•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

twizzle

Nepali Cannabis Preservation Collection Project

Found something interesting that I wanted to share with my fellow opengrowers.

*Credit goes to bodhi over at breedbay for sharing his trip to nepal with us.* :tu

My travelogue of my month long cannabis collections project in nepal nov 2008

501.JPG

5210.JPG

5110.JPG

2shivapurisativa.jpg

11shivapuritrees.jpg

13shivapuritrees.jpg

12shivapuritrees.jpg

langtang-handrub.jpg

491.JPG

nepall has changed alot now that the war is over, tourism is back in full force, moderization and road building is changing the landscape, power is being supplied deep into remote areas, and cheap chinese goods are flooding the market. the people are as friendly as ever, but the charm of a forgotton mountain kingdom is rapidily fading. pollution is reaching critical levels. but if you put in the time and get way up into the mountains all this dissapears. it was a little late for a collections trip, as most plants are harvested around diwali/tihar in late october in nepal. it was a good time for mature seeds as the plants that were left were nice and seeded, ive tried to collect earlier in the season but the seeds were immature and collections from villagers of the seeds from the prior season were usually non viable. many of the trekking areas have been cleaned up for tourism, plants and handrub was much harder to come by this time, my last trip was 2 years ago during the war and was alot different. it seems that commercial sifting from plots outside the kathmandu valley has replaced mountain handrub, and pressed handrub blocks as the common street hashish. most of the best collections came from off the beaten path, in secluded valleys, although there were some stunning plants along some trekking routes. all collections were done with maximum respect for the communities and villagers, no money changed hands, cannabis seeds were traded for heirloom vegetable seeds (10,000 were distributed) and school pens, i know bringing non native veggie seeds into a new ecosystem is a no no but the himalayas are being flooded with cheap chinese hybrid vegetable seed. some collections were not done out of respect or if it was a strange situation. the collections were done in a months time from 4 seperate regions, much more time and energy could be spent in the far east and far north aswell as the everest regions. the amount of hiking really kicked my ass, especially over passes and up mountains, i felt like the indiana jones of seed hunting. this is by no means a deffinative report on nepali cannabis, as much more can be done and much more data collected, these are my own views and collected info, i have a degree in religious anthropology not botany so bear with me. my current map does not show all the names and elevations so this post will be edited as info becomes availible, and more will be added, please feel fee to ask questions. all in all, it was a huge success, and represents one of the most indepth collections to date. i encourage everybody that loves this plant to go on simmillar seed safaris accross the planet to save the landraces and better the future of cannabis preservation and to reinvigorate the genepool.

it seems there was 4 main types of cannabis that i encountered. the classic highland sativa christmass tree, a large tall himalayan hashplant, a hardy highland indica (did not see any, but did do a two day hike straight up a mountain to a place they were spotted), and a lowland jungle sativa. there were a few anomalies, that were maybe hybrids, heirlooms, or extreme phenotypes, and a vast spectrum of color, smell, structure, and effect.

here they are:

village: mulkharka

elevation: 1900m

classification: medium christmas tree shape dense floral clusters mountain sativa

aroma: spicy citrus menthol fading into jasmine/neroli

notes: my nepali friends favorite from the dry samples, smooth, tasty, hits hard and surrounds the head like an inflatetable joy helmet.

1mulkarkarshivapuri.jpg

3mulkarkar2.jpg

village: mulkharka

elevation: 1900m

classification: big bushy foxtail hashplant

aroma: floral, soapy, green

notes: seeds came pre cured by the women of the land, seeds were also collected right off plant by me aswell to insure viability.

7mullkarkar2hp.jpg

5mulkarkar2hp.jpg

6mulkarkar2hp.jpg

8mulkarkar2.jpg

9mulkarkar2.jpg

village: pati bhanjyang

elevation: 1770m

classification: tall tight christmas tree shape mountain sativa

aroma: green, floral, borneol, camphor, spicy.

notes: these came from my favorite shiva baba who lives two days walk into the mountains, we call him happy baba, he loves to garden and says his plants are superior to hashish. spicy mind inspiration, clear, motivational high.

15babbas.jpg

14babbas.jpg

16babbas.jpg

village: upper gyalthun

elevation: 2100m

classification: medium tall christmass tree sativa

aroma: overwhelmingly grapefruit

notes: beautiful golden bud and nice trich formation

19gyaltgrapefruit.jpg

village: ghandruk

elevation: 1940m

classification: giant bushy foxtail hashplant

aroma: sweet lavender, geranium, aftershave.

notes: found this one on the day of the chopdown, not many seeds, biggest hasplant ive ever seen.

22ghandrukgiant.jpg

20ghandrukgiant.jpg

21ghandrukgiant1.jpg

23ghandrukgiant.jpg

25ghandrukgiant.jpg

village: lower chhomrong

elevation: 2170m

classification: bushy sprawly hashplant that even grew along the ground

aroma: green, fuely, oily.

notes: lost to the fine folks at the US customs.

no photo

village: lower chhomrong

elevation: 2100m

classification: stretchy sativa with small tight sparse buds

aroma: honeysuckle

notes: sublime aroma

no photo

village: middle chhomrong

elevation: 2170m

classification: long full red armed christmass tree sativa.

aroma: spicy, soapy

notes: unique branching

371.JPG

village: mileche

elevation: 2000m

classification: big bushy tall classic himalayan hashplant

aroma: watermelon, tea rose.

notes: totally classic himalayan watermelon hashplant

30.jpg

291.jpg

381.JPG

village: mileche

elevation: 2000m

classification: classic highland mountain sativa

aroma: himalayan mountain flowers

notes: classic, big, tight, full, christmass tree, nepali highland mountain sativa.

271.jpg

282.jpg

village: chuile

elevation: 2500m

classification: tall mountain sativa

aroma: floral green

notes: pheno 1 tight sparse floral clusters

354.jpg

aroma: floral green

notes: pheno 2 tighter sparse floral clusters, the green one in the photo.

361.JPG

classification: very tall purple mountain sativa

aroma: grape bubblgum

notes: big, purple, crystally, and super grape bubblegum smell

3411.jpg

3210.jpg

3312.JPG

village: upper chuile

aroma: pure spicy

notes: most of the plant was gone but managed to collect some seeds, this was my nepali friends fav plant structure wise from earlier in the season but it was chopped before we got back to it.

31toolatespicygiant.jpg

village: banthanti

elevation: 2500m?

classification: possible highland indica

aroma: n/a

notes: very large seeds simmilar to deep chunk seeds, these plants had been done long before we arrived, village woman had kept them safe.

no photo

village: banthanti

elevation: 2500m?

classification: tall wispy mountain sativa

aroma: my guide says orange (i had the flu during this time so i could not smell)

notes: very wispy, nice crystals, low yeild.

26wispysats.jpg

village: chitre

elevation: 2200m?

classification: tall purple christmass tree mountain sativa

aroma: purple, grape, nag champa, burgandy, rich urkle like aroma.

notes: very simmilar to the chuile purple, except smaller seeds and stature, and a deeper more sublime aroma.

4110.JPG

40.JPG

4210.JPG

village: chitre

elevation: 2200m?

classification: medium tall fat leafy colas, classic breeders highland sativa

aroma: spicy, hazy, kitchen herbs, menthol, floral

notes: smells just like a bangi haze pheno i have, and looks like some phenos of satori.

392.JPG

village: upper ulleri

elevation: 2100

classification: small hashplant christmas tree sat hybrid

aroma: skunky, catpiss

notes: small with large pistils

4310.JPG

village: sauraha

elevation: 150m

classification: full on lowland terrai jungle sativa

aroma: temple ball, soapy, green, spice

notes: this plant is extremely stable and almost indestructible, i have had 5 females in 12oz cups in my mom room for over a year, they dont seem to care if theres no water, light, root space, pm, etc... they are prone to spider mites though, but they dont impact the plant that much. i have also bushmastered (pgr) them into bonsai sativas. should be a unique breeding tool.

471.JPG

461.JPG

4510.JPG

25 totall collections......

PC180027.JPG

disclaimer: i busted this out as fast as i could so misspellings, typos, etc... will be still present, i will edit the post as time goes on and add scanned maps, more photos etc....

himalayan_quality-control.jpg

• Like 4

yeah, that's bodhi alright ... this man deserves hugs every minute of his life.

awesome thread. thank you for sharing this great quest for nepali-genetics.

:)

Beautifoul pictures Twizzle,after this i will like to walk on hills of Himalaya and have personal quest for MJ after i was look at this pics.

Some of my friends was in Nepal and India mountain part,very enjoyable to see "fatherland" of cannabis plant and all this cannabis what grows truely natural in his ancient enviroment.

Regards,DJ :wave:

Great trip and a great mission. Mad props to bodhi :)

Greetz

BB

thank you 4twizzle.those purple mountain sativas look flame.

i would love to find seeds from in the wild and true natural state.too bad the highland indica was chopped ,i really want to see some indicas from the far east

Makes me want to go there. Very interesting, thanks for putting this up.

Dang, epic thread dude. I know it's another breeder but I think bohdi's doing us all a favor by selecting the best of the best and spreading the love. Unlike GHS who on their travels, hump the shit out of the first plants they see...

I'm liking what I see out of annapurna/chitra. The tall purps looks like something I'd dig.

Thanks for putting this up 4t, I don't visit the other site you mentioned so I wouldn't have known otherwise.

Peace

RM

always wanted to go to nepal. love the pics. its on the to do list. i think just getting back to nature great. f/ck hotel b1sh1t.

wow!!! the first i've read into this! Love bodhi's sunshine daydream, nl5 noof cross, super silver strawberry lotus, sunshine 3 and others I will definitely be keepin my eyes out for this!!

Thanks for posting this here, 4 twizzle. Great to see it's still possible to do this sort of thing.

Makes me want to go there.

me too and I wuld stay :)

thanks for the travelogue photos are great it is almost like being there

all the best and be safe

Dequelo

Awesome, thanks for sharing your travels. Looks like you had a great time, beautiful pics.

Just to be clear... This travelogue belongs to bodhi from bodhi seeds. I posted it here for anyone who may have missed it.

From my original post:

*Credit goes to bodhi over at breedbay for sharing his trip to nepal with us.* :tu

Just to be clear... This travelogue belongs to bodhi from bodhi seeds. I posted it here for anyone who may have missed it.

From my original post:

Damn bohdi seeds has some flame!

I did not know that sativa was from there. I thought indicas was the normal landrace at that latitude.Thank You 4Twizzle !

Barney: I know nothing about all these varieties, but the "highland Nepalese" that many breeders use is a sativa that tends to add *electricity* to a cross. The one cross I've grown with highland Nepalese in it almost made my head explode the first time I tried it. I was abstaining from weed for about 2 months, when I took a taste, and in a fit of paranoia, I almost drove myself to the emergency room.

Ya gotta love an "almost drove myself to the emergency room" kind of weed.

I was fortunate to get 11 Goji OG from Bodhi, will be popping those soon.

Thanks for sharing 4twizzle the splendid Bodhi travel... i always want to have some nepali strain but the choice between landrace or the real seeds company offer is difficult, need to select them as all landrace, shit i know Bluehemp and Reeferman pure Nepal sativa are off now, Bodhi seeds also at this moment..? We can only grab crosses from Mandala, the Serious bubblegum, perhaps ACE/Cannabiogen have again some...

p.s: I have seen that Hemcy.com NL seeds have an Haze on seedfinder but it's only wroten Nepal origins... WTF ?

Haze is normally Mex x Col / India x Thaï not ? I know that some real sativa can being related with haze but only Nepali i doubt... a mistake ?

http://fr.seedfinder...Hemcy_Genetics/

maybe a nepali/haze haze crossing related with

http://fr.seedfinder...Haze/ACE_Seeds/

Yvory clone also look like a nice Nepal crosses with Jack Herer...

http://fr.seedfinder...e_Only_Strains/

Edited by hiwatt