•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
joejusttyped

Joe's Grow

Hello Open Growers, gonna make a thread on my trials with a pack of Extrema fems as I've got my camera working again ;)

My first time with Extrema was one plant, vegged for 32 days, grown organically under a 135w BlackStar 240 LED. Yeilded 1.5oz in a 3 gallon bucket and I was impressed. Being a newer grower I've only harvested shit bud up until now.

So here's my Extrema I have going now at day 17 of 12/12. She's sexed at day 10 and has been showing frost since day 15. Fucking fantastic :D

(This pheno must be different than my first time with Extrema. I vegged this one for 43 days and she's smaller than the first time.. I woulda ran another plant in there if I knew this one would be that much smaller... But on the bright side she looks like a sinch to manicure when the time comes.)

100_0941.jpg

100_0935.jpg

100_0932.jpg

100_0938.jpg

-------

Buds from my first harvest of Extrema:

ExtremaA.jpg

ExtremaB.jpg

Thanks for looking, I'll be documenting my progress with Sannie strains in this thread for now on =)

Looks good and healthy. I've never tried Extrema, but I've heard great things.

Hericules is a pretty big producer of very stony and tasty indica buds. I had a heri pheno that is my all-time favorite indica now. Smooth, mellow taste, with a powerful, enveloping body buzz. You might consider that one if you're looking for higher yields.

Good work!! Did you do a smoke report on extrema? Thanx 4 sharing.

it's always nice to see some heri growing ... gonna check in from time to time.

thanks for letting us have a glimpse at your grows, joe :)

Thanks Misterdirt, I'm going to up my plant count next grow but I'll also check out some Hercules.

Cheers Santero thanks for coming by!

Finlad just for you :)

My first smoke report

=================================================

IDENTIFICATION

Date:

Strain: Extrema (ChemD x Herijuana IBL)

Reviewer: joejusttyped

Breeder: Sannie & Knutsel

Grower: joejusttyped

PHYSICAL EXAMINATION

1. [9] Visual Appeal:Rate the visual appeal of the buds from 1-10 unappealing-excellent.

2. [8] Bud density: Rate the bud density from 1-10 airy-dense. For samples that are not in

their natural state leave this field blank.

3. [8.5] Aroma Rate the aroma from 1-10 repulsive-delightful. Use freshly crumbled bud for

best results.

4. [0] Seed content Rate seed content from 0-10 none-fully seeded.

5. [3wks] Weeks cured If known enter the number of weeks your sample has been cured.

6. Use numbers 1-9 on descriptors that apply to the aroma of freshly broken bud where a

one indicates a subtle presence and 9 indicates a pronounced presence. Delete the existing

space when marking a descriptor in order to maintain the columns in alignment.

Ammonia [ ] Earthy [ ] Licorice [ ] Peach [ ] Berry [ ] Floral [ ] Mango [ ] Pepper [ ]

Blueberry [ ] Fruit [ ] Meat [ ] Petroleum [7] Bubblegum [ ] Grape [ ] Melon [ ] Pine [2]

Cedar [ ] Grapefruit [ ] Menthol [ ] Pineapple [ ] Cherry [ ] Grass/Hay [ ] Mint [ ] Rotten

[ ] Chocolate [ ] Hash [ ] Mold [ ] Skunk [5] Citrus [ ] Iron/Rust [ ] Musk [ ] Spice

[ ] Coconut [ ] Leather [ ] Nutmeg [ ] Strawberry [ ] Coffee [5] Lemon [ ] Orange [ ] Vanilla [ ]

PHYSICAL EXAMINATION COMMENTS:

==================================================

THE SMOKE TEST

Address these questions while smoking.

1. [bUBBLER] Enter instrument used to smoke(eg: papers, bong, vaporizer)

2. [8.5] Taste: Rate your impression of the taste from 1-10 unpleasant-delicious.

3. [6.5] State of dryness: Rate the dryness of the bud from 1-10 wet-dry where 5 is ideal.

4. [9] Smoke ability: Rate the smoke ability of the sample from 1-10 harsh-smooth.

5. [8] Smoke expansion: Rate how the smoke expands in the lungs from 1-10 stable-explodes.

6. Use numbers 1-9 on descriptors that apply to the taste where a one indicates a subtle

presence and a nine indicates a very pronounced presence. Delete the existing space when

marking a descriptor in order to maintain the columns in alignment.

Ammonia [ ] Earthy [ ] Licorice [ ] Peach [ ] Berry [ ] Floral [ ] Mango [ ] Pepper [ ]

Blueberry [ ] Fruit [ ] Meat [ ] Petroleum [5] Bubblegum [ ] Grape [ ] Melon [ ] Pine [ ]

Cedar [ ] Grapefruit [ ] Menthol [ ] Pineapple [ ] Cherry [ ] Grass/Hay [ ] Mint [ ] Rotten [ ]

Chocolate [ ] Hash [ ] Mold [ ] Skunk [7] Citrus [ ] Iron/Rust [ ] Musk [ ] Spice [ ] Coconut [ ]

Leather [ ] Nutmeg [ ] Strawberry [ ] Coffee [4] Lemon [ ]Orange [ ] Vanilla [ ]

SMOKE TEST COMMENTS:

FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS

Address final questions immediately after effects have worn off.

1. [2] Dosage: Enter the number of hits taken to reach desired effects.

2. [2] Effect onset: Rate how quickly the effect hit from 1-10 immediate-major creeper.

3. [4] Sativa influence: Rate the sativa influence detected from 0-10 none-extreme. Sativa

influence is best described as a clear and energetic mental effect.

4. [8] Indica influence: Rate the indica influence detected from 0-10 none-extreme. Indica

influence is best described as a sedative, lethargic or numbing effect that affects the body.

5. [9] Potency: Rate the potency of the sample from 0-10 none-devastating.

6. [Long stone] Duration: Indicate the number of hours the effects lasted.

7. [3] Tolerance build up: Rate how quickly tolerance builds from 0-10 none-rapid. Leave

this field blank if you have not used this sample repeatedly.

8. [9] Overall satisfaction: Rate your overall satisfaction from 1-10 poor-Holy Grail.

9. Judging from the sample alone do you personally consider this

strain a keeper for long term use. Yes [x] No [ ]

MEDICAL SURVEY

Rate the noticable effects on a scale of 1-9 mild-severe. Take care to use the

appropriate column for your response. Delete the existing space when recording your

entry to maintain the columns in alignment. In all cases these casual observations should

not be construed as medical advice.

What effect did the strain have check [P] off if the you got a POSITIVE EFFECT and

check [N] if you had a NEGATIVE EFFECT

[P] Ability to rest or sit still

[P] Anxiety relief

[P] Appetite

[P] Humor perception

[P] Sleep

[P] Pain relief

A little picture update for day 23 of 12/12. She's in need of a feeding, which she will be receiving during her next watering, which should be tomorrow or Saturday. Cheers

100_0942.jpg

100_0943.jpg

100_0952.jpg

100_0948.jpg

100_0944.jpg

Yeah man me and my friends smoked it up incredibly fast after it had a minimal cure. Some of the best stuff I've had in ages.

I've got another seedling that just popped it's head above ground alongside 5 Magic Merlin x Gorilla Grape... Some freebies I got at a different site made up of two Outlaw strains.

Hey Wrecks thanks homie!

LED's are great! Only problem I've had with this unit was when I grew a hybrid with lots of sativa influence, they stalled out and never got passed making bud sites... Which leads me to believe the LED wasn't giving off enough radiant heat to simulate a warmer climate or something along those lines.

:D

I don't know exactly what kind you have, but I think that for the smaller units like mine (90 watt UFO / 45 X 2W) the plants have to be grown like you are doing yours; that is an even spread of buds at the same height. They just don't have the penetration, or carrying distance of the HID's.

I love them too, though. I just need practice at creating that nice flat sea of buds.

I was quick to buy mine (anxious to start growin my own). Bought a unit advertised as a 240w flowering model from Lighthouse Hydro/BlackStar with I believe 2 and 3 watt chipsets...... Well I eventually discovered it's only doing 135w maybe even less because I think the fan wattage is included...

But I've been impressed with the yeilds I'm getting, I eventually wanna get another LED panel when I can spend some cash (I've been looking at growledhydro panels), and a 20gal smart pot so I can throw 3 maybe 4 cuts of Extrema in there to cut down on vegging time and to maximize my space/yeilds.

I'm going to be cloning/keeping a couple moms for the first time with the new seeds I sowed. Excited to see how that goes lol.

I'm just getting into the cloning myself. So far, I've had some anxiety over the process, but when you get clones rooted, it's a very satisfying feeling.

Not to derail your repport, but check out this light. This is the same place I bought my lights from. Not too bad of a price. The solar flare. Looks like they'd have some balls. 5 watt bulbs http://bcledlights.c...products_id=223

What medium are you using to clone with, Wrecks?

I'm going to be keeping small bonsai type mothers of Extrema, Magic Merlin x Gorilla Grape, and Kali Mist (being gifted a norcal cut of KM in the coming weeks. YAY)

I haven't heard of that LED company yet... I've gotten most of my research from these threads on ICMag:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=222390

Extrema is pictured top left, and the other five are Magic Merlin x Gorilla Grape:

eb14b895.jpg

Pictures of the flowering Extrema this Wednesday.

I'm just using peat pellets. I want to get used to them; it will just simplify things for me, as long as I get results.

Yah, you have to research when buying LEDs for sure.

You have some nice sounding strains coming up, have a smooth grow. :)

Hey bumping my thread back from the grave. I will be documenting this round for sure haha

Medium is peat, perlite, vermiculite, and 6-9-0 bone meal with added calcium

These two Extrema are from separate seed. Cloning both, running both again from clone and selecting my keeper.

Flipping them soon

e1.jpg

e2.jpg

e4.jpg

e3.jpg

Cheers

Hey drip how you been man? Thanks for poppin in!

Thinking about a new pack of fems from the shop for my next grow. I was going to run Kali Mist but I need quick returns at the moment. I like scrogging in my small stup so I def want some thing branchy, considerably more yeild than Extrema but without givin up much potency (im a heavy smoker). Narrowed my choices down to Kolossus, Hercules, & Shiva Haze. Any opinions from my fellow open growers?

Joe

I should add that I have only been watering with pH'd tap, no added nutes. All they're getting thus far are weekly foliar feeds of neptune's harvest fish&seaweed (2-3-1) and every other week epsom salts are combined with the neptunes harvest foliar.

Gonna start using Jack's Classic Blossom Booster (10-30-20) after I flip to flower as I have tons of the stuff. I was planning on flipping this weekend, but I may decide to fill the entire screen first instead ;)

Today, Monday, I pruned the lower stuff Don't want that airy shit! Plus the led works best if it doesn't have to try and penetrate that deep.

Tomorrow, tuesday, is watering day.

Wednesday is foliar and picture day. I'm also flipping them then. Something came up I can't give them any longer than that.

Or should I skip the foliar feed and just water with my bloom nutes since I'm flipping them the next day?

Peace

Joe I have been reading up on LED's lately because I need a decent veg light to take on my next journey. I have seen Blackstars done in side-by-side with others and they appear to work quite well.

What is your opinion of them as working in veg only? How do you rate the reliability of the Blackstar from your own personal experience?

I have the 240w flowering model (purchased december 2010) but it really does 135w :\ After this experience I know I would not go with Lighthouse/BlackStar as my first choice again.

Just look at the veg pics I posted three days apart. And now they filled that screen yesterday (the 22nd).

The only problem I have ever had with this light is the fact that I don't think it is capable of flowering sativa/sativa dom strains out completely (I grew a strain that was dominant from the mother, which was the clone Pineapple which is believed to be a SSH pheno)... But since you're only vegging with it that shouldn't be a cause for concern. Penetration isn't the greatest either.

And despite what people say you will bleach your leaves if you keep your LED too close.

www.spectraledgrowlights.com is the new growledhydro brand. When I stop spending all my money on seeds I'm gonna get one of these units lol. Looks like you can create your own panel now on their site, and a discount if yer a mmj patient. Mike is a cool guy, I've exchanged a bunch of emails with him.

I've seen tons of growledhydro journals for photoperiods and autoflowers, and they rock real hard. Little more expensive but you'll actually get the advertised wattage without having to use a Kill-a-Watt device.

growled was one of the side by sides I viewed and it did much better than Blackstar but at higher costs. Reliability is key with me because of shipping costs back to US if the unit takes a dump. I will not buy Chinese model. If growled is reliable enough, it is good. Otherwise I can buy 2 Blackstar and keep one boxed as a back-up. I will only be using for veg so the flowering aspect is moot. I have seen many comments about bleaching and I am glad you mentioned this. From what I have seen, 16-20 inches prevents this. Is this correct? What type of interior temperatures are you seeing with LED?

Thank you for your input and your time.