•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
lazlo

pollinating just a couple branches

I have a KO kush male isolated and ready to drop a bunch of pollen.

I also have three KO kush females,and 2 killing kush females that are in about week 4 of flower

I want to pollinate a couple branches on each.

i've never tried it before,but after a long, tedious,search session for info ,here is my basic plan

:

1 at the end of the light cycle,move the selected girls out of the room

2put plastic over them except where pollination is desired

3with a paintbrush,carefully paint the chosen branches with pollen

4at the end of the dark cycle,remove plastic spray plants off with water,and return them to the room

Questions:

Is there a better way to do this?A simpler way?

Will it work?

Is that long enough time for pollination to take place?

How do YOU do it?

I don't have the option of putting them somewhere else for a few days

I spent quite a bit of time searching for info on this subject,but still am unsure of a simple,quick way to do it.

A link would be good too.

One more question,

If there is leftover pollen,how long will it be good in the fridge/freezer

Thanks for any help

Sounds like a good plan. I would not leave the plants covered in plastic for a whole dark period. When I have pollinated branches I have used a paint brush to put pollen on a couple branches, waited about an hour and then hosed the whole plant down to "de-activate" the pollen. I just wonder if the plants would get stressed being wrapped in plastic for 12 hours,?. Maybe pollinate them a couple hours before lights out, spray them down and put them to bed. I have a thread somewhere on here, forgive the lack of link, titled something like "How long for pollination?" that had some other peoples opinions. Seeds need about 4 weeks to ripen, and 6+ weeks to split their bract/fall out on their own, in my experience.

As fpr storing pollen, I store portions in little wax paper packets I folded and keep the packets in a container with a desiccant packet in it to keep the pollen super dry and cold, not frozen. I have used pollen that has been stored 6+ months with success.

Cross sounds good, will the KO be your own f4 or f5? Good luck man!

I've pollinated single branches with a paint brush in the past. It works. I never bothered spraying them off, or covering with plastic (something I don't recommend at all - moisture builds up quickly under plastic and can start mold growth).

I didn't have a problem with other flowers getting pollinated, but it's certainly possible.

I would do it somewhat backwards.

If I only wanted a few seeds. Cover the branch/bud you want to dust in something, spray the rest of the buds you don't wan't pollinated with water. Remove the cover of the selected bud, dust the bud and immidiately spray it with water.

Pollination is instantly on contact, Pollen don't need time to work. Touch and water. Done. Otherwise you WILL have pollen flying around, even if just a few. Water kills pollen instantly.

Stop all ventilation while you do it. Keep all the tools and the pollen in a plasticbag you can seal.

I find the method to very effective and only get seeds on the dusted bud. Sometimes even in astonishing numbers.

Good luck

Satyr

P.S. Don't do it just before lights out, cause you want the plants to dry on the leaves and bud after the dusting spraying. Lift the reflector a bit while it dries and ventilate the room a lot while doing it.

I didn't know it was instant either?

If you don't want to go to all that trouble you mentioned, don't worry about it. If you are careful with the pollen you should be ok.

I find that a cotton tip is better than a small paint brush, the paint brush 'flings' pollen around a little bit.

Great info Satyr. I will definatly use this. Only I would leave the part out where I soak the whole plant ^^ Id rather work carefully and just soak the pollinated stem ;-) But Iam also rather lazy ^^

I find that a cotton tip is better than a small paint brush, the paint brush 'flings' pollen around a little bit.

Also: Great info. Saved!

Thank you very much,

GB

To be honest...lol....I never spray the rest of the plant either, and I also use a cotton stick, but I do spray water on the pollinated bud, as soon as possible to prevent it flying around.

The other method, I once used when I pollinated one plant with 3 different strains...talking about being lazy...But if you are totally anal compulsive about not having any seeds in your supposedly seed free buds, thats the way to go about it.

Satyr

But if you are totally anal compulsive about not having any seeds in your supposedly seed free buds, thats the way to go about it.

Don´t laugh while smoking! *blaaaargh wheeeeze*

for me:

no grow without pollinating some branches. so, listen and learn, fellas.

that's some vital info for everyone still not producing their own seeds ;)

To be honest...lol....I never spray the rest of the plant either, and I also use a cotton stick, but I do spray water on the pollinated bud, as soon as possible to prevent it flying around.

The other method, I once used when I pollinated one plant with 3 different strains...talking about being lazy...But if you are totally anal compulsive about not having any seeds in your supposedly seed free buds, thats the way to go about it.

Satyr

yes a cotton stick works awsome since the pollen sticks to the cotton better than a paint brush. too many bristles moving around on a paint brush moves pollen easier to go somewhere you dont want it to. you dont need a ton of pollen either. just cause you cant see a whole lot on the tip of the brush or cotton stick does not mean its not there. and yes spray plants within just a few mins. the pollen does not need much time at all. if you do use multiple pollen types just remember to mark branches. i forgot this one time when i was real stoned and had to pop the different beans and go through a whole run just to find what was what. :j :execute