•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
blueskywalker

Coco thread

hello

Are there anybody who grow on coco?

My purpose with the thread that anyone can ask anything about coco, sort of FAQ, noobie questions, especially in my case :)

What are your common mistakes in coco grows, what tips do you have?

I have bricks from Bionova, GHE nutrients, I plan to follow GratefulHead dosages with FloraMicro & Bloom. Also use Blumat on larger pots.

Im puzzled that coco brick is buffered to ph 5.8, my water is ph 8, does it change ph in the medium slowly to more alkaline? Do I need ph adjuster liquid?

Indican, could you make an input? do you no need ph reading because you got the regimen sorted out before?

I end the post with useful advice of Wazzup (I admit I did mistake by over water by believing that coco can handle it )

Coco gives good results, but do use a quality coco, not the cheap stuff that is not properly buffered. Many growers use coco too wet, especially at the start when the plant is still small. I would always recommend to use it with very moderate water, and a flush or two when the plants are really established in bloom when using mineral nutrients.

I used coco in my soil mixed in and now running straight coco with CNS17 nutes

Flush your coco once before you use to eliminate the X factor in unclean coco

I've never checked PH coming in or out, same as when I'm in soil - so i'm of no help there

It's better to try and stay a little on the dry side at the beginning then too wet

dry they will grow and develop roots,

wet, you can stunt them pretty easy

give them about a week and a half before you start with nutes

coco can absorb 1 watering's worth of nutrients in my experience, so you can start a little before the seedlings are showing second set of leaves

I got in trouble when 4 weeks into veg I added bacto / mycos to a pot that had been getting nutes regularly

within 2-3 days, I got heavy leaf burn from too much nutes - the bacteria had released at once the nutes that were stored inert

flushed once with plain water

next time she needed, watered with half dose of nutes

she is better now

be careful with the blumats if you are feeding through them, it's easy to overdo it

once they are established, it's true you can't overwater unless you are pouring constantly

I am in hempy so I allow for runoff every watering so that salts don't build up

otherwise, nothing to it, you can use any nutes, any container

am i to late to stick my head in the thread

i do like to use coco but not even 50% in my soil organis grows....would to go more on coco but shit my self just incase ph swings

grtz carper :tu

The Canna coco and canna nutes are all Ive used. Once I used it the first time, the shit was for me. As far as overwatering, kinda go by the soil rule. Go by weight. Dry coco is really light. Soaked coco is very heavy. Smart pots are great with coco. The roots love thecoco, but also the continuous growing of the roots in the smartpots. Im stoned right now, so I hope this makes sense

Guest UfoDisclosure

"Will it change something if the pH is 8 instead of 5.8" YES it will. it definetely will change your yield in hydro dude

like 250g/sqm instead of 400! so yeah it can change a lof of things...

Coco bricks like Canna COGR (best currently) need a buffer agent(Canna). It's not buffering the pH as you would think, it just replaces the missing elements (vitamins,micro nutriments..) You will probabaly need it.

For the watering periodicity, I would advice you every 5 days. But just check the driness of the substrate..

I don't really know actually. For much drier coco coir like COGR, it's between 1 and 3 times a day...

many useful advices here ! cool!

however I saw mold forming on top surface of small pots. They were placed beside window, not the best place but that strain was not important. I think it was overwatered and I saw how such long time it takes to get dry, yikes. :)

What is best way to prevent mold? add something on the surface? Itd be different matter if it was placed under HPS. Those pots will be placed under T5 in growbox.

I have been trying to do sub's super soil on the cheap by starting with stagreen soil from Lowes(2 cubic feet for $6).

Indican noted my mix could be better with less peet & more coco coir.

I went back & saw sub recomends Roots organic as a base which is coir.(1.5 cubic feet for $50 online)

I paid 10 bucks for 2 bags of the roots organic at my local hydro store

it's easy to use, not bad stuff at all. I've got a few plants in it, quite happy it seems.

I have used coco (botanicare loose in bag) for about 6 year's now and love it.I have done big pot's watered 1 time to run off per day,and nowi use small pot's watered 3 time's per day.You have to get a good root system established first then you can treat it almost like hydro. For what it is worth I also use H&G full line of coco nute's including drip clean,and I do ph to 5.7-6.0 alway's and add cal mag.I hope this help's....

I have a little question what I have been wondering for a while now.

Should I go with only coco/perlite mix, or would adding soil in to the mix give any benefits like better ph-buffering abilities or something like that? Maybe less cal mag problems?

Or will added soil just make the mix worse?

I do have canna coco with canna nutrients (A+B & PK13/14).

Thank you for helping me :)