•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

BeeKaa

How To Make Your Own Cuttings?

Here they are at the beginning, when they recover i'll post a pic

gallery_142_31_507571.jpg

I took a few cuttings like this years back.... They rooted after about 3/4 weeks, then pretty much didnt do anything for about another month..... then exploded with about 8-9 stems growing out from all over the bud. Had regen leaves (single fan leaves) for the next few weeks from all the stems then it pretty much got back to normal.

• Like 1

i have a small question.

i just ordered some limited edition seeds, so i wanna make a mom out of it.

but it is regular seed, so females and males , now i was wondering what would be smartest way of handling those few seeds?

should i plant a few take clones of them and flower those seedlings till they harvest, meanwhile figuring out wich are male/female so i can dispose/take better care for the clones making my mom out of a clone,or is it better to seed only a few (2-3) put them in veg , take one or two clones from it put those into a flower period to figure out what the plants in the veggin area are , so the seedling becomes a mother?

almost forgot to tell you that its a good informal piece you dropped there beekaa!

thanx you for it! :showoff:

I made these pics for a buddy a while back, but perhaps it would be nice to share. This is somehow different from what most of you guys are used too, but i'll give it a shot anyways ;) It's also different from how I would normally do it, but you'll read the reason why

I used The White for these pics, a clone I grew out to be a nice little mom.

Here she is:

gallery_1563_2390_395974.jpg

Make sure you clean your scalpel or knife before taking a cutting, you don't want to use a dirty or somehow infected piece of steel on your moms ;) Decide where to take the cutting, in this case I make sure there's always a new shoot below the 'cutzone'. On the second picture you can see where I took the cuttings, and this way the new young shoot is getting more light since the leafs above are gone

gallery_8301_9383_652507.jpg

gallery_8301_9383_236548.jpg

There you go:

gallery_8301_9383_599552.jpg

Just like Beekaa does, I make sure they will be put in a small shotglass with water

gallery_8301_9383_773261.jpg

Now here's the part where I went the other way. I used the Spongepots Roots with some other clones, but since I was out I used the same tray the old Spongepots Roots came in. I filled these up with a mixture of Light-mix and mycorrhiza and watered them with a Bacto-solution. It's basically the same idea as the Spongepots Roots, the new roots are immediately introduced to the mycco's.

gallery_8301_9383_1484019.jpg

Before I start cutting the clone in a 45 degree angle, I made sure I snapped of 1/3 of the leaf surface to reduce evaporation. After that I will cut it:

gallery_8301_9383_2033487.jpg

gallery_8301_9383_167271.jpg

gallery_8301_9383_1818429.jpg

gallery_8301_9383_1670256.jpg

I used the most simple cutting powder from Pokon, still need to get me a bottle of Clonex :lol:

gallery_8301_9383_1932350.jpg

I made sure I pinched a small hole in the soil, like half the length of the added cutting powder. Thought behind this, is that the soil might scrape off most of the powder when putting in the cutting.

gallery_8301_9383_977242.jpg

gallery_8301_9383_1533248.jpg

And the result after some time:

gallery_8301_9383_953535.jpg

I'm not trying to hijack BeeKaa's wonderful how-to, not my intention. Just wanted to share a way it could be done, and since I already uploaded these pics on WF a while ago...... ;)

I actually have some other cuttings in some old Myco-plugs Doc gave to me like 2 years ago. These were dry as hell, but after a good night soak in Bacto, it looks like they're gonna do their job. Just make sure the temperature in your dome/propagator is top notch, some of my cuttings went through some cold periods and they would hardly root.

• Like 1

Thanks for the information. The pictures clearly show me what to aim for. Would a sandwich bag over the cutting and pot work instead of a plastic cover?

I just use a plastic cup if only doing one clone

gallery_6278_2645_55658.jpg

gallery_6278_2645_5360.jpg

there are very many different ways to clone. with a cover, without a cover, bubble clones etc just practice and do not give up

the force is with you...

• Like 1

WOW another how to cutting thread.

who would have thunk i would like this thread so much though lol. thx for showing how yall do the do.

no pics', but i have had a pretty decent success rate with some simple methods.

1. pro mix bx ; using cloning gel ( Olivia's), powder, honey, and nothing at all.

2. plain deer park spring water. which i have found out is actually acidic. stick a small branch in , change as time goes on and the roots will make u smile when u see them. especially if u have forgotten about that particular one like i did.

3. jiffy 7's work, but i don't like them much and only buy them in emergencies

4. once ii got the hand of using the groclone though it was really nice. i got that cause i wanted to save some coin and still might tweek the one i have just a tad . i played around with adding a 6" bubbler in there as well as a couple of small stone bubblers too,

not all at the same time though.

gallery_6332_3200_222046.jpg

Here are 10 Lemon Skunk clones that I cut 14 days ago. Saw the first visible roots @ day 10. Now there are 6 showing roots, probably 8 by this evening.

They all have rooted, you can tell by the tops.

The reason I'm posting this is because I was rather intimidated by the cloning process, and I set out to make it as simple as possible, and I think I have enough success with my method (100% last 2 rounds of clones) to share it.

Peat pellets are neat and simple, I think all can agree on that. Some hate them, but I think they can be your easy button.

- hydrate peat pellets. I put them in a pot saucer, put another saucer on top, then flood them with warmed water and pump up and down until they

are completely saturated. Place pellets in a tray that can hold some water

- I'll not discuss size of cuts or trimming them. I think all know the basics, like that critical clean angle cut, except to say that I make that cut very last

thing after the rooting gel or powder is applied, so that it is open and clean to draw up water

- after I've put my cuts in the pellets (about 1" - 1 1/2" deep) I seal the holes tight around the stem

- add water (warmed) to trays. 1/4" of water will do. Cover with clear, ventilated dome. I don't like seeing a bunch of condensation, wet leaves, etc.

Keep temps at around 80 F.

- leave water in trays for 4 days, then extract. Replace dome.

- that's it There is enough moisture there now to see them through to 14 days

I think this should work 100% for anyone, and it's very simple and easy. I basically just ignored this round. No fuss, no muss, no bother; just roots.

:)

These two small ones were taken from, as you can see, flowering blueberry. Sliced them off on 12.9. and after 9 days when i pulled one of them out had roots...sticked him back in... just hope it didn't cause much stress :D Keeping them on 24/0, under 70W hps... for the process i used 2 spindle cases,boiled fine masonary sand,sterilized scalper,perlite and that's that :D no rooting hormones of any kind. Existing pistils turned brown and i presume the plants are going back to veg state. Even if they don't make it...and they should make it, i'll not be disappointed cause at least i gave it a try, and by the looks of it it was the right call... Any suggestions about the light?? They need to stand it for a week or so,then i'll have the time to buy some blue spectrum cfl. Here they are at the beginning, when they recover i'll post a pic gallery_142_31_507571.jpg

well, 1st. if you make cuts that way leave them alone if they seem healthy, no need to pull them up then worry about... u allow the roots to grwo through those pots correct? if so then just get outta the way imho. just curious why did u wait to take cuts lol ?

that light won't hurt them one bit though, the diffrent spectrum of blue mh is obviously a bit more suitable. as long as the temps thehy are in is good your cuts should do well. imho

damn i forgot how old this thread was & that i was here already too. oops :whistle:

I clone all different ways at all times, lol. I made a spray cloner from a big square pot like 17 gal I think for 1.99 on sale,, got a plastic poster board(the kind that look like cardboard,not the thin flimsy kind) from my wotk for free,and used my 2' hole puncher drill bit, put like 30 holes in it. Bought three sprayer heads from hydroponics store for 40 cents a pc. And a T, drilled little holes in T for sprayers, stuck it on a 8$ pump and bam, cloner, I like to use tap water with chloride in it for cloning so it doesn't grow algea, ro/Di water from my spectrapure for everything else. Any type of clone hormone works, powder, gel,liquid. I take clones that go right up to the top of my dome in clone domes with either Rockwood cubes or dirt. Both effective, rock wool is about 11th. Sprayer is 6 days dirt is like 14/17 days, but I get 100% everytime. Since day one. Never had any problems with not taking, I feel since I take clones at least 6 inches tall, mini plants my friends say.

I always take em at about 4 week of in flower so they come back with many limbs and aggressively, taking them at 4 weeks gives me 4 or 5 main stalks I feel it increases harvest. my thoughts, peat pellets are great for seeds,,,,, sponge pot, rapid rooters are great for clones wet them once in humidity dome and leave them till roots appear through bottom,,,should not have to water but once most times. I have used gels and powders root hormones both work great. my thoughts anyway happy growing hawky

I made a great purchase last month, I picked up a Chinese knock-off "Aero-Pot". Its setup is like a DWC unit but instead of a bubbler it features a misting device placed just a few inches beneath the surface that resembles a tiny submersible pump and produces a gentle warm and smoke-like mist (a bit like looking at dry ice). I use it exclusively for cuttings and I am getting awesome results, well rooted clones in 5 to 7 days, it is also whisper-quiet. These things are a godsend to people like me who lack green thumbs and its very inexpensive if you pick up the pieces separately, about $20.

It will be apparent, they will wilt/bend and die.

If you do not see roots in a few weeks, its probably not gonna happen. If the cutting still looks viable it might be temps are too cold at root level. Use a heat mat. (Though, some strains & phenos are just hard to clone and can take a bit longer.)

If you really want to know if their are roots and you cannot see any yet and you cant waite a day or so. Gently an I mean gently see if you can pull a bit up the cutting, dont try to remove it just see if it can move up any. If it comes out and comes out easily, no rooting but if it doesnt, roots.