•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Smokey Pockets

Black Sabbath...who carries the torch?

If you are into this kinda music,what do you think? I am talking about Ozzy era...good solid,heavy ROCK & ROLL... No corpse paint or cookie monster vocals,I don't care about some extreme black metal nonsense... I say Sweden's Graveyard is the answer

Here is another clip of them from the same show,these guys are the real deal....just check out the sound that the drummer gets out of that lil jazz kit!

• Like 3

Big fan of that era, and Black Sabbath specifically (I'm in my 40's) but I think Tool has been carrying the hard rock torch for two decades and until they quit, which this years' album will likely be their last,

After Tool goes, Mastodon get's my vote if they don't drink themselves to death.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6WGNd8QR-U

Monster Truck (local band) seriously rock.

Peace

RM

• Like 3

I would be surprised if Tool makes many more albums, but I do recall in an earlier interview from Guitar Magazine, one of the band members said, "We're in this for the long haul." He was answering a question regarding the length (almost 10, 000 Days?) it takes for them to create a new album. But in another interview, Maynard almost seemed to hint once his voice begins to fade, he will then focus his efforts into wine making. I want a bottle of that for me and a bottle for my collection :) Thanks for sharing the local bands, other bands....will check em out, as I am always searching for new kick ass music. Peace!

• Like 1

I hope they do, but they're entering their 50's and the involvement required for their album production has to be less and less appealing.

Had two bottles of the 2010 VSC Primer Paso....outstanding, the shit I had to go through to get it in Canada was worth it :)

Cheers,

RM

My answer would be Slayer. These guys got the same scary and dark thing going, without going overboard. And 30 years of existence has to count for something.

I do love Tool dearly, but somehow it seems to be another sub-genre to me as Sabbath. Tool is a distant relative of Sabbath, whereas Slayer could be Sabbaths rebellious son.

Yes,yes,nice work fellas...all worthy choices...I do like all the bands mentioned,and to be perfectly honest,I do like some death and black metal sometimes,as well. How about AngelWitch or WitchFinder General? both were out same time as Sabbath,both pretty pale imitations of Sabbath(especially w.f. general),but there is some really good, heavy tunes from both...check them out. Pentagram anyone?

David Bowie is 66, his latest album and probably his last is surprisingly decent. Tool could feasibly squeeze out 2 more. A hope, more than reality, which is closer to the next album being their last, but another hope....Tool releases a Double album with over 3 hours of solid music tracks.

At least there is also A Perfect Circle. Seen them live 3 times, twice in California, another in Virginia. Should get 1 more out them, too! :) Wish I could've tasted even just a small sip of that wine, Rev ;)

I grew up listening to this genre, slayer, voivod, metallica, megadeth, death angel, etc etc. In my 40s as well.

Love Sabbath, carries the torch? not sure considering sabbath are back touring.

Check out Newsteds new band. Heading to Barcelona in an hour to see Sonisphere. Should be a good one. See ya Monday!

• Like 1

the Sabbath of today,is like a cover band....does not count.They lost the fire a long time ago.its the same with say...the misfits. the name stayed but everything that made the band great is gone.

Found this little gem on the internet today:

Roses are gay

Violets are gayer

Fuck this poem

Listen to Slayer

• Like 1

I grew up listening to this genre, slayer, voivod, metallica, megadeth, death angel, etc etc. In my 40s as well.....

...sounds quiet familiar to me :D

btw: newsted is very cool,great rock´n´roll!!

...... Pentagram anyone?

...Pentagram is a great Band too,one of the oldest HardRock/HeavyMetal/Doom-Bands,existing as long as Sabbath,maybe longer :tu

• Like 1

the Sabbath of today,is like a cover band....does not count.They lost the fire a long time ago.its the same with say...the misfits. the name stayed but everything that made the band great is gone.

As far I as Sublime is concerned, I would have to agree with this statement. Last Summer county fair, Sublime with Rome played. They were obviously drunk, like the time they played with the original singer in Portland, Oregon. The show in Portland was not a complete set. The singer was too drunk to play on stage, pissed all the fans off. Sublime is great when they are in the studio and sober, save for some bong hits, dabs, whatever lol. They were fairly mediocre when I saw them, a let down. Pat Benatar was better than them live haha. Peace.

• Like 1

My very first real rock concert was Black Sabbath at the Seattle Coliseum in the middle 70s. Tickets were $5 open seating. Ozzy was a mess for awhile, still is, but at least now he is sober. I guess he is completely drug free, including weed.

I am trying to win tickets to see the eagles. I will be damned if I pay todays prices to see them. Joe Walsh is sober now too. Much better guy. Showtimes has a documentary of the eagles that is an awesome program to see I highly (pun) recommend it.

]

Damn Randude! I wanna hear more about your Sabbath show...you guys know that story about Ozzy snorting a line of ants off the ground? Tommy Lee story from some interview I read in the 90's....dudes were trying to out party each other." ok Ozzy,you win!! "

okok got another good video to contribute to this conversation....yup its DETHKLOK,if you aren't familiar with this show and you are reading this thread ,this is the best show that has ever existed. I hardly watch tv but I own all metalocalypse seasons.

Well there was a documentary or movie about Ozzie. I am sure you can find it on youtube or just google.

When I seen Sabbath in the 70s I had no idea what was going on or who was even in the band. It was loud and good. In iron man Ozzie had some strobe light machine gun thing he was playing with. I know I smoked a lot of pot that day for sure.

• Like 2

Ok so Im back. Of course Maiden was excellent!!!!! They still got it! But Newsted is bringing some great shit back to metal IMO. It was a little Metallica'ish if you get my meaning, but excellent. Id go see them again. Parc del Forum in Barcelona is an excellent venue!! Great vibe in Spain!

Anthrax was well anthrax, Megadeth was ok, Dave didnt seem to have his heart in it like when i saw them with the big 4 in Amneville, France.

Ghost was interesting.

No pics, no vid, i broke my iphone couple weeks ago. Id post some vids i did at the Bercy for Ozzy, O2 London for Maiden and Big 4 France, 2 years ago. But it would certainly give my identity away ;)

Papa Roach in Amneville was good!

Ohh Edit:

Back to sabbath, seen ozzy numerous times, never sabbath. Thinking on going to see them either Dec 2 at Paris, Bercy or 7th Dec, Prague. Im thinking Prague is the way to go!!

Ozzy was my first concert at age 11, it was also my first exposure to the drug culture :) He was fucked up, Jake E. Lee was a piss-poor replacement for Randy when Randy is your god.

Megadeth's Rust in Peace album change the way I looked at my guitars. Was always a Marty Friedman/Cacophony fan but his middle eastern vibe mixed with Dave's speed kicked a lot of ass. Kind of like how Chris Poland's jazz style complimented Dave on Peace Sells....

Papa Roach? One word check mates that band. Deftones ;)

Cheers,

RM

Nice,good 1st show stories...mine was The Exploited(uk) and the Creeps,crazy punk show.It was 86 maybe,I was 13. As my friends mom was dropping us off,an ambulance was pulling out.Some kid got stabbed,good thing my friends mom didn't know that..anyway ,crazy show.But truth be told,I have been going to bars for live music since I was 3,my pops is a musician and my folks used to drag me everywhere...got to play space invaders before my friends ,and probably why I don't drink much....good times

Cool story Smokey. Nice to get to know more about our OpenGrow friends. Good on the not drinking so much bit too. I can tell you from Past experience that alcohol has caused me a lot of problems. It is as bad as crack and I mean that.

Oh first gig? 1989 Metallica. Listened to metal way before that but i used to live in a very small town on the far east coast. My dad didn't have money to send me when younger than that.

I take in all i can now a days. Lots going on in Europe. I drove 1000kms for the big4 hehe.

Oh and agreed on the Deftones, but papa was all ready at the festival so i checked em out.