Jump to content
  •     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

FoolOnTheHill

The adventures of Captain Redbeard.

Recommended Posts

On 12/27/2018 at 11:21 AM, Maria sanchez said:

 

@FoolOnTheHill

...For example, taking the autos in F2 and back crossing them into the photo Malawi mother?

This should (?) get a ratio of 1:1 auto:semi-auto, but get the Malawi genetics up to 75%, rather than 50%.

Anyway, love what you're doing. Please tag me when these African girls get mature, thanks!

 

Only in the f1 the malawi genetics are 50% in all cases..

In the next generation, the chromosomes recombine, and many different phenotypes appear.

Genes that are on different chromosomes assort independently!

The Malawi genetics are not 50% present (or dominant) in all plant of the f2 generation.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, FoolOnTheHill said:

Only in the f1 the malawi genetics are 50% in all cases..

In the next generation, the chromosomes recombine, and many different phenotypes appear.

Genes that are on different chromosomes assort independently!

The Malawi genetics are not 50% present (or dominant) in all plant of the f2 generation.

Yes, strictly speaking, that is true.

I guess it's like when a lot of seed banks rate seeds as X % sativa and X % indica, because of parentage.

But in reality, it's kind of meaningless, as after multiple gens of breeding, it's not just a simple division game.

Whatever the case, I think these African autos of yours are really amazing!!

I'm living in the tropics these days, and have considered long flowering / high tropical sativa auto strains.

(I still would prefer autos, because where I plan to plant may have some light leakage...)

Would also ideally then make some of my own seeds, not a full breeding program like yours, though.

But just would prefer some high tropical sativa regular auto seeds, rather than needing to get to F2 crossing with photos...

Sorry, rambling here...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cannabis has nine pairs of autosome chromesomes, and these pairs segregate during the meiosis, and assort independently.

So in the f2, there are many combinations possible. The further development of the line depends heavily on the selection out of these f2's.

But for now, I don't have much to chose from.

20 hours ago, Maria sanchez said:

...prefer some high tropical sativa regular auto seeds, rather than needing to get to F2 crossing with photos...

You need to get to the f3-stage to get them all to autoflower. That's what I hope to achieve, here.

The next 20 seeds are in soil, now.

To be continued...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, FoolOnTheHill said:

Cannabis has nine pairs of autosome chromesomes, and these pairs segregate during the meiosis, and assort independently.

So in the f2, there are many combinations possible. The further development of the line depends heavily on the selection out of these f2's.

But for now, I don't have much to chose from.

You need to get to the f3-stage to get them all to autoflower. That's what I hope to achieve, here.

The next 20 seeds are in soil, now.

To be continued...

That would be perfect!

But my present living situation, hard to even get a grow going... very changing situation...

Hoping to try an urban guerilla garden in the next month or two. Photos and autos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/27/2018 at 11:21 AM, Maria sanchez said:

@FoolOnTheHill ...

back crossing them into the photo Malawi mother?

 

It is common practice to mention the female parent first, Maria.

It's AutoZilla x MalawiGold F2, that implies that MalawiGold was the grandfather.

I still have 50 f1-seeds of the cross, so I can make more f2 seeds if I need to.

Or I can try to save pollen of the f2 male and use it on an f1 female.

That will double the chances of finding auto's in the offspring.

 

So far, I found one male and one female in the second group.

large.DSC_3931amz.JPG.755acfc5d4684e31f4

Visible pistils at the 5th and 6th node. And three leafs per node.

The male shows two balls at the fourth node, a few at the fifth node, and a bunch at the 6th node on the picture below.

large.DSC_3925amz.JPG.7ae3739ae6163cd3f2

I started eliminating the rest of the group, I still have six plants left that don't show anything while they are making their 7th or 8th node, so not much hope left gor finding any auto's in them. But the next group will be above soil in a few days.

To be continued...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, FoolOnTheHill said:

It is common practice to mention the female parent first, Maria.

It's AutoZilla x MalawiGold F2, that implies that MalawiGold was the grandfather.

I still have 50 f1-seeds of the cross, so I can make more f2 seeds if I need to.

Or I can try to save pollen of the f2 male and use it on an f1 female.

That will double the chances of finding auto's in the offspring.

 

So far, I found one male and one female in the second group.

large.DSC_3931amz.JPG.755acfc5d4684e31f4

Visible pistils at the 5th and 6th node. And three leafs per node.

The male shows two balls at the fourth node, a few at the fifth node, and a bunch at the 6th node on the picture below.

large.DSC_3925amz.JPG.7ae3739ae6163cd3f2

I started eliminating the rest of the group, I still have six plants left that don't show anything while they are making their 7th or 8th node, so not much hope left gor finding any auto's in them. But the next group will be above soil in a few days.

To be continued...

Great. Learning a lot from your threads and journals!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tapped the above flower a few times with a spoon, and collected it's first pollen.

large.DSC_3936pollen.JPG.9c2538e7c0e60b7

And I pollinated the autoflowering female of the first group with it.

By rubbing a few buds onto the spoon.

I hope to collect much more pollen soon, and will freeze some, to use on the autoflowering plants of the next two groups.

 

Meanwhile, the seedlings of the third group are above soil. I have 16 young plants, this time.

To be continued...

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AutoZilla x MalawiGold F2 autoflowering female #1:

large.DSC_3942amz.JPG.2876618effa5ecc7de

It looks and smells more like a "Zilla".

large.DSC_3943amz.JPG.2e616250c3129f1045

Some of it's lower buds have been pollinated yesterday, I hope it's not too late.

The biggest plant of group one that didn't autoflower, looks much more like the Malzilla. Below are two pictures of it.

large.1394625244_DSC_3939amzphotop.JPG.2

It's 80 cm high, but it would have been much taller if I had not tied the main bud down.

large.DSC_3940amzphotop.JPG.f8dd070f2409

It's in a five liter pot, and drinks half a liter of water each day. It looks very healthy. And I keep a clone of it in veg.

Below is a picture of AutoZilla x MalawiGold F2 autoflowering female #2.

large.1387426318_DSC_3948amzgroup2.JPG.2

It's whorled Phyllotax started at the second node, and is still visible at the top.

To be continued...

 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking damn good FOTH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The AutoZilla x MalawiGold F2 autoflowering male #1 is in a "temporary environment", a place with no fan, under an 18 watt fluorecent tube. I used a piece of wire to tie the top of it horizontally, and placed a small dish under it.

large.902967108_DSC_3951amzmale.JPG.5355

I freeze small doses of it, folded in baking paper, then in a ziplock.

large.DSC_3953amzpollen.JPG.7b869c84c904

AutoZilla x MalawiGold F2 autoflowering female #2 has been pollinated at the second and third node. Below a picture of nodes #3 and 4.

large.DSC_3954amz.JPG.0da01747aaccfb8dcf

As you can see, the pistils at the third node have wilted, so I think the fertilisation has happened.

 

There were no more fresh pistils growing at the top of AutoZilla x MalawiGold F2 autoflowering female #1. So I cut it off.

large.DSC_3957amz.JPG.0805583339448f9ae2

The bottom half of the plant is still in the flower cabin, and has been moved closer to the lamp. I think I can see the beginning of seeds in it's pollinated buds.

To be continued...

 

 

 

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Froth bro this thread just keeps getting better and better all the time 

peace 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×