•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

cowboy_420

Tips for autoflower outdoors

Hello,

I'm interested in growing some Nirvana shortrider for my first grow. I'd plan to grow them outside. I have a few questions.

1- Should I start the plants inside? I've read that transplanting them can cause them harm. However I have a friend who's grown a few outdoor strains (none autoflowering), and he suggests that due to our unpredictable weather to start them inside, as he always does.

2- Where these plant's flower so quickly I'm hesitant to use any chemicals on the plants to chase away pests. Any suggestions on keeping the critters away?

3- Any tips or tricks I should keep in mind?

Any help would be appreciated.

I can only say that if you start them off inside, to harden them off before the big transplant to outdoors. That is, say a week before you are going to put them out, expose them overnights to some cool air. You'll see; they darken up a bit, and just get more robust; tougher looking. It gets them ready to take some cold and wind, etc. when you plant them out.

• Like 1

Transplanting is a little stressful - but nothing that it can't handle.

Everyone transplants, i've never lost a plant to it. Outward growth stops for 2-3 days while the roots settle in and start reaching into the new soil. After that, they're happier and greener than ever.

Wait until the soil is dry in the pot, gently lift the plant out and put it into another pot. Once the plant is in the new pot - water. Water well. The goal is to soften everything up and blur the lines between the dense soil the roots are wrapped around and the looser soil in the pot.

Start them inside, get a fan blowing on them early so they get strong stems and branches and, like wrecks said - get them used to cold air. That's it.

it depends how much light they will be under, but generally speaking, auto flowers do not get very big. The more light early, the more the potential it has to grow something worth your time by the time you go outdoors.

As soon as the plant is 1.5 foot tall, it'll start flowering, so you need to time it in reverse. When do you want them to end? Count back from there. If you only have a small light, get them outdoors earlier, if it's a big light, waiting a bit more could be advantageous.

Pot size - I like to think of it this way: at least 1 gallon for each month the plant will be alive. If you go bigger than that and veg for a good time to fill the pot with roots, you'll be rewarded with higher yield. You can't really go wrong with a 3 gallon smart pot for an auto, that should give the plant ample room to spread.

You can put your seedling right in the big pot too, no need to transplant if you don't have the need / don't want the mess. Nothing to it really.

Plant any regular seeds straight in 12/12, and you will have your "auto-flowering", without the Ruderalis touch who is lowering taste, effect, high and so and so ....

I did experienced lowrider etc etc etc, doesn't worth the effort and cost .... Except if you like low grade stuff with green taste. IMHO ;)

Plant any regular seeds straight in 12/12, and you will have your "auto-flowering", without the Ruderalis touch who is lowering taste, effect, high and so and so ....

I did experienced lowrider etc etc etc, doesn't worth the effort and cost .... Except if you like low grade stuff with green taste. IMHO ;)

Amen.

Seriously. Fem seeds make it that much easier. Unless you are in a part of the world where the weather is good enough to grow all year but the light doesn't permit... Still. 2 big trees outdoors can definitively produce enough smoke for a whole year...

It all depends on what kind of space / light you are going to give them outside.

Are you in the mountains all alone or growing on a balcony?

I'm not in the mountains but in a rural area. The spot I picked to put the plants is in the woods. The area itself while surrounded by small-medium height trees, has only small saplings in it. It is a small open area and recieves lots of light.

You might as well go with some real seeds. The true advantage to ruderalis strains is that they will flower with ANY light schedule. If you are growing during the summer and you don't have city lights poluting your dark cycle - ZERO advantage to the ruderalis strains.

They will smell like weed, bugs and animals will still want to eat it, anyone that walks by would know what it is, auto flower or not. If there is lots of light, even the Autos would get too big to hide very well... unless you plan on starting and ending much earlier than the regular growing season, you might as well just stick with what works, nature will take care of the rest.

Well I guess I effed up then. I ordered the autoflower seeds already (before posting). I just liked the idea of the plants being ready quicker I guess. I will just have to play with them and try to make them work for me I suppose.

I apologise for my lack of knowledge but I take it just starting them outside would be a bad idea? I'm assuming the idea behind starting them inside is to make sure they are strong and healthy before exposing them to the elements?

Thanks for the help

U don't need to apologize to anyone , Try the auto's out and decide for yourself if u like them or not before u write them off altogether. At the same time try growing regular seeds as well under the same conditions And if they work out all the better for you! I am in the same boat ,, shorter season and northern climate , i as well will be putting auto marias 2 , outdoor along with 6 regular plants(not sure of strain) so i hope the reg strains work out well.

all my plants are 1.5 weeks old and starting under a bank of T5 ho's. If u r on the prarries wait till after may long to put outside or u will risk frost or even snow!!! I will be starting a thread soon and will post pics, i hope you do the same as i am very interested in seeing other cannucks outdoor grows!! Peace be with u and happy gardening!!!

By the way , look into manitoba poison from great white north seed co. It is supposed to be bred for our climate and be an early finisher!!

Hey Cowboy 420

I've been growing pot outside for about 30 years... let's see about your questions.

Keeping in mind that there are 3 sub-species of the genus Cannabis: C. sativa, C. indica & C. ruderalis.

C. ruderalis is the sub-species that makes auto-flowering possible. Ruderalis starts flowering based on its age, not changes in the light cycle. Ruderalis can start flowering in as little as 17 days. Ruderalis are usually cross-bred with indicas to keep the THC levels higher and the plants and flowering times short, but they are also crossed with sativas too.

Short Ryder is a ruderalis/indica that can finish flowering in just 44 days, there are many autoflower strains around now...if you have limited space or like to finish extra early then autoflower may be for you.

1. If your not going to grow the plants at your house then be careful when transporting the seedlings to your growspot, make sure they are secure so there's no chance of them getting damaged. The 2 things that get damaged most often during transplanting are the stem and roots. Direct-sowing the seeds at your growspot is another option.

2. There are a few things you can do to keep pests away. 1 you can take hair from your hairbrush or take the hair from brushing your dog(hair holds the scent of what it came from), put it in some old nylons or something and put it around the growing area. You can make a solution with hot peppers and water and spray it around the growing area...nothing will continue to eat your plants once they get that hot pepper in their mouth.

I hope you find this useful.

Good luck with your present and future grow.

DesertGrown

• Like 1

Great questions Cowboy, thank you for the thread. I just recieved some Barney's Blue Mamoth Autos as freebies and have been wanting to try out autos ever since I first saw them. Never wanted to pay for them though,lol.

My hope is that this auto will be done just before the reg strains. There are some strains that have a naturally short critical light period and will flower outdoors sooner than others. I had an OG cross that would start to flower in mid-late July and was done ahead of the rest. FWIW.

Thanks again for the thread, no apologies needed