HPS Mogul Compatibility?

9 replies to this topic

#1 spaceface

Space Cadet Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:I dig good times, smiling faces and good food. I love my family, football, baseball and last but certainly not least, Grade A cannabis.

Posted 26 May 2012 - 07:59 PM

Hello all....whats good?......I'm prepping for my next round. For the longest I've been using a 400 watt hps/MH digital ballast. So I was wondering, if I got a 1000 watt ballast and bulb, could I use the mogul from the 400 watt ballast. I wanna upgrade but cant afford a new light set. So was wondering if this is possible. Or would I need to get a whole new light set. Thanks as always...
I love the women Sannie and e$kob@r send me.....Some fine ass women's....

#2 robogro

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1767 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:37 PM

it should work just fine, I used to run hps 400 mag ballast and a 1000 hps mag ballast and would just switch the plugs at the ballast.

upgraded to a dig this year and it is the same mogul... cheers
Plant a seed..grow some weed
(I'm not an expert grower or a Connoisseur by any means)

robo
Current grows:
Robo's Ducksfoot
Robo's Outdoor Adventure

how to load and post pictures, post # 12 by Vito!

#3 Maverick

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7515 posts
  • Interests:older whiskey
    younger women
    faster horses

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:48 PM

View Postspaceface, on 26 May 2012 - 07:59 PM, said:

So I was wondering, if I got a 1000 watt ballast and bulb, could I use the mogul from the 400 watt ballast.

Spaceface can you clarify what it is that you are wanting to do here? The term mogul denotes the size of the base of the lamp.

#4 spaceface

Space Cadet Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:I dig good times, smiling faces and good food. I love my family, football, baseball and last but certainly not least, Grade A cannabis.

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:39 AM

View PostMaverick, on 26 May 2012 - 08:48 PM, said:

Spaceface can you clarify what it is that you are wanting to do here? The term mogul denotes the size of the base of the lamp.

Sure, I'll try to be a bit more clear. I have a 400 watt switchable future-bright ballast that I have been using for all my grows. I wanted to use the mogul from that 400 watt hps and plug it up to a 1000 watt ballast with a 1000 watt bulb in the mogul. This is what I want to acheive, since I cannot afford $200+ on a 1000 watt kit. So I wanted to just buy a 1000 watt ballast and a bulb and use the wired mogul from the 400 watt since the plugs to the ballast look universal. Can I do this? I hope I'm making a bit more sense....@Robogro....You said you used a mogul from your 400 watt light in a 1000 watt setup???....As always, thanks. Your time and insight's very much appreciated.....

#5 robogro

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1767 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:15 AM

the sunlight is the common plug and if you have a hydrofarm brand you can get a plug adapter

sunlight on the left and hydrofarm on the right

http://www.hydroponics.net/i/131832

I think that is the question that you have... pics always help describe questions...

cheers

Posted Image
Plant a seed..grow some weed
(I'm not an expert grower or a Connoisseur by any means)

robo
Current grows:
Robo's Ducksfoot
Robo's Outdoor Adventure

how to load and post pictures, post # 12 by Vito!

#6 spaceface

Space Cadet Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 11:55 AM

Thanks for the reply.....I tooka picture of what I'm trying to do...Perhaps this will offer a bit more.....I want to hook up the devices as indicated in the picture. Was just wondering if what I want to do is ok with these parts from my 400 watt hps/MH ensemble..As always thanks for your patience and time.....Here is the pic.....Posted Image

#7 Maverick

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7515 posts
    younger women
    faster horses

Posted 27 May 2012 - 01:54 PM

I would say if your male plug on your new ballast has the same configuartion as your present male plug then it will work.The mogul socket part of it will work for any and all mogul based lamps.

#8 spaceface

Space Cadet Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 03:18 PM

Great!....Thanks Maverick. So no need to worry about using a higher watt bulb in the socket then? Also, if the male plug isnt configured for the ballast, I could always cut and re wire with the specific plug type....Correct? lol...Sorry for being so slow on this... :rolleyes:

#9 Maverick

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7515 posts
    younger women
    faster horses

Posted 27 May 2012 - 03:25 PM

Since I don't know what it is you have I can not tell you how to go about wiring it. To answer your question though yes you could do it. A lot of these plugs though are not standardized and are just made for a particular brand.

#10 spaceface

Space Cadet Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:08 PM

Thanks again Maverick, much appreciated. I haven't purchased anything yet. Just wanted to find out beforehand if this was acceptable.