•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Guest BrockSamson

Germnation problems

Guest BrockSamson

Alright, I've been having some germ problems with my new seeds (its getting frustrating cause i know it's my fault) here is what I did for my first attempt (using spongepots)

5 x purple ducksfoot

10 X cheeseberry haze

2 X jackberry MD

1.) Prepared propagator with layer of perlite

2.) Watered the perlite and the sponge pots with 1 lite of bacto water (not quite 70 degrees, i think the water was at about a 60 or 50)

3.) Placed the seeds into the sponge pots

4.) Placed the humidity dome on seedling mat

5.) Closed the humidity dome completely (no windows or anything else open)

Only 1 jackberry seed popped, the rest started developing a fungus on them,didn't pop, turned into white mush

Now I know this is a problem in my method, because I've had 100% success with sponge pots in my past grow.

I suspect that it was a problem with the moisture (too much of it), maybe I should've just kept the windows in the humidity dome half open

Attempt 2

Holy Princess X10

These I placed in between 2 layers of wet paper towls (like a clam between 2 plates)

I then placed the plates on a seedling heating mat.

9 out of 10 seeds popped open and showed tail

I placed 2 of them straight into a light growing medium (6 inch pots), these are beginning to veg now

and 7 of them I placed into another humidity dome (directly into light growing medium) none of them made it

Attempt 3

2 x killing fields

2 x jackberry

I used the sponge pots again, but this time I kept the humidity dome windows open

They all sprouted, the killing fields I've transplanted into 6 inch growing pot

both jackberries however sprouted upside down, the root kept growing upward for one of them, thus I placed that one into a 6 inch pot (root facing down into the pot) and the other I transplanted normally (didn't root into the sponge pot, just placed it root down into growing medium)

It feels as though my humidity and moisture seem to be the underlying causes of these germination failures

Any advice or hints before I start to germ my main crop?

Not sure I can really help since I have been having my own germination problems lately. I do remember somewhere on here in the past that there was a mention of sponge pots going bad or being stored properly.

I hope someone with more info can help. Nothing worse than something going wrong and knowing it is your fault, that is how I feel right now.

Also didn't Sannie post a germination tutorial on here?

Best of luck Brock

Guest BrockSamson

hey thanks man, what strain are you trying to germ?

Yea I saw the tutorial, just don't know what I could be doing wrong (it's pretty straight forward, and has worked great in the past).

Maybe I'm just too fucking high.....?

Never too high!

Use the paper towel method, toss the sponge pots.

Small tupperware container, 1 folded piece of paper towel to make 4 layers goes in the bottom.

Enough bottle drinking water to just soak the p/t, pour off any excess.

place seeds on p/t 1" a part

Cover with another folded piece of p/t, wet and pour off excess.

Put a cover on it, place in a box on the refrigerator or in the cupboard above it.

People who use this method with never post about germ problems again :)

RM

• Like 4

Did you consider soaking your seeds in 3 % hydrogen peroxide for about an hour (some prefer more)? It disinfects and softens the shell, speeding up germination (thus giving fungi less of a chance).

I don't like the sponge pots either.

• Like 1

I'd have 'liked' MostlyMe's advice if I had any left.

Using 3% H2O2 instead of water will solve your fungus problems. Don't use bacto with it, because it will kill the bacto.

I do use spongepots, but there are some quirks, as you have seen. They tend to hold the seed tightly in the pre-existing holes, and if it is not laying sideways, the root can go wayward, and not find its way back into the media. I widen that hole a little by sticking the tip of a pen into it.

I always soak overnight or up to 24 hours in H2O2, then they go into paper towels or directly into spongepots. If the root is sticking out more than a few mm, forget the spongepots and just get them into soil.

• Like 2

I have been using the Rev's paper towel method for 40 years and it has never failed me unless the seeds were just dead on arrival. Time and time and time again I have used the paper towel method without a hitch.

I think weed forums are fun, but there is a lot of bs in them that drives me crazy. Cannabis is a weed.

• Like 1

I use the paper towel method as well, and have for many many years. If the beans are viable they'll sprout. I use a solid coloured cup, paper towel inside with seeds inside PT. place in a warm area like cabinet above the stove or on top of the fridge. Seeds are usually popping in 24 to 48 hours never had a problem using this method. ButchBB

Big ups to Mostly Me for the H202 soak suggestion. I've never done it or needed to do it (26 years of using the p/t method) but if I did have an issue that would be my first step in correcting shit.

Cheers,

RM

I learned sprouting with just soaking in water, then jiffy pellets and then used spongepots, I've had 80-90% germ rates throughout but can say that spongepots and humidity domes leave a lot to be desired.

i am switching to p/t method next time myself, save me space and hassle.

storage of spongepots is an issue, if they dry out, they will never be the same. if they are fresh, they are fine. in regards to mold, I've seen it, been there done that, it's humidity and oversoaked seeds.

seedling mat + humidity dome, i think it must have been 90 degrees at 90% humidity in there... and you dont need the dome for clones either...

Seems as though the mass has spoken Brock!!! I had trouble with the mad scientist seeds but I think that was my error and one out of seven Boudica seeds.

Never heard of the 3% hydro soak, makes sense!!!!

KISS

Take a demakup disc or a kleenex, put your seeds , wet the apparel (not drown), put it on you iNet Box or fridge or whateler the heat source you find.

gallery_992_2944_1572827.jpg

gallery_992_2944_1014772.jpg

gallery_992_2944_2065111.jpg

Everyone has their favorite way to germ seeds. I know tons of people who use the paper towel method, I know others that prefer spongepots or the like. I like to soak my seeds in luke warm water overnight, then plant directly into the soil. This method has worked well for me over the last couple of decades.

I guess what I'm saying is... try as many ways to germ as you would like to and only continue the ones that really work for you.

Germinating seeds can be difficult at times and substrate that is too moist can cause the seeds to drown and die, or other problems, such as Damping Off or varying strains of Pythium, ect.. This is where MostlyMe's post comes into play, the hydrogen peroxide soak kills the bacteria that preys on young seedlings. Be careful not to wet the seedlings substrate too much, it doesn't take very much water to get a new seedling to grow.

Good luck with this issue Brock.

DesertGrown

• Like 1

For sponges, I like 60-80 ppm GH Diamond Nectar in a 0.5% H2O2 solution, but squeeze out the excess-you do not want them soggy. It is 0-1-1 with humic and fulvic acids. I agree with above, that 1-3% peroxide soak for 1-2 hours can speed things up, but just use water when I soak. Paper towels work, but I do not use them. I worry about damaging delicate roots. The GH solution is great for cloning with sponges. The trick is that you do not want the medium too wet or too dry.

Here is a previous post I made about germing seeds.

I have found the soak to be completely unnecessary to germ the seeds from sannie's shop. If they did not sprout, there is a chance that they may have been drowned. Usually, I just plant them in damp coco coir and place them in a plastic dome until they pop(they almost always do in 3-5 days). Here are some pics of a soak I did before this last batch of Killing Fields I am germinating, just to show the process.. I soak them in carbon filtered tap water for 2 hours, or until they sink(5 hours for my last kf f3). I filled my starter trays with a custum organic potting mix that consists of 60% coco coir, 20% sphagnum peat, and 20% hydroton clay + ammendments. They hydroton was removed from the top layer of medium prior to planting. I will post a follow up when these seeds sprout (bottom right).

2 hours of soak, 1 sunken seed.

gallery_7190_3210_808325.jpg

5 hours of soak, and ready to plant.

gallery_7190_3210_1086634.jpg

I make a shallow indentation with my finger ~1cm deep for each seed. The medium should only feel lightly damp, not saturated-seeds need to breath as well.

gallery_7190_3210_1248456.jpg

now they will be cozy in their new home for the next week or 2

gallery_7190_3210_21173.jpg

A large plastic storage bin will keep them humid under the cool led veg light.

gallery_7190_3210_4611.jpg

from left to right, top to bottom, Killing Fields F3, New Blue Diesel, K.F. f3 x Space Queen f3, and Anesthesia.

gallery_7190_3210_344296.jpg

I hope this is helpful to someone.

72 hours after I began the soak, and 7/8 have broken the surface.

gallery_7190_3210_44062.jpg

gallery_7190_3210_263970.jpg

I will keep them in the starter pots and water with a spray bottle until they develop a second leaf set. They will go into pint-sized containers under the dome for an additional 2 leaf sets, then the final pots for a short veg.

The next day, the last seedling breaks the surface. 8/8 germinate which is generally the standard for any seeds(Sannies) that do not show physical damage.

gallery_7190_3210_166804.jpg

And a while later, after planting, you will see something like this. LEDs are great for seedlings.

gallery_7190_3454_322979.jpg

Brock Fucking Samson :showoff:

gallery_7190_3033_140869.png

Guest BrockSamson

well no shit.... hot topic (everybody seems to have their own way) but for the time being I'm going to go with the Rev paper towel method (maybe fuck around with the h202 on the purple ducksfoot freebees).

Thanks a lot for the replies everybody. I'll post up some pictures of my trial run 2-3 seeds and then the main cash crop (30 seeds) after that Hopefully with this new knowledge I won't flush 4 hundo down the drain

all of the above methods will work fine, I soak overnight and to the paper towel they go.

I will add one thing that you need viable seeds and this time of year, in the northern hemisphere, receiving seeds in the mail the seeds might get baked from the heat or x-ray at customs or ......

cheers

• Like 1

Guest BrockSamson

I didn't think that those X-rays fucked with the seeds, but then again I could be wrong

lol burn money......I'll piss my pants before I do that (also depends how much money, i"m not going to piss my pants for no 5 bucks)

funny stuff Brock, rant away... the x-ray comment was just for the unknown of what happens during the delivery process lol. I received an order last week, sat in the metal post box for 5 hours on 100 F , they are probably ok.

cheers

I didn't think that those X-rays fucked with the seeds, but then again I could be wrong

lol burn money......I'll piss my pants before I do that (also depends how much money, i"m not going to piss my pants for no 5 bucks)

I remember when I was in the navy in 1980. I was a total stoner in San Diego. Most of us were. Anyway, we met and worked with people from all over the country. I worked with this one guy named Green from Washington DC. He was one of the funniest guys I ever met. We were given these two new guys that were green and in culture shock to do our grunt work. Green took them to the mop closet to put them to work about the minute they showed up. I tagged along for some reason. When we were in the closet with nothing for illumination but a single bare bulb he tells them he would have sex with a man for money. This came out of nowhere. He starts talking louder and louder, he was trying to freak these two new kids out. He said, "Not no million dollars either, I would do it for $100". He went on and on about how the pay and the sex would go. After some time his girl friend (another sailor btw) comes into the broom closet and tells him, "We are right across this wall, me, the chief and a couple others. We heard every single word you said". I about died. Nothing was ever said about it again, at least not when I was around. I think those kids were sufficiently freaked out on their first navy assignment.

Guest BrockSamson

lmao that's hilarious, I'm sure those 2 were expecting some seamen jokes, but definitely nothing along those lines

well no shit.... hot topic (everybody seems to have their own way) but for the time being I'm going to go with the Rev paper towel method (maybe fuck around with the h202 on the purple ducksfoot freebees).

Plants treat 3% H2O2 like water. It doesn't harm them in the least. If you're concerned, dilute it by half. Then google peroxide and seedlings. All sorts of gardeners use it, not just Cannabis growers. If you ever have issues with some microbe or fungus on seedlings, do not hesitate to use it for a second.

I just germed:

2 Shackzilla fems

1 KF fem

1 Mad Sci. fem

6 Chocolate Cheese regulars

putting them in H2O2 on Saturday night. Today, all but one Chocolate Cheese is up and happy in all its seedling glory.

• Like 1

I use 1.5ml per gallon of 35% greenhouse grade H202 in my DWC setup.

It's solely for sterilizing the res, I'm definitely not giving it to the plants to use. It might add oxygen for a tenth of a second until it bubbles off.

Not to be used in an organic situation.

• Like 1

H2O2 is also a great solution to use if you have a tendency to overwater; overwatering depletes all the O2 in the rhizosphere... H2O2 will put some of the air back in the soil.

Caution: H2O2 will kill the myco in your soil... use sparingly.