•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

what is an OG strain??

what are OG strain traits??

i was given some "FIRE OG" (HOA x RKS or HOA x reversed pollen) beans and was told i should find a nice OG in the bunch!!

I do believe it means it is some sort of OG kush,what that means is up for debate,fellas.....

• Like 1

OG simply means Ocean Grown.

It actually refers to locations such as Cali...Florida etc...... Ocean areas, so there are not actually any traits Except where it originates from.

Your friends remark means nothing really.

All I can think is he means youll to find an OG kush type pheno.

As said...... It's a term over used and bastardised like many things cannabis related.

Grtz HC

Fire OG is OGRaskls clone only cut of OG Kush.

Dunno what HOA is, but OG isnt an RKS if that is what you were told the lineage is. Or are you saying you have the FIre OG x (HOA x RKS)?

• Like 1

OK seriously... it's more of a topic of endless hours of conversation than a question you can simply answer. here's the best answer i could possibly give... if there is one.

as HC said, the term OG goes back to the 70's meaning Ocean Grown. it was a term for higher grade Cali buds that were not closet grown, dirt weed or mexican, which was more common. mostly it just meant it was grown in the open air, near the ocean.

so that's when OG became a generic mark of quality for weed.

genetically the OGs came from a chem91 cut. there were a large amount of seeds and cuts circulating at the time, so the OGs became named based on different characteristics and regions that brought out different smells, flavors, and effects. (mostly NorCal and SoCal)

there was a site called OverGrow that got shut down, a lot of people were working with OG cuts at the time.

OG has also been commonly used like chronic as a generic namesake for good weed.

mostly, authentic OGs are kush hybrids made of chem crosses.

traits would vary since there were indica and sativa dominant chem varieties..

when someone says OG kush, it should have some genetic lineage from the Hindu Kush mountain region and more than likely contains Afghani genetics.

when someone says OG it means it should have been derived from the chemdawg lineage.

of course, the fact of the matter is, lots of breeders have exploited the names Kush and OG for marketing appeal. there are definitely OGs out there that have nothing to do with the lineage. there are also a number that came out of working with the different phenos of the original OGs.

bottom line, if you want to understand OG you have to get to know Chemdawg. here's the chemdawg story:

History of the Chemdawg Family

At a Grateful Dead show at Deer Creek Amphitheatre, 'joebrand' (aka 'wonkanobe') and 'pbud' met 'chemdog' and sold him an ounce of very high quality pot for $500. joe and chemdog exchanged numbers and they later arranged for two ounces to be shipped to chemdog on the east coast. According to chemdog, one ounce was seedless and the other had 13 seeds.

In ’91, chemdog popped the first 4 seeds. From these seeds, one male was found and disposed of (chemdog was young, you can’t blame him). The 3 females were labeled ‘chemdawg’ (now ’91 chemdawg), ‘chemdawg a’ (now chemdawg’s sister), and ‘chemdawg b’. In '01, chemdog and his girlfriend attempted to germ 3 more seeds, labeled ‘c’, ‘d’, and ‘e’. the ‘e’ seed never germinated, ‘c’ turned out to be junk (according to chemdog), and chemdawg ‘d’ was the keeper. In '06, 'chemdog' and 'joebrand' reunited and joe was given 4 of the last 6 beans: Chemdawg phenos 1-4, '4' being the chosen keeper. Joe thought the '4' was the best representation of the original and thus dubbed it the 'reunion pheno'. Chemdog still has two seeds left in his stash.

Chemdawg Crosses:

• 'OG Kush' (the original cut) came from an s1 seed from a bag of '91 Chemdawg in the Lake Tahoe area in 1996.

• 'Sour Diesel' aka ECSD came from an accidental cross of ('91 Chemdawg x Mass Super Skunk/NL)x DNL after the DNL hermed and seeded the room. The DNL's lineage is NL/Shiva x Hawaiian.

• Original Diesel' (also known as Diesel #1, Headband, Daywrecker Diesel, Underdawg) came from a cross of '91 Chemdawg x (Mass Super Skunk x Sensi's Northern Lights) done by a guy known as ‘weasel’.

"The ChemDawg has an incredible pedigree, it is the mother of NYC Diesel, Sour Diesel and OG Kush. It´s an elite clone isolated in 1991, in the East Coast of the USA.

according to this article the original chemdawg is still available in the form of a clone to select breeders around the world......just some extra information i found on chemdawg. great mother to many elite strains.

"The first Chem Dog strain was grown in Montana and sold in Colorado for years before being purchased by Chemdawg, whom was in Massachusetts. While in Colorado, where a primarily indica "Chem" line had been produced steadily for years, confirming that Chem Dog (and related siblings) are indeed of predominantly indica genetics. Chemdawg was now a proud owner of 13 original seeds and in 1991 Chemdawg sowed his first 4 seeds. One turned out male, but the other three were females that became "Chem 91" or "ChemDog '91", "Chem A" (Chem 91 sister), and "Chem B" phenos. In 2000, Chemdawg sowed 3 more seeds labeled "C", "D" and "E". The "C" seed did not turn out well, the "E" seed never germinated and the "D" seed was the winner. In 2006 Chemdawg brought back 4 original Chem Dog seeds to Joebrand in Colorado to be grown out. Those seeds accounted for four more Chem Dog phenotypes, but only the 4th was labeled worthy to its genetics and named "Reunion Pheno". Chemdawg still has two more original seeds in his possesion from the early 1990's. Although some say Chemdawg gave everyone cuttings, never gave seeds away and he still has 6 seeds left.

In 1993, the Chem Dog strain grew popular and strong. Then at a Phish concert, the Massachusetts grower (Chemdawg) met other growers from New York City, which begged Chemdawg for a rare Chem Dog cutting. Finally Chemdawg traded the Chem Dog for a Super Skunk to the New York City growers and promises were made amongst them to not give the Chem Dog away. The NYC growers disliked the name "Chem Dog", so they changed the name to "Diesel", also because when you smoked Chem Dog, it was the "Cock Diesel".

The original Chem Dog is Diesel. Everybody wanted the Chem Dog/Diesel, another group of breeders from Albany traveled to NYC (2 or 3 hour drive) to get the Diesel in bud form. Later the Albany breeders pleaded for a cutting of the Diesel, instead got a bag of seeds to grow. The bags of seeds the Albany breedeers actually got was some Super Skunk grown in Virginia in 1986 that accidentally hermed the Chem Dog, aka Diesel. The Albany crew started breeding those seeds and named it "Sour Diesel". Also the original Chem Dog, aka Diesl is OG Kush. Chem Dog was later renamed "OG Kush" when it arrived in Tahoe in 1996 before it landed in California."

that's about as close to any sort of real history you're going to get on the OG. as for the history of Kush, i offer you high times:

http://www.hightimes.com/read/story-kush

HOA was supposed to be HAO. hells angels og.

It is a hells angel crossed with either the RKG or reveresed pollen from the HA. He didnt remember.

OG is when marijuana went from an unpredictable surprise to something you could rely on always being the same, like when you get a cheeseburger from McDonalds. It seemed to happen about the same time the internet took over the world.

• Like 2

Ok. The only person here who knows what they are saying is Useless.

Fire OG is OG Raskals cut used to make Whitefire ( The White Reversed x Fire OG). If grown right, that cut can yield well, it's very good for making crosses.

Whatever you have is not what it is called, but try it and see.

OG traits should be very hard , dense buds that smell very, very strong from week 4 on. A small bud should smell from 15 feet away.

The taste should be lemony, menthol pine, very strong taste that coats your mouth and tastes very good on the exhale. The high depends on when you harvest, from nice and balanced to narcotic.

This is OG Dom Whitefire #3 at week 6. By week 9 I could smell this tiny plant in it's 2 gallon smart pot from 20 feet away. It was outside my bedroom window and when I opened the window I could smell it immediately 6' below.

gallery_312_3669_4013896.jpg

It will make most of what you grow from seed seem bland and tasteless. It is very comparable to the real Chemdog D.

i've grown Hell's Angel OG. a real beauty. very special!!! similar to the Tahoe OG. very dank and sweet, fruity. very stoney.

indica dom... heavy hitter. a real nice OG. would love to get my hands on another cut.

Hell's Angel OG = OG Kush x Blackberry

if she is Hell's Angel BX : then she is not the legendary Fire OG Useless/Joker are talking about

she is "Fire" as in the shit (more sloppy slang for chronic or whatever)

not as the fire on your throat Fire

the real Fire OG is very nice. different than the Hells Angel OG. spicier, harsher, not as sweet, not as fruity.

i hope for your sake you have a pure Hell's Angel BX. that would be sweet!

strain acronymns can be confusing these days... i've seen a lot of strains in my day and sometimes it ends up like doing math. there are just so many damned strains. just type em out i say! ;)

HOA was supposed to be HAO. hells angels og.

It is a hells angel crossed with either the RKG or reveresed pollen from the HA. He didnt remember.

Confussed yet? So is everyone else. Here's what I know. If it says "OG' or if it says "kush" it's fine to smoke...might even be great smoke, but never buy it. Leave that to guys who are willing to pay $20 a bean. I could go off on the whole california weed scene at this point, but people already know my stance on that mess.

OK seriously... it's more of a topic of endless hours of conversation than a question you can simply answer. here's the best answer i could possibly give... if there is one.

as HC said, the term OG goes back to the 70's meaning Ocean Grown. it was a term for higher grade Cali buds that were not closet grown, dirt weed or mexican, which was more common. mostly it just meant it was grown in the open air, near the ocean. That is incorrect. First time I ever heard the OG monikor was in the mid to late 90's.

so that's when OG became a generic mark of quality for weed. Again, incorrect. While it is way overused and used incorrectly, when people OG or OG Kush, it refers to a specific family line and is not generic.

genetically the OGs came from a chem91 cut. there were a large amount of seeds and cuts circulating at the time, so the OGs became named based on different characteristics and regions that brought out different smells, flavors, and effects. (mostly NorCal and SoCal) Speculation. No one knows for sure what the OG lineage is. While the Chem 91 and the older OGK's ( Tahoe, OC, HA, SFV) do have some similarities, OGK being an S1 of Chem is pure speculation. Most of the OGK's were originally named for their local. Hence SFV, Tahoe, OC, 818 etc. The S1's started getting named from the grower (Ghost, Abusive etc) and now there are literally hundreds if not thousands of S1's named after everything you can think of.

there was a site called OverGrow that got shut down, a lot of people were working with OG cuts at the time. When OG got shut down, the kush craze was in full swing, but the original cuts were still omewhat sought after. The widest spread cuts of OGK on the boards at the time were the Ghost and Abusive cuts.

OG has also been commonly used like chronic as a generic namesake for good weed. Only by kids that don't know shit from shine-ola. Anyone "in the know" expects a cali kush line when they hear OGK.

mostly, authentic OGs are kush hybrids made of chem crosses. Again, pure speculation.

traits would vary since there were indica and sativa dominant chem varieties.. Incorrect. Chem 91 is chem 91. It is clearly a sativa/indica hybrid, but therre was only one chem91 clone. The variances in OGK are minute, subtle differences between cuts.

when someone says OG kush, it should have some genetic lineage from the Hindu Kush mountain region and more than likely contains Afghani genetics. I agree that originally the term kush was used to identify strains from the Hindu Kush mountain range, but could be Afghan or Paki as both countries claim part of the HK moountain range. However, when OG is thrown in front, it is commonly understood that one is referring to the Cali "Kush" lines. There is a differentiation.

when someone says OG it means it should have been derived from the chemdawg lineage. Again, incorrect. No one can say with solid proof what the lineage of OGK is, and no one can prove it was bred from the Chem 91 cut or that it is an S1 of the Chem.

of course, the fact of the matter is, lots of breeders have exploited the names Kush and OG for marketing appeal. there are definitely OGs out there that have nothing to do with the lineage. there are also a number that came out of working with the different phenos of the original OGs. Agreed.

bottom line, if you want to understand OG you have to get to know Chemdawg. here's the chemdawg story:

History of the Chemdawg Family

At a Grateful Dead show at Deer Creek Amphitheatre, 'joebrand' (aka 'wonkanobe') and 'pbud' met 'chemdog' and sold him an ounce of very high quality pot for $500. joe and chemdog exchanged numbers and they later arranged for two ounces to be shipped to chemdog on the east coast. According to chemdog, one ounce was seedless and the other had 13 seeds.

In ’91, chemdog popped the first 4 seeds. From these seeds, one male was found and disposed of (chemdog was young, you can’t blame him). The 3 females were labeled ‘chemdawg’ (now ’91 chemdawg), ‘chemdawg a’ (now chemdawg’s sister), and ‘chemdawg b’. In '01, chemdog and his girlfriend attempted to germ 3 more seeds, labeled ‘c’, ‘d’, and ‘e’. the ‘e’ seed never germinated, ‘c’ turned out to be junk (according to chemdog), and chemdawg ‘d’ was the keeper. In '06, 'chemdog' and 'joebrand' reunited and joe was given 4 of the last 6 beans: Chemdawg phenos 1-4, '4' being the chosen keeper. Joe thought the '4' was the best representation of the original and thus dubbed it the 'reunion pheno'. Chemdog still has two seeds left in his stash.

Chemdawg Crosses:

• 'OG Kush' (the original cut) came from an s1 seed from a bag of '91 Chemdawg in the Lake Tahoe area in 1996.

• 'Sour Diesel' aka ECSD came from an accidental cross of ('91 Chemdawg x Mass Super Skunk/NL)x DNL after the DNL hermed and seeded the room. The DNL's lineage is NL/Shiva x Hawaiian.

• Original Diesel' (also known as Diesel #1, Headband, Daywrecker Diesel, Underdawg) came from a cross of '91 Chemdawg x (Mass Super Skunk x Sensi's Northern Lights) done by a guy known as ‘weasel’. This story of Chem is true, as both Chemfather and Joe brand have verified it. Also the lineages are correct.

"The ChemDawg has an incredible pedigree, it is the mother of NYC Diesel, Sour Diesel and OG Kush. It´s an elite clone isolated in 1991, in the East Coast of the USA. It is the mother of Original Diesel, which is the mother of Sour Diesel, and may or may not be related to the NYCD, which was a cross done by Soma. Again, it is unknown if it is related to OGK.

according to this article the original chemdawg is still available in the form of a clone to select breeders around the world......just some extra information i found on chemdawg. great mother to many elite strains. Agreed. The Chem91 is one of my favorite smokes and a great plant to grow.

"The first Chem Dog strain was grown in Montana and sold in Colorado for years before being purchased by Chemdawg, whom was in Massachusetts. While in Colorado, where a primarily indica "Chem" line had been produced steadily for years, confirming that Chem Dog (and related siblings) are indeed of predominantly indica genetics. Chemdawg was now a proud owner of 13 original seeds and in 1991 Chemdawg sowed his first 4 seeds. One turned out male, but the other three were females that became "Chem 91" or "ChemDog '91", "Chem A" (Chem 91 sister), and "Chem B" phenos. In 2000, Chemdawg sowed 3 more seeds labeled "C", "D" and "E". The "C" seed did not turn out well, the "E" seed never germinated and the "D" seed was the winner. In 2006 Chemdawg brought back 4 original Chem Dog seeds to Joebrand in Colorado to be grown out. Those seeds accounted for four more Chem Dog phenotypes, but only the 4th was labeled worthy to its genetics and named "Reunion Pheno". Chemdawg still has two more original seeds in his possesion from the early 1990's. Although some say Chemdawg gave everyone cuttings, never gave seeds away and he still has 6 seeds left. Never heard the Montana part. Speculation is that the line might have come from the PNW, but if I recall PBud had stated the bag Chemfather got with the seeds was grown in Colorado.

In 1993, the Chem Dog strain grew popular and strong. Then at a Phish concert, the Massachusetts grower (Chemdawg) met other growers from New York City, which begged Chemdawg for a rare Chem Dog cutting. Finally Chemdawg traded the Chem Dog for a Super Skunk to the New York City growers and promises were made amongst them to not give the Chem Dog away. The NYC growers disliked the name "Chem Dog", so they changed the name to "Diesel", also because when you smoked Chem Dog, it was the "Cock Diesel". I have no info on this part of the story.

The original Chem Dog is Diesel. Everybody wanted the Chem Dog/Diesel, another group of breeders from Albany traveled to NYC (2 or 3 hour drive) to get the Diesel in bud form. Later the Albany breeders pleaded for a cutting of the Diesel, instead got a bag of seeds to grow. The bags of seeds the Albany breedeers actually got was some Super Skunk grown in Virginia in 1986 that accidentally hermed the Chem Dog, aka Diesel. The Albany crew started breeding those seeds and named it "Sour Diesel". Also the original Chem Dog, aka Diesl is OG Kush. Chem Dog was later renamed "OG Kush" when it arrived in Tahoe in 1996 before it landed in California." I have both the Chem 91 and the Tahoe, they are not even close to being the same cut.

that's about as close to any sort of real history you're going to get on the OG. as for the history of Kush, i offer you high times:

http://www.hightimes...read/story-kush

Most of the OGK lineage stories are just that, stories. Lots of speculation, hyperbole, hype, but very few if any verifiable facts.

• Like 2

i've grown Hell's Angel OG. a real beauty. very special!!! similar to the Tahoe OG. very dank and sweet, fruity. very stoney.

indica dom... heavy hitter. a real nice OG. would love to get my hands on another cut.

Hell's Angel OG = OG Kush x Blackberry

if she is Hell's Angel BX : then she is not the legendary Fire OG Useless/Joker are talking about

she is "Fire" as in the shit (more sloppy slang for chronic or whatever)

not as the fire on your throat Fire

the real Fire OG is very nice. different than the Hells Angel OG. spicier, harsher, not as sweet, not as fruity.

i hope for your sake you have a pure Hell's Angel BX. that would be sweet!

strain acronymns can be confusing these days... i've seen a lot of strains in my day and sometimes it ends up like doing math. there are just so many damned strains. just type em out i say! ;)

I used to have the HA OG, never tasted or smelled fruity to me. First time I ever heard it was a cross with Blackberry. I have heard the HA cut is the OC cut, and at least very close to the Larry cut, but I've never grown them all side by side. I only kept 3 OGK cuts, the Tahoe, The SFV and what I was told wa the OC cut, but I believe it's one of the Soul Assassin Crews cuts.

• Like 1

totally agreed! i do believe i presented my post with that very disclaimer. thought i'd share the stories nonetheless. glad i did! i adore this Useless! thank you! i am honored to hear your thoughts and clarifications on the legend of the OG! this is great stuff.

btw! i never said that OG is not a legit genetic. i LOVE the OGs. i was just giving background on the word and its common uses.

before the internet... weed was an oral tradition... so there are many folk tales. i love sorting through the rich cultural history of one of the most amazing plants on the planet!

Most of the OGK lineage stories are just that, stories. Lots of speculation, hyperbole, hype, but very few if any verifiable facts.

nice! interesting. good to know. the one i had, back in 09/10 was from the San Fernando Valley. it had predominant honey floral notes like the blackberry tends to on top of that hard to place sweet OG/Chem taste. not super fruity, but fruity for an OG. but not very lemony like the Larry. things come out different with different grow styles. and taste can be subjective. it was legit though, i'm sure. Hell's Angel is certainly legendary. i heard the breeder was unknown, and the genetics may also be. that is very cool to get the inside scoop that it may be the OC cut. could be OC x Blackberry i suppose. thanks for sharing your knowledge! i am seriously glad you held onto the Tahoe! one of my all time faves! i had one but was not able to get cuts and keep her. amazing smoke though! looking forward to that Bubba Tahoe. and the SFV is nice to work with as well. Never had the OC to compare to the HA.

Soul Assassin Crew... figures it would be related to B Real and Cypress Hill!!! serious OG dank.

I used to have the HA OG, never tasted or smelled fruity to me. First time I ever heard it was a cross with Blackberry. I have heard the HA cut is the OC cut, and at least very close to the Larry cut, but I've never grown them all side by side. I only kept 3 OGK cuts, the Tahoe, The SFV and what I was told wa the OC cut, but I believe it's one of the Soul Assassin Crews cuts.

this is what i found on HA... you seem to be on to something Useless. they are definitely closely related. maybe it's blackberry x OC or OC Larry?

-HA OG= Cut came from an commercial H.A room in Orange County, grown by the same crew that brought the Orange County Larry cut into the medical Disp.

Thank you Orange County Hell's Angels!!! you rock!

A Bikers word = last word I'd ever trust. Unless I was a biker. All none-bikers might want to jump on that bandwagon :)

There really is only one, real deal OG Kush out there. It's awesome, but there are better non-sensationalized kush's out there. Like good ol' Hindu and Master.

• Like 2

Well after all that .....

As said...... It's a term over used and bastardised like many things cannabis related.

;)

• Like 1

In the early 70s someone was talking about some weed called Mananuska ThunderFuck. Even at the time, and I was quite young, the story had all kinds of holes in it and the whole premise was flawed. I was told that giant vegetables that grew in Alaska because of the long days of summer. All that is great if all you had to do was veg a plant... anyway, MTF is Still available today, but the story changed because we all know what is what with growing weed. The story now is it was always an indoor strain. Well that would be cool, but when I first heard about MTF is before people started using HID lighting indoors.

The whole fairy tale about OG Kush, Chemdawg, the Grateful Dead concert, the 13 seeds, Rezdog, Chemdawg, being arrested, yadda yadda yadda. If you want to know what we have just read your average seed description you see on a website that sells seeds out of Amsterdam or read about Sam the Skunkman and how he brought haze to Europe, or the conflict between Shantibabba and Arjan over who invented White Widow.

If the smoke is good smoke it, If you can get seeds that grow smoke you like grow it. And if you can get a clone from someone that sells you great bud you are there.

• Like 2