•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

HillCrest

pest, disease or deficiency ? .. on outdoor plants

Hi folks,

I notice about a week ago on one of my plants outdoors what appeared to be pest damage on one or two of the lower bud sites and thpought nothing of it. I just been pout for another look and its spreading like wild fire through all bud sites and not just one plant now.

As i originally said at first I thought this was pest damage but I can find NO pests !!!!

I am now starting to thinmk this is either disease or something brought on by a deficiency and am looking fpr some advice as to what may be. I have never come across this sort of damage before in all my years..... but i must point out im been very lazy and havent even bothered to look it up at all and simply thought I'd take the short cut of asking my fellow growers :)

The damage is spreading to such a degree it culd be too late to save anything.:(

heres some pics:

gallery_4165_3902_849388.jpg

gallery_4165_3902_2479342.jpg

i know im probably going to kick myself when i know what it is for being lazy lol

thanks for any advice or leads.

Grtz HC

Caterpillar ? A grignotor anyway :( (but not a disease, the yellowing i think is the result of the self-healing attempt of the plant after have been nibbled )

HC, it is bug damage to be sure. Look for a little beetle type bug it does fly, about a quarter inch long. I have controlled them with daddy long leg spiders from my wood pile. I don't know the name of them but I get them every year. I also make a bug spray from chopped tomato leaves and garlic the tomato leaves when chopped up and soaked in water release some nightshade toxins that kills or repels bugs. works fantastic on aphids. As for the flying bettle bugs when I see them I crush them with thumb and finger, they are slow to quit feeding . ButchBB

I would guess caterpillar, also. If you check the plants over, you might see one hiding down below. If you look a few times this evening, you may see them feeding. Kill them, and there should be no more. Just one less butterfly or moth in the world.

Looks like damage from tomato worms to me. Small green caterpillers. Really hard to see unless you catch them moving from shelter to the feed source. If you don't address them now, when the buds form they crawl into them for warmth and then they poop. The fecal matter is perfect food for botrytis (sp?) and will rot your buds from the inside out at an alarming rate.

The cure - Spinosad. I like the Monterey Insecticide with spinosad. You can get it in a bottle that attaches to your garden hose which makes it super easy to treat an outdoor garden. Spray all the plants and soil, and everything within 10 feet of your ladies, every 2 weeks up until 3 weeks before chop time.

Good luck.

Cheers folks I'll bash the buggers into oblivion.

Useless .... O thanks for the poop thing lol really made me feel yuck.

Next year my ladies are going under a fruit cage :)

Whatever the bastards are they obviously love cannabis as I'm growing many many things from fruit to veg to nuts etc etc and they've only touched these ladies....... They must have style ;)

Grtz HC

After you get rid of these ones, hit them with Bt now and then, until buds start to form. Caterpillars won't bother you again.

I don't think the Bt itself would mess up the buds, but they often use some kind of petroleum distillate as a carrier.

The ladies are in flower now.

I was actually off to the garden centre tomorrow anyway for some other stuff so I'll have a good browse at what's ok for fruit and veg close to harvest to make sure I don't leave any nasty residues.

Grtz HC

I've sprayed it on tomato plants just about two weeks before harvesting some of the tomatoes. You won't get any taste on them. I don't know if I'd spray it on veggies with lots of 'nooks and crannies' like broccoli or, uh, cannabis.

The spinosad is OMRI rated, fully organic and just fine to use on fruits and veggies right up to harvest. I cut it off at three weeks prior to chopping, as it only seems to last about two weeks. That way I get clean flowers with no residue. Best thing I have found for controlling pests outdoors.

Cheers all.

Seems spin isn't avaliable this side f the pond.

I already have some Pyrethrum so I'm going to bash them with that a few times and see how we go.

Grtz HC

High five HC, I just found out I got them too! I'll need to make a trip to the gardening shop.

Spinosad is highly toxic to the honeybee :|

which is just one4 of the reasons listed for the unusual decline in bees in the U.S.

http://www.nrdc.org/wildlife/animals/bees.asp?gclid=COGXmNb6oLgCFcyj4AodSzcA3Q