•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

mack 10

Shackzilla.

Ola Opengrower's!! Time has come for me and shackzilla to get up close and personal,,lol..Can't beat some trusty Sannie genetics. This girl's been grown in soil and fed (bottled) organics. (Oldtimer # 1 Grow)

Here she is...gallery_2203_1243_1047925.jpg Mack

• Like 4

Shackzilla is easy to grow, doesn´t need much fertilizer and yields high... what you want more?

B.t.w. The high is strong and lasts long.

smile

• Like 1

I'll be following in your footsteps on this strain. She will probably dominate my fall grow, if her growth lives up to expectations.

Maybe you could help answer couple of questions for me. I'm going to be starting this strain here pretty quick myself.

Mine will be an indoor grow.

Can I ask how long you vegged this before turning the light timer to 12/12?

Do you count the veg time as beginning when you see the first sets of leaves? That confuses me.

I'm going to start mine in the sponge pots I purchased from Sannie's. After the plant gets started, and I'm ready to put that into a pot, do you recommend I go into an intermediary pot for a little while or go directly to the final flowering pot?

Since I am using organic soil as the medium, I was thinking about going to a 5 gallon pot. From sponge pot to 5 gallon pot seems like a huge leap, doesn't it?

Maybe you could help answer couple of questions for me. I'm going to be starting this strain here pretty quick myself.

Mine will be an indoor grow.

Can I ask how long you vegged this before turning the light timer to 12/12?

Do you count the veg time as beginning when you see the first sets of leaves? That confuses me.

I'm going to start mine in the sponge pots I purchased from Sannie's. After the plant gets started, and I'm ready to put that into a pot, do you recommend I go into an intermediary pot for a little while or go directly to the final flowering pot?

Since I am using organic soil as the medium, I was thinking about going to a 5 gallon pot. From sponge pot to 5 gallon pot seems like a huge leap, doesn't it?

I know you're not asking me but I'll throw it out there that I vegged mine for 9 days and she ended up 5 feet tall. Also, I believe that technically vegging starts once the first set of leaves opens up.

I counted my 9 days starting at day one in a 6 inch pot. I went into a 6 inch pot after a few days in the sponge pots. Luckily I saw sannies video showing such a short veg time b/c when I grew shack she was my first sativa and I would have done too long a veg time and she would have outgrew my tent. FWIW, I went 12/12 for about 13 weeks.

You should check out sannies video of his shack grow. That will give you an idea of what you're dealing with. It's under the "grow youtubes" on his webpage.

I know you're not asking me but I'll throw it out there that I vegged mine for 9 days and she ended up 5 feet tall. Also, I believe that technically vegging starts once the first set of leaves opens up.

I counted my 9 days starting at day one in a 6 inch pot. I went into a 6 inch pot after a few days in the sponge pots. Luckily I saw sannies video showing such a short veg time b/c when I grew shack she was my first sativa and I would have done too long a veg time and she would have outgrew my tent. FWIW, I went 12/12 for about 13 weeks.

Thank you Edgar9. That is really helpful.

I saw that same video and it's what prompted my questions.

So nine days in your 6 inch pot. A 6 in. square pot is about a 3/4 gallon pot I think. Does that sound about right to you?

Can I ask how big you put it into for the balance of the grow?

Did you top your plants? Or do any kind of training with them to keep the height manageable?

Growing them as you did, how tall did your plants get and how big around? Just trying to judge my space needs here.

And here's one last silly question for you… Is the high more of a head high from this? Is it a daytime high that you could basically function with?

Top:

I can only answer the last question -- yes, it's mostly a head high, but it has noticeable body buzz effects. You can function quite well.

If you want to put a number on it, I'd say about 70% sativa.

Thank you Edgar9. That is really helpful.

I saw that same video and it's what prompted my questions.

So nine days in your 6 inch pot. A 6 in. square pot is about a 3/4 gallon pot I think. Does that sound about right to you?

Can I ask how big you put it into for the balance of the grow?

Did you top your plants? Or do any kind of training with them to keep the height manageable?

Growing them as you did, how tall did your plants get and how big around? Just trying to judge my space needs here.

And here's one last silly question for you… Is the high more of a head high from this? Is it a daytime high that you could basically function with?

1. The six inch pots were just typical 6 inch clay pots that one would see anywhere. You know the burnt orange ones. I think they hold about half a gallon. I always go from starter cube after a few day to the 6 inch pots next. After about 4 to 7 days in the 6 inch pots you'll notice the white root peeking out of the bottom hole. At this point I always go into a 5 gallon to give them room to run. Thinking back, since you asked, I may have only done the 6 inch pots for something like 5 days and then into the 5 gallon buckets, but the entire veg time was nine days, I have that in my notes. After about 9 days the plants were roughly about the same size as the ones in sannies video. I think he even vegged a few days less, but he was also using a bigger light, I use a 400 watt in a 3x3 tent.

2. I always go into 5 gallon buckets from home depot. I drill a bunch of holes in the bottom and fill them with about 4 gallons of soil. As mentioned I always go into the 5 gallons once I see the roots showing through the hole in the bottom of the 6 inch pots.

3. I had two shack plants. I topped one and didn't top the other. The one that wasn't topped grew a massive, fat cola. I think the untopped on actually gave a higher yield b/c that cola was so huge. Topped or untopped they were the same height. The only advantage to topping would be smaller colas which would be benificial if you knew you were going to have high humidity conditions. Going foward with shack I will not be topping.

4. They both were about 4.5 feet tall in the buckets. Head room got tight. I had to rig my light so that is was flush with the top of my tent. Growing these plants made me realize I need a tent with more head room.

5. As far as girth these plants are pretty wide. They're like little xmass trees. In sannies video he must of sacrificed some side branches to stuff all those plant in his tent like that. I use a 3x3 tent so that's what I'll use to describe girth. In a 3x3 tent you could fit 3 shacks comfortably and then have a fourth plant, another strain of smaller size, in perhaps a 3 gallon bucket. 4 shack plants in a 3x3 would be tough for me b/c I like to be able to pull my plants out for inspection and watering. It's mainly the side branches that get tangled up that make it difficult to have more than 3 of these plants in a smaller tent. If you don't remove them from your space, in that they will be staying put, you could pull off 4 in a 3x3 and have a little jungle going on.

6. The high is a sativa high. Very nice for daytime and having to get stuff done. When I had correspondence with sannie about the strain he said shack was the most popular strain in the amsterdam coffee shops and I see why. It's nice.

On a side note expect the plants to grow about 2 to even 3 inches a day during weeks 4 to 5 in flower. Constant light height adjustments are needed during this time period b/c of this.

One more thing. I'd use a carbon filter b/c this strain gives off a lot of smell.

• Like 1

I'm so glad I asked. Your answers are setting my mind at ease.

1. The six inch pots were just typical 6 inch clay pots that one would see anywhere. You know the burnt orange ones. I think they hold about half a gallon. I always go from starter cube after a few day to the 6 inch pots next. After about 4 to 7 days in the 6 inch pots you'll notice the white root peeking out of the bottom hole. At this point I always go into a 5 gallon to give them room to run. Thinking back, since you asked, I may have only done the 6 inch pots for something like 5 days and then into the 5 gallon buckets, but the entire veg time was nine days, I have that in my notes. After about 9 days the plants were roughly about the same size as the ones in sannies video. I think he even vegged a few days less, but he was also using a bigger light, I use a 400 watt in a 3x3 tent.

This confirms what I was thinking too... starter cube to intermediary pot to ultimate pot. Very doable.

Also, that you went to 5 gallon pots confirms what I was thinking there as well. I would love to go to 7's but I think it might make the plants get too big. And in my space I think 5's are about as big as I should probably go.

3. I had two shack plants. I topped one and didn't top the other. The one that wasn't topped grew a massive, fat cola. I think the untopped on actually gave a higher yield b/c that cola was so huge. Topped or untopped they were the same height. The only advantage to topping would be smaller colas which would be benificial if you knew you were going to have high humidity conditions. Going foward with shack I will not be topping.

That's also really good to know. I have better than 8' ceilings. Subtract for the light and for the pot and I need to be reasonably careful too of how tall these could get.

What did you use to support the cola and branches as they got tall?

A big cola sounds delicious. Somehow I thought that if you topped, the two new colas would be as large as what the untopped cola would've been. So this is really good to know.

Did you do anything else to control their height? LST or anything?

5. As far as girth these plants are pretty wide. They're like little xmass trees. In sannies video he must of sacrificed some side branches to stuff all those plant in his tent like that. I use a 3x3 tent so that's what I'll use to describe girth. In a 3x3 tent you could fit 3 shacks comfortably and then have a fourth plant, another strain of smaller size, in perhaps a 3 gallon bucket. 4 shack plants in a 3x3 would be tough for me b/c I like to be able to pull my plants out for inspection and watering. It's mainly the side branches that get tangled up that make it difficult to have more than 3 of these plants in a smaller tent. If you don't remove them from your space, in that they will be staying put, you could pull off 4 in a 3x3 and have a little jungle going on.

Finally, I have something to compare the size with that I can relate to. Thank you! :)

I have a 4' x 4' x 7' tent that I will be using just for vegging and maintaining a few mothers. With the short veg times, I will be getting less use out of this tent than I had thought. LOL

My flowering space is 4 x 6. So using your measurements, if I cut my space in two lengthwise I would have 2 areas of 3 x 4. and in that space, I think I could probably put 4 plants. Using all of my space then, 8-9 plants - under two lights. It will probably still be like a jungle. :)

The high you described sounds nice. I definitely like high as opposed to stoned.

That's great information to know about the speed of growth and the smell.

With the really fast veg time, I'm having to rethink my ideas on cloning. It makes sense to me now, to maintain mothers in my veg tent. Do you have an opinion as to what size pot you would use to maintain a small mother?

To maximize my flowering space, I'm thinking of putting 3 new plants (clones when I get up and running) into the flowering room each month. This should allow me to harvest three plants per month approximately. I can afford that way to give my bigger plants a bit more room and the new smaller plants will take up a bit less room. Do you have any thoughts on that? Does it seem reasonable?

How did your harvest go? How much did you end up netting ounce wise from your three plants?

By chance have you also grown Sannie's Jack or Killing Fields?

@topoput, 5 gallons will be fine. I noticed when breaking everything down after harvest and inspecting the roots that the roots had plenty of room with the 5's. The only time I've noticed people using more than 5's was for outdoor grows. I think sannie even used 3's in his video. I like 5's b/c you don't have to irrigate as much. It would take me a week's time before having to irrigate again which was convenient.

I didn't use anything to support the main cola b/c the main stem was "roid" like. That main stem was a beast. Lot's of airflow builds strong main stems. I did use some of those twist clips they sell to support some of the side branches b/c I move the plants in and out of the tent for inspection and irrigation. I'd join a couple of branches together for support.

When you top a plant the cola's get smaller each time but you have more of them. As mentioned I feel the untopped plant had more grams per plant when finished.

Didn't do anything to control height with the shacks. I had a madshack in the tent though and I had to tie her down near the end. That strain is even a little taller than shack. Technically mad shack outgrew my 72" jardin tent. I need a gorrilla tent for sativa's. It sounds like you have a gorrilla yourself.

I've never had a mother plant but from what I've seen and read 5 gallons should be the minimum. For a small mother like you mentioned I would think 5 gallons shoud be fine.

In terms of your perpetual grow plan, with your size tent 4 plants should leave room for some additional small plants down the line. Eventually you'll run out of room and all the plants will be different sizes so you'll have to have a way to even out the canopy. I use overturned buckets and or this plastic bookshelf that comes apart so you can adjust the height.

The harvest went great. Totally dried, trimmed and broken down with minimal stems, I got a good 2 oz's per plant.

The only other sannies strains I've grown are madshack, jackberry and mad scientist.

With all this talk about shack I'm about to place an order.

This is really helpful Edgar9.

I like the idea of 5s also, because I will be doing organic. And that gives enough soil to be able to keep the nutrients stable for pretty much the whole grow. At least from what I understand. My ingredients will be here in the next week and I will start the soil so that it can sit for 30 days before I need to use it.

Let me explain my spaces just a little better. I do have a 4' x 4' gorilla tent. This will be dedicated to veg and in it will also be the mothers that I'm going to keep. I have a large office, and right next to my desk will sit the veg tent.

Off of the office is the bathroom. I will be giving that up for my flower space. (small price to pay. LOL) It's overall dimensions are 9' long x 6' wide x 8' tall. When you enter the bathroom, at the far end, is a shower. I will be removing the shower doors to use the space better.

Leaving the door open during the day to the bathroom will allow the air-conditioner to easily keep the whole space at good temperature and humidity.

So the width of the shower is actually 6'. And between the far wall of the shower and the loo, is 4 feet. So my space available in my flower area is 6' x 4'. There's actually a bit more space than that, but that is solid usable space.

Part of the challenge is that this space is only accessible from one side. It's not like a tent in the middle of the room that's accessible on 3 sides.

Since I want to use fabric pots of some kind, I'm thinking I will put them on milk crates or the equivalent so the drainage is not an issue.

Overall, if I did a full scrog, I would not easily be able to access the plants in the back. Further, I would like this to be perpetual so that I can make adjustments if I need to more effectively than having to wait a full cycle.

I could do an individual screen above each plant but that would probably cause me to reduce the total number of plants. The other option could be to not use a scrog and possibly put more plants in the space. Along the 6' wall I was figuring I could put four plants, each in a 5 gallon container. And I can put at least one more row of 4 in front of those. Or, three rows of three.

While this may not be exactly possible in my space, my thought was originally, all of the plants I'm growing have approximately 12 weeks veg cycle. So if I start 2-4 new plants such that they are ready to enter the flower room approximately every 30 days, I can have three strains running. And once I complete one full cycle, I would have my choice of three different strains for medicating whenever I want. Each month would be harvesting 2-4 plants.

Like you said, I would have to adjust the height of both the lights and the plants by using crates or a bookshelf or what have you. But I think I can do that.

I feel like these are my options…

1. start the plants such that 2 enter the flower room each month. Each plant would have an individual scrog screen for it. This would give me a harvest of two plants per month once things got rolling. That feels very low to me.

2. start the plants such that as many as 3 or 4 enter the flower room each month. This would be packing them closer together and I don't believe there would be enough room for individual screens above each plant. Though maybe I'm wrong.

3. get my mother's going, clone them and put between 6 and 12 plants (depending on if using scrog or not) in the flower room all at once instead of running it perpetually.

With 24 square feet of space for my flower area, with the constraints I have told you, what would you do?

@topoput:

For starters, I don't like fabric pots. I tried using them and they stay wet too long b/c the fabric itself gets wet and stays wet after you irrigate. I think it increases your chances for mold issues and therefore bud rot b/c a bunch of wet fabric pots increases the humidity levels in your grow area.

I'm also not into scrogging. The idea is cool, but I wouldn't do it unless I had a huge room to grow in. I like to be able to remove my plants from my grow area for inspection/irrigation/removal of dead leaves, etc.. I also like to keep my grow area super clean. Scrogging makes what I like to do when growing just that much more difficult. You're also not going to get those big main colas that we talked about if you scrog.

I'm also not into cloning. I like to start from seed each time.

If it were me, with the area you have, I would do the 3rd option you mentioned. It's kind of a pain having different sized plants in a grow area IMO. I'd just keep it simple and get a bunch of plants going in your flower area. When they are close to being done, start up some more in your veg area and keep the cycle going that way. I know you want to do a mother plant but I'd also alternate between sativa and indica. That's what I do. When my shack and madshack were a month out from harvest I started some mad scientist vegging outside my tent under a tek 4. When the flowering plants were done, the mad scientist went right into the flower tent. Everything worked well that way. I had more bud than I knew what to do with.

Don't forget that you'll need room to hang dry during harvest and harvesting even just a few plants is a lot of work. The "hobby" becomes a "job" real quick if you get too big.

I really appreciate your advice. A few tips like you have given me will save me much frustration later. :-)

And I kind of like the idea of doing everything all at once and letting the grow happen. I can always convert to perpetual down the road if I want to. Been vacillating back-and-forth on this one. But probably good to get some experience under my belt.

The idea of clones really excites me. I didn't realize that's what they were but when I was young my grandmother used to always clip plants that she wanted and start them in our home. To do the same kind of thing reminds me of my youth.

Thanks again. I'm looking forward to talking with you in the future.