•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

pieterden

T5 lightning

hi..

can you guys spend 3 min on this website and help me chose the right T5 setup for germinate and vegg (3 - 4 weeks) - .. 4 to 6 plants.

i do see this bulb on the website - 55w 10000K PL light tube ? will that one work ? or do i need to get closer to 6500k ?

im on a 400 W - shady MH bulb frome a shady dealer - i dont trust it - nor do i see any changes after 4 days - so i need to go asap on the riight T5 setup . it dont looks like i can get hold of 55w 6500 (same as wazzzup) - only 55w 10 000k ..

here is the website .. one of the last 2 at the bottom

http://dorrypets.co.za/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=155&Itemid=33

10000K for veg?

First time I've heard of that...I've always preferred 6500K for vegetative growth.

Anyway, 4-6 plants, I'd get at least 2 bulbs, I don't believe one 55w bulb would be enough. I use six 54w bulbs in my T5 setup, and I'd use more if they would fit.

Yes, the TNeon PL units are nice to work with. Any well built PL fixture will work. Think about how many you want to pre-grow in small pots under this light (I prefer 6500) and based on that buy your lamps. 2x55 (x2) worked for me in a 80x80 tent.

I use 2x55 on a 60x40 surface (prima klima fixture) and 2x2 x 55 on 80x80 (tneon fixtures)

Yes, the TNeon PL units are nice to work with. Any well built PL fixture will work. Think about how many you want to pre-grow in small pots under this light (I prefer 6500) and based on that buy your lamps. 2x55 (x2) worked for me in a 80x80 tent.

I use 2x55 on a 60x40 surface (prima klima fixture) and 2x2 x 55 on 80x80 (tneon fixtures)

ive seen your pics- and great read from all your posts ..respect

i decide to stuff the indoor and stick to outdoor as it running from 9am already at 29 C and at midday 32-34 C . i hope its not too hot. im now only in week1 .so far so good.

but the problem is ,the smell ? how far does that stretch outdoor ? . i am staying in a estate . lol . 13 indica's are up and ready to go. ( herij. annas.jackberry and ko kush)

another question is about molasses.. when do you start using it ? and how much.. i cant find your post where i read about you and mollases . i did get some at a local farm here

thats it ---

pro organic mix soil, lots of buffertablets and mollases ... thats what i came up with an easy way out . and prob. last weeks a bloom fertiliser.

Hi, I recently bought a T5 setup.It has 8 bulbs in it They are 2ft long and you can shut 4 off if you want, 4blue and 4 red.This is 75 watt system.I had four Herijuana under for 5 weeks and the buds are everywhere! I just put them under my 400 wt. HPS bulb, where they will get 12/12 lighting.This T5 is kickass!!!!!!!!

I am into the 60 cm T5 tubes too. I think they spread out the light a bit better than the PLL's I can cover a 80x80 with 144 watts 6x24 watt till they are ready to go 12/12 or under the Mh for bigger veg. I keep 4-8 bonsai mothers in coco under 48 watt T5 !

On the other hand you can get loads of the normal 60 cm or 120 cm T8 for much less money and get almost as good results.

Its only late in veg you need a lot of light, it can't compare to the importance of high Photon or lumen count for a full flowering plant.

As for mothers, most of the time you don't wan't them to have explosive growth, on the contrary.

Satyr

I use Hydrofarm T5s for popping seeds and a short veg, these you can link each T5 together and put as many bulbs as you want together (up to 6 bulbs on one receptacle I think. They were $40 each and worth every cent! I personally quit f'n with MH bulbs, as I see better flowering with HPS.

People who have done outdoor growing more recently than I may be able to correct me, but I never noticed a period of stretch when I grew outdoor. (Except for a single plant, I haven't grown outdoors since the mid-90s.)

Compared to other strains, Herijuana, Anesthesia and Jackberry don't smell all that much, but if someone who knows the scent gets within a few meters of them, they'll likely smell them. Grow them somewhere that the wrong people won't be near.

BTW, I have an 8 tube, 4 ft fixture for vegging, and I love it. (4 feet is about 120cm.) It covers an area 60cm x 120cm pretty well.

I use Hydrofarm T5s for popping seeds and a short veg, these you can link each T5 together and put as many bulbs as you want together (up to 6 bulbs on one receptacle I think. They were $40 each and worth every cent! I personally quit f'n with MH bulbs, as I see better flowering with HPS.

I use the same setup, just two 2''ers in my veg/clon cab. I still use MH for pre-flowering as I do find it helps the transition to the HPS a little easier on the plant when it's been hardened a bit.

JB^ I find you can get the same size plants under both MH and T5 but the MH does it quicker and with the added heat you tend to cycle between feeding quicker, building a better root system from the quicker wet/dry cycles. This will vary from grow to grow and by no means the word on how this stuff works ;)

All the best,

RM

great to hear that misterdirt, i just purchased one. is there a big size difference between the plants t5 vs mh?

I can't directly compare. I have the 400W t-5 fixture and a 1000W MH. So far, I've only used the t-5 for vegging, and it does a fine job. I usually use the MH for an extra week or two of veg, on occasion, as the plants outgrow the veg tent.

There is no doubt that MH is more efficient than fluoros, but I don't want to deal with the extra heat. If I had a more suitable growing environment, I'd go with an MH.

Heat is always an issue with any HID light setup.After reading many articles on CFL growing i figured it was time to give the Quantum BadBoy a try. I purchased the 16 bulb unit, i alternated the bulbs, so instead of just using all 16 bulbs (6500K) for Vegging, and all 16 Bulbs (2900K) for flowering, i am using 8 of each through the entire process of Vegging, and Flowering. Once my seeds are germinated, i put them under a 250Watt 6500 CFL Light for the first two weeks under 24/7 Lighting. After two weeks i send them off to the grow tent for another 10-14 days of 24/7 lighting under the Badboy, or until the plants reach 18-24 inches in height, At that time they go to a 12/12 light cycle until finnished. I am extremely impressed with the results, heat is never an issue, my tent stays at a steady 78-80 degrees. i run two 12" clipon fans in the tent at all times. I am always go back and forth with Hydro, and Soil, but always end up just going back to soil, i built a very nice Hydro Re-Circulating setup identical to the UnderCurrent shown here http://www.cch2o.com/, but for a 1/3 of the price of theirs. Any how this will be my first time growing Sannies Killings Fields, and Sannies Jack, I am going to to do them side by side for comparison testing. The two grows i am going to do first will be with Killing Fields, One will be done with the Quantum BadBoy 16 Bulb shown here http://www.greners.c...5-fixtures.html, and the other one will be done using my new SolisTek MATRIX 1000W MH/HPS Dimmable LCD Remote Control Ballast shown here http://www.greners.c...last-1000w.html using the HydroFarm Raptor shown here http://www.greners.c...-reflector.html I will post Journals so that you may compare for your self

Edited by Maverick
No pictures are allowed in Signatures

Interesting test. You'll enjoy growing the jack.

I !use T5 and I see the T5 kicking ass in veg...:/ not sure about tube combo.

Your hps will destroy in flower as more penetration. This is where T5 fails for flowering in my opinion.

Good luck v interested in the T5 flowering.

Grtz hillcrest :P

PS... is you signature big enough :D no offendse but nothing worse than scrolling through a thread with aload of large signatures in.... puts me straight off reading any further.

Dear HillCrest,

This is where T5 fails for flowering in my opinion.

May be that you are knowing something more, but in mij opinion you´re wrong.

The strength of the T5 is the distance to the plants. On WF I´ve done some measurements and I´am believing that the T5 will bring

the same results as a HPS.

Let me try to explain:

We are talking now about lux, lumen and distance. There is a formula for it:

gallery_5351_7579_7557.gif

If I´ve got it right, the formula was Lux = Lumen / (distance²)

And then we get this:

The result between a T5-tube (54 watt T5 High Output) and a 400 watt HPS:

Red are the distances we normally don´t use.

gallery_5351_7579_250.gif

In my opinion the T5 is a very good light-soure and it stands nothing behind a HPS.

The climate is better to keep under control and the buds aren´t lying:

gallery_5351_8844_48170.jpg

Normally I´am growing above 0.9 g/w with T5.

If you don´t believe: You can see all mij topic´s on the Wietforum.

You´ll find them in miy signature (on WF).

Greetings

Torsten

Theory is all very well and good .... but I've NEVER seen a T5 beat HPS in flower ever in relation to grow time and yeilds....and bud density.

If you can show me a proper comparison of HPS 'V' T5 in a side by side grow where T5 wins I'd be interested.....AND amazed.

For example..... say 5 x (220W) T5 units 'V' 1 x Gavita 1000DE at the same distance from plants of say 1m.

If you CAN get those units to beat the 1000DE I'll sell my gavita and buy 4 more T5 units ;)

(The word 'leggy' springs to mind)

Grtz HillCrest :P

Being a man without a light meter, I can't answer this question. But distance from what point determines the light intensity?

For an HPS or MH, it's almost a point -- or at least closer to a point than a 120 cm fluoro tube is.

Does a HO T-5 tube have the same light intensity the whole way along the tube? If so (and I assume it is so, more or less) is that the same light intensity that would come from a MH 5 cm away from the bulb what you would find 5 cm from anywhere along the tube? I assume the second part is NOT so.

MisterDirt.........

gallery_32388_13236_22272.jpg

Here's a comparision of 6 x T5 units against 1 x 250W MH.

Comparing PAR (which plants are interested in) and NOT Lumens.

http://www.advanceda...10/2/aafeature2

I'm very happy with my T5 unit...used for short vegging, but when it comes to flowering I know I'd choose a 1000DE ANY TIME.

Also interesting.. http://www.americana...m_Lighting.html

T2 interests me.

Gotta agree Hillcrest....T5s are awesome for veg, but all the charts in the world dont make a plant grow! 1000watts+ = BUDS!!!!!

Dear HillCrest,

I don´t start a discussion about different types of lights and lamps.

It gets an endless discussion, it´s like talking about religion.

But I´ll try to give some answers:

Theory is all very well and good .... but I've NEVER seen a T5 beat HPS in flower ever in relation to grow time and yeilds....and bud density.

If you can show me a proper comparison of HPS 'V' T5 in a side by side grow where T5 wins I'd be interested.....AND amazed.

For example..... say 5 x (220W) T5 units 'V' 1 x Gavita 1000DE at the same distance from plants of say 1m.

If you CAN get those units to beat the 1000DE I'll sell my gavita and buy 4 more T5 units ;)

(The word 'leggy' springs to mind)

On Wietforum we have a big group who are busy to grow and flower under fluo-lights. The results of the more expierienced growers

are (nearly) equal to those, who are growing under HPS.

But that are different ways to grow. The fluo-grower has to put his lamp down to 5-10 cm above the plants (T5) or 2-3 cm above the plants by using T8-tubes.

So, your "battle" between the 1000-watt-Double-Ended and a 1000-watt-fluo-lamp doesn´t work with your demands.

It also wouldn´t work if you´ve got to put your lamp down to 5 cm above the plants.

Such a test only could work if the grower uses the normal way of growing under the lamps. 1 meter distance for the 1000-watt-lamp and

5 cm distance for the fluo-lamp.

And now take a look at the diagram and see what happens with the strenght of the light.

Being a man without a light meter, I can't answer this question. But distance from what point determines the light intensity?

For an HPS or MH, it's almost a point -- or at least closer to a point than a 120 cm fluoro tube is.

Does a HO T-5 tube have the same light intensity the whole way along the tube? If so (and I assume it is so, more or less) is that the same light intensity that would come from a MH 5 cm away from the bulb what you would find 5 cm from anywhere along the tube? I assume the second part is NOT so.

Dear Misterdirt,

the measurment of the output of the lamps takes place in the "Sphere of Ulbricht". During the measurement in this sphere it doesn´t matters what kind of lamp is inside. The result are only the lumens.

The rest is theorie / maths.

The output of light of a tube is over the whole lenght nearly the same. The endcaps of a tube have a lower output.

So, the grower have to play with the distance. Who hotter the lamp, who longer the distance to the plants.

Here is measurement of my cabinet: 540 watt T5 with plastic mirrors:

gallery_5351_7579_13948.jpg

Distance of the lamp is 80 cm, temperature of the tubes is 60°C and the result is 34.000 lux .

MisterDirt.........

gallery_32388_13236_22272.jpg

Here's a comparision of 6 x T5 units against 1 x 250W MH.

Comparing PAR (which plants are interested in) and NOT Lumens.

http://www.advanceda...10/2/aafeature2

I'm very happy with my T5 unit...used for short vegging, but when it comes to flowering I know I'd choose a 1000DE ANY TIME.

Also interesting.. http://www.americana...m_Lighting.html

T2 interests me.

The fluo-tubes are producing nearly 90% par-light. Par-light is the light between 400 and 700 nm.

Here are some graphic´s of the prototype I´ve build for Gavita. This test are made by Gavita:

The 827:

gallery_5351_7579_54256.jpg

The 865:

gallery_5351_7579_18933.jpg

Some pic´s of my fluo-grow`s:

Super-Shiva, 12 weeks flowering priode:

gallery_5351_9677_167931.jpg

gallery_5351_9677_405798.jpg

A bud of Djbroertje:

gallery_5351_9677_336264.jpg

In my opinion, the difference between HPS and fluo-lightening isn´t so big anymore.

Every type of light has it´s advantages and disadvantages.

But you can grow under both lights succesfully.

Greetings

Torsten

Hi Guys,

I just want to mention that growing and blooming under the T5 is indeed normal possible. it needs a different approche.

gallery_972_1408_178304.jpg

Now i an running a grow for the 3 time in a row under a BadBoy T5, with 8 x 54 Watt.

the picture is from a run 2 years ago. where there was too much heat under the Badboy, since it is a big surface without room too let the heat go away.

Now i made some changes in the reflectors, and the heat issue is gone.

i do not say what is better, just this way of growing works for me.

Grtz,

Dj.

Just a few pic´s how my cabinet was filled during an earlier grow:

The ladies (Basic-Seeds Zilver Shadow) were harvested after 10 weeks of flowering:

gallery_5351_11532_24935.jpg

gallery_5351_11532_626927.jpg

Greetings

Torsten

Hi Torsti,

Ok even though I favour 1000W of HPS over T5 for flowering.........................

I DO have to say you use your lighting to great efficiency :D

Have you used T2 Lighting and do you have any relevant info on T2 ?

I hear that they are far more efficient than T5, giving off more usable light for a tube of the same size/watt.

(haven't read that much so I maybe well off)

When I first started growing indoor I used fluoro. The T5 HO was new in the industry. I had been using the T8. There were a few on the old Over Grow using fluoro and having very good success. We fought back and forth about the T8 Vs T5. I don't remember names like I should but there was one, I think his name was Dub something or other, who had an outrageous fluoro cabinet. His yields were the same or better than some of the HID growers.

I finally got the room to where I could start using HID. Yes the HID is good. Yes I think I can yield better with it. However I don't think I learn as much about the strains I grow under it, as I don't have to get it tuned in like I did with the fluoro.

I have seen so many fluoro grows that have taken my breath away. These growers are the true Super Growers. They know their cabinets and plants better than most people do. They have to know them better or their yields suffer.

With these new lamps the buds coming off of the plants will compare with the HID. My hat goes off to all the fluoro growers.