•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

hiwatt

Difference between 230V, 400V and 400V EL bulbs for 600W electronic ballast

Hello all the peep,

Just searching info on 400V 600W bulbs for Electronic ballast, which's the best bulbs and where is the best place for buying them by unity (or two) around Benelux and EU ?

I have found this site proposing Osram and Philips, is it a safe site ? their shipping change a lot between country of destination...

http://www.hortiligh...-grow-lamp.html Philips

http://www.hortiligh...l?brand=7&cat=9 Osram

There are also this one more expensive on the bulbs less on the fees... http://www.dutch-hea...ower-p-901.html

Some others sites have better offers but for a bulk of 12 bulbs, so who need 600W 400V EL bulbs..? lol

Thanks by advance for the answer.

Kind regards

Hiwatt

Hiwatt.....

400v bulbs go in 400v units that's it. 230v bulbs will be destroyed in a 400v proline.

Go with the greenpower IMO...great bulb.

Grtz HC

I was also thinking that standard 230V bulb can't work with a pro-line ballast, still want ordering a small bulk of this bulbs.

Why not the Osram Hillcrest please ? Please can you argumenting just a few, u use to grow with a pro-line ?

Does Gavita Pro-line equiped by the Philips Greenvision gear ?

I have only seen Osram CL isn't dimmable whereas the Philips is, even if a 400V ballast, all brand confused, is not dimmable...

I have found interesting price for 6 osram , I hesitate to take this bulk or 2 Philips to reduce fee.

Hiwatt, choose Philips, Gavita develop with their Bulbs, even they test all i guess, so don't take the risk to reinvent a square wheel for 2 bucks more or less ;)

Anyway, good price at your site, the DE 400V 1kw is @89€, a pretty good price . Never heard about the reliability of this shop.

LaV... this is not 2€ but 4€ for the Electronic version of Philips, not only the price I'll like banning Philips cause they make always new bulb name (just letters in fact) with just a little bit of difference... too much reference kill the product... same on their professional catalog all their bulbs produced aren't listed !!!

http://www.mozaiclig...ndex.html#/568/ how much pages then references ??? :lol:

here you can read they've made new 400V 600W Electronic Greenpower "PLUS" now at 1190 microMol (2100uMol for the Pro 1000W) http://www.lighting....1000w-cg-en.pdf look page 4

Philips indication for photon flux (PAR) aren't the same than Hortilight both for 600W 400V and 600W 400V EL :wacko:

look for example on the hortilight they list the 400V: http://www.hortiligh...?netspanning=17

- Philips 600W at 1120 microMol =36€

- Philips 600W EL at the same 1120 microMol =38€

- Osram CL1150 microMol =34€

- GE LU 1150 microMol =37€

So I have always been very confused with Philips... that's why I have loved the Sylvania when I was using standard 400W and 600W both HPS & MH.

p.s: I will like to know if Gavita has made test with the "new" bulbs and seen difference ?

Edited by hiwatt

Hiwatt i say greenpower as that's what gavita developed with as Vie said.

yes I've had the proline 600 and the 1000DE....also their digi star ballasts and now the 250 IR

Imo the difference of 30microMol in bulbs isn't something your going to notice at all. Stick with what gavita recommend and supply with their units. You just spent X hundred euro on a quality ballast so why quibble over 4 euro. Personally unless you've got a number of ballasts I wouldn't buy in bulk........ By the time you get round to using the other bulbs you might be looking to upgrade anyway.

I have only seen Osram CL isn't dimmable whereas the Philips is, even if a 400V ballast, all brand confused, is not dimmable...

Why are you taking about dimming as the proline 600 400v ballast does not dim anyway only the 1000 is dimmable

Grtz HC

... Actual uMol achieved by this bulb..... Philips SON-T Greenpower 600w 400v 1170 uMol  which IS better than the osram at 1150. All be it an insignificant detail

Hillcrest... again I just don't like all the ref Philips have made for their lightning application, if finally some uMol (20or40) aren't so important why they have done their argument against lumens when they showed firstly the 400V bulbs and ballasts ? although I'll certainly order one of this Phillips 400V but I just try to understand things...

Also one other of my questions is about difference between 400V 600W and 400V 600W EL by Philips, the others brand don't specifying this..?

And another one is I believe that Gavita, when Philips has showed the new "PLUS" bulbs and ballasts, has turned a bit on GE...

Also I don't like really much Philips despite it was French and Dutch cause they have always tried to manage the bulb market (the first company), after the 2nd World War they have gathered in Geneva (CH) all the concurrence of bulb brands, in order to make a pact for limiting bulbs life, then all the electronic car etc. did the same things in EU... just for info if not known. lol

Despite all this detail, I can assure that 400V lamps are the best lamps we can have, driven by electronics it shows the best light ever seen...

(EL)Electronic .........the lamp which is not EL can be used on (EM)electromagnet ....

That's a guess but I assume it's right.

In the Gavita Pro line, what supefied me the most in fact is the reflector efficiency ... Looks close to some kind of cheap shit, in fact it is a killer hood :)

Anyway as HC spoke about IR, do you know Hillcrest if the IR line of Gavita HPS is dimmable or not ? (the 600W or 400W i mean, not a lot to dim with a 250w, even iot could be helpfull too)

Just for the record, some pictures of the 1000W proline close to 600W Digistar.

As a big fan of Gavita since i'm using them, i don't want also to be understood as a "brand sucker", so i find some "defection" in the engineering. :lol:

Nor the Proline or the Digistar have the plate where the wattage is written in the good position. I explain myself :

I'm around 2m tall, and so are our ceiling, for most of them. Gavita Ballasts should be in a vertical mount. So, if i want to dim, i will access and see the button of the ballast from the top, i'm over the ballast who stand around 150cm high. For the 1000W Proline, in this case where it is written "output power" should be at the place of the "600/660/725/850/1000/1150", exactly as it is with the 600W. But the 600W should have the letters written on the other sense :lol:

gallery_992_3377_45535.jpg

gallery_992_3377_289778.jpg

I know i know, but what do you expect from a man who is smoking his all sunday top notch Opengrow weeds ? :P

• Like 1

I'm a bit less confused now same if Philips doesn't speak of the PLUS bulbs in the last sheet from 26th Mars 2013 they have done, but they speak now of increased 600W 480V bulbs at more than 1200 uMol...

to reapeat Philips 600W 400V bulbs existing:

- Greenpower 600W 400V for magnetic ballast =1120 uMOl

- Greenpower 600W 400W EL 1SL for Electronic =1120 uMol

- Greenpower 600W 400V EL MOGUL 1SL =1150 uMol

- Greenpower 600W 400V EL PLUS MOGUL =1190 uMol

From this:

http://download.p4c....917_ffs_aen.pdf

http://www.usa.ecat....28151119207_na/

http://www.ecat.ligh...28152219207_na/

Impossible to find the best Philips 600W 400V EL Greenpower PLUS MOGUL 1SL on the web, can just have the 600W 400V EL I guess...

The bulbs above you mention do actually achieve a greater uMol reading in practice than their literature says :)

Sure if you ask Whazzup hell tell you the retailer close to you for whatever lamp you want.

Grtz HC

I know that since september 2012 all Philipps bulb in Gavita bundle are Plus one.

This is not mention on the packaging as i think all produce GP bulbs now a plus one. To be confirm, but i read this somewhere sometime last year before i bought my proline and wanted to know which bulb was delivered :)

• Like 1

I noticed this Vie as did my local shop as I had to return my 1000DE bulb due to an issue.

Ok, here is the readers digest version:

Pro-line is all made for 400V lamps, not for 230. This is because the 400V lamps are superior to the 230V lamps. As we only use electronic ballasts, you need the EL version (electronic) of these lamps. Using the standard 400V will not work (well, not for too long anyway) due to the fact that the EL lamp is specifically designed to cope with the high frequency of the matching ballast. The pro-line is not for any lamp. We develop them specifically for a type of lamp to assure output power, lifetime, stability (no acoustic resonance) and light maintenance. So in fact the ballast and lamp are made for each other.

The Philips lamps just have the highest output too.

It is correct that Philips is improving its lamps continuously. If you read olders posts you see that I talk about 1850 Umol from the 1000W lamp, then we went to 1950 enad now with the new plus verson we are at 2100.

The 600W EL did 1150, now 1190 in the plus version. That's much more than the 230V lamp.

DigiStar is made for 230V elecronic lamps. As there aren't many on the market we brought our own Enhanced HPS lamp, which is a horti lamp suitable for high frequency.

Then about the IR lamp: Some of the old school growers (like Sannie and Fotografe) want nothing else, even after trying other lamps. They are 230V lamps (though we also have a 400V lamp on trial which performs really well!). It has never become a very popular lamp and that's a pity. It is a great concept and it delivers an extremely wide field of light, which assures a great penetration, especially when you use a few. The heat spread is also great and there is no more heat building up under the hood either, as it has none. You never need to replace the reflector as it is in the lamp, in fact you don't use a reflector but a drip guard to prevent water dripping on the hot lamp.

Great thing is also that your reflector is always in optimal condition being on the inside of the glass, which also attributes to the efficiency of the lamp, in combination with the fact that all light goes through the glass once (the reflector is on the inside of the lamp).

That's about it!

• Like 3

Thx dude, you just forget an important point for me, is the IR line dimmable ? And suitable to the Digistar 600W @400W and 600W and 660W ?. Either with or without dimm, does she is in safety ? In fact i guess i can gain temperature and penetration in my DP90 where the hood give too much hot spots, that was the purpose of my interrogation, and you understood why :)

Regarding the IR lamp I have Vie.......

I coupled it with an older Philips Magnetic ballast, I did this as I was incouraged by a certain person to go old school and show that given the Skillz ......... Quality and yield can be achieved without the latest gadgets ;)

( currently not in use as no growing, but won't be long )

Its a Nice addition to my new project I'm planning .... Along with DIY LEDs..... Yes Hillcrest said LEDs lol ....... Don't worry I'm not on the turn from HPS simply bored at the moment and a company I came across (IS LED) is advising me in regards to the latest LEDs and drivers available on the market ....no way would I buy a complete ready made hyped up led grow light.

Grtz HC

OOoOO 400v IR ?............show me show me :)

I going to LED also in a short time. For testing purpose, an OG friend, one who get amazing results with very low wattage, try to make a LED business so i'll give him a help by showing some test i'll do with his product ;)

If i can, it will be soon, but even i don't want to speak about, i maybe should need to move for safety reason in the next 15 days because the owner want to change all windows, electricity etc, that's a bad bad bad bad news for me, as i rent since over a quarter century and he never came inside since. Between the architect, workers, decision etc, it could last a year or over a year ...

Yep renting can pose some risks.

Yes, the IR is safe to dim and yes, it works on the DigiStar :)

There is nothing wrong with using a good magnetic ballast.Ok, they are hot and less efficient than an electronic ballast, but many give more output (given that you have the correct mains voltage!) than an electronic ballast at 100% . You can't boort them any further of course, and the electronic ballast does its work regardless of mains voltage fluctuations, but it is still something that you can consider. You can buy a good high quality 600W magnetic ballast for under € 100 easily.

Merci Môssieur ;)

I'll order a 600W IR when i'll find my MC # in few minutes (you know, i've made a "blonde topic", where i was close to ask last month if it was meaning Infra Red :lol:

>
I going to LED also in a short time.

For veg' and clone of course, let's stay serious in the growing :)