Spiritual Enlightment,

Essence of Shaolin White Crane

Now reading

Qigong Massage: Fundamental Techniques for Health and Relaxation,

Qigong Meditation- Embryonic Breathing.

Most books are from Dr. Yang, Jwing-Ming.

I know those are no story books but there are books :)

/zODd

1984, Animal Farm, Fahrenheit 451, The Illustrated Man, anything by Isaac Asimov, Terry Pratchett. The dystopian stories are often my favourite, it matches life :fish: Haven't read a book in ages though. Can't afford them. Books are expensive here, English ones even more so...

amazon has a load of cheap (2nd hand) books, almost any book on can be bought there :)

btw i see you're from Netherlands, there is a book company called "De slechte" they ship to NL and also sell cheap books ;)

i bought my aldous huxley book there

You must mean Brave New World? I agree on both, Huxley rocks! I just received Doors of Perception and Heaven and Hell in my native language, I've only read those in english before. Other than that I've been reading a lot of Albert Camus lately and I'm waiting on my copies of TiHKAL and PiHKAL as we speak :) Also Yage Letters by William Burroughs and Mr. Ginsberg, had to order a lot of books on psychedelics because for some reason they don't have them in libraries here.. So if you'd look at my bookshelf now you'd think I'm a hardcore psychonaut haha.

Next on the list is Robert Anton Wilsons' Cosmic Trigger and Sex Drugs and Magick, I've loved that guy ever since I watched Maybe Logic.

Let's have all the readers of opengrow post some book suggestions here! I'm sure there's a lot of intelligent people here with valuable recommendations!

Edited by Companion
  • Like 1

some (selected) interesting stuff i have been reading over the last decade:

nada brahma & joachim-ernst berendt - the world is sound

hazrat inayat khan - the mysticysm of sound and music

carl jung - man and his symbols

walter gibson - the science of numerology

bob frissell - nothing in this book is true, but it's exactly how things are

dr. fred alan wolf - the dreaming universe

r.m. weerasingha - alines to the sermon

p.d. ouspensky - a new model of the universe

robert bauval and adrian gilbert - the orion mystery

murry hope - the sirius connection

robert temple - the sirius mystery

graham hancock and robert bauval - the message of the sphinx

edgar evans cayce - edgar cayce on atlantis

colin wilson - from altantis to the sphinx

richard noone - 5-5-2000

john anthony west - sepent in the sky

earlyne chaney - initiation in the great pyramid

tom kay - when the comet runs

zecharia sitchin - the twelfth planet

maurice cotterell - the supergods

max toth & greg nielsen - pyramid power

adrian gilbert and maurice cotterell - the mayan prophecies

the urantia foundation - the urantia book

adolphe franck - the kabbalah

carlos casteneda - the power of silence

philip k. dick - the divine invasion

philip k. dick - valis

dr. haha lung - assassin

robert shea and robert anton wilson - illuminati trilogy

and lotsa stuff from friedrich nitzsche, giorgio agamben, herman hesse, arthur schopenhauer,

chuck bukowski, noam chomsky, gore vidal, jean ziegler, charles manson, david icke, j.p. sartre,

camus, chuck palahniuk, céline, hamsun and bengtsson ... ect. ect. ect.

great thread :)

• Like 1

some (selected) interesting stuff i have been reading over the last decade:

carl jung - man and his symbols

bob frissell - nothing in this book is true, but it's exactly how things are

philip k. dick - the divine invasion

philip k. dick - valis

Thank you for these, I've been meaning to get to Philip K Dick but somehow he always slips my mind when I'm at the library. The Frissell and Jung books just caught my eye because of the titles, I love the sound of those :)

I also read J.P Sartres' Nausea recently, and although a bit heavy and pessimistic I enjoyed it really much. Céline is also on my to-read list, but I feel it will also be depressing so maybe I'll wait until fall for that.

Also I'm just getting into Noam Chomsky, it's just that there's too many interesting books out there. I've made a habit out of reading before going to sleep, when I'm not high that is. I've found that shutting the computer at 9-10 pm helps :D

For non - fiction, my favorite book is Papillon by Henri Cherriere.

I like fiction mostly. The most recent thing I've really liked is the Frankenstein series by Dean Koontz.

Currently reading Lord of the Rings (again for the umpteenth time, lol)

I read alot of science fiction and enjoyed a series called the Death's Gate cycle by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman

another series was by Raymond Feist it's called the Rift war saga if you like those let me know I can give you names of 30 more that I read, I am to lazy to write them all out

Oh one more I really enjoyed was a series called The Deverry Cycle by Katherine Kerr The first book is called Dagger spell

I really should get into science fiction too, but I think I'll start with Verne and Philip K Dick.

I just finished the Doors Of Perception / Heaven and Hell and I must say it's one of the most (third) eye opening books I've read. So many thoughts to process now.. :) I'd recommend that book to everyone even people that aren't interested in psychedelics.

Next up, Cosmic Trigger by Robert Anton Wilson!

• Like 1

i just discovered the Howard P LOVECRAFT world!

i love his strange and dark horror style!

• Like 1

in cold blood by capote is a hell of a good read..(and the movie). fiction i have read and enjoyed is huck finn,etc...been through everything by mark twain....usually it's biographical stuff, and i'm a crime buff....

• Like 1

The dude in my picture is Robert Anton Wilson (uncle Bob). i love reading any of his books or the Principia Discordia or anything by Alan Watts

• Like 1

The last Historical book i finished was Azincourt by Bernard Cornwell

I find it hard to relax and read books now i've started like 12 but only got to page11

Hi All, new member, thanks for all the information and insights provided every day! Start every day with OP.

Books - favorite author is James Ellroy. Man is amazing. Cold Six Thousand, L.A. Confidential (book not the strain, ha), Black Dahlia, etc.

Recently read Victor Hugo's Les Miserable, genius writer.

Big fan of crime/detective fiction - love Girl With The Drago Tatoo series...

Again, thanks for letting me hang with you all...

Leary's Flashbacks is a great read. Design for dying is quite good too.

McKenna's: The Archaic Revival is awesome! and of course Food Of the Gods is a must read!

Lots of good recommendations on this list. Too many for me to mention, but a lot have been already.

Robert Anton Wilson is HIGHLY entertaining.

Tom Robbins is lots of fun!

I really enjoy works by Colin Wilson. Especially The Occult, and Mysteries. Both excellent! A two part series.

There's a really trippy read by Mick Farren called: Jim Morrison's Adventures in the Afterlife Check it out!

and of course: William Burroughs, James Joyce, Jack Kerouac, Ken Kesey, Terry Southern, Herman Hesse

Great thread!

Guest BrockSamson

I'm going to have to check out leary's flashback's next, that's probably a good one.

Just started reading James Joyce's Ulysses

Some Recommendations

Animal Farm- read the preface too, George Orwell was a bad ass

Brave New World- Aldus Huxley

Those last two were thought provoking, but for entertainment's sake I recommend

Stephen King (Tommy Knockers (best alien book I've ever read, unbelievably funny, action packed, and entertaining+ The Stand especially)

Robert McCammon (Swan Song + Wolf's Hour (Imagine James Bond (banging a bunch of sexy female leads) in WW2, but also a ravenous werewolf that rips nazis to pieces (werewolf background story alone was worth reading the book)

• Like 1

Larry McMurtry -- his novels are like life. If you've never read him, a good place to start would be Lonesome Dove.

my God i could never remember the books i've read. i had a classical education so of course as a child and teenager i read all the classics, studied plato, nietchze, dante, etc. etc. couldnt tell anymore what i have read as i have serious memory issues. but needless to say if it was in my local library, i probably read it before i was in 5th grade. that includes every word of every caption that was in every dictionary and encyclopedia. i had a hunger for knowledge when i was young. now, have to be in the mood to read. i may read a couple or 3 novels in a weeks time, or i may go 2 years without picking up a book except the bible of course. i read it mostly every day. have read it front to back hundreds of times. some parts thousands im sure. i quit reading fiction about 20 years ago or so; i have limited time for reading nowadays so i try to stick to things where i can learn something new or have a need to know a particular thing. reading puts me to sleep nowadays. i read most of stephen kings stuff and dean koontz and lovecraft and poe prior to 20 years ago. any fiction published after that i havent read. i recently finished a book about a chinese man called "heavenly man" it will shock you, true story of course as i dont read fiction anymore. anyway, if i come across anything worth mentioning i will.