•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

robogro

DIY Ice Cream machine Hash Tumbler

OK, I have all the parts and I will show you how I made a cheap Hash tumbler for less than $70 us. If you already have an ice cream machine and some of the tools then the price will be lower.

BE WARNED: THIS IS NOT GOING TO THE FAIR TO WIN A PRIZE!!

but it gets the job done on the cheap. Also if you are not good with tools and such, then do not try this, as with anything you are converting, you break it - you buy it.....

Just buy one at http://www.okief.com/ they make a very good tumbler and bho oil extractor

Be careful working with tools, sharp edges,and anything electrical.

Ice cream machine $45 (new)

screen from DickBlick $12

Garlic press $13

Hash--> pricless

Tools needed:

nibbler - or something to cut the openings out of aluminum

drill - to start hole removal and for braces

hacksaw - to cut the braces

sandpaper - or something to remove the sharp edges

rivet tool

razor knife

screw driver

tape measure

pencil

screen material -

Materials needed:

ice cream machine (electric) - can be found a garage sales

2 screw clamps

some metal duct tape (my favorite grow tool of all times)

4 feet of 1/8 inch X 3/4 inch angle from hardware store

small box of rivets - I used 1/8 inch

Overview:

You need to remove a large part of the inside metal part that would hold the ice cream mix. I drilled a hole and used a nibbler.(sounds like fun) http://www.cyberguys.com and search on nibbler.

I attached 4 support posts with rivet to make the drum more solid and it will help with the tumble effect.

Wrap the outside with screen material, http://www.dickblick.com .

MONOFIL POLYST FABRC WHT NO 140 or 110.

I used a screw clamp at the top and bottom and some aluminum duct tape for the seam on the side.

Prepare to TUMBLE:

Cut and remove stems/seeds, place in the freezer for 30 min. This will help sift the smaller parts (keif) and keep the screen from tearing. Fill the inside part about 3/4 full, I added 3-5 old computer mouse balls to help in the process. Put the lid on, fasten the motor on, lay the ice cream machine on its side.

I use 2 overlapping pieces of computer paper to catch the kief on.

Note: put a couple of rags or small towels on each side to keep it from rolling.

Turn it on and it will start spinning and before you know if the computer paper will change color as the kief falls thru the screen to the paper.

Quality of Product:

The smaller the opening of the screen, the better quality hash/kief.

The bigger the opening of the screen, the more leaf material and other stuff will fall thru.

You can smoke the kief or press it for storage (like the Holidays, Birthdays, etc)

I use plants that I had outdoor and maybe was not the best. You know, the stuff that bugs eat.... or the plant that went to seed, etc.

Ice Cream Maker

gallery_6278_3177_67133.jpg

parts

drum bottom - centers the drum when locked

tools

gallery_6278_3177_9415.jpg

gallery_6278_3177_72059.jpg

misc tools/parts

gallery_6278_3177_109297.jpg

measure the distance around the outside of the inside drum: this was 19 inches

check and recheck figures:

19" = 3.5 opening and 1.25" for posts * 4(I'm calling the area left uncut between the openings as posts) I cut a cardboard template 3.5" * 7" for the opening as this will leave enough room for the clamps and fastening the screen to the outside of the drum.

I put a mark on a ruler for the distance between openings.

gallery_6278_3177_133285.jpg

gallery_6278_3177_76797.jpg

gallery_6278_3177_124474.jpg

Drill pilot holes in the corners of each area that are to be removed.

I used this nibbler tool - really sucks as it takes forever.. but with the light weight aluminum I was afraid to use any power tools. Anyone have a better way, please let me know...

The tools cut a 1/8 inch giblet every time..

gallery_6278_3177_50083.jpg

gallery_6278_3177_49308.jpg

giblits

gallery_6278_3177_88374.jpg

nibble, nibble, nibble, nibble, nibble, nibble, nibble, nibble, nibble, nibble, nibble, nibble

and nibble, nibble, nibble, nibble, nibble, nibble, nibble, nibble, nibble, nibble, nibble, nibble

I decided to add the braces before cutting the rest of the openings as the drum is better than the first one I made but still kinda weak.

Braces drilled and riveted.

gallery_6278_3177_106691.jpg

gallery_6278_3177_14896.jpg

gallery_6278_3177_38460.jpg

Rough cut, still needs the sharp edges removed as not to rip the screen.

Screen, clamps, metal tape, scissors, razor knife

Measure and cut the screen, I cut a little long on the top and bottom, to be trimmed after the screen is clamped on and used to pull the screen tight.

gallery_6278_3177_22237.jpg

screen and parts

gallery_6278_3177_117376.jpg

measure and cut

gallery_6278_3177_104436.jpg

• Like 2

tape and stretch, stretch, stretch and tape

gallery_6278_3177_76739.jpg

gallery_6278_3177_74819.jpg

gallery_6278_3177_50203.jpg

stretch and tape at a post.

clamp and tighten, but not so much that you can not pull to tighten the screen, I clamped the bottom tight and left the top a little loose so I could pull the screen tight. Then make sure to tighten both clamps when finished

use a razor knife to lightly cut on the outside of the top and bottom screw clamps to remove the excess

gallery_6278_3177_85804.jpg

cut and trim

gallery_6278_3177_112974.jpg

over the hole on the top lid from the inside, I used metal duct tape

assembled and top look

another top look

gallery_6278_3177_72008.jpg

gallery_6278_3177_32374.jpg

gallery_6278_3177_12487.jpg

CAUTION: these air vents might blow your keif, use something like the metal duct tape to make a deflector.

FINISHED....... ok to post comments etc...

Post me with feedback, comments, criticism, or questions.

enjoy

gallery_6278_3177_66338.jpg

gallery_6278_3177_138161.jpg

I forgot some steps and will do an update.

First you need to cover the little indent in the drum, I used some metal duct tape. ...

Second you will need to make a gasket. I used the round gasket in a 5 gal bucket lid. cut to fit.

EDIT: Third you need to put the clamp, that is close to the lid, down enough to allow for the cover to fit.

Both of these will keep the trim out of the collection area..

I found that out , the hard way, when firing the new tumbler up. And I also discovered that I used a very fine screen, 140 TPI or threads per inch. The fewer the threads the larger the opening. I went ahead and ran it for an hour and got some nice, almost blond, keif. I will make another run on this same trim with the new screen when it gets here...

Smoked some, coughed, took another hit, coughed, repeat, repeat, repeat... happy0034.gif

I usually use 110 TPI but I could not find it and ordered some 106 TPI. All they had was orange for photo stuff, the 110 is backordered. The 110 size usually gives me quite the pile of keif and this 140 gives great quality but small quantity.

Posted from okeif

110lpi Poly-mono: This screen produces the most product. A decent product is produced but does have a few pistles, cystolith hairs, and stalks

125lpi Poly-mono: This screen is a happy medium between quantity and quality. less product produced than a 110lpi and less contaminants. This screen is recommended when only doing a single screening

140lpi Poly-mono: This screen produces the least amount of product of the poly drums, but the quality is superb with no contaminants

gasket ring from a five gallon pail

gallery_6278_3177_89885.jpg

freeze the trim first about 30 min

gallery_6278_3177_153010.jpg

add the mouse balls lol

gallery_6278_3177_148440.jpg

gallery_6278_3177_149592.jpg

hash ........................

gallery_6278_3177_22772.jpg

• Like 6

Wooot big thanks for sharing and the work you did.

It will be use here @ Vito`s home.

/Vito

Robogro

Who makes that kief press thing you're using? Or better yet where on the net can I find it...

:wave: Cristalin... thanks for the comments.

:wave: RM ... back at you dude, it's all about sharing..

:wave: Vito... glad you like it

:wave: aws1... I'm old but I remember posting my first one at OverGrow about a month before it went dark...whatever year that was

I think I got the idea from other members posts and homemade tumblers.

:wave: BSGFs...it is a garlic press, you need to cut some plastic circles for the top and bottom...

http://www.amazon.com/Chefn-102-057-009-Garlic-Machine-X2/dp/B004I4H958/ref=sr_1_154?ie=UTF8&qid=1346619544&sr=8-154&keywords=Garlic+Press

https://www.opengrow...hashkeif-press/

I do not spend a lot of time at hydro stores as you can find similar items in hardware stores, boating shops, and the home depot types :wave:

• Like 1

It may not win at the county fair but your contraption would take 1st prize at the science fair!

....imagining what Robo could do with a food processor....

:wave: bobbrioo ... thanks a 1,000,000 ... food processor??? I'll have to think on that one a bit.. lol

:wave: LaVeiEnRose ... thank you.. RPM is about 15, but I have a speed reducer attached to bring it down to maybe 8 RPM

:wave: Dr Bonez ... thank you sir...

:wave: Fuzz420 ... cheers...

:wave: Inkog77.... much thanks...

cold here today and that means good conditions to convert some 2010 buds to hash

buds

gallery_6278_2877_13205.jpg

tumbler

gallery_6278_2877_37200.jpg

var speed controller

gallery_6278_2877_188164.jpg

keif

gallery_6278_2877_298437.jpg

hours later....a jar of keif, ready to press

If you look close, you can see the different colors layered in the jar from different strains

gallery_6278_2877_69526.jpg

ran across some buds that I'm holding out for a BHO oil run

gallery_6278_2877_19760.jpg

hash pipe by Barney ...sweet

gallery_6278_2877_69063.jpg

• Like 2

Wow man...cool stuff. People amaze me with shit they come up with. But not to rain on ur parade but have you seen Frenchys washing machine method? On youtube. The machines cost roughly $70 online but there is no adapting whatsoever. Im just givin ya another idea!

Wow man...cool stuff. People amaze me with shit they come up with. But not to rain on ur parade but have you seen Frenchys washing machine method? On youtube. The machines cost roughly $70 online but there is no adapting whatsoever. Im just givin ya another idea!

• Like 3

Teee heheeee! This is the most Monty Python DIY aproach to hasj Ive ever seen. The Ministry Of Silly Extracts does aprove! Would like to give this 5 likes in a row.

GREAT! I vote for a Sticky!

• Like 1

:wave: Thank you Amhazed...sharing is caring 29.gif

:wave: Thanks Indican ...bits and pieces, made the first one about the time bags were getting popular and dry sift brings back memories from the 70's hash we used to get in Germany , I prefer the Gumby method for water extraction 15.gif

:wave: Thanks Grobi ... "The Ministry Of Silly Extracts", I like it 35.gif

• Like 2

@Saxo - very nice! I have a Ministry of SIlly Walks wallclock that never ceases to amuse me when I look at the time,

@Robogrow - years ago, when I was into firearms, I used to reload a lot of my own ammo. I bought a big-ass school-surplus rock tumbler that I would use to clean and polish all my brass before I'd size, trim and reload it. It's been sitting in a corner of the storage area for years now - but after seeing this post, I'm gonna dig that thing out and repurpose it into a kief machine! I've got tons of stainless steel micro-screen for the sifting (I was a model-builder at one time in the past) and it has an external motor and pulley system with a rheostat for speed control, so all I need is a new drum and a little bit of DIY work to create a catcher/collector for the sifted product. I'm always up for a new project, so this is just perfect.

Kudos!

BB

• Like 2