•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
MostlyMe

Starting a pure sativa outdoors in The Netherlands?

I would really love to grow a pure sativa and experience its high, but at my skill level it would be a big gamble with high stakes (seeds, electricity costs) to try indoor. However, I just thought of a possible workaround: start the grow outdoors in the Dutch summer and finish it indoors when the autumn kicks in. What do you guys think, any chance of success with that? Or would the plants be impossible to contain? Or perhaps they would die/hermie when transferred inside?

(For those who don't know the Dutch summers, we're talking night-day 12-22 C on average, usually quite wet, but I have a porch roof).

Hey there Mostly,

I grow outdoors every summer here in Canada and I finish my girls outside as well. The trick is to go 12/12 outside. I use lumber tarps to cover every night and remove them every morning It means you have to be home everyday but it is well worth it. Last summer I grew 10 girls 8 of them were KF x Kolossus and two god-bud. I ended up with around 8 pounds of great bud.Sativas take longer so the sooner you can go 12/12 the better. I do an outdoor scrog with a frame to carry the tarps (lumber tarps are free and they are black on one side, I've been doing this for six or seven years now and I always am able to finish before the hard frosts of our Canadian fall. I also have a small kerosene heater which I will use under my tarps if it looks like frost overnight. I see no reson you can't do the same. BBB

Hi BBB,

Unfortunately my job is incompatible with that way of working. I get home late quite frequently. I figured if I could get a sativa to start flowering outside (13,5 hours of light at September 1, 11,5 hours of light at September 30), I might reduce or avoid the stretch of the flip and actually have something manageable for my tent.

a greenhouse is awesome 2 man,,,i'm dutch and i am pro sativa when it comes to dutch outdoor growing anyway!

I would LOVE a greenhouse! But I am constricted to a balcony for the foreseeable future. The thing I got going for me however is that the building blocks the last light of the day, so I am hoping my plants will experience darkness a little earlier than sundown.

You know, the way this global warming thing is going Sativa's in the Ned may be coming sooner than you think. ;)

You should be able to take an outdoor plant inside without problems. Going the other way can be troublesome. The main thing I'd worry about is keeping pests out of my grow room.

I don't think the plant would suddenly start stretching if it's well into flower when you put it inside. You'll know if it's too tall.

• Like 1

Hunt up some Ethiopian Highland. Its flower cycle for me is 70-85 days. If you like a medium yielding plant that gets only about 1.5-2 metres tall you cannot beat these. The flavor is a bubblegumish/good pipe tobacco like.

Got mine a long time ago.(Nailed two packs on a good deal and grew one out.) So long ago in fact that ,recent germination was only 50 percent with 12 seeds. Growing them out for this year. Going to make seeds with them too. Letting these die out would be a crime.

• Like 1

If you move from outside to indoors I would be sure to hit the girls with a good spray of water from the hose and then I would hit them with a good shot of neem oil. This should reduce the introduction of pests into the gro-room which nobody wants. A mite infestation or aphids is never a good thing !!! So be sure to take pre-cautions. BBB

• Like 1

Yeah, controlling pests will be a priority.

I decided to go for it: I ordered the Zamaldelica (Ace), Destroyer (Cannabiogen) and Panama (Cannabiogen), all feminized. I don't expect all to germinate or live long enough, but hopefully only one of them will make it to my tent. I got some autoflowers to fill in any gaps (my 'legal' limit is five plants).

One more question: I will have to work hard to keep these ladies small. Would it be smart to start these girls later in the season, to reduce veg time? Normally the season starts May 15 here, but maybe end of June (when the days start to shorten by 4 mins a day) would be better?

If you want to control pests then get some Tagetes Minuta seeds. It is a fast growing marigold relation that does not smell noxious. In fact the leaves can be eaten and have and odor that smells of basil/mint/citrus. It is a very effective insecticide. All you have to do is boil leaves, stems and flowers in water and spray the solution on your plants... The cool thing about it is that if there is any residue left on the plants when you smoke it then it will not harm you.. Plus it already has a Marijuanaish smell anyhow... Its a win win in my book.

One more question: I will have to work hard to keep these ladies small. Would it be smart to start these girls later in the season, to reduce veg time? Normally the season starts May 15 here, but maybe end of June (when the days start to shorten by 4 mins a day) would be better?

Later planting will definitely keep them smaller. As long as they start to flower before going inside, it should work out well.

Indoors, shorter veg times from seed can mean the plant won't start to flower right away when you flip to 12/12. So you get a smaller plant, but the time in 12/12 is longer. But if it's already flowering, it's another story.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, very excited about this. With any luck I'll have the elusive pure sativa with only 6-8 weeks of indoor flowering. A steal!