Sugar Punch Germination Help

14 replies to this topic

#1 spaceface

Space Cadet Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:I dig good times, smiling faces and good food. I love my family, football, baseball and last but certainly not least, Grade A cannabis.

Posted 03 June 2012 - 03:22 PM

Hello all.....I'm in the middle of germinating my wears....i bought a fem pack from sannie with the sugar punch ...etc...and some other wears...I only have room for 2 at a time....so i decided to do a sugar punch and a mad scientist...I germ my seeds with the cup method...I dropped my beans on friday night...I usually have all my seeds from Sannie break the shell in a couple days....today when i looked the mad scientist is showing a tap root....but still nada for the sugar punch....should i just leave it for a couple more days??....or should i try to help it?...since i only got two of each seed...im not trying to mess it up....thanks for your time to read and offer your help...as always...thanks...
I love the women Sannie and e$kob@r send me.....Some fine ass women's....

#2 Sacred Plant Warrior

Grow Teacher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1246 posts
  • Interests:mary jane,fine mary jane's,mary jane's with brains, sweet mary jane's

Posted 03 June 2012 - 03:52 PM

as long as it looks healthy leave it be. temps approx 80. should encourage it.

single seed grows are iffy at best though. wish u all the best.

if it's been more then a few days i'd say go ahead and plant it in a sponge pot/rapid rooter for best results.

#3 DesertGrown

Serious Greenthumb

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1879 posts
  • Interests:Good beer, good people, good times and great weed

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:16 PM

Help the germination any way you can. Sacred makes a good point... if it's been soaking for a few days, then I'd go ahead and put the seed in some kind of medium.

There is always the option of cloning to keep your favorite strains going.
CANNABIS will get you through times of NO MONEY better than MONEY will get you through times of NO CANNABIS

#4 Misterdirt

Ward Cleaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4516 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:27 AM

When you say "the cup method," do you mean you soak them in water for a period of time before putting them in soil? If so, 24 hours in plenty for the soak. Once the seed takes in enough water to sink, you want it out of there.

If you want to track the germination more closely, you can put them in moist paper towels, but ever since I started using spongepots, the soaked seed goes directly into the spongepot.

Generally speaking, I find that indica doms germ a little quicker than sativa doms, but often there is no difference. I recently popped one Mad Scientist and one Killing Fields fem. Both germed pretty quickly. In another grow, it took a pure SE Asian sativa seeds about 6-8 days to germ, while all other strains were up and running.
Place no head above your own.
-- Gotama The Buddha

#5 spaceface

Space Cadet Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:I dig good times, smiling faces and good food. I love my family, football, baseball and last but certainly not least, Grade A cannabis.

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:51 AM

Thank you everyone. I appreciate all of your time. I looked this morning and the Sugar Punch is showing a tap root!!! Awesome.....I have a pack of spongepots. I'll be moving them into those sometime today. Again, thanks everyone and, please forgive the ignorance....

#6 thesamyboy

Hustling a perpetual grow into shape

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1681 posts
  • Interests:finding a killer sativa buzz
    feeling that warm indica blanket

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:14 PM

We all went through the stress of not knowing how we can help our babies.

Gentle and slow is best. After a week or so in the spongepots you can move them up to the next size container.
My Perpetual Grow Journal - The One Haze & Purple Jam - Huck Kush, Lady Cane & BlueChem
Seed project in progress - looking for something new and more seeds on the way.
This week is the first Sugar Punch harvest in over 6 months!
Perpetual Speed Ahead

#7 Indican

Grow Teacher

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:36 PM

Next time, just do the sponge pots. Kind of a wasted step to go from a seed cracking to the sponge pots in my opinion...
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." Edgar Allen Poe

#8 thesamyboy

Hustling a perpetual grow into shape

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1681 posts
  • Interests:finding a killer sativa buzz
    feeling that warm indica blanket

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:41 PM

View PostIndican, on 05 June 2012 - 01:36 PM, said:

Next time, just do the sponge pots. Kind of a wasted step to go from a seed cracking to the sponge pots in my opinion...

pretty much... if you soak your spongepots right after you put your dry new seed in the spongepot, the pot holds heavy moisture for 2 -3 and dries out very slowly.

a couple drops after a week in the spongept is all they need... food for thought,
My Perpetual Grow Journal - The One Haze & Purple Jam - Huck Kush, Lady Cane & BlueChem
Seed project in progress - looking for something new and more seeds on the way.
This week is the first Sugar Punch harvest in over 6 months!
Perpetual Speed Ahead

#9 Don Joe

Organic Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • Interests:Growing best strains avaible to human in 21 century,all organic,no pesticides,no funghicides,enjoying in nature and respecting a life.

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:58 AM

Dont have nothing against spongepots,last grow i use them sucessfouly,but i love to put my seeds direct in soil in small pots,this way i have more than 95 % of sucess.Spongepots are really good,specialy because you can put lot of seeds on small space under cfl lamp,i think that is great for sprouting big amounts,i was used 5 packs(20 pieces) just under one double T-8 2 feet lamp-so its 100 plants under two 18 W tube lamps,that is great when you have big grow.

Dubito ergo cogito

#10 weedy

Super Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • Interests:smoking and growing. i also love to ride my bike!!

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:43 AM

i have ghad better luck with soaking sannies beans for 24 hrs before burring in soil!! i was having a ghard time germ any of his seeds!! after posting here they recomeneded me to saok them. after soaking the new batch of seeds they ALL popped!!
dont hide it, divide it

#11 spaceface

Space Cadet Zero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:38 AM

View PostIndican, on 05 June 2012 - 01:36 PM, said:

....Yea...But it's what I'm used to and it's always worked well for me. I like the spongepot. Only had to water once so far. I had to replant the Sugar Punch tho. The taproot pushed itself out of the spongepot..haha..I guess I didn't plant it deep enough. All taken care of now..My Mad Scientist already has it's baby leaves!

#12 Nil

Super Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:34 PM

I have found the soak to be completely unnecessary to germ the seeds from sannie's shop. If they did not sprout, there is a chance that they may have been drowned. Usually, I just plant them in damp coco coir and place them in a plastic dome until they pop(they almost always do in 3-5 days). Here are some pics of a soak I did before this last batch of Killing Fields I am germinating, just to show the process.. I soak them in carbon filtered tap water for 2 hours, or until they sink(5 hours for my last kf f3). I filled my starter trays with a custum organic potting mix that consists of 60% coco coir, 20% sphagnum peat, and 20% hydroton clay + ammendments. They hydroton was removed from the top layer of medium prior to planting. I will post a follow up when these seeds sprout (bottom right).

2 hours of soak, 1 sunken seed.
Posted Image

5 hours of soak, and ready to plant.
Posted Image

I make a shallow indentation with my finger ~1cm deep for each seed. The medium should only feel lightly damp, not saturated-seeds need to breath as well.
Posted Image

now they will be cozy in their new home for the next week or 2
Posted Image

A large plastic storage bin will keep them humid under the cool led veg light.
Posted Image

from left to right, top to bottom, Killing Fields F3, New Blue Diesel, K.F. f3 x Sativa Queen f3, and Anesthesia.
Posted Image
I hope this is helpful to someone.

#13 Nil

Super Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:11 PM

72 hours after I began the soak, and 7/8 have broken the surface.
Posted Image

Posted Image

I will keep them in the starter pots and water with a spray bottle until they develop a second leaf set. They will go into pint-sized containers under the dome for an additional 2 leaf sets, then the final pots for a short veg.

The next day, the last seedling breaks the surface. 8/8 germinate which is generally the standard for any seeds(Sannies) that do not show physical damage.
Posted Image

#14 cHemo

Just Sprouted

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:36 PM

since i started using sannies spongepots ive found it so much less stressful and ive gotten great germ rates going seed to spongepot
Posted Image

#15 barney

Super Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • Interests:growing, smoking, eating & sleeping.

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:40 PM

I know how to fuck them up.
Get impatient and keep adding water until they drownd and rot.
Get impatient and start poking around in the dirt looking for them.
Get impatient and try to help them shed there shell.
BaRnY