•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

BioHazardChronic

What is a safe amount of hydrogen peroxide to add to a hydro reservoir?

I usually use a splash of 3% hydrogen peroxide in my 20 gal. reservoir, but I am unsure of how much I could add per gal for optimal results. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Peace

I use 23% at a rate of 60ml per 20g. I also use Hygrozyme which is imho much more important to your reservoir than h202 but both work really well at keeping things clean and healthy.

• Like 1

I used to use h2o2, and it worked fine for me, but algae always comes back and ide have to stay on top of it every 3-4 days. Ive had much better results with a root tea, which i make using a gallon of water, about a teaspoon of molasses, about a teaspoon of mycorrizae powder, a cap or two of aquashield, and 2 caps of nirvana bloom booster (also derived from worm castings, anything with wc is good though). you have to let it sit for 1-2 days with a bubbler and airstone in it. this allows time for the mycos and beneficial bacteria to breed and multiply, making the products you use last longer.

after adding it to the res the roots just take off, every time, first long like spaghetti, than really dense and hairy. the mycos and benes eat up the bad algae, until they eventually die and browning starts to come back in a week or two, much longer than the h2o2 lasts, and the algae comes back much slower. its easy to just add more tea at this point. also helps with cloning (root stimulation, i dont use cloning hormones). got some brewing right now :)

props to a guy named heisenberg for the general recipe.

• Like 1

I have seen peroxide used on a dew dvd grow guides but have never met a fellow grower who has used it , H202 i have seen used.

Also some feeds warn against using peroxide as it reacts with the nutes.

Can you advise why you use it ( keeping roots white ? )

As to alge in the rez , is this not due to light getting to the rez and medium ?

h2o2 is hydrogen peroxide. and green algae yes is from light, but there are also brown algae, bacteria, slime, and root rot which are commonly solved with h2o2, but i prefer the tea.

h2o2 is hydrogen peroxide. and green algae yes is from light, but there are also brown algae, bacteria, slime, and root rot which are commonly solved with h2o2, but i prefer the tea.

I never knew H202 was peroxide , thanks for the knowledge .

It's water with an extra oxygen molecule :)

Personally I would never introduce any living organisms to a hydro system but that's just my preference. The Grozyme is mad expensive ($40 CAD per liter) but it does exactly what grofasta's tea does but very cleanly and works in conjunction with H2O2 which has other benefits having an extra oxygen molecule at all :)

Whatever you do, make sure your res is aerated and if possible make it turbulent.

Peace

RM

Right on, thanks for all the info! Grofasta, thanks for the recipe for the tea. Now, do u use the entire gallon after its made? Or do u use half and top off the gallon with molasses and water to allow the beneficials to continue to reproduce?

I use 1 ml per gal of 35% H2O2 every week. Keeps the ressy sterile.

RM, you haven't had any issues using the the Hygrozyme and H2O2 together? When I used the hygrozyme in conjuction with H2O2 I got some slime build up. Not pythium or root rot or anything, but a weird clear colored slime in the res. tuck to the walls of the res and buckets, but did not effect the plants at all. It was just a PITA to clean.

I go with the dead res. Keep it clean, keep it sterile.

No weirdness at all Useless, I started out using just H202 but ended up with the root snot and Grozyme killed that shit off in 3 days and it was just think white roots from then on. What nutes are you using? I use 2 of the 3 parts of Flora and PK 13-14 for week 5-7.

Cheers,

RM

What would you guys say the best product/method is for keeping the res clean while the plants are growing and never having to worry about any of those problems?

You can never say never.......

h2o2 is the product your after.

But to be honest......... Cleanliness ....good storage of notes and good water go along way also don't let your res get too hot turbulence in your tank helps more than aerating normally . Most have NO need for h2o2 except for if an issue arises.

20 years or so and I very very very rarely use it. Did just recently though to kill of bad bacteria I got from anareobic soil from flooding.

Grtz HC :P

GH Flora Series aka GH 3 part. But I only noticed a problem in the RDWC, not my EnF tables. Maybe that has something to do with it.

I use just the Micro and Bloom parts (Lucas ratio, my own EC) in DWC but not recirc. so I'm not sure what the issue was Useless, maybe the extra turbulence?

honestly, i would never go back from my tea. its very easy to keep the res clean and the roots stimulated with only 2-3 applications per grow. it is very important though that you stop using h2o2 when you start the tea, but i would expect the same from hygrozyme, or anything with mycorrizae, which is what helps the roots the most. Also the res smells nice, a really fresh earthy smell, maybe a little sweet from the molasses. with h2o2 i could only smell the slime starting to build up every other day.

i use the tea with chemical ferts, AN sensi 2 part, with no problems. thinking about getting canna nutrients next time though to compare.

Don't use 3%. It's a waste of time. It's too weak to be effective. If you have 35% you should use 8 ml per gal. If 50% it should be around 5-6 ml. Be careful w the strong stuff, it'll burn you. Good luck.

Tiger

• Like 2