•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

BeachBud

Glycerin Infusion

Glycerin Infusion

Like it's cousin Green Dragon, a glycerin infusion is a concentration by extraction. I made and used Green Dragon before switching to a glycerin infusion. I made the change for two reasons. First was the palatability factor. Except for the occasional Scotch I am not much of a drinker and the Everclear I used for extraction proved too potent a concoction even when diluted in coffee or other drinks. Second was the hazard potential from mixing alcohol and heat. I know this process can be relatively safe but it takes only one screw-up to ruin your day when messing with volatile fumes.

So, I investigated Glycerin as an alternative. It is a clear, odorless and slightly sweet substance with the consistancy of syrup. It is non-toxic, non-flamable and reasonably priced. I get it a half gallon at a time for $26.00. Like alcohol, glycerin is able to dissolve and absord THC and its various compounds. The resulting product is a powerful and effective medicine for treating pain and other issues.

This stuff literally changed my life. The past 2 years that I have been using it have been the most stable and productive since my injury 15 years ago. The following process results in an end product that I administer in 1/2 teaspoon doses every four hours. It works as well and often better than any of the prescription med's I've tried over the years. With variables such as potency and the level of relief required, your mileage may vary.

What You Need

1 oz. of your best bud

Old style canning jar w/ sealable lid

8 fluid oz. (1 cup) Vegatable Glycerin

Cheese cloth and a hand held strainer

A glass or stainless bowl

A potato ricer or other type press unless you have strong young hands.

A variable temp. crock pot & a thermometer

A dark colored bottle large enough to hold the finished product.

The Process

Start by breaking up any large buds to get a consistant size. The bud then needs to be decarboxylated (decarbed) so that the active ingredients are converted into their useful form. This means heating the bud at about 250 degrees F. for a lenght of time. I've found 10-15 minutes to be adequate for an ounce.

While the weed is decarbing, fill the crock pot about half full of hot water, and turn it on high heat. Measure up a cup of glycerin and pour it into the canning jar.

When the bud is finished decarbing and has cooled enough to work with it needs to be chopped into a finer consistancy. A "Little Oscar" chopper works great but any such thing will do. No need to pulverize it, just a course chop will do.

gallery_7905_3421_104388.jpg gallery_7905_3421_114281.jpg

When the bud is all chopped up pour it into the canning jar with the cup of glycerin and mix it well. Close and seal the lid and place the jar in the crock pot. Make sure the water level covers the jar contents so that it will be evenly heated.

gallery_7905_3421_100447.jpg gallery_7905_3421_11523.jpg gallery_7905_3421_93919.jpg

If you have a remote thermometer it is useful to monitor the temperature. Most crock pots are set at useable temps but it's a good idea to know what they are. Mine runs at about 185 F on low which is just about right so I put the lid on the crock pot, set it to low and let it cook away. Try to keep the temperature over 160 F but under 200 F. Every few hours I take the jar out of the hot water with the aid of a metal hook and swoosh the contents around to insure even heating.

gallery_7905_3421_19892.jpg

Let it cook this way for 24 hours and it will be ready. When the time is up, remove the jar from the crock pot and let it cool a little. We want it to be cool enough to work with but still hot enough to strain well.

Use a hand held strainer lined with 2 layers of cheescloth over a bowl and pour the contents of the jar into it. Pull the cheese cloth up around the mixture and twist the top to encase the contents.

gallery_7905_3421_30404.jpg

gallery_7905_3421_43099.jpg

Squeeze the cheese cloth ball in a potato ricer or with gloved hands until as much infused glycerin as possible is extracted.

gallery_7905_3421_3018.jpg gallery_7905_3421_59453.jpg

Let the infused glycerin cool to room temperature and then transfer it into a dark colored bottle for storage in the refrigerator.

gallery_7905_3421_84400.jpg gallery_7905_3421_1503.jpg

You'll now have a potent and effective medicine and I emplore you to treat it as one. To be most effective one needs to maintain a consistant serum level. This requires that you adjust the dose to an effective level and then try to maintain that level. Peaks and valleys are no good. Start with a small dose and work your way up to what works for you and remember that when it comes to pain relief one must usually compromise between a dose that helps the pain and one that leaves you functional. Allow a few days at a certain dose before adjusting it up or down.

When it comes to dosing I highly recommend making your own gelcaps. It's a simple process and makes dosing on the go so much easier.

gallery_7905_3421_124681.jpg

That's it. A simple process that results in a superior medicine. I hope you'll find it as life changing as I have. :yummy:

• Like 23

Excellent info i was just considering doing this for my brother since alcohol isnt an option and would dissolve the gelcaps i think, and here it is all in a nice concise process .

Thanks.

thanks BB,

A man after my own heart. straight simple explanation with good photos too. can't beat that imho. Namaste

p.s. i'll get around to trying that method for one way to dose myself when the time comes, as well as any med patients i might care for in the future..

excellent write up and method, very impressed with it- I use everclear myself cause its cheap and easy to get in hand but this beats all-

Thanks guys. Glad I could contribute to this great site.

Stay tuned for more recipe's that help what ailes ya. What a wonderful weed! B)

• Thanks 1

Great thread and pics! I have made this before and it was wonderful, the glycerin has a really nice sweet flavor to it naturally. When I made mine I didn't heat it though, just stuck it up in a dark cupboard and turned it once a week for a couple months. Your method is way faster, lol! I like it. I think I might just make some this week.

I don't use alcohol because I am an alcoholic who has been very happy without booze for almost three years now. I have known patients who have diabetes that find this a usable alternative.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

Great thread and pics! I have made this before and it was wonderful, the glycerin has a really nice sweet flavor to it naturally. When I made mine I didn't heat it though, just stuck it up in a dark cupboard and turned it once a week for a couple months. Your method is way faster, lol! I like it. I think I might just make some this week.

I don't use alcohol because I am an alcoholic who has been very happy without booze for almost three years now. I have known patients who have diabetes that find this a usable alternative.

Thanks again!

Happy you found it helpful soopy. It really is a great medicine with so many benefits.

Congrats on 3 years sober. :tu

i used to make oil the about 15 years ago just for cooking, ii get older and so dont smoke as much as i would like, try to keept the lung in tact.

i love the idea to be able to do this,, ie make some tablets, for storage, so me and my mrs can take, both for medicine or for fun.

would love to see more threads on opengrow about this topics. perhaps ink need to get off his arse and make some. a triple comb of all.

i keep you post when i motivate myself.

thanks again, i am gonna re read this.

peace and best wish :wave:

i used to make oil the about 15 years ago just for cooking, ii get older and so dont smoke as much as i would like, try to keept the lung in tact.

i love the idea to be able to do this,, ie make some tablets, for storage, so me and my mrs can take, both for medicine or for fun.

would love to see more threads on opengrow about this topics. perhaps ink need to get off his arse and make some. a triple comb of all.

i keep you post when i motivate myself.

thanks again, i am gonna re read this.

peace and best wish :wave:

I hear what you say about the lungs. I've tried to use the vape more and the pipe less when I do smoke. Between the glycerin and cannabutter I find I smoke way less than I use to.

If you make pills with this infused glycerin it is best to keep them in the cooler as it tends to ooze out if the pills get too warm. Good luck!

Thank you, BeachBud, this topic might be handy, someday.

Very nice contribution to the site.

Peace out & take care.

Bnj

The bud then needs to be decarboxylated (decarbed) so that the active ingredients are converted into their useful form.

By decarboxylating you change the cannabinoid acids to cannabinoids. I wonder if the 24 hour heating would not be sufficient for that. Furthermore you describe it as converting to their active form. This is not necessary true. Though decarboxylated they become psychoactive, many people prefer the acids for medicine as they are not psychoactive and have different properties. Other than that you will lose a lot of the terpenes by heating. They are very volatile.

@ soopy & BNJ - Thanks guys :)

By decarboxylating you change the cannabinoid acids to cannabinoids. I wonder if the 24 hour heating would not be sufficient for that. Furthermore you describe it as converting to their active form. This is not necessary true. Though decarboxylated they become psychoactive, many people prefer the acids for medicine as they are not psychoactive and have different properties. Other than that you will lose a lot of the terpenes by heating. They are very volatile.

I have found better results for my pain with decarbed weed. The heating process in the crock pot does not reach a high enough temperature to properly decarb so I do it before hand. Some maladies do indeed respond better to uncarbed weed.

are they best kept the fridge once made.?

I keep mine in the fridge but I don't know if you have to.

Great article, I've been looking for a good oil recipe --thanks BB.

The only thing i might do different is not de-carb the buds and put them straight to the jar and crock-pot

btw -- glad you're on these forums :)

does the glycerin cause any Gastrointestinal side effects? I guess I'm thinking of glycerin used in suppositories or maybe in stool softners??? I suppose it's fine, but figured I'd ask :).

Also, if people don't want to take good bud, but trim would this method work for making this product too?

thx

does the glycerin cause any Gastrointestinal side effects? I guess I'm thinking of glycerin used in suppositories or maybe in stool softners??? I suppose it's fine, but figured I'd ask :).

Also, if people don't want to take good bud, but trim would this method work for making this product too?

thx

Vegetable glycerine is used in many things like makeup, soap and lotions among others. I have not had any gastro trouble at all and I have a tempermental tummy. The amount taken is rather small at less than a tablespoon a day.

You can use any grade of weed with this method but the potency will vary with quantity/grade used.

@ fresh249 - yw. it's nice to be here :)

thx man I figured it would be ok, since you and I assume other's have used it. I'm like the "murphy's law" candidate for club president though so just wanted to check.

Very informative thread. I Wii try this at my next harvest for an ecig tincture :)

hey guys, so i was currious about this so i made myself some.

gallery_1004_3517_115368.jpg

gallery_1004_3517_186710.jpg

gallery_1004_3517_59068.jpg

gallery_1004_3517_121939.jpg

now i need some guinea pigs to try it on them hehe and by guinea pigs i mean some friends of mine that will tell me if it works or not

as im taking canna vacation to lower my tollerance.

phuuu

• Like 4

careful phuu, depending on your starting material this stuff can be pretty potent. If good bud was used @ an ounce per cup of glycerine I would'nt try more than a 1/2 teaspoon or so until effects are known. No fun to overdue it with this stuff.

Really appreciate the info. Been wondering about how the glycerin\ process was different than the everclear. Very much appreciate it. Thx!