•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

robogro

Why I changed my mind on weed

Why I changed my mind on weed

By Dr. Sanjay Gupta, CNN Chief Medical Correspondent

updated 8:44 PM EDT, Thu August 8, 2013

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/08/health/gupta-changed-mind-marijuana/index.html?hpt=he_t3

(starts off as below....)

Watch Dr. Sanjay Gupta's groundbreaking documentary "WEED" at 8 p.m. ET August 11 on CNN.

(CNN) -- Over the last year, I have been working on a new documentary called "Weed." The title "Weed" may sound cavalier, but the content is not.

I traveled around the world to interview medical leaders, experts, growers and patients. I spoke candidly to them, asking tough questions. What I found was stunning.

Long before I began this project, I had steadily reviewed the scientific literature on medical marijuana from the United States and thought it was fairly unimpressive. Reading these papers five years ago, it was hard to make a case for medicinal marijuana. I even wrote about this in a TIME magazine article, back in 2009, titled "Why I would Vote No on Pot."

Well, I am here to apologize.

I apologize because I didn't look hard enough, until now. I didn't look far enough. I didn't review papers from smaller labs in other countries doing some remarkable research, and I was too dismissive of the loud chorus of legitimate patients whose symptoms improved on cannabis.

Instead, I lumped them with the high-visibility malingerers, just looking to get high. I mistakenly believed the Drug Enforcement Agency listed marijuana as a schedule 1 substance because of sound scientific proof. Surely, they must have quality reasoning as to why marijuana is in the category of the most dangerous drugs that have "no accepted medicinal use and a high potential for abuse."

like most...against something without knowing anything about it. At least he maned up and said he was wrong. :wave:

• Like 7

Got the dvr set.

Good to hear reputable folks calling out the govt. about its history of lies about mmj. Only a matter of time now.

• Like 2

I have been a smoker since the 70s with a bit of time off from actually smoking it, I have always been a proponent of recreational smoking. I felt the medical aspect was a loophole and for many it is.

However, a good friend of mine that is a doctor changed my mind.

The reason that most opiates work is because they distract people from pain, often with euphoria, but none the less, that is how it works. It does not kill pain. However, opiates are very addicting and the side effects are everything from bawl disorders, to mood disorders (often violent), appetite problems, stomach problems, and sexual side effects. And in my personal opinions people that are pill heads are some of the sneakiest, lowest, less compassionate people I know. I have close family members that are pill heads (mother, brother) and they are no better than the others I know. Pill heads will do some pretty low things to friends or families to get pills. And once a pill source dries up a good many resort to the cheaper more readily available heroin. I am 52 years old and have broken 11 bones over the years playing hard. I like to binge on pills once in awhile and I do not like what I seen in myself when I look back at times l did it. Opiates are not a answer, and not a long term answer. Many many a doctor will give you pot for life, but when it comes to opiates they are very restrictive.

My friend the doctor and I talked about anti depressants. There are so many strains of weed available that if you cannot find one that works as a natural anti depressant I would be shocked. Anti depressants cause a lot of side effects, mood disorders and sexual dysfunction.

Now what is pot good for medically?

Anti depressants

Pain

Eating disorders

Sexual disorders

Muscle spasms

Addiction assistance to opiates and alcohol

Sleep disorders

Dealing with mental problems like your last days on earth

There is a strain available for just about any problem that deals with the mind or central nervous system. It doesn't cure anything, it helps one cope with many things.

Ask most doctors and they tell you that the biggest problem treating people is neurosis. They imagine themselves sick. That is a real problem.

What are the side effects of smoking? Nothing compared to most pills and alcohol.

Marijuana is safer than Tylenol. Tylenol will destroy your liver and I know a victim of that personally.

Many people self medicate with many things legal and not. Nothing is as safe for self medicating as marijuana. Marijuana is safer than most food being offered to the general public.

• Like 6

It's is good to see major networks giving this air time. Getting the truth to the masses is the only way to stop the machine that is the dea/prison industry in the states!

I agree with Randude's post on many levels.

I have severe muscle/nerve pain in my lower back and legs from 3 extremely herniated disks. My old Dr. started me on opiates(morphine) and a host of other 'needed' medications about 11 years ago and as my pain increased, the stronger the dosages he prescribed me. The last pills that were prescribed to me were 10x stronger than regular morphine.

The morphine has done a number on my eyesight and it's bad for EVERY organ in your body... the same thing cannot be said about cannabis. There are natural cannabis receptors in every one of our brains... we were born with them. Opiates end up in the top of our spine and work by 'blocking' nerve information from the body to the brain... making it easy to overdose.

Last summer I decided to stop taking the morphine capsuls and use cannabis exclusively. I grew out a diesel/fruit scented, pine flavored pheno of Casey Jones and used it to ease myself off the morphine. It has worked out very well for me.

I grow strains that ease my many conditions, whether its sativa with good CBD content for pain relief or an incredibly potent indica for help with pain/spasms or staying asleep through the night. There are a lot of hybrids that are great meds as well. I've gotten a lot of comfort from growing/using the strains that Sannie & Crew( and others) have bred and refined for us to grow ourselves. There are so many strains to choose from, but I'm more about flavor & effect than I am about visual appeal.

Research is key on issues like this. I like that he takes responsibility for his previous ignorance and is trying to do the right thing now, but I don't think the good Dr. Sanjay Gupta has enough presence to sway anyone in the government. Prohibition = control... just the way they like it.

• Like 2

I believe in medicinal cannabis, but I feel it's value is exaggerated. It's like the supplement industry, the many vested interests make it hard to see what is real and what is not. And you are certainly not going to find out the truth on an internet forum full of fanboys. As for recreational use, I support that too, but cannabis like any drug it is not without it's dangers. It can make you lethargic and withdrawn, which may evolve into many other problems that shouldn't be played down.

• Like 1

Yes, medical marijuana is a hoax, except when it isn't.

I have two brothers. One is straight as an arrow, and has been all his life -- recreational drugwise. The other is like me -- living a dual life as a 'professional' and a lifelong pothead. The straight arrow is now on TWO pharmaceutical mind-fuck drugs -- an anti-anxiety med, and some other crap. I wanted to slap him in the head when I learned of this turn of events, but he figures that since a doctor prescribed them, they're safe.

It kills me that I was delivering some Cheeseberry to one brother, while the other could have USED some desperately.

• Like 2

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that cannabis is stronger than the painkillers I was taking were and I don't expect cannabis to take away all the pain, but it does what I need it to without the harsh side effects of the pharmaceuticals that were given to me. I agree that cannabis has side effects, so did ALL the medications I have ever taken, but I don't seem to get many side effects from using cannabis. I am able to turn off the munchies at least.

Also, I know how the cannabis I smoke was grown, what was used and how it was cured. That's one thing that is impossible to know when cannabis is bought at a dispensary.

In my family, my sister was the straight one... I definitely was not! She has never tried anything but maybe a hit or two of cannabis. I, on the other hand, well, we won't go there. Let's just say.. I had just as much fun being a teenager/young adult as most of you did... and then some. My sister has a cupboard full of Rx meds for this and that and I have one full of jars.

For me cannabis is better than Rx in every way... better safe than sorry!

• Like 2

I have been struggling with pain since 2006 and tried many things...

The last 6 years i have been smoking and growing my own cannabis(medicine) and there is no question about it, cannabis grown with only

Natural fertilizers WILL provide every patient/user

With the relief they are looking for.

It only takes time to find that special girl(plant) that suits your needs medicinal or recteational.

Cannabis grown with all natural fertilizer(Complete Organics mix)

Will insure you of a AAA quality yields for medicinal or recteational use.i know it looks like i am

Promoting but im not NAW seeds wants the world to share its quality with all those in need and in search for personal relief/recreation.please everyone explore the balans of nature, if you do and compare youre knowledge with all the natural substances in the complete organics mix you will see pure nature at work

Much love and greetz RhinoCBD

• Like 5