•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Nippie

How is THC content tested?

Does anyone know how exactly THC is tested in strains?

Say at Sannie's for example, when it says up to 24%, how is this tested?

I'm sure labs can do this, but with equipment and has anyone ever done this before?

A lab probably uses gas chromatography (expensive equipment and needs maintenance and calibration), I do it with thin layer chromatography (cannalytics)

• Like 1

Whazzup:

What ranges do they give you from the TLC? Having used TLC myself I know it's semi-quantitative at best, unless you have super-tight controls and even then... Don't suppose you know what they do?

Is it legal in the NL to send a sample into a lab to have it tested?

no, it is not. Strange thing though that it is legal to have your hard drugs tested :D

Whazzup:

What ranges do they give you from the TLC? Having used TLC myself I know it's semi-quantitative at best, unless you have super-tight controls and even then... Don't suppose you know what they do?

Some cannabinoids have been calibrated, such as the THC, so you can do readings within a few percent. If you repeat and stay on the average side you won't be off much.

If your in the USA, google Spectrum LABS if your looking to get samples tested for free.

Grtz :P

it depends om how accurate you execute the test. In any case it will give you much more insight than just THC level because that is not the main thing you are looking for.

I agree with wazzup, you are looking at more than just THC. You are looking at the other compounds that help the THC react in different ways.

That test really is an awsome at home way to do it, I have done the same kind of test at school, but we were looking at minerals in soil.

This is something I've been learning recently. Man A, with his whopping 26% THC stuff laughs at man B and his puny 13% THC stuff.

Man A smokes some of man B's stuff, and is stunned to silence, because his high is so beautiful.

Somebody on here recently posted the lab results on the strain he is growing. Damned if I can find it, but the guy loves it; he's growing it on purpose.

The results showed 13 or 14% THC. Seemed to me the other markers for the cannabinoid profile were lit up pretty good. If anyone knows the post I'm talking about, could you please shoot a reminder link? I think a picture of that lab report would go good in this thread. (or not )

This is a fascinating topic. Raw Delta THC vs other Cannabinoids vs terpenes. (anyone correct me if I'm making an ass of myself :) )

*edit* terpenes are responsible for aroma / flavour ... ?

To measure THC content all cannabinoid acids need to be decarboxylated. Any test that does not incorporate this process in the sample is not valid for cannabioid tests.

post-59-0-72213800-1327502265_thumb.jpg

The smear on the bottom is the acids. Upon heating they decarboxylate to the active form (first and third lane).

You see a small amount of CBC and a larger amount of CBG under the THC spot that modulate the THC effect, also there is a small amount of THCV. There is even a small spot of CBD (and CBND in the non-heated sample). This is a typical complex indica profile. Weed with just THC is very dull and high.

Have you done profiles on the any of strains available in the store yet. Would be neat to actually see what some of my favorite canabinoid mixes are.

Dear Growers,

this is an example of a cannalytics-print.

This was the strain I used to grow last year

gallery_5351_11532_55339.jpg

Greetings

Torsten

• Like 1

yes we have, but it would not be fair to just publish a few and not do all the others. For now we use it just as a breeders tool. I have been involved with the Dutch company that developed and makes it for a while, I just could not work with the owner, who is brilliant, but not very practical. We had a team of cannalytics test masters trained and equipped with the kit to do research and provide input for the Cannalytics database. Unfortunately with insufficient involvement of the producer, it was discontiued. We had a special sub-section of the forum dedicated to cannalytics research and signature comparison. Knutsel and keesthemad are trained as a cannalytics test master as well.

So yes we think it is a very interesting and easy to use tool, but it has dangerous chemicals and you should be careful to use it and read the warnings very well indeed! It takes a lot of training and practice though to analyse a fingerprint. We had two workshops and a training weekend to get started.

• Like 1