•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

BNJ

Dark smell, dark taste?

Hello folks,

I've often read or heard description of strains having a "dark smell" or "dark taste".

It's a concept I have a hard time to understand, as to me, smells and tastes are not related to colors (in my mind at least).

So, I'd love to hear what some of you would describe as "dark".

I've already discussed the matter with serious growers, but I still can't really get it...so any input might help me understand that concept of "dark".

Go on good folks, I'm all ears.

Peace out & take care.

Bnj

Ps: Keep in mind that english isn't my native language, so I might be a bit slow to understand some things. Please, bear with me. :)

I compare "dark" flavors and smells just like you could imagine...dark. Coffee, tanned leather, chocolate/cocoa, meat, rotting fruit, anise/licorice, earthiness, mold...etc. These are examples of what I would consider being dark smells and flavors.

To just say "dark" flavor or smell in a smoke report leaves this open for the readers interpretation which doesn't really fair well, your case in point. I hope that sheds some light on your question mate.

And your English is absolutely fine BNJ, no issues reading it as you intended it.

Dark Chocolate smells dark compared to Milk Chocolate, Esspresso Coffee smells dark compared to Tea...

I think 'dark' is sort of like 'rich', a deep rich smell but not neccesasarily stinky.

Thants how i interpret it?

Thanks for your input, gentlemen.

Rev', I get your way of thinking (except maybe earthiness and mold, I'd say those deserve their own category)...those first things you mentionned are mostly dark colored .

And yet, earthiness is another concept I have hard time with, but maybe it's better to let that for another topic (or a bit later, after I've digested those infos), the "dark" stuff is already confusing me enough...damn I need a joint!

The strange thing is I love earthy, moldy, roasted, incense tastes/smells, but for exemple, I hate anise, licorise and tea.

And thanks about my english, but I meant I might have a hard time understanding you guys, so I might sometimes ask you to reformulate with other words (with easier vocab or grammar maybe), but no problems up to now.

Foodstuffs, you're loosing me a bit with the different chocolates and coffee and tea . I must admit I'm not a connoisseur regarding chocolate, I eat some, but only milk choco candies stuff, and not that often...and I never drink coffee nor tea, (no hot drinks in general, I just don't like that).

Smudger, one can never be sure, but I'd say no (especially if it's a dark one).

To me, dark chocolate means bitterness, while milk chocolate means sweetness but as I said, I'm a total ignorant about chocolate. I also think I don't really have the smell of chocolate. The taste, no problem, I can define, but the smell is another thing.

If I get what you guys say, you would consider, for example, Casey Jones, Big Buddah's Cheese, Bubba Kush, ...as dark? And would you consider old "incensey" hazes (Old Neville, Haze A5,...) as dark too?

So yes, as Rev said, it kinda leaves a huge door opened to interpretation. I think my biggest trouble understanding the "dark" concept is because of the various descriptions I've received... I love half as much as I hate the other half, how can that be?

Dammit, I think "dark" is meant to stay a dark concept in my mind! :|

Thanks again for your replies, guys, really appreciated. :)

inner_bournville_LRG.jpg

So dark and rich it could be an arabian prince kissing the lips of a saraha princess.

yum yum.

I fluked into a bag of good pot the other day that could be described in just such a way.

It smells like composted berries and cocoa. In a joint, you get a burntish cocoa / coffee taste. Very nice, Buddy was calling it Blue Romulan, and I think it really is Bluebery X Romulan. Lucky me. :)

Thanks guys!

Seems like earthy, coffee, chocolate/cocoa and rotten fruits are coming back the most often. I think I'm starting to get it.

Foodstuffs, that's exactly the problem, nothing tastes dark to me, nor smells dark. I mean, coffee tastes like...coffee, chocolate like...you get my drift,... :)

Now, thinking about it, the common trait between dark chocolate, coffee, maybe rotten fruits (sorry, never tried :D ), to me is bitterness. Maybe there are other similarities between them, but bitterness is the first that comes to my mind.

So, could "dark" means "bitter" plus something else? Like some earthiness maybe?

Wrecks' s Blue Romulan is a good example, the bitterness of cocoa and earthiness of composted berries.

What do you think?

Again, thanks all for the brainstorming (Keep feeding the monster in my mind...He just loves that! :yummy: )

Peace out & take care.

Bnj

This is a good question. Also think about what wouldn't be 'dark': maybe lemony and fruity scents and flavors without any heavier, thicker flavors and scents.

I'd call e$ko's chocolate cheese 'dark', as well as the scent I'm getting from Mad Scientist, which is extremely skunky and hashy.

I'm coming to think that "dark" is a kind of a rag-bag word used when one has a hard time describing the differents aromas and flavors composing the smell and taste. Rev' made a good point about this.

It seems that everytime dark is used, it is to mean a combination of 2 or 3 differents aromas/flavs, at least. And this brings me lots more questions... :head_hurts_kr:

Foodstuffs, you're confusing me even more :lol: :P .

Misterdirt, that was the second question coming to my mind:"WTF is dark? And dark as opposed to what?" :).

I haven't had much luck with the Chocolate Cheese, only 2 girls and not really tasty enough for me. And Mad scientist I never tried, though I'm currently doing some Mad Kush and 1 pheno is definitely Mad Sci, but smell and taste might be tweaked by the Bubba, dunno yet, still 1 or 2 weeks to go.

Smudger, That's why I previously asked about the old Hazes, wich have a wonderful musty smell/taste, bringing me images of old churches, old cellars, or "your ol'grandma's wardrobe", if you know what I mean :D. Thanks to Mav' for teaching me that musty was the word to put on all those images (bless our elders ^_^ ).

Wrecks, sorry for not coming back to you earlier, my mind must have skipped this :oeps...

The burntish cocoa/coffee smell might be what I call the "roasted" smell (you can find that in the Casey Jones cut, if you know it).

I've also had plants with a "smoked" smell (in e$ko's old Lavender Haze. He's also described that smell in the SourDiesel Riri cut) and I've often read of "meaty" smells/tastes on the web...but I digress (blame it on my last Casey Jones joint :D ).

Thanks to all you guys, for helping me to educate my tastebuds.

Geez, I'm wasted. :spliff:

Peace out & take care.

Bnj

BNJ, i get the feeling you can't see the forest for the trees. :)

I mean, you are possibly overthinking it?

It is more of a descriptive term, rather than an actual flavour or smell. As in, Red is linked to Heat and Blue is linked to Cold.

I mean, you are possibly overthinking it?

Maybe. That's typically me!

A lot of answers in this thread are describing "dark" in relation to foods. I would agree,but, I equate dark tastes in food to savory. Savory is warm soup, casseroles, meats etc. On the other end of the spectrum you have "light". I equate that to salads, fruits etc. As an example, I have 4 killing fields outside. Three of them are "light smelling", that is to say that they are very fruity smelling. The light smelling ones are the green pheno. The other one is a purple pheno, It has a fruity smell, but, it also has a strong undertone of some type of fuel, like gas or kerosene. To me the purple pheno is a combination of the two.

Hey TMG,

Do you mean savory as umami (new word I've learned a few days ago, thanks to this thread and wiki :) )? This would go with the smoked, roasted and meaty description. Maybe we should add "stewed" for the soup & alikes.

Thanks for your input.

Peace out & take care.

Bnj

the purple KF is a good example

sweet alone is more mouth watering

sweet and dark is usually more subtle but have more hidden flavor

the fuel smell is a heavier smell, you have to take a deeper smell to get the full range of fuel scent. SNIFFFFFFFFFF...pfffffffff

where sweet is more life flowers or fuits, small smells... sniff sniff... sniff sniff.

toasted bread is a perfect example how how the same smell can turn dark

the subtle distinctions of yiest, flour, seeds are gone and replaced by a single more overwhelming smell... that's how i feel about it

Thanks for your input, TSB.

Unfortunately, when I grew the KF, I ended up with a green and a pink pheno, never tried the purple one. The pink was like some sour berries dipped in something fuel-like, very unique, but because of the berry taste, I'd put it in the "light" category.

I get you on the toasted bread smell. I think this one would go well with the smoked and roasted too.

That reminds me it's been quite a long time I've had good bread in my area...all the ol'bakers are gone now, it's mostly all industrial pre-baked crap...a shame.

But, sorry for the lil'rant :rolleyes: .

And I'd say sweet & dark are the mouth watering ones for me :yummy: .

Peace out & take care.

Bnj