•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Hi guys done a few testers recently in tiny pots liters and have found the last 2 to taste like shit,??

Could this be just a one off, for example I expected deficiency's to come early etc could they be related.

:whistle:

GreetZ Bodderas.

Can't see it being pot size related as many many years ago I use to grow bloody monsters in 4 " cubes only using hydro in constant drips and the taste was great. Moved on in pot/cube size for larger buds as plant can process nutes more efficiently then.

What are you growing...strain wise, how are you feeding and with what ?

what deficiencies are you experiencing ?

Grtz HC

I have to agree with ^^ Hillcrest on this one. One former member here used to grow and keep mothers in Solo keg cups with Coir... The one thing that does come to my mind is if there is n abundance/overload of worm castings. Too much of that stuff *will* leave a nasty taste.

Pics of the deficiencies, or suspected ones, would help!

:spliff:

• Like 2

Well at the end of the day it was just to test phenotype, but then I was thinking maybe small pots compact roots etc were effecting taste but obviously not.

My last tasting pot in 1 litre was sannies jackBerry green phenotype, the smell was of Lavinder, but them smell of burnt weed was of grass/leaf bracts , not nice,.before that was Afghan X NYCD, that has a lovelly lemony smell tasted of hay, lol, but ok high/buzz.

Both of those were fed organically Bio Bizz soil BAC bloom nutes.

GreetZ Bod

dude your initial post is not clear at all imho.

are you testing the buds form mature plants/testing the buds before the plant is done ? are you testing with no cure, cause i saw you mentioned a hay taste with the Afghan X NYCD . some plants will taste good with no cure, but not the exact type profile with a good cure.

other plants will always taste bad with no cure at all & a lot depends on the type of nutes you used be it chemical/organic and the nuances from one brand of nutes to another based on whether that particular strain likes those nutes or not so far as taste is concerned. joker found that out dealing with the pre 2k BB; but not all strains are so temperamental/fuzzy as that BB .

you also expected deficiencies, why is that? maybe you need to use write your questions google translator and then translate it into english to post it up. just a thought because of language barrier imho.

• Like 1

Lol, no Sacred I'm jst a nut job :fish: let me try and break things down so you can understand more clearly.

1 the plants were all from seed, so yes they are premature.

2, the fact that there's little cure will also be part of why there's not so much nice taste, like u said some weeds taste great asap dried, others need a cure, I get this totally, I think you know the type I'm looking for ;) .

3 Deficiencies are because pots are root bound,, I just don't have the space for larger pots,ie potting up for bloom so I'm trying BOGS double potting technique, don't forget I'm tiny micro. I'm on about small pots for bloom, jst to taste bud (frm seed) and to try and smoke asap, and if she's good then re-vegging is an option, if she doesn't re-veg without Hermie then she's no good. :o

4 I realise cuttings are better for this, but I don't have the resources for separate grows ie 18/6-12/12 etc.

But I'm trying to clone spring summer months are coming and the days are getting longer, I try cloning without separate lights.

5 Also before cloning and choosing a mother the whole idea is to grow out the plant (frm seed) and see if its a winner, or not! Before going to all the trouble by either re-vegging/cloning these is my intentions ( I no u can clone and if its not what u want then it can be thrown, I get this).

Hope you understand now what my aims and goals are, Ive always used BAC nutes and Bio BiZZ dirt(if u wanna call it that)

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough from the start I guessed people would have understood my points.

Silly me for presuming others could read my mind lol.

Thanks for taking the time to read my posts. :rtfm:

GreetZ Bodderas.

Ok so now i understnd much better lol. if you are doing small containers . the best medium imho is coco, roots and fast plant growth will be the norm in a small pot and allow you to go 12/12 quicker imho. just get a quality coco, one that is beffred is best imho and you should do well.

BOGS double pottting .. I'm not sure if i know that, cause if i had at 1 time i surely have forgotton. let me see what turns up on google .thx

ok i found it right away. sure i didn't know BOG was doing that , but it';s something i have done on a smaller scale before. I'll try and gether a bit more 411 on how BOG did it and save that for reference. peace & thx for bring that up . :wave:

Ok so now i understnd much better lol. if you are doing small containers . the best medium imho is coco, roots and fast plant growth will be the norm in a small pot and allow you to go 12/12 quicker imho. just get a quality coco, one that is beffred is best imho and you should do well.

BOGS double pottting .. I'm not sure if i know that, cause if i had at 1 time i surely have forgotton. let me see what turns up on google .thx

ok i found it right away. sure i didn't know BOG was doing that , but it';s something i have done on a smaller scale before. I'll try and gether a bit more 411 on how BOG did it and save that for reference. peace & thx for bring that up . :wave:

#

Yeah SPW, I have 1 brick of coco waiting to be dissolved with some liquidized seaweed mixed with water it normally brings PH down,(dunno if its high quality etc, but got to try it and see). TBH, the reason I've avoided Coco is PH/EC meters I dont have and can't afford shit like that lol. I do know some ppl on here that mix coco with dirt, and that helps with the buffer etc, and still get away with no PH/EC meters, jst gunna have to try and see. :whistle:

I understand Coco is lighter and will help roots spread better, will give that a whirl. I jst mentioned BOG as an example etc. ;)

I'm waiting on my beanz to sprout some more the tips are jst shooting out, I got 2 KC36 100% germ rate (unusual for KC but must be a lucky omen), Hupla's Accidental Haze , NLX X Somango ,or vise versa can't remember. Molokai Frost X Deep Chunk,(My own cross ) and some quacks foot, lol (Duck foot X KillingFields) Plus 2 Auto's (fem). B)

Some are Old and not sprouted so they'll be tested by other methods Ive herd people germinating seeds as old as 10 yrs plus, by using the H202 method, or scoring the shell etc, if its alive inside it can still be grown rite,???? jst finding diff methods on germinating seeds, jst because they dont sprout within 48 hrs some folk toss em away( a silly waste) seeds never die unless stored poorly, ie humidity/heat issues etc, or died inside shell . :unsure:

The Erdpurt X Mau Mau are Old, n brown, and totally unviable by looking at them, but after 7-10 days they cracked and now I have a plant I'm dying to try, only thing I got camera issues as mentioned earlier :head_hurts_kr:

I realise I have drifted a little :offtopic but still I no you catch my drift.

Yet again thanks for your input and time,.

GreetZ Bodderas.

hi

To me , bad tasting weed always involve overfert in a way.

I bet you were adding nuts every time , soil hold what plants dont eat to the points it will block roots uptake.

If your plants is hardy and survive this , the soil is so saturated that even with lots of water , you may end with high quantity of nuts in the soil , giving bad taste paste harvest.

being heavy on feeding(orfeeding every time you water) is the thing to avoid if you appreciate good tasting cannabis.

• Like 1

hi

To me , bad tasting weed always involve overfert in a way.

I bet you were adding nuts every time , soil hold what plants don't eat to the points it will block roots uptake.

If your plants is hardy and survive this , the soil is so saturated that even with lots of water , you may end with high quantity of nuts in the soil , giving bad taste paste harvest.

being heavy on feeding(orfeeding every time you water) is the thing to avoid if you appreciate good tasting cannabis.

Hardly over fertilized, I do my best at watching and reading plants as they go by, plus organic nutrients ever hardly leave a bad taste, especially molasses based. :yummy:

I do understand what you are saying and yes it makes sense, but the previous has been just phenotype dependent (I'm sure about it). All my auto's have always tasted good in tiny pots regardless, just got me thinking as why the Afghan x NYCD tasted like kaccka lol. Afghan X NYCD which Sannie himself took of the freebie list was for a reason and these were the same seed batch.

I think he was also getting Hermie reports as well, but that was not my issue just was not Sannie quality, and I think he knew this.

GreetZ Bodderas.

Bod,

Before I knew what a 'HERMIE' was I smoked some bud from my fist grow that had hermed and let me tell you it almost ended my growing. That was by far the worst tasting shit I ever inhaled. I forget the strain I was growing and the 'room' was plants behind a tarp with no attention at all to light leaks. Thank God I didn't quit and found 'open grow' to help me on the right path. I know this has nothing to do with your situation but I am high and felt like sharing it! LOL!

Peace

Billman

Bod,

Before I knew what a 'HERMIE' was I smoked some bud from my fist grow that had hermed and let me tell you it almost ended my growing. That was by far the worst tasting shit I ever inhaled. I forget the strain I was growing and the 'room' was plants behind a tarp with no attention at all to light leaks. Thank God I didn't quit and found 'open grow' to help me on the right path. I know this has nothing to do with your situation but I am high and felt like sharing it! LOL!

Peace

Billman

sorry but that is to funny lol

I always grow by the same method / feeds / soil and I've had a wide range of flavours - from delicious to foul.

Sometimes the smell bears no relation to the taste when vaped/smoked.

I once had one which smelled okay, tasted quite horrible, like bad breath, but the hash from it was really good.

Sure it can be environment but sometimes it's just trait inheritance and you get dodgy individual plants.

Buffered.

Coco needs to be rinsed and pretreated with something like CalMag or a dilute nute solution.

[stolen from a 2009 post @ icmag:]

"Some coirs have been chemically treated, this is most often the case with loose pre-hydrated varieties versus compressed blocks. The treatment has been done to satisfy the cation exchange capacity (CEC) of the growing media. As a refresher, “cations” are positively charged ions, such as Calcium, Magnesium, Sodium, and Potassium. This means that the growing media will hold these ions in a matrix, releasing them as required by plants. There is one slight drawback to this. Until the cation exchange capacity of the growing media is filled, the growing media may hold positively charged nutrient ions, most notably calcium, in reserve, making them less available to plants. However, the cation exchange capacity (CEC) of the coir media is quickly filled, and actually assists calcium absorption in the crop cycle. To ensure optimum availability of all nutrients, supply additional calcium during the first week of growth or during the hydrating process of the coconut coir. Calcium supplement products are ideal for this. Some nutrients specifically formulated for coco tend to have elevated levels of calcium and magnesium while having lower levels of nitrogen. "

From seed you can get a shit tasting plant from time to time. My recent Dinafem wanabe OG Kush was three completely random & crappy plants. I know before trying two of them are going to taste like crap, i'll not notice so much once im high though lol.

(Two plants yielding VERY low with a smell of hot grass, third smells nicely skunky with thick buds ..but almost no resin!)

If you're smoking early taken leafy bud it's going to taste like early taken leafy bud......HAY.

Don't matter how you grew it, don't matter what strain......leaf is leaf.

If you're expecting primo dank out of the gate you will be very disappointed every f'n time.

• Like 2

My own experience with organic soil has been that overly small pots tend to cause a lot of problems with PH stability and nute deficiencies. With cocoa and hydro it's a different story but with organic soil growing I have had it cause me some serious headaches. I think the advice others have given for you to switch over to cocoa is excellent. If you want to do organic soil growing I think you really need to have some decent size pots. I normally grow in 5 to 7 gallon containers which work well for me. I used to use smaller pots but I get much better results this way.

• Like 1