•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Wrecks

Orange Bud - Skunk

Welcome :)

I wanted to kind of start fresh with a complete report on a single flower run.

From DP "One of the original skunk (100% skunk!) varieties......... Orange Bud was selected from outstanding Skunk genetics in the early 80's,"

I flowered some motherplants of this, but they did very poorly. They are hungry plants, and I was starving them. My mineral nutes are completely devoid of calcium and magnesium. Mayhap I'll take care of that now. A little reading works wonders.

I planted these rooted clones out 5 days ago into straight Sunshine Mix #4 (with additional perlite, and 1/2 Tablespoon / gallon of Dolo lime, bact. and fung. innoc.'s) and then watered them in to the point of run-off. I'll be testing the soil pH when this round is over. I'm going to try to keep my water at pH 6.3. It shouldn't drop too low when I add nutes; right around 6, probably. I'll check it.

They will be fed 100% inorganically. The first full feeding will come shortly; as soon as this first wet/dry cycle is up. The target for veg. is 2 weeks.

I'm working on some upgrades. I'm going to have flood/drain tables for veg and flower. No matter how I grow, it will make things easier.

Here's some shots. Day 5 of veg.

On day 3, they looked to be growing again, so I decided to take off all of the lower growth.

gallery_6332_3870_36529.jpg

Had to guess with this one. Camera was held up into the corner.

gallery_6332_3870_40737.jpg

Here are all 18. 6 plants / 90W light, or 15 watts per plant. I hope they don't get too stretchy, my lights lose their effectiveness rapidly, the further they are away. I think I will do some main stem pinching. I have the lights at a fairly intense 8"-10" above them.

gallery_6332_3870_205551.jpg

gallery_6332_3870_134621.jpg

gallery_6332_3870_54809.jpg

It's been awhile since I've had a decent harvest. Let's see if I can get my shit together with this Skunk. I will update this when I switch to 12/12. I just don't want to flower until they've had some rooting time, and at least one good feeding :)

• Like 4

Good luck man.

When I was younger the Cali O in my area was phenomenal. Great smell and flavor, hardcore orange peel skunk. Used to get top dollar for it. That strain got me pinched going into Canada, stunk right through 3 bags wrapped in tape.

Unfortunately, the DP version I tried after the growers of the cut from area were busted was nothing like the Cali-O. Lots of bright orange hairs, but very bland smell and flavor and virtually no high. Hope yours give you something good.

Cheers

• Like 1

Good luck man.

When I was younger the Cali O in my area was phenomenal. Great smell and flavor, hardcore orange peel skunk. Used to get top dollar for it. That strain got me pinched going into Canada, stunk right through 3 bags wrapped in tape.

Unfortunately, the DP version I tried after the growers of the cut from area were busted was nothing like the Cali-O. Lots of bright orange hairs, but very bland smell and flavor and virtually no high. Hope yours give you something good.

Cheers

Have you tried

Homegrown Fantaseeds - Californian Orange

Oh Yeah,wrecks...reminds me of old Times back in the 90´!!! OrangeBud was one of the first strains i grew out. OB had a strong fruity-sweet flavor of ripe oranges :icecream: (its name fits exactly!!) ...good stuff to have a party :jump:

good luck with your babies,wrecks...i´m in for the ride !

@ Useless;

I hope that was this http://en.seedfinder.eu/strain-info/Californian_Orange/Dutch_Passion/

I have this http://en.seedfinder.eu/strain-info/Orange_Bud/Dutch_Passion/ Whatever the case, I hope mine turns out better than that. Thanks for the best wishes. :)

@ Saxo;

I'm hoping it is more like that! :) I picked this strain because I wanted an old Skunk; something unchanged from when I started smoking weed, and the early 80's was about then.

@ Useless;

I hope that was this http://en.seedfinder.../Dutch_Passion/ .....

@ Saxo;

I'm hoping it is more like that! :) I picked this strain because I wanted an old Skunk; something unchanged from when I started smoking weed, and the early 80's was about then.

...Hmm,OB is probably not the right choice to get Cali O-like plants imho,wrecks....."Orange Bud" is known for it´s sweet,Orange like skunks-taste(hence the name).....i don´t think,you´ll recive Cali Orange -like buds from Orange Bud

Fingers crossed,Bro ;)

I do want the all skunk Orange Bud. I was referring to the Cali-O in regards to Useless' comment.

I'm growing what I wanted, according to breeders info. :)

Have you tried

Homegrown Fantaseeds - Californian Orange

I have, but it was years ago, as in 18 years. Not much named strains I tried at the time, and honestly, I was ignorant about all that strain jazz being a teenager haha. It was after a shift at KFC, my first job lol, I wanted to buy an 8th, the guy called it, Californian Orange. It did smell and taste of Oranges. For a light weight, non regular user, it was a fun ride. One of the better bags I bought when I was younger.

@ wrecks, I can't wait to see the sticky Orange buds :) Peace.

• Like 1

I have not tried the HGF version. The DP version I tried was such a disappointment I gave up on anyone actually having proper Cali-O in seed form. I honestly can't remember if it was Cali-O or OB that I had tried. It's also kind of confusing, as we always called the Cali-O, OB for short. Back then strain names weren't important. You called weed what it looked or smelled like. You had mexican (usually we called it brick or sometimes gas weed due to it being smuggled in gas tanks), red hair (usually the panama red, but could be any mid grade sensemilla, not compressed), green bud (high grade green flowers with few red hairs) and skunk (the real skunk, what people call RKS now), and the Cali-O/OB.

The growers I used to get it from were the biggest producers of it on the west coast. They got pinched around '95-'96. They were big time into real estate, and had 11 houses all get raided the same day. Each house was gutted and had nothing but plants in every single room. They were very secretive, the undercover DEA agent that infiltrated their group took 3 years before he got the info required to nail them.

I wish I could my hands on the cut they used. Always wanted to cross it to Lemonberry.

Good luck to you man, hoping you find sick ass orange peel skunk to enjoy.

• Like 1

I'm going to flower these now. That will be 8 days from planting out well rooted clones.

I've fed them once, and I'd like to flower while all of the growth is now right at the top.

As you can see, I've been pretty severe with the pruning. They are heads on a stick.

gallery_6332_3870_90718.jpg

They are all looking pretty sturdy up top. Hard to say what the end result will be, but if I bring them through half decently, they should produce some decent nugs.

gallery_6332_3870_34320.jpg

I was going to keep my updates down to once/week, but I was doing a 30 minute dome off test on some clones last night, and I just woke up after an epic after supper couch / movie sleep, and I'm awake at ridiculous o'clock. After 6 hours, the clones looked a little wilty, but all in all, I'm happy and confident 10 days in. This strain seems to clone very well, and quickly. It's looking like they'll all take root at the same time, which I like.

While I was at it, I took a couple of pictures in the flower room. This would be not quite 3 days since I took the last pic. While I'm not thrilled with vertical growth, they are shooting up fast, but they are also getting bulked up. To give some reality, The diameter of this circle is about 20", or say 50cm :)

gallery_6332_3870_118513.jpg

I've noticed before that in my pics, sometimes it looks like my lights are hovering about 3 or 4 feet over the canopy.

This is not the case. I have a pic which shows that, and also maybe why I try to be such a canopy control freak with heavy early lollypopping and such.

gallery_6332_3870_60874.jpg

This is the first time I've grown single top plants in individual pots. So far, I really like the mobility. It's great to be able to pull them out, mix and match, whatever. The only downside is how many clones and pots you have to have on the go.

I'll have to get these magical tables on the go toot sweet here, also. That will certainly make everything easier. I have a water/on/tap syphon rig ready to go. I still want to do any final flushing from the top down.

And that's the way it is. :)

Hi Wrecks,

Good idea those strain, i recently wake-up with a desire as big as pregnant ladies for old school skunk, memories back to early 80's first Skunk i smoked in the A/R'Dams. Strangely, it became quite rare, even all mostly of our actual strains got some skunk lineage and relationship, the pure one is not more often shown.

I had launch an old bunch of Sensiseeds seeds, should be some Skunk in it.

Good grow and take care ;)

You grow some crazy good stuff, so that sounds good coming from you. Thanks, La Vie. :)

I hope this is some good old Skunk. Dutch Passion doesn't have a great reputation, but according to them, this stuff is unchanged for 30 years. It's supposed to be tasty and fast, and yield pretty well. I want to fill up some jars before I even start thinking about another strain. It's easier to be patient when you have some weed to smoke. ;)

Well, I`ve come to a point in my nute research, where I have tracked down and obtained what I need for my plants, all things considered. To make a long story short, I`ll have everything I need, but there`ll be a lot of mixing; some in the soil, some in the nutes, and as an end result, my NPK and some other macronutrient levels will always be a guess. I think that before too long, my complete recipe will be;

SOIL

Sunshine Mix 4

perlite

fungal and bacterial innoc`s

GH Rare Earth

NUTRIENTS

GH FloraNova Grow

Total Nitrogen (N)....................................7.0%

0.9% Ammoniacal Nitrogen

6.1% Nitrate Nitrogen

Available Phosphate (P2O5).....................4.0%

Soluble Potash (K2O)..............................10.0%

Calcium (Ca).............................................4.0%

Magnesium (Mg)......................................1.5%

1.5% Water Soluble Magnesium (Mg)

Sulfur (S)..................................................2.0%

2.0% Combined Sulfur (S)

Boron (B)................................................0.01%

Chlorine (Cl)...........................................0.01%

Cobalt (Co)...........................................0.002%

Copper (Cu)............................................0.01%

0.01% Chelated Copper (Cu)

Iron (Fe)....................................................0.1%

0.1% Chelated Iron (Fe)

Manganese (Mn)....................................0.03%

0.03% Chelated Manganese (Mn)

Molybdenum (Mo)...............................0.003%

Zinc (Zn)..................................................0.02%

FloraNova Bloom

Nitrogen (N)....................................................4.0%

0.25% Ammoniacal Nitrogen

3.75% Nitrate Nitrogen

Available Phosphate (P2O5)............................8.0%

Soluble Potash (K2O).......................................7.0%

Calcium (Ca).....................................................4.0%

Magnesium (Mg).............................................2.0%

2.0% Water Soluble Magnesium (Mg)

Sulfur (S)..........................................................2.0%

2.0% Combined Sulfur (S)

Boron (B)........................................................0.01%

Chlorine (Cl)...................................................0.01%

Cobalt (Co)...................................................0.002%

Copper (Cu)...................................................0.01%

0.01% Chelated Copper (Cu)

Iron (Fe)...........................................................0.1%

0.1% Chelated Iron (Fe)

Manganese (Mn)...........................................0.03%

0.03% Chelated Manganese (Mn)

Molybdenum (Mo)......................................0.003%

Zinc (Zn).........................................................0.01%

Wow, is there ever a lot of snake oil out there. I noticed that some companies don`t even provide a guaranteed analysis for their $100 Bud Boner. What a racket. I like these guys, though. Very transparent, and good concentrations of NPK in there, so you don`t have to use a whole bunch.

I was trying to stay away from the plug and play nutes, but I will switch. I can hardly wait. :)

Hey wrecks

The FN series is pretty decent. I usually suggest it to new growers due to its ease of use. You don't even need the grow if you want to keep it super easy. The FN Bloom at 8 ml per gallon is virtually identical to the Lucas formula. The one thing I have noticed is that it takes a bit longer for the final flushing before chop to get the nice soft white ash when smoking the dried flowers. Seems to be a bit slower for the plants to uptake and remains in the soil longer. I always flush the Flora series (3 part) for 2 weeks prior to harvest, the FN needs about 3 weeks of plain water to exhaust the soil and allow the plants to metabolize the stored nutrients. Other than that, the stuff is great for a single bottle nutrient requiring no mixing.

• Like 1

That's good to know about the flushing, Useless; thanks. :) I do want to have some really smooth, easy smoking buds

I made myself a promise to document this grow, no matter what happens, or if things look silly, or whatever. They've had about 9 days of 12/12 now, and are starting to put out real flowering pistils. I've about finished pruning now. With my lights, I have a narrow band that can really produce something, so that is the reason for the severe pruning. I just don't want the plants wasting energy on something I'm going to cut off later, anyway.

First off, I like these plants, and as I may have fucked over my next mothers, I decided to pull 2 of the smallest plants back into veg for some insurance.

gallery_6332_3870_148257.jpg

They kind of look the same, don't they? If I didn't prune, this pic would look impressive, but I am anticipating a fair bit of stretch yet.

gallery_6332_3870_8264.jpg

gallery_6332_3870_80579.jpg

Here's a shot of the lower growth

gallery_6332_3870_63698.jpg

...and the beginnings

gallery_6332_3870_61403.jpg

They look bloody silly, do they not? I have a feeling that they won't look so silly in another 6 weeks or so. :)

So far, there are no signs of my old def. creeping in. Growth seems good, and all of the leaves are straight and true.

I will stick with the CalMag+ with every feeding. The stuff is a perfect addition to my particular nutes and tapwater.

Next grow, I will carefully introduce some sulphur and silicon into the media, and I think that will have all of the bases covered for my plants nutrition. It will be kind of neat to worm my way through the problems I've encountered, and amend it all with my various powders and liquids, and come out the other side with a solid nute regime, and some nice buds.

It will also be neat when I say OK, well done, now fuck all of this bullshit, and buy a couple of gallons of FN. :)

Thanks for dropping by. Ciao for now. :)

• Like 1

They look good Wrecks, and with the LED the way you poodle-shaved them will work out.

I used Flora Nova for a few runs. You have to absolutely shake the shit out of the bottle before using it or things will fuck up large.

You cannot pre-mix a jug of nutes with FN or it will settle and not remix properly. It's good stuff but the regular Flora series is much easier to work with and way, way cheaper.

Keep at it brother.

RM

Thanks for the nice words, Rev. :)

Good to know about the care needed when mixing that stuff. I'm sure that when the time comes, it will be one of the two. I was also liking the look of the 3 part Flora nutes.

I can't be a GH fanboy, as I've never used anything much from them, but what I did see when I was looking at a whole lot of products was that GH has an open guaranteed analysis on all of their stuff, whereas I saw a lot of others talk about ``secret formulas``

That is good enough for me. I like their style of just saying openly what is in their stuff.

For now, with this Skunk, I`m going to keep going as is. It is a time for experimentation as I see what works for me and this SOG-like style, but maybe 2 or 3 grows down the road, I`d like to have everything cased once, and do a perfect run.

I'm excited like this was my first grow! About 12 days of 12/12 now, and they've formed the beginning cluster, about the size of a pencil eraser. They are coming on faster than anything I've had going before. Leaves are looking perfect; no curling, and they just look ready to burst forth. A little early yet, and I think I'm 20 or 30 years behind the times, but I am a Skunk fan boy. WOOT! :)

Hello, I'm back again, and now my pictures have some flowers in them. :)

These had their first 12 hour light period from the evening of July 1 to the morning of July 2. They've gotten very tall, and are extremely lollypopped. Even now, with the little bit of extra meat, I have to be careful moving them around. I'm definitely going to have to brace them all up, they have some alarming sway already.

gallery_6332_3870_128472.jpg

gallery_6332_3870_156396.jpg

Planning for the future. For the first time, I added some sulphur and silicon (rare earth) to my soil. They seem to be OK with what I've given them so far.

gallery_6332_3870_218100.jpg

First topping done. One more to go, and I should have lots of cuts to choose from for the next round

gallery_6332_3870_130745.jpg

Sorry little buddy, but you're just too small. I know if I was counting only on you to keep going, you would've done me proud.

gallery_6332_3870_134625.jpg

A little sideline on those clones; (they all made it; 8/8 ) I'd noticed in a previous round of cloning that by the time they'd rooted, the leaves were quite yellow, so this last time, I gave them a little bit of nutes . It stopped the rooting dead in it's tracks. I pulled them all out after 2 weeks, and nothing. I washed them, made some small cuts on the stems, hit them with some more rooting powder, re-cut, and replanted in some fresh cubes, and a week later, BLAM! Roots. I almost blew it big time. I think I'm very lucky.

• Like 1

Yes, the plants seem to like their lovely blue light. :)

@ Dogs; I have dulled my senses of smell and taste with smoking. It would be nice to have a fresh nose in there to see what I'm missing. I catch a general sweet floral smell when I go in there, but nothing specific.

• Like 1

Nice. I know how this is going to turn out...lots of buds, and very happy friends of the grower :) Looking good in there. Peace.

• Like 1