•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
ReverendMaynard

Thrips? Don't Panic

This spring, due to the increase activity in my outdoor none-canna gardens I have inadvertently introduced thrips to my lovely mom's Chucks and Cherry AK. Chucks took it the worst, AK defended slightly but was still affected enough and we always want to get rid of thrips asap because they carry the Tomato Wilt Virus which will do some serious damage.

The first thing I did was NOT panic. There are two organic chemicals that are OMRI listed that will annihilate thrips and their eggs. Thrips attack in two waves. The first is mature leaf sucking bastards, the second is the newly born sonsofbitches.

1) Pyrethrins are a pair of compounds that attack ALL insects central nervous system. From my experieence with this so far, I would say cannabis loves being drenched with the stuff more than it likes being eaten lol.

2) Spinosad is a synthesized compound from a type of bacteria and absolutely destroys thrips with no questions asked. I like this one because the dried residue is completely harmless to bee's so it's great to use outside as well.

Together, these two form like motherfuckin Beyonce and Jay-Z for a 1-2 punch that thrips have no chance against.

First application I used pyrenthrins based Doktor Doom. 3 days later I noticed a 90% reduction of the infestation. Every square millimeter of the plant, pot, pot dish, medium top layer and inside of the tent was covered with this product.

BotanicsInsecticide500English_large.gif

7 days later, it was time to take out the second wave using spinosad. Thrips can quickly gain resistance so a 1-2 punch is highly recommended. One does of spinosad is enough most of the time, the stuff is really good and no grower should be without it at arms length.

51nevZ9UKVL.jpg

Daily inspections ended 7 days after the Monterey application. There was not a single thrip left and the clones bounced back and are becoming mothers right now.

Use this same approach with gnats and spider mites but as expected....never use this shit during mid-late flower or your herbs will taste like ass.

Cheers,

RM

• Like 5

One interesting thing. I recently had and eradicated broad mites. Fucking awful things to have because you can only see them with a scope and they mimic nutrient deficiencies.

From the source I was getting my soil, everything had thrips: worm casting , promix... all of it. So I bought Monterey Garden with Spinosad. My plants immediately looked like they had nute lock out from ph drop. Would take 4-5 weeks to recover. Spinosad in Monterey Garden or Merit 75 ( which kicks ass) will actually stimulate the broad mites into reproducing.

So if you add Spinosad to the soil for a drench and your plants look like shit , you should check your plants with a scope for broad mites. I had been pulling my hair out flushing and wondering why my yields were down.

• Like 4

Broad mites are a complete cluster fuck to get rid of but for thrips, which are pretty easy to spot because of the damage patterns, these products or the similar will do nicely.

One way to help keep thrips from hatching is to keep the medium moist and tilled so there isn't a flat surface and plenty of air.

II may have well got mine from a bag of promix now that you mention it.

Cheers,

RM

If I had a gram of kind for every time I heard of a thrip infestation after some Promix was used, I could retire from growing :) lol

Thanks for the product recommend and tutorial Rev! I will refer to this thread if I get this issue. Peace!

GA

You're welcome GA. Any product with those ingredients are going to get the job done and personally I wouldn't go out of my way to get the same stuff, just the cheapest possible ;)

Scott's Bug B Gon Insecticide Soap is pyrethrin based and way cheaper than the Dr Doom. Gotta drench them in the dark cycle as well or the light will burn off the treatment and become ineffective.

RM