•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
HillCrest

which ballast for a 250W lamp ? 400W Dimmable or a straight 250W

Hi all I'm looking to purchase another light for a small 60x60x160 tent for Quarantine purposes.

Really I'm mainly going to use the light on a 250W setting.

I know cost wise it's more effective to purchase say the Gavita digistar 400W dimmable or the lumatek dimmable and run at the 250W setting as this would give me further capabilities if needed in the future.

What I would like to know is...........

Is a 250W lamp going to run more efficiently light wise in a straight 250W ballast or at the 250W setting on a 400W dimmable ballast ?

Grtz HillCrest :P

i have been using a lumatek 250w only and a B.A.L. 250w/400w switch ballast.

and there's been no significant differences in yields or times of flowering or so.

You can get "dimmable" ballast where you have to change the lamp,bulb to the output of the ballast. I think B.A.L ballasts are one of them. Muselmann another as far as I remember.

Both are mediocre it is said, some says.

Lumatek, GIB or what they brand them need the max wattage. Ie. 400 watt lamp for 400 watt ballast ect.

Satyr

I have a Lumatek 400 watt dimmable that I run 250 watt bulbs in quite a bit

then I can just throw a 400 in it when needed and it runs at 275 watts which I believe

is the same as the super lumens on the 250 watt ballast

all the best and be safe

Dequelo

Lumatek, GIB or what they brand them need the max wattage. Ie. 400 watt lamp for 400 watt ballast ect.

Hi Satyr...

This isn't true. I know for a fact Lumatek recommend a 250W lamp at the 250W setting in a 400W dimmable ballast. A 400W WILL work at the 250W setting but the efficiency will be less than using a 250W lamp

I have had 2 of the lumatek dimmables before (sold em and bought the gavita DE) wish I had kept them now lol.

I know flower times are not going to be effected, and yeild difference is going to be negligable. I was simply looking for whether a 250W ballast with a 250W lamp in or a 400W ballast dimmed with a 250W lamp in is more efficient for

the bulb.

I'm thinking arc stability differences .....life of bulb etc etc.

I thought someone on OG may have done a test of these possible differences.........such as Whazzup the light god ;)

I know I WILL more than likely be buying the Gavita digistar as I can get a good discount and can't knock Gavita's guarantee.

Plus I'll be buying 2 x Gavita LEP so might as well make everything the same :D

Cheers for input folks.

400W dimmable ballast is fine. Use a 250W lamp for optimal efficiency, efficiency of the ballast in 250W will almost be the same as in 400W. So you are not throwing any power away and you are more flexible when you want to use a bigger light in the future.

Happy growing :)

nuff said ...... thanks all.

Think I'll trial bare bulb in this tent.

gallery_32388_13236_3695.jpg

congrats to the new ballast, hill ... you bought some very great equipment with this.

have much success with it.

cheers,

el santero