•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
LaVieEnRose

Ballast issue, non starting Green power, PIA ?

Hello,

I have an old ballast i bought 15 years ago, when it was hard to find hardware in my country.

He have a max 500W outpout, HPS/MH.

I use it in winter cold time, i ad this one to my actual 600W ballast in my 120x120 room. He is working fine, with an old Philips Son-T Agro 400w (430W in fact).

I bought few days ago a Greenpower 400W to renew my Son Agro, the same the 600W i have, but she doesn't start :(

I try the bulb in other ballast, the lamp is working fine, but not in this ballast. This ballast works fine with Osram, Sylvania and older Philips lamps.

I was wondering where it is coming from, may be the ignitor or something in the new PIA technologie, what do you mind ? What could have change between Son Agro and GreenPower ?

Is the 400W - philips Master HPI-T Plus using the same technologie and may i have to face some issues if i try this MH too ? Maybe i will mix 600HPS/400W MH, but i think the light repartiton won't be as great cause the lamp will light more blue on one side and more red on the other. So it is why i have renew by the same HPS Greenpower (great bulb i always use from seed to harvest)

Here is some pictures of this particular ballast :

med_gallery_992_2346_552218.jpg

med_gallery_992_2346_112271.jpg

gallery_992_2346_200593.jpg

med_gallery_992_2346_450470.jpg

Thanks for any help or explanation you can provide to me :dope:

You mention the former was a 430 watt, if that is the case, thats the explanation. You wan't get a 430 watt lamp to start without issues in a 400watt ballast and vice versa. Apparently, the 430 worked well in the 500 watt, but I am not sure its working very optimum when you are mixing lamps and ballasts the way you do, even if they start.

A new adjustable ballast would do wonders to your grow results, for sure. Also you will save a lot on your energybill as the old 500 watt ballast is old and therefore probably not very efficient and using more on running the old machinery than putting out to the lamp....When upgrading one thing, you always end up having to do it a lot of places...lol

Satyr

Hello Satyr,

You mention the former was a 430 watt, if that is the case, thats the explanation. You wan't get a 430 watt lamp to start without issues in a 400watt ballast and vice versa. Apparently, the 430 worked well in the 500 watt, but I am not sure its working very optimum when you are mixing lamps and ballasts the way you do, even if they start.

No, you are mistaken, the Philips SON-T Agro works in any 400W ballast, any lamps of any brand works since 1995 in my ballast who is not corrupted. This ballast is specialy design for 400w, with an extra boost allowed; If you see the pictures, the nominal value of the ballast is 400W, but the output (AxV) could reach 500W.

The problem is somewhere else, certainly from the technology PIA inside some Philips tube

i bet you capacitor is fucked as well,,, which will cost you more aswell, on your electricty.

the ignitor sound right. you need a multi meter that can test capacitance, not all do it.

if it was me , as your are i would test. on the whole me buy new unit and do repair,,then have this as spare bacck up

ok dude dont think i helped. but there you go

all the best ink

Hello,

But there is nothing to repair, he works fine, right now the light is on well and alive, there is just a compatibility problem with the Philips Integrated Antenna techno in some model of this brand :)

An explanation could be the 4,20A max of the ballast, and the Green Power 400W is 4,23A, so above max( 400W nominal, 420w Rated - Lamp voltage113V) and the Agro is 4,13A so below 4,20A, (400w nominal, 423w rated - lamp voltage 116V).

http://www.philips.com/l/lamps/high-intensity-discharge-lamps/20952/cat/

Anyway, i have a working setup, just want to understand why the GS goes wrong.

If anybody can tell me the max amperage written on classical ETI 400W, could help (it is written on the cover top most of time)

i bet you capacitor is fucked as well,,, which will cost you more aswell, on your electricty.

the ignitor sound right. you need a multi meter that can test capacitance, not all do it.

if it was me , as your are i would test. on the whole me buy new unit and do repair,,then have this as spare bacck up

ok dude dont think i helped. but there you go

all the best ink

You can get by without the capacitor even being in the equation. I don't recommend doing it but I have wired around many of them without causing any damage.