•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Schizoid Man

Breathing Problems when I'm HIgh

It happened to me twice so far, I took some hits from my SP, and after a while when I'm super high, I start getting this unpleasant feeling, like I'm having trouble breathing, Its not exactly like choking, but it made me gasp for air a few times.

Has anyone here ever had such an experience before?

I'm a pretty new smoker so I'm not really familiar with smoking related 'problems'.

Hi!

firstely what's your smokin method?

bong,doobie,tobacco joint???

by SP u mean Sugar PUnch???

Peace

If you are new smoker, toking on strong sativa strain (like sugar punch) can give u bad feeling depending on how u feel the moment you smoke etc...

are u alone when u smoke???

i remember a period (6 or 7 years ago) i was smoking strong strains and have the same breathing probs...don't became paranoid it's in ur mind(or maybe u got asthma)

try to smoke in a cool opened room and maybe u need to adjust your dosage...

there is too many factors...

since thoses days i've stopped smoke tobacco joint, i smoke only grinded buds in joints or bong...maybe u should try smoking this way

but once you light it up smoke slowly toke by toke,i can stay watching a good movie whit one joint this way!

Hope i help u!

I guess I should be more careful with the dosage, and I;ll try to get a proper bong.

And I don't really become paranoid(Except the first time I smoked), if it wasn't for the breathing I think I would've had a good time.

Thanks!

I've had this;

Usually happens when my stomach is full. I'll smoke a joint, lay down on the couch and watch some tube, and sometimes I'll fall asleep, and wake up, and it seems I don't want to take a breath in. I sit up, blow air out, and take a breath. I think the not breathing wakes me up.

Does it happen if you're on the nod, or just mid-stream / fully concsious? They say there are no receptors for cannabinoids in the brain stem, where autonomic functions originate, but I'm not so sure.

Or are you just talking about how really greasy good pot kind of coats the lungs, giving a heavy, or labored effect.?

Do you find that it seems to actually loosen the lungs up afterwards? Like coughing up good phlegm; a productive cough?

I've been smoking pot and cigs for about 30 years now, so my physiology is probably a little sketchy, though.

I get that lung coating effect from oil the worst. (best ;) )

I've had this;

Usually happens when my stomach is full. I'll smoke a joint, lay down on the couch and watch some tube, and sometimes I'll fall asleep, and wake up, and it seems I don't want to take a breath in. I sit up, blow air out, and take a breath. I think the not breathing wakes me up.

Does it happen if you're on the nod, or just mid-stream / fully concsious? They say there are no receptors for cannabinoids in the brain stem, where autonomic functions originate, but I'm not so sure.

Or are you just talking about how really greasy good pot kind of coats the lungs, giving a heavy, or labored effect.?

Do you find that it seems to actually loosen the lungs up afterwards? Like coughing up good phlegm; a productive cough?

I've been smoking pot and cigs for about 30 years now, so my physiology is probably a little sketchy, though.

I get that lung coating effect from oil the worst. (best ;) )

Sounds like sleep apnea. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_apnea

Hi Schizoid man. I've lived with panic attacks, as you've described for all my life. I've had panic attacks smoking strong sativa's before. I've had much better success with moderate doses of Indica. Sounds like you're getting a little paranoid after smoking. I know many people like you and they are not smokers today. If you are new to smoking one thing you will notice is everything is more intense. All of our senses are keener. Our environment around us is more vivid. Just try to relax and enjoy the new feeling. Good luck to you and God Bless.

Ms. Drip N ~Twister

Just like Drip sait, it can be first signs of some Panic Attac !

It doesn't need you to be "scared" to happend, you may even don't realize that, until it feels bad breathing.

Not to scare you, but some peoples needs heavy dose of sedative to calm down if they go bad trip that way :) (mostly because they are scared, they think they gonna die, because they think they can't breathe, pretty funny if it's happening to someone else than you lol)

Try to smoke less at a time, and make sure you're in a comfortable place (if you're young, somewhere you can relax, not fearing to be discovered by someone), also a warm place (if you're cold, you'll contract your body, can induce stress, that may lead to panic attac), in a peacefull state of mind, it may ease your experience :)

Good trip :)

Jim - Keep in mind, it's a "drug" :)

PS : recall of a friend, that thought he was going to die, because he had that feeling, but was convicted it was because of some of his girlfriend's hair that was stuck in his lung, and would make him bleed to death from inside, he was scared as fuck, and we all were laughing loud, kind of day you remember a looooong time with a smile ;)

Wow thank you all, I wish I could answer each of you directly but its too much work!

It didn't feel like I was panicking, I never panicked before, I a very laid back dude most of the time so it seems weird.

I was in my place when I smoked and there was no reason to fear of being discovered.

The breathing problem was not present most of the high, but it did last about 20-30 mins in the peak of the effect, sitting up and walking around for a bit helped, but I still had an uneasy feeling for a while after.

Is it a matter of 'getting used' to strong strains?

Nice one Cloneman!

Its called being Paranoid. Its happened to me before when i have smoked to much and get to stoned, You start to talk yourself into all kinds of crazy things, which then can lead yourself into a panic attack.

All i did when this has happened to me is is i just say to myslef, your high, sit back and enjoy it...... Then i calm myself down and enjoy it!

The un easy feeling after is because you are still thinking about what happened, just relax, put on some good music, or something else to keep your mind busy and stop dwellling on what happened.

Remember if it ever happens again, just say to yourself, well i went through this before, and im still here, then just laugh at yourself and say to yourself, relax stupid, im just stoned!

Could be several things...

I have this feeling after just smoking too much in general. Be it weed or baccy. Also after a huge meal like wrecks said. Also it could be something quite harmless but unnerving:

manual breathing

This means that you get some kind of a small "burp" in the brain (happens to me sometimes while high on Sativas) and you feel like your "automatic breathing" is disabled and you have to breath "by will". If you are high enough you dont even realize that this has happened and it makes breathing feel "clumsy" and strange.

If its anything of that sort... I found out that its much more comfortable to start the evening with a small dose of weed before smoking the big gun. I smoke since 1994 and even tho my overall ceeling is quite nuts (in terms of: A neewbie smoker would split my joints into 4) but Ive also become much much much more sensible to sudden THC rushes.

A thing that always helps me (be it manual breathing or a propper panic attack): Zen Breathing. Google it, its very easy and effective and does not need any religious or mythical interest :)

http://www.mro.org/zmm/teachings/meditation.php

It actually fits perfectly, I felt like I had to 'choose' to breath, like it didn't come naturally.

And recalling both occasions...I think I had a pretty big meal beforehand.

I'll definitely search about Zen Breathing, Thank you.

Always nice to see a pot shot hit the target :)

I just want to stress out (for others too) that Zen Breathing is really a very strong medicine against even the ugliest panic attacks. One should just train it now and then for a couple of minutes so that you can easily snap into the "mode". (Propper Zazen is quite difficult... like "Buddha difficult) Had a bad anxiety disorder like 10 years ago and almost "killed" it with Zazen. If I get a panic attack nowadays once or twice a year its a matter of minutes and I dont need to process it afterwards. Its just... swallowed. :)

Have a nice day mate!

GB

The only way we're going to get to the bottom of this is if you pack up about 30 grams of the SP and express deliver it to my safe addy. For your own sake, do this at your earliest convenience.

Yep for sure u can trust MisterDirt!!!!look at his avatar he is a scientist!!!!!!

he needs to make sure by himself that sugar punch don't contain any chemicals or maybe too high level of thc/cbd! :innocent:

Peace

It happened to me twice so far, I took some hits from my SP, and after a while when I'm super high, I start getting this unpleasant feeling, like I'm having trouble breathing, Its not exactly like choking, but it made me gasp for air a few times.

Has anyone here ever had such an experience before?

I'm a pretty new smoker so I'm not really familiar with smoking related 'problems'.

If I have trouble breathing I just adjust the mask on my oxygen concentrator.